West vs East side IRT

6 Lexington Ave

We should have extended the Metro North system from Grand Central to the Fulton Street Transit Center. Having through service commuter rail in Urban areas takes pressure off connecting Rail service , Philly , Paris , London , Berlin and Tokyo have this and it takes pressure of there connecting Rail services. It also boosts Ridership on the commuter rail network by offering a one seat ride option. There should also be a commuter rail from Jersey City / Hoboken to Atlantic Terminal via Fulton Street Transit Center. That would take pressure off the PATH and (2)(3)(4)(5)trains , its time we consider other things besides subways expansions in this region. Fixing the commuter rail network is one of them , through running service would take pressure off just about every Subway line in this region. After talking with a few Civil Engineer frineds the plan below is feasible and would do alot to the reliving the pressure on the (4)(5)(6) & (1)(2)(3). Now of course the lines would need to be deep ,at least 150ft below the street but that's not a problem in this region.

Downtown-Manhattan-Regional-Rail-Map.jpg

New-York-Regional-Rail-Coda.jpg

East side only has one line.... this is a bit of an unfair comparison....

It's no accident that the East side has the higher bus ridership & the higher subway ridership.... this is a direct reflection of the fact that there is a dire need for another subway line on the east side..... I think it really is that simple....

But this is mass transit we are talking about. The US Government has recently turned to giving bonds and cash to transit development including light rail.

Well this country is starting to switch back to PPP's which means alot of stalled projects will get built.

I ride the (1)(2), and (3) trains to work, and back every so often, and those lines are more frequent and less overcrowded then the (4)(5), and (6) trains which I have ridden to see relatives, and when I needed to travel to the East Side. The only IRT train line I have never ridden was, and still is the (7).

they didn't have much of a choice, they weren't as sue happy in the 1880s. I also don't think the Bronx residents though that badly of it, since thier only other option to get into the city that didn't take all day involed the New York Central.

But still hey could have made the bronx Completely underground but they were to lazy to to get the money to blow up bedrocks so they made it complete elevated.

I ride the (1)(2), and (3) trains to work, and back every so often, and those lines are more frequent and less overcrowded then the (4)(5), and (6) trains which I have ridden to see relatives, and when I needed to travel to the East Side. The only IRT train line I have never ridden was, and still is the (7).

The Seventh Av Line (1)(2)(3) is not as crowded as the Lex, but it's still pretty crowded (especially the (2)). And as far as I know, the (2) isn't all that frequent, and the (4)/(6) are.

The real topic should be A-Division ridership vs B-Division ridership. If the A-Division comes anywhere close given the B-Division has far more lines than we know for sure where the crowds are at.

Considering the overall service lengths of the two divisions, the A-Division is far busier in terms of passengers/mile. I attribute this to the fact that development sprang up around the IRT since, after all, it was the first subway, and still runs the fastest routes between important points, and the service always seems to be better. Between 14th and 125th, more people use the IRT than IND on the West Side even though both have relatively similar routes (and the IRT's is actually longer), in part because the local/express setup is more conducive to better and more distributed passenger movement and allows passengers to travel between a myriad of different places faster and more efficiently. Only the Queens Boulevard, Canarsie, and Manhattan Bridge sections of the B-Division have significant passenger volumes on par with the A-Division, which is constantly busy even when other lines seem to be pretty empty.

Archived