MTA: Remembering the Third Avenue El

R188 7857

The Third Avenue El ceased to operate in 1973, but still remains a part of New York City's history.

The IRT Third Avenue Line, commonly known as the Third Avenue El, was an elevated railway running from Lower Manhattan to the Bronx. Opened in 1878, it was originally operated by the Suburban Rapid Transit Company and later acquired by the Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT) and eventually became part of the New York subway system.

After the Second, Sixth and Ninth Avenue Els were demolished in the early 1940's, only the Third Avenue El remained, intended to stay in use until the Second Avenue Subway was built to replace it. Pressure to close the Third Avenue El from real estate interests soon followed.

The Third Avenue El was closed in sections from 1950 to 1973 starting with the closure of the South Ferry spur, which connected South Ferry to Chatham Square. The City Hall spur closed in 1953, which started at Park Row in Manhattan and then connected with the South Ferry spur at Chatham Square.

On May 12, 1955 the main portion of the line closed from Chatham Square all the way to East 149th Street in the Bronx, thus ending elevated line service in Manhattan.

In the 1960s, the remaining service in the Bronx was renamed the 70(8) line running from East 149th Street to Gun Hill Road until it closed in April 1973.

In the Bronx, the 70(8) was replaced by the Bx55 Limited bus only making the stops the former line made. The Bx55 was one of the first to have free transfers with the subway with the transfer points at the 3rd Avenue – 149th Street and Gun Hill Road/White Plains Road stations. When free bus-to-subway transfers were introduced system-wide in 1997, the Bx55 lost this noteworthy status.

See pictures at :

http://mta.info/news/stories/?story=414

When free bus-to-subway transfers were introduced system-wide in 1997, the Bx55 lost this noteworthy status... which is why we're slowly eliminating it.

I'm surprised the (MTA) left out that last part :P

Wow, I still can't believe there was actually an el there. Riding the 15 or 55 on 3rd Ave now, you'd never know it was there. That's history for ya.

the 70(8)/(S) is one of those lines that I doubt could have survived today. Same with the Culver 70(SS) they were lightly used shuttles with very specific car requirements.

The 70(MJ) was the worst offender of that, becasue it required IRT spec cars but the part north of the (J) was built to proper standards.

The Bowling Green 70(SS) was another line whos time came and I doubt the service would ahve worked today, especially in the inner loop South Ferry station where the conductor wouldnt be able to see the doors open and closing.

There are nearby Metro North stations to third avenue, Melrose,Tremont, Fordham, and Williamsbridge.

theres probably not much demand for the Bx55 then

There is demand. Its a limited version of the BX15 running from Mott Haven to Fordham Plaza and Williamsbridge. The MTA is just cutting the BX55 so people would be forced to use the BX15 along 3rd Avenue and the BX41 (And BX41 LTD) on US 1/Webster Avenue & Melrose Ave.

People along 3rd and Webster Avenue lack subway service which is only provided the by the MABSTOA crosstown buses and BX15/BX32/BX41. The other option being the MNCR Harlem Line at Melrose and Tremont(which does not pickup high ridership). Subway alternative would be the IND Concourse or the IRT WPR via BX15/BX41 to ether Gun Hill Road(Bx41/55) or 149th Melrose.

you would t hink Melrose and Tremont would be busier stations considering theres no subway in that area.

No way, i mean its not busy lol. Ive been to those stations in the last few years and every time i go during rush hour theres like 5-15 people getting off on North White Plains/Southeast bound train. Heading to GCT i see about 1 to 5 people or none.

While Bx55 ridership has fallen since 1997, the (MTA) is really not helping the matter.

They're trying to push people on the Bx15.

Hence the Bx15 receiving artics while the Bx55 lost its evening and weekend service. The 15 still uses artics even when the 55 is running. Just last month, the (MTA) decreased Bx55 service all day long and added to Bx15 service during part of the day (I don't remember which part)

Of course, for a Limted the 55 is pretty slow.... t's more of a skip-stop 15 than an actual Limited... between Fordham Plaza and the Hub I believe you can count on two hands the stops the Bx15 makes that the 55 doesn't. I agree that the Third Avenue el might not have made it today.... the Bx55 makes all the same stops as the el did, and now it's losing ground to the Bx15.

The (MTA) should cut some stops from the 55 and make it the dominant 3rd Av bus again... for one thing, I don't think the 55 should stop at 174th or 166th Sts. Evenutally, the (MTA) will just fold the 55 into the 15, which I would hate to happen. I'd only agree to it if it would improve Limited service.

While Bx55 ridership has fallen since 1997, the (MTA) is really not helping the matter.

They're trying to push people on the Bx15.

Hence the Bx15 receiving artics while the Bx55 lost its evening and weekend service. The 15 still uses artics even when the 55 is running. Just last month, the (MTA) decreased Bx55 service all day long and added to Bx15 service during part of the day (I don't remember which part)

Of course, for a Limted the 55 is pretty slow.... t's more of a skip-stop 15 than an actual Limited... between Fordham Plaza and the Hub I believe you can count on two hands the stops the Bx15 makes that the 55 doesn't. I agree that the Third Avenue el might not have made it today.... the Bx55 makes all the same stops as the el did, and now it's losing ground to the Bx15.

The (MTA) should cut some stops from the 55 and make it the dominant 3rd Av bus again... for one thing, I don't think the 55 should stop at 174th or 166th Sts. Evenutally, the (MTA) will just fold the 55 into the 15, which I would hate to happen. I'd only agree to it if it would improve Limited service.

When did you last ride the Bx55? The Bx55 during the rush hour is about so and so. While i do agree that the MTA just want people to make a move to the Bx15.'

I wouldnt imagine an end to the Bx55 in the future, even tho last yr they did planned on nixing it.

That's what I initially thought last year. I remember one Williamsbridge-bound bus being EMPTY (and it was in revenue service!), as well as seeing (at different days) 5-10 passengers using the Bx55 during the midday hours. I don't know how that changed this year as I see more people using it during the day. :tup:

There are nearby Metro North stations to third avenue, Melrose,Tremont, Fordham, and Williamsbridge.

I think that the difference in the fares (subway vs Metro North) makes the railroad a very expensive substitute for the demolished el. If you really think about it before the el's demolition these people had a one seat ride to the GCT area and if it wasn't torn down it probably would cost 1/3 the price of a railroad ticket.

When did you last ride the Bx55? The Bx55 during the rush hour is about so and so. While i do agree that the MTA just want people to make a move to the Bx15.'

I wouldnt imagine an end to the Bx55 in the future, even tho last yr they did planned on nixing it.

I admit that I haven't ridden the Bx55 since August, so I have no idea if the increased headaways implemented last month has had had an effect on 55 ridership.

The 55 has been losing service periodically for the past 15 or so years. I don't specifically remember the (MTA) trying to cut the whole route, but if they did, it almost definitely means they will try again when they think the time is right. As long as the 15 is around, I don't think the (MTA) really cares about the 55 passengers.

But let me wait until the ride the 55 again on a semi-regular basis before I start making judgments about the route and its future. ;)

Archived