S46/96 service to Teleport Business Park

LRG

Well, I would like it if it would help postpone a fare hike, but that probably wouldn't happen either.

And a certain someone hasn't gotten back to me yet, regarding my proposal. :mad: Maybe if I could get in contact with her, I could throw the S40/S46 idea to see if it helps my idea become cost-neutral.

LOL! Yeah good luck with that one... And good luck with you know who getting back to you... I bet if you contacted her they'd say that she was still on vacation. :o Well there's always the next board meeting to attend... :)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL! Yeah good luck with that one... And good luck with you know who getting back to you... I bet if you contacted her they'd say that she was still on vacation. :o Well there's always the next board meeting to attend... :)

Yeah, assuming I can get the day off from school which doesn't seem likely. ;)

If you happen to go, could you just throw it out that you submitted a proposal (I mean technically, the S83 half of the proposal I sent in was yours) and they never got back to you? Thanks. :tup:

I have no idea why they didn't consider it during the last round of reductions. They'd rather eliminate all service from an area (like on the Q79) than make something that inconveniences some riders (I'd be willing to say that the S46 south of Forest Avenue doesn't get much more than the 650 riders the Q79 did, and they would still have service)

OK, then maybe I'll include it as some other proposal that costs money, so the whole thing ends up being cost-neutral, like my S93 proposal (to sum it up, it's the one on my signature)

p1) ....is why I'm leery of ANY extension of a low-ridership route...

Only instance I can think of where that has worked, is with the Q21... but of course, that's MTABus, and... yeah...

Woodhaven Blvd riders should be thanking their lucky stars the Q11/21 aren't NYCT routes.... but I don't wanna get toooo o/t; we're already there w/ this whole S40/46 thing.....

I'd rather the S40 stay where it is, instead of extending it to some low density area (regarding if they're in the middle of building it up)... which will make it all the more easier for the MTA to either drastically cut service, and/or plot to get rid of the route in the distant future....

p2) fine by me, fam... anyone that frequents the bus section here enough, knows how I feel about the MTA & cost neutrality....

if you do bring it up as part of some other proposal, that would be a discussion I wouldn't partake in - Simply b/c I don't care about the MTA's books... I'm not on here to voice my opinion on ways the MTA can save money.... My focus has, and always will be on the riding public of these buses.....

that's just me....

....If they were to cut back, it's not like they're going to take the savings and improve service elsewhere....

I swear I was gonna make this exact point last night.... It's long been a common misconception in the transit community....

p1) ....is why I'm leery of ANY extension of a low-ridership route...

Only instance I can think of where that has worked, is with the Q21... but of course, that's MTABus, and... yeah...

Woodhaven Blvd riders should be thanking their lucky stars the Q11/21 aren't NYCT routes.... but I don't wanna get toooo o/t; we're already there w/ this whole S40/46 thing.....

I'd rather the S40 stay where it is, instead of extending it to some low density area (regarding if they're in the middle of building it up)... which will make it all the more easier for the MTA to either drastically cut service, and/or plot to get rid of the route in the distant future....

p2) fine by me, fam... anyone that frequents the bus section here enough, knows how I feel about the MTA & cost neutrality....

if you do bring it up as part of some other proposal, that would be a discussion I wouldn't partake in - Simply b/c I don't care about the MTA's books... I'm not on here to voice my opinion on ways the MTA can save money.... My focus has, and always will be on the riding public of these buses.....

that's just me....

I swear I was gonna make this exact point last night.... It's long been a common misconception in the transit community....

I'm still not seeing what you're saying about the S40. Yeah, ridership is relatively low (Around 5,000 riders per day), but it isn't totally empty or anything. I just can't picture the MTA eliminating the route, and even if they did, they would still have to have something running down South Avenue. Unlike every other cut in NYC, where there was still a route left, taking away South Avenue service would literally leave people stranded.

I mean as of right now, the S40 already ends in a low-density area. You have a movie theater, a Home Depot, and a trailer park, and that's it, and I son't see any indication that they're cutting it back.

Like I said, this matches the demand with the service levels. South Avenue doesn't need the same level of service that the S46 provides to Castleton Avenue.

And while I do think that the MTA shouldn't be wasting money on excess service (I mean, it's also using taxpayer money in addition to fares), I do think they should expand service when the benefit is well worth the cost. I have my own ideas for how the SI routes should be structured: Some areas would gain service and some areas would lose service, but even though the MTA would be spending more money overall, they would be getting more value for it in terms of customer service.

I'm still not seeing what you're saying about the S40. Yeah, ridership is relatively low (Around 5,000 riders per day), but it isn't totally empty or anything. I just can't picture the MTA eliminating the route, and even if they did, they would still have to have something running down South Avenue. Unlike every other cut in NYC, where there was still a route left, taking away South Avenue service would literally leave people stranded.

You don't wanna see what I'm saying, is more like it....

As far as the issue of something runnin down south av.....

Which is why the S46 should be left alone !

I mean as of right now, the S40 already ends in a low-density area. You have a movie theater, a Home Depot, and a trailer park, and that's it, and I son't see any indication that they're cutting it back.

That's b/c the current S40 is more of a coverage route on the north shore... I don't think any SI bus rider on the north shore wants to know what it would be like, if the S46 was the northmost east-west route... The 40 doesn't have the riderbase the S46, S48, etc. has..... There is no need to extend it any further south... Don't fix what isn't broken.....

Like I said, this matches the demand with the service levels. South Avenue doesn't need the same level of service that the S46 provides to Castleton Avenue.

Advocate for more short turn 46's then..... Simple concept dude....

And while I do think that the MTA shouldn't be wasting money on excess service (I mean, it's also using taxpayer money in addition to fares), I do think they should expand service when the benefit is well worth the cost. I have my own ideas for how the SI routes should be structured: Some areas would gain service and some areas would lose service, but even though the MTA would be spending more money overall, they would be getting more value for it in terms of customer service.

That all sounds nice on paper, but you have to realize the MTA does not care about the rider him/herself.....

Yeah, assuming I can get the day off from school which doesn't seem likely. :(

If you happen to go, could you just throw it out that you submitted a proposal (I mean technically, the S83 half of the proposal I sent in was yours) and they never got back to you? Thanks. :tup:

Yeah, I'll need you to remind me of when it will be this way I can go before I walk up the street over to the office. What else did you present to them on the S83 aside from what I sent and presented to them via e-mail and at the board meeting? I mean I presented them with not only a cost neutral way to implement the service, but I also named all of the stops that would be limited stops. I think you broke down the cost factor right?

Yeah, well you know what's funny? They claim (according to a report on NY1) that they're going to take the monies that they're keeping from the storm and reinvest in service improvements instead of refunding folks as they should be on their Unlimited Metrocard. :( Talk about a big load of sh*t! It's a nice way to keep people's money (except for mine since I already got mine back :P LOL) and when everything dies down they'll keep the money and do as they please with it.

Advocate for more short turn 46's then..... Simple concept dude....

That all sounds nice on paper, but you have to realize the MTA does not care about the rider him/herself.....

Aside from that I can't imagine them saving that much money by having some S46s short turned.

1) You don't wanna see what I'm saying, is more like it....

As far as the issue of something runnin down south av.....

Which is why the S46 should be left alone !

2) That's b/c the current S40 is more of a coverage route on the north shore... I don't think any SI bus rider on the north shore wants to know what it would be like, if the S46 was the northmost east-west route... The 40 doesn't have the riderbase the S46, S48, etc. has..... There is no need to extend it any further south... Don't fix what isn't broken.....

3) Advocate for more short turn 46's then..... Simple concept dude....

4) That all sounds nice on paper, but you have to realize the MTA does not care about the rider him/herself.....

1) But running down South Avenue makes the S46 more unreliable to everybody. There are plenty of times when I've seen buses bunched up along South Avenue (southbound), and the potential for delays (especially now that it serves the Teleport) negatively affects everybody east of Mariners' Harbor.

During the school year, I usually take the S46/S96 from Walker Street/Morningstar Road to my school. It's a short distance, but I'm exhausted at that time of the morning and don't want to walk/run to school. There have been times when there was a 20 minute gap in service and then the S96 comes bunched up with the S46. Had the buses started at Forest Avenue, the bunching wouldn't have been as bad, and it would've been easier to control it.

2) The S40 is more of a "coverage" route than the S46 and S48, but it still gets decent ridership, partially because of its speed.

3) The problem is that the S46's headways make it harder. Like I said, the ideal headway would be 20 minutes, but the S46 runs every 12 minutes. Sure, every other bus being sent there would result in 24 minute headways (which is close enough), but then it becomes harder to remember the schedule, as it isn't clockface. Plus, those extra few minutes mean extra crowding. You won't have buses flagging people, but there is the potential for buses to have a lot of standees.

4) I know. That's why I'm saying it's what I would do if I were in charge.

1) Yeah, I'll need you to remind me of when it will be this way I can go before I walk up the street over to the office. What else did you present to them on the S83 aside from what I sent and presented to them via e-mail and at the board meeting? I mean I presented them with not only a cost neutral way to implement the service, but I also named all of the stops that would be limited stops. I think you broke down the cost factor right?

2) Yeah, well you know what's funny? They claim (according to a report on NY1) that they're going to take the monies that they're keeping from the storm and reinvest in service improvements instead of refunding folks as they should be on their Unlimited Metrocard. :( Talk about a big load of sh*t! It's a nice way to keep people's money (except for mine since I already got mine back :P LOL) and when everything dies down they'll keep the money and do as they please with it.

3) Aside from that I can't imagine them saving that much money by having some S46s short turned.

1) Yeah, I broke down the cost factor by showing how the headways could be adjusted to be cost-neutral (I can revise it a little bit if it ends up not being cost-neutral). I didn't see your proposal, but I'll take your word that you them the stops (actually I sent them a Google Map with the stops as backup).

By "revise", I would just increase the headways on the limited a little bit. (Rather than local and limited service every 15 minutes each, the limited could run every 20 minutes). It doesn't really matter: Once the service is implemented, they could adjust the headways as they see fit.

Here's the calendar:

Monday, September 26th

Metro-North & LI Committees Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:15 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:00 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:30 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 1:45 p.m.

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Security Committee Mtg. — 4:00 p.m.

Wednesday, September 28th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

2) Yeah right. Chances are that they spent it on all of the preparation costs for the storm and for cleaning up the storm damage. There's nothing left for service improvements at this point (not that they would've made any significant improvements anyway)

3) No, but then again, each individual service reduction didn't save that much money either.

Yeah, well you know what's funny? They claim (according to a report on NY1) that they're going to take the monies that they're keeping from the storm and reinvest in service improvements instead of refunding folks as they should be on their Unlimited Metrocard. :( Talk about a big load of sh*t! It's a nice way to keep people's money (except for mine since I already got mine back :P LOL) and when everything dies down they'll keep the money and do as they please with it.

hah....

I got the brooklyn, manhattan, williamsburg, verrazano, bayonne, goethals, outerbridge, gil hodges, cross bay, willis av, 3rd av, macombs dam, tappan zee, newburgh beacon (what up Shortline !) and the goddamn kingston-rhinecliff bridges ALL up for bidding if anyone's fool enough to believe that !!

^^ all off the top of my head... I know I missed a few though.

1) But running down South Avenue makes the S46 more unreliable to everybody. There are plenty of times when I've seen buses bunched up along South Avenue (southbound), and the potential for delays (especially now that it serves the Teleport) negatively affects everybody east of Mariners' Harbor.

During the school year, I usually take the S46/S96 from Walker Street/Morningstar Road to my school. It's a short distance, but I'm exhausted at that time of the morning and don't want to walk/run to school. There have been times when there was a 20 minute gap in service and then the S96 comes bunched up with the S46. Had the buses started at Forest Avenue, the bunching wouldn't have been as bad, and it would've been easier to control it.

2) The S40 is more of a "coverage" route than the S46 and S48, but it still gets decent ridership, partially because of its speed.

3) The problem is that the S46's headways make it harder. Like I said, the ideal headway would be 20 minutes, but the S46 runs every 12 minutes. Sure, every other bus being sent there would result in 24 minute headways (which is close enough), but then it becomes harder to remember the schedule, as it isn't clockface. Plus, those extra few minutes mean extra crowding. You won't have buses flagging people, but there is the potential for buses to have a lot of standees.

4) I know. That's why I'm saying it's what I would do if I were in charge.

1 & 3) The beautiful thing about numbers is that you can make them work to your advantage.... Hell, FWIW, decrease headways to 10 mins., and add more short turns.... there's nothin sayin the the S46 has to run on 12 min headways....

For the record, I am not trying to imply that ALL S46 runs should serve West shore plaza.... I am saying the core (the "full") route should remain running from west shore plz. to the ferry.....

But I will say though, It's appearing more & more as if you simply want the S46 to be more reliable (which by itself, there's nothin wrong with).... The problem I have is with the meshing of that reliability coming at the expense of the S40....

outside of money matters.... your attitude is one of, extend the S40 down south av to add more ridership on that route, and shorten the S46 to howland hook so that route won't be as delayed or w/e.... that is not realistic.... for that to all fall into place, is what you're hoping would end up happening....

2) lol.... why are you trying to convince me that the S40 gets riders.... I know it gets its share of riders...

If I felt the S40 was a virtually useless route that served hardly anyone, I would be calling for its discontinuation just as hard and as defiantly as I did for the old B37 & the old M18.....

Here's the calendar:

Monday, September 26th

Metro-North & LI Committees Mtg. — 8:30 a.m.

NYCT Committee Mtg. — 10:00 a.m.

MTA Bus Operations Committee Mtg. — 11:15 a.m.

B&T Committee Mtg. — 12:00 p.m.

Finance Committee Mtg. — 12:30 p.m.

CPOC Committee Mtg. — 1:45 p.m.

Audit Committee Mtg. — 3:00 p.m.

Security Committee Mtg. — 4:00 p.m.

Wednesday, September 28th

Board Mtg. — 9:30 a.m.

Danke schön! :cool: :tup:

2) Yeah right. Chances are that they spent it on all of the preparation costs for the storm and for cleaning up the storm damage. There's nothing left for service improvements at this point (not that they would've made any significant improvements anyway)

Not really. They'll be reimbursed for all of that as their insurance covers that, meanwhile they're still pocketing the monies that should be returned back to the customers that lost those days. Real slick I tell ya. LOL Better them than me though. :P Now that I think of it, I should've gotten my monies back for the car service I put out too. The customer rep from Amex was more than willing to just give me what I felt I was owed, but I didn't want to be greedy, so i just took the pro-rated amount for those two days. He probably heard how irritated I was (I said something to the effect of "They've got the audacity to tell us that we're not entitled to a refund..." :mad:) and knew about the whole Metrocard mess from the news, so he didn't even question me about it. LOL

3) No, but then again, each individual service reduction didn't save that much money either.

Yeah well try telling them that... :(

1 & 3) The beautiful thing about numbers is that you can make them work to your advantage.... Hell, FWIW, decrease headways to 10 mins., and add more short turns.... there's nothin sayin the the S46 has to run on 12 min headways....

For the record, I am not trying to imply that ALL S46 runs should serve West shore plaza.... I am saying the core (the "full") route should remain running from west shore plz. to the ferry.....

But I will say though, It's appearing more & more as if you simply want the S46 to be more reliable (which by itself, there's nothin wrong with).... The problem I have is with the meshing of that reliability coming at the expense of the S40....

outside of money matters.... your attitude is one of, extend the S40 down south av to add more ridership on that route, and shorten the S46 to howland hook so that route won't be as delayed or w/e.... that is not realistic.... for that to all fall into place, is what you're hoping would end up happening....

2) lol.... why are you trying to convince me that the S40 gets riders.... I know it gets its share of riders...

If I felt the S40 was a virtually useless route that served hardly anyone, I would be calling for its discontinuation just as hard and as defiantly as I did for the old B37 & the old M18.....

1) That might work. It would better distribute the service based on the passenger loads.

And yeah, that pretty much describes what I hope will happen. I mean, personally, it would be a mixed bag. I use it often to get to school (so the shorter route would benefit me), but I also sometimes use it to go home (and since I live south of Forest Avenue, it would make the trip harder).

But the thing is that I truly believe that there are people along South Avenue who want access to St. George but they're making their way up to the S40 because it's faster and less crowded. Yeah, riders going to Mariners' Harbor and Port Richmond (the sections by the S46) outnumber them, but I feel there are a large enough number of them to consider the swap for them.

By the way, does anybody know of any shuttles from the Teleport to St. George. I saw a sign at St. George, but I never had time to check it out.

1) Danke schön! :cool: :tup:

2) Not really. They'll be reimbursed for all of that as their insurance covers that, meanwhile they're still pocketing the monies that should be returned back to the customers that lost those days. Real slick I tell ya. LOL Better them than me though. :P Now that I think of it, I should've gotten my monies back for the car service I put out too. The customer rep from Amex was more than willing to just give me what I felt I was owed, but I didn't want to be greedy, so i just took the pro-rated amount for those two days. He probably heard how irritated I was (I said something to the effect of "They've got the audacity to tell us that we're not entitled to a refund..." :mad:) and knew about the whole Metrocard mess from the news, so he didn't even question me about it. LOL

3) Yeah well try telling them that... :(

1) De nada, or should I say Gern geschehen (Disclaimer: Translated with Google Translate :()

2) I remember a news channel saying that after another big storm, the MTA wasn't allowed to take out flood insurance, or something like that, so this is all on them.

3) The point I was trying to make was that each individual reduction didn't save a whole lot, but overall, it amounted to significant savings: $93 million.

Think about it: If everybody said "Oh, it doesn't save much", and the MTA listened, there wouldn't be any cuts, but there wouldn't be any savings either.

I mean, when you think of it on a per-passenger basis, the average passenger pays about $1.14, but the service on a certain portion of the route might cost the MTA $5 per passenger, so they're only paying about 22% of the cost of transporting them. I think it's reasonable for the MTA to try and bring the cost down.

1) That might work. It would better distribute the service based on the passenger loads.

And yeah, that pretty much describes what I hope will happen. I mean, personally, it would be a mixed bag. I use it often to get to school (so the shorter route would benefit me), but I also sometimes use it to go home (and since I live south of Forest Avenue, it would make the trip harder).

But the thing is that I truly believe that there are people along South Avenue who want access to St. George but they're making their way up to the S40 because it's faster and less crowded. Yeah, riders going to Mariners' Harbor and Port Richmond (the sections by the S46) outnumber them, but I feel there are a large enough number of them to consider the swap for them.

I get you, fam... Loud & clear.

It's not outlandish or preposterous a suggestion, b/c I do see some benefit.... However, I don't see a complete benefit on both ends of the ordeal.

The question (albeit, a rhetorical one) is.... is it, or would it be enough people down there (that are currently makin their way to S40's) to make the MTA go head & swap the 2 end terminals....

1) De nada, or should I say Gern geschehen (Disclaimer: Translated with Google Translate :P)

I can help with this....

Bitte (say it like... beet-uh) is the common way to say you're welcome...

you can also say bitteschön....

with gern geschehen (guy-urn guh-she-hen), you're sayin my pleasure/with pleasure....

^^ IMO, that would be the equivalent of sayin, you're welcome - and then blushing afterwards.... not exactly how a straight man would express his thanks to another man.... lol

I can help with this....

with gern geschehen (guy-urn guh-she-hen), you're sayin my pleasure/with pleasure....

^^ IMO, that would be the equivalent of sayin, you're welcome - and then blushing afterwards.... not exactly how a straight man would express his thanks to another man.... lol

1) De nada, or should I say Gern geschehen (Disclaimer: Translated with Google Translate :P)

LMAO... Das ist nicht güt mein Freund.... Yes, "Bitte" would be the correct response. Now you see why many companies use professional linguists instead of Google... Gives the saying "lost in translation" a new meaning. :eek: A French Canadian translator that I work with has sent me numerous pictures where they have translations done and they're blown up big with the company's logo say in airports or whatever and this one pic was a complete embarassment because the translation was completely wrong and damaging for the company's reputation. I must've laughed for a good few minutes w/that one.

2) I remember a news channel saying that after another big storm, the MTA wasn't allowed to take out flood insurance, or something like that, so this is all on them.

Yeah, right... "A" news channel saying that doesn't mean they won't be reimbursed.

3) The point I was trying to make was that each individual reduction didn't save a whole lot, but overall, it amounted to significant savings: $93 million.

Think about it: If everybody said "Oh, it doesn't save much", and the MTA listened, there wouldn't be any cuts, but there wouldn't be any savings either.

I mean, when you think of it on a per-passenger basis, the average passenger pays about $1.14, but the service on a certain portion of the route might cost the MTA $5 per passenger, so they're only paying about 22% of the cost of transporting them. I think it's reasonable for the MTA to try and bring the cost down.

Oh please... #1 there's something called subsidies that they get from the city and the state, which they get from.... US, the taxpayers... How many times are they supposed to tax us for the same damn services?? :mad: Yeah $1.14 but then add on the taxes they charge us on our cell phone bills, the commuter tax and other taxes, and that ride is no longer a $1.14...

It's not outlandish or preposterous a suggestion, b/c I do see some benefit.... However, I don't see a complete benefit on both ends of the ordeal.

The question (albeit, a rhetorical one) is.... is it, or would it be enough people down there (that are currently makin their way to S40's) to make the MTA go head & swap the 2 end terminals....

I can help with this....

That's a good question. I mean, you do see a decent crowd getting on/off at Forest Avenue, but I can't quite say where their destination is. Obviously, nobody's going west or north (or else they would use a different stop), so they all have to be going south or east, and from my observations, you see a few more people going east vs. going south (I obviously don't follow them, so I don't know if they're going east and then going south)

The good thing about the neighborhood is that nobody lives south of the SIE, so you're talking at most 1/2 mile extra to get to the S40 over the S46. I think there's a shuttle to the Teleport from St. George, so I don't think they would be using transit to reach the ferry, and obviously, nobody's going from the West Shore Plaza to the ferry.

And thanks for the translation help. I obviously wouldn't want to give the wrong impression. :eek:

1) LMAO... Das ist nicht güt mein Freund.... Yes, "Bitte" would be the correct response. Now you see why many companies use professional linguists instead of Google... Gives the saying "lost in translation" a new meaning. :eek: A French Canadian translator that I work with has sent me numerous pictures where they have translations done and they're blown up big with the company's logo say in airports or whatever and this one pic was a complete embarassment because the translation was completely wrong and damaging for the company's reputation. I must've laughed for a good few minutes w/that one.

2) Yeah, right... "A" news channel saying that doesn't mean they won't be reimbursed.

3) Oh please... #1 there's something called subsidies that they get from the city and the state, which they get from.... US, the taxpayers... How many times are they supposed to tax us for the same damn services?? :mad: Yeah $1.14 but then add on the taxes they charge us on our cell phone bills, the commuter tax and other taxes, and that ride is no longer a $1.14...

1) Yeah, I could see how it could translate it wrong. A lot of the problems probably have to do with idiomatic expressions and things like that. (Like "io ho bisogno di" being translated as "I have need of" instead of "I need")

2) True. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

3) But the subsidies might not necessarily cover the entire cost. The average cost of a bus ride (to them) is $2.93, so that means that every single rider has to pay $1.79 in subsidies (dedicated to the MTA) each time they ride.

Much of the fault lies with the government for not appropriating enough of the tax dollars to the MTA. You heard the whole thing last year when the legislature took $140 million away from the MTA.

1) Yeah, I could see how it could translate it wrong. A lot of the problems probably have to do with idiomatic expressions and things like that. (Like "io ho bisogno di" being translated as "I have need of" instead of "I need")

Well yeah "Avere bisogno di" is one of the idiomatic expressions and it should only be used when talking about being in need of some sort of thing. There are some things that the Google will never get because they are regional things. For example, in Southern Italy they like to use "tenere" when talking about "to have" much like it is used in Spanish and that is due to the Spanish influence in Southern Italy. The thing is the verb "tenere" in Italian means "to hold" but meaning can change depending on where it is being used, so I can say "Tengo molto denaro da spendere". I'm not sure if it would be translated as "I have a lot of money to spend" based on the meaning and different uses of "tenere" in Italian. "Tenere" can also be used in the sense of holding someone dear, like a girlfriend, like "A te ci tengo tanto" I care a lot about you.

2) True. I guess we'll have to see what happens.

We probably won't see what happens because it'll be kept hush. :mad:

3) But the subsidies might not necessarily cover the entire cost. The average cost of a bus ride (to them) is $2.93, so that means that every single rider has to pay $1.79 in subsidies (dedicated to the MTA) each time they ride.

Much of the fault lies with the government for not appropriating enough of the tax dollars to the MTA. You heard the whole thing last year when the legislature took $140 million away from the MTA.

Yeah, but the point is we pay far more than a $1.14 by way of taxes. Whether or not the (MTA) gets the money is another issue, and of course the ride won't be totally supplemented. Besides, most people know that they only rely on fares partially for revenue purposes and that the rest comes from other sources.

1) Well yeah "Avere bisogno di" is one of the idiomatic expressions and it should only be used when talking about being in need of some sort of thing. There are some things that the Google will never get because they are regional things. For example, in Southern Italy they like to use "tenere" when talking about "to have" much like it is used in Spanish and that is due to the Spanish influence in Southern Italy. The thing is the verb "tenere" in Italian means "to hold" but meaning can change depending on where it is being used, so I can say "Tengo molto denaro da spendere". I'm not sure if it would be translated as "I have a lot of money to spend" based on the meaning and different uses of "tenere" in Italian. "Tenere" can also be used in the sense of holding someone dear, like a girlfriend, like "A te ci tengo tanto" I care a lot about you.

2) We probably won't see what happens because it'll be kept hush. :mad:

3) Yeah, but the point is we pay far more than a $1.14 by way of taxes. Whether or not the (MTA) gets the money is another issue, and of course the ride won't be totally supplemented. Besides, most people know that they only rely on fares partially for revenue purposes and that the rest comes from other sources.

1) Google says it's "I keep a lot of money to spend", and yeah, it does sound a little like Spanish. It would be "Yo tengo mucho plata para gastar" (a lot of regions use "dinero", but I always knew it as "plata")

2) Well, if we see a bunch of service improvements, they were telling the truth, and if not, they were lying.

3) (Bolded) And there lies the problem. Yeah, we pay a lot of taxes, but the MTA is not getting its share. You never know: Those taxes that are supposed to go to the MTA could be going to the general fund.

Of course, there is plenty of waste in all departments. If the departments got rid of that waste, there wouldn't be a need to take funding from the MTA.

I can help with this....

The disadvantage of the terminal swap will be offset by letting those bound for where S46 goes to transfer to S46 the S46's frequency will help as well. Plus the S40 won't have many lateness problems as the S46 so it's a better route to do the job

What the hell, has this thread become an online modern language session?

It's hooked on phoenics... The foreign language version... :(

1) Google says it's "I keep a lot of money to spend", and yeah, it does sound a little like Spanish. It would be "Yo tengo mucho plata para gastar" (a lot of regions use "dinero", but I always knew it as "plata")

Yeah, I hear "plata" quite a bit... It's more colloquial than anything.

2) Well, if we see a bunch of service improvements, they were telling the truth, and if not, they were lying.

Yeah, I won't wait around for them... B)

3) (Bolded) And there lies the problem. Yeah, we pay a lot of taxes, but the MTA is not getting its share. You never know: Those taxes that are supposed to go to the MTA could be going to the general fund.

Of course, there is plenty of waste in all departments. If the departments got rid of that waste, there wouldn't be a need to take funding from the MTA.

Yeah, I can attest to that... :)

So tell me am I as sarcastic in person as I am on the forums? :) I'm asking since I'm always slamming the (MTA) 90% of the time... I think when I saw you at the board meeting I was slamming them then too. LOL :mad:

It's hooked on phoenics... The foreign language version... :(

Yeah, I won't wait around for them... B)

Yeah, I can attest to that... :)

So tell me am I as sarcastic in person as I am on the forums? :) I'm asking since I'm always slamming the (MTA) 90% of the time... I think when I saw you at the board meeting I was slamming them then too. LOL :mad:

a bit too much slamming will only get you so far try using their strengths and adding those elements to your proposals

The disadvantage of the terminal swap will be offset by letting those bound for where S46 goes to transfer to S46 the S46's frequency will help as well. Plus the S40 won't have many lateness problems as the S46 so it's a better route to do the job

I dunno. The idea has its pros and cons, but I'm not expecting a whole lot of people to make the transfer to the S46: They'd just walk to the S40 outright if that happened.

So tell me am I as sarcastic in person as I am on the forums? ;) I'm asking since I'm always slamming the (MTA) 90% of the time... I think when I saw you at the board meeting I was slamming them then too. LOL :mad:

That's one of the words where I didn't know any other translation for it. Some of my friends asked for help with their Spanish homework, and they were mentioning money, so I said the word "plata". They go isn't it "dinero", and showed me their notes. Well, you learn something new everyday.

Another one of those words was "omnibus". My friends said the teacher taught it to them as "autobus", and then I also heard somebody say "guagua" on the street, and my mother said it also meant bus.

And yeah, you did seem a little bit sarcastic in person, but not as sarcastic as you do here (you were shaking your head when I mentioned the long commute I had to get to the meeting). But when you gave the speech, you were all serious.

a bit too much slamming will only get you so far try using their strengths and adding those elements to your proposals

That's what he did last time, but apparently, we're not important enough to get back to. :mad:

That's one of the words where I didn't know any other translation for it. Some of my friends asked for help with their Spanish homework, and they were mentioning money, so I said the word "plata". They go isn't it "dinero", and showed me their notes. Well, you learn something new everyday.

Another one of those words was "omnibus". My friends said the teacher taught it to them as "autobus", and then I also heard somebody say "guagua" on the street, and my mother said it also meant bus.

And yeah, you did seem a little bit sarcastic in person, but not as sarcastic as you do here (you were shaking your head when I mentioned the long commute I had to get to the meeting). But when you gave the speech, you were all serious.

LOL... That's funny that you had never heard of "dinero". I actually never use plata even though I hear it a lot, perhaps because I used to teach Spanish and knew that students would have problems, since "plata" can also mean silver. Aside from that it is also close to "denaro" which is "money" in Italian, so it just feels right with me using it and all. ;)

"Omnibus"...?? :eek: I have never heard that one before. "Autobus"... LOL Certainly taught in school, and "guagua" is used in some Spanish speaking countries (esp. the Caribbean) and does mean "bus". For example, a Dominican would laugh if you used "autobus". They use "guagua" pretty much as an exclusive thing. The thing is "guagua" can also mean baby in some countries, so it depends on where you're at.

As for my sarcasm, I'm always sarcastic, but I think it shows moreso here than in person. Whether you realized it or not, even though I was serious giving my presentation to the (MTA), the whole idea of me using their numbers about ridership on the X1, X10 and X17 was certainly done with a little sting since they always run to the numbers to defend themselves, so what I was basically saying, albeit in a indirect and respectful way was "Here are your own numbers, now tell me why the f*ck we can't get more service later on at night?, especially since we have not only the longest commute out of the five boroughs, but the longest commute in the entire country?" :mad:

That's why I made the point about them saying how they couldn't provide more service because they didn't have any space in their depots. I went on to point out that they themselves had promised service improvements for Staten Island when the new depots opened and now that those depots were opened, I was basically trying to say in a nice way that we're watching and waiting and not letting them slide out of their promise and are holding them to their word. ;)

LOL... That's funny that you had never heard of "dinero". I actually never use plata even though I hear it a lot, perhaps because I used to teach Spanish and knew that students would have problems, since "plata" can also mean silver. Aside from that it is also close to "denaro" which is "money" in Italian, so it just feels right with me using it and all. ;)

"Omnibus"...?? :eek: I have never heard that one before. "Autobus"... LOL Certainly taught in school, and "guagua" is used in some Spanish speaking countries (esp. the Caribbean) and does mean "bus". For example, a Dominican would laugh if you used "autobus". They use "guagua" pretty much as an exclusive thing. The thing is "guagua" can also mean baby in some countries, so it depends on where you're at.

As for my sarcasm, I'm always sarcastic, but I think it shows moreso here than in person. Whether you realized it or not, even though I was serious giving my presentation to the (MTA), the whole idea of me using their numbers about ridership on the X1, X10 and X17 was certainly done with a little sting since they always run to the numbers to defend themselves, so what I was basically saying, albeit in a indirect and respectful way was "Here are your own numbers, now tell me why the f*ck we can't get more service later on at night?, especially since we have not only the longest commute out of the five boroughs, but the longest commute in the entire country?" :mad:

That's why I made the point about them saying how they couldn't provide more service because they didn't have any space in their depots. I went on to point out that they themselves had promised service improvements for Staten Island when the new depots opened and now that those depots were opened, I was basically trying to say in a nice way that we're watching and waiting and not letting them slide out of their promise and are holding them to their word. ;)

Actually, it made sense to me once my Italian teacher used "denaro" because it sounded close to "dinero".

But I think the reason I always used "plata" and "omnibus" is because I never really had any extensive conversations outside of my family (who obviously uses the same words). They know the "official" translations, but they just used the words in casual conversation.

And yeah, I guess you were sarcastic, but since you were completely professional about it, it didn't seem that way. I guess it makes sense now, since over here, you don't seem to care about numbers so much.

Like when I said my speech, I mentioned some numbers, but that's not out of character for me.

And yeah, I guess you were sarcastic, but since you were completely professional about it, it didn't seem that way. I guess it makes sense now, since over here, you don't seem to care about numbers so much.

Like when I said my speech, I mentioned some numbers, but that's not out of character for me.

Yeah, the thing is it wasn't so much about me using numbers, but moreso me making a point to them that I was using their OWN numbers about ridership on those lines, so in sum my point indirectly was, there are you own numbers, so give me a BS reason why we can't get more service now... LOL ;)

Yeah, the thing is it wasn't so much about me using numbers, but moreso me making a point to them that I was using their OWN numbers about ridership on those lines, so in sum my point indirectly was, there are you own numbers, so give me a BS reason why we can't get more service now... LOL ;)

Well, there's no need for numbers. It's common knowledge (among transit fans, but also among SI express riders) that those routes have the highest ridership.

Archived