Fire shuts down J and Z service

R68 Subway Car

http://mta.info/status/serviceStatus.html

From the MTA Service Alert Desk:

Due to a smoke condition on the street near the 111th Street Station, there is no and train service in both directions between the Crescent Street Station and the Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer Station.

Customers are advised to take the Q24, Q56 and shuttle buses as an alternative for service between the Crescent Street Station and the Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer Station.

Please expect delays in and train service at this time.

I got caught in this. I was pretty elated, having randomly caught the last skip-stop train on my way to Jamaica. We were stuck in Chauncey Street for quite a bit. At Broadway Junction one train was being turned around on the center track, while another train (a (J) I'm guessing) was in Broadway Junction on the Queens-bound track.

We didn't know about the fire at first. One guy in the cab with the T/O made a single announcement about it, but it was kind of hard to make out because of a train going to Manhattan.

At Broadway Junction, the C/R announces that the next stop would Alabama Ave (which the (Z) doesn't stop at, or at least is not supposed to :))

I thought it would just be a regular "unscheduled" (Z) stop at Alabama, but eventually we were informed that we would be running local to Crescent St, the last stop. Only then were we clearly informed of the fire at 111th St.

Crescent St was naturally packed. People were going down to taxis or to be picked up or to walk or whatever. We tried to spread the word about the (Q56) up at Jamaica (one woman expressing sheer disbelief about having to walk up there) but eventually I just decided to postpone my trip to Jamaica and head home.

I hopped on the first Manhattan-bound train to come in from the relay. Except it was still signed up as a (Z) to Jamaica Center, announcements and all. The C/R's manual announcements weren't all that helpful.

Some people got on the train going to Manhattan, thinking it was going to Jamaica, including some non-English speakers. The English-speaking passengerd I had to tell the signs were wrong, the other ones I couldn't really do anything for even though they directly approached me (about directions, I'm guessing), but it looks like almost everybody destined for Queens vacated in time. At least one person backtracked to Broadway Junction for the (A), though.

Irrelevant, but Skip-stop really needs to be expanded. Stop being cheap, (MTA)!

You should've directed Jamaica passengers to take the Q24 at Atlantic. The Q56 was on detour due to the fire anyway.

Not gonna lie, the Q24 completely slipped my mind. In hindsight, that would've been a good idea.

Of course, the Q24 would work for people heading to Jamaica, but for those not it would leave them a bit out of their way. Better than nothing, I guess.

Yes. I live right a block away from the fire location. The are taking myrtle to lefferts to atlantic & then the same route reversed. The Q56 is going down 111 & then over to van wyck then back to jamaica. The J is being covered with subway shuttles. I took some pics & I will post them later.

Archived