MTA Metro-North to Begin 'Quiet Car' Pilot Program on the Hudson and Harlem Lines

Shortline Bus

MTA Metro-North to Begin Quiet Car Pilot Program on the Hudson and Harlem Lines

MTA website public notice

'Metro-North is launching a Quiet Car pilot program on select peak hour trains on the Hudson and Harlem lines beginning Monday, October 17.

The LAST car on certain AM peak trains and the FIRST car on certain PM peak trains will be set aside for customers who would like an environment free of cell phones, loud conversations and all manner of beeps and buzzes. These trains will be designated by a capital Q in the timetable.

The program will be voluntary in nature with customers self-monitoring. However conductors will issue "shh" cards to customers who are non-compliant.

In addition, announcements will be made informing and reminding customers of the location of the Quiet Car and its restrictions. The use of electronic devices in the Quiet Car will be prohibited including cell phones, iPods, DVD players, laptops, etc. unless the device can be used in a manner that does not create any noise. If headphones are used, they must be at a volume that cannot be heard by others.

Customers can converse in the Quiet Car but they must use subdued voices.

Metro-North will evaluate customer reaction to the pilot program and decide whether to expand it. A similar pilot last summer on the West-of-Hudson's Port Jervis and Pascack Valley lines conducted in conjunction with NJTRANSIT was well received and was recently expanded to all peak trains."

http://www.mta.info/mta/news/releases/?en=110922-HQ58

Yeah lets see if this ill work.................

And this is not new to me, as I already heard in person with the Prez of MNR that it was coming.

NJT (Non MNR WOH), heard it failed.

It hasn't failed on the non NEC lines , and Septa / MBTA its worked very well...

Well with the economy the way it is, I think most of the loudmouths have been laid off. The X30 has been quite delightful this entire week and in general it has been quiet compared to say 2007 or around 2008 before the recession took full grip of the economy. No riff and no noise to speak of. The riff raffers are few and far in between now and they keep raising the fares on the commuter trains and express buses you'll see less and less of the noise and nonsense. ;) :tup:

In one of the my college dorms there was a quiet floor below me and it worked out great. I was generally quiet except for when I put on my heavy metal. I actually had a chick come to my suite and ask me to turn down my music. LOL ;)

I know how you feel.

I have been on some LIRR, NJT, MNRR, bus/subway, where loudspeakers talk loud with their friends by person to person or talking on cell phone.

I personally don't as loud talkers do not bother me no matter how loud they are I can still sleep through it. But the quiet car would still be nice. What I can't stand is crazzies that gets me in the next car in seconds.

Once this expands I'd like to see this enforced on a Stamford local on a sat night after 12:00. Peak trains are always quiet anyway. So what's the big deal? That like testing how long a car can stay clean if it's parked in garage vs. under a fruiting tree.

I don't think the (MTA) will ever have a 'quiet' car program on late evening/overnight LIRR or Metro North since conductors usually 'close' at least 1-2 cars on most of those trips.

Plus i am already prepared for people who are 'wasted' anyhow and do not expect to get much 'quiet' or sleep especially on Friday/Saturday Nights.

Archived