Subway - What If?

VWM

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NEXT: Due to someone rerouting the (J) to 168th Street, a T/O has overshot a timer and derailed on 6th Avenue. Reroute (B), (D), and (F) trains. ( (M) trains have been suspended.)

From Brooklyn:

(B)(D) Via Broadway Express to 57 St/7 Ave.

(F) Via Cranberry Street - 8th Avenue Express - 53 Street. Select trains run to Delancy Street. Select trains run to 34 Street-Herald Square via 63 Street.

(M) To Chambers Street.

From The Bronx / Queens:

(B)(D) To 34 Street-Herald Square.

(F) Via 53 Street - 8th Avenue Express - Cranberry Street.

(M) To World Trade Center or 34 Street-Herald Square.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

From Brooklyn:

(B)(D) Via Broadway Express to 57 St/7 Ave.

(F) Via Cranberry Street - 8th Avenue Express - 53 Street. Select trains run to Delancy Street. Select trains run to 34 Street-Herald Square via 63 Street.

(M) To Chambers Street.

From The Bronx / Queens:

(B)(D) To 34 Street-Herald Square.

(F) Via 53 Street - 8th Avenue Express - Cranberry Street.

(M) To World Trade Center or 34 Street-Herald Square.

Your (F) reroute doesn't really work.

NEXT: Due to someone rerouting the (J) to 168th Street, a T/O has overshot a timer and derailed on 6th Avenue. Reroute (B), (D), and (F) trains. ( (M) trains have been suspended.)

(B) suspended

(D) concourse express suspended, no trains between 34 and Pacific Street

(F) via 8 av/Cranberry

(N) brooklyn local

Due to a fire on board a train, the Times Square - 42nd Street complex has been evacuated. Reroute trains accordingly.

This assumes the 6th and 8th Avenue lines (which are both a block from the main part of the Times Square complex) are unaffected by this.

(F) re-routed via 8th Avenue and 53rd Street tunnel to Queens

(N) runs in two sections:

re-routed via the tunnel to 34th Street-Broadway

57th-7th Avenue to Ditmars Boulevard

(Q) runs to 34th Street-Broadway ONLY

(R) re-routed via the Manhattan Bridge and 6th Avenue (replacing the (F) there) after DeKalb Avenue via 63rd Street

Times Square-Grand Central (S) suspended

(7) runs to Grand Central ONLY. For Times Square from Queens, take (7) to Court Square or Roosevelt Avenue for (E) or (F) to 8th Avenue-42nd Street ( (F) is re-routed via 8th Avenue) OR (M) to 42nd Street-6th Avenue (or (R) if from Court Square). For Lexington Avenue trains from Queens, take (7) to Grand Central, (E) / (F) /(M) to Lexington Avenue-51st Street OR take (R) to Lexington Avenue-63rd Street for OOS transfer (ask for special block ticket at 59th/Lex or 63rd/Lex if transferring there, block transfer from 63rd/Lex also valid at 68th Street (6) station).

Edited by Wallyhorse

Due to a fire on board a train, the Times Square - 42nd Street complex has been evacuated. Reroute trains accordingly.

(N) No service b/w 34 Street-Herald Square & 57 Street/7 Avenue via Tunnel.

(Q) Via 6th Avenue Express to 57 Street/6th Avenue.

(R) Via 6th Avenue Local - 63 Street.

(1) No service b/w 96 Street & Chambers Street.

(2) Via Lexington Avenue Express.

(3) No service b/w 34 Street-Penn Station & 96 Street.

(7) No service b/w Grand Central & Times Square.

This assumes the 6th and 8th Avenue lines (which are both a block from the main part of the Times Square complex) are unaffected by this.

(F) re-routed via 8th Avenue and 53rd Street tunnel to Queens

(N) runs in two sections:

re-routed via the tunnel to 34th Street-Broadway

57th-7th Avenue to Ditmars Boulevard

(Q) runs to 34th Street-Broadway ONLY

(R) re-routed via the Manhattan Bridge and 6th Avenue (replacing the (F) there) after DeKalb Avenue via 63rd Street

Times Square-Grand Central (S) suspended

(7) runs to Grand Central ONLY. For Times Square from Queens, take (7) to Court Square or Roosevelt Avenue for (E) or (F) to 8th Avenue-42nd Street ( (F) is re-routed via 8th Avenue) OR (M) to 42nd Street-6th Avenue (or (R) if from Court Square). For Lexington Avenue trains from Queens, take (7) to Grand Central, (E) / (F) /(M) to Lexington Avenue-51st Street OR take (R) to Lexington Avenue-63rd Street for OOS transfer (ask for special block ticket at 59th/Lex or 63rd/Lex if transferring there, block transfer from 63rd/Lex also valid at 68th Street (6) station).

You gave all that info for the (7) but you didn't even reroute the (1), (2), and (3)??? :huh:

You gave all that info for the (7) but you didn't even reroute the (1), (2), and (3)??? :huh:

OOPS!! :wacko: :wacko:

Add to what I wrote:

(3) suspended

(1) and (2) run in two sections:

(1) replaces the (3) in Brooklyn and runs New Lots Avenue-34th Street Penn Station

(1) also runs 96th Street-242nd Street

(2) runs Flatbush Avenue-34th Street Penn Station and 96th Street-241st in the Bronx

Shuttle buses operate between 33rd Street Penn Station and 96th Street. Select M104 buses also operate to/from 33rd Street-Penn Station instead of 42nd Street-1st Avenue.

LIMITED Shuttle train service operates in both directions on the (1) between 50th and 96th Streets on Broadway.

OOPS!! :wacko: :wacko:

Add to what I wrote:

(3) suspended

(1) and (2) run in two sections:

(1) replaces the (3) in Brooklyn and runs New Lots Avenue-34th Street Penn Station

(1) also runs 96th Street-242nd Street

(2) runs Flatbush Avenue-34th Street Penn Station and 96th Street-241st in the Bronx

Shuttle buses operate between 33rd Street Penn Station and 96th Street. Select M104 buses also operate to/from 33rd Street-Penn Station instead of 42nd Street-1st Avenue.

LIMITED Shuttle train service operates in both directions on the (1) between 50th and 96th Streets on Broadway.

How about no. Just the typical: confusing the hell out of people trying to get to Brooklyn as well as leaving South Ferry without service. Also screwing up the M104 bus.

Well... at least you're consistent.

(1) No trains between 34 St and 96 St.

(2) No trains between 14 St and 96 St.

(3) No trains between 14 St and 96 St.

(7) No trains between Grand Central and Times Sq. Some trains terminate at Queensboro Plaza.

(N) No trains between 34 St and 57 St. Trains run via the tunnel.

(Q) No trains between 34 St and Queens.

(R) No trains between Whitehall St and 57 St.

(S) Suspended

How about no. Just the typical: confusing the hell out of people trying to get to Brooklyn as well as leaving South Ferry without service. Also screwing up the M104 bus.

Well... at least you're consistent.

That was my fault:

Add a shuttle train between Chambers and South Ferry, though people looking for those stations could take other lines to get other trains that stop relatively close to those station. Also add a shuttle between 96th Street and 148th-Lenox for the (3)

This is also why, BTW, I would re-activate the old SF station to be used by a mix of the (5) (when operating to lower Manhattan but not Brooklyn), (6) (overnights, extended from Brooklyn Bridge), and a revival of the old Bowling Green-South Ferry (S), mostly on weekdays and using the short platform at BG and OUTER loop at SF, which would have new stairways added with the station brought up to ADA compliance (which would be a good idea anyway for other reasons)..

Edited by Wallyhorse

NEXT: All switches west of 36th Street are set in favor of 60th and 63rd Street on the Queens Blvd line.

Reroute the (E), (F), (M), (R), and others as necessary. (That phrase doesn't give you licence to confuse riders.)

(E) runs via 6th Av local, 63rd Street

(M) runs via 63rd Street

Please expect delays.

It's most important to get people where they need to go without confusing them and forcing them to make multiple transfers, which would make their commute take longer than with delays.

That is impossible. I'm sorry, but 40 TPH on one track? No.

(E): Some trains via 63rd Street, some via 60th Street to Whitehall St. This cannot be avoided.

(M): Via 63rd Street.

Please, there's no need to bring delays to the (N)(Q)(R) as well.

I do believe that (2)(4)(5) during the height of rush hours exceeds 40tph but whenever 7th Avenue gets messed up they send those three lines down Lex and I have never noticed any substantial delays. I assume that this scenario is a freak accident that happened, and you have to scramble. If this was a planned that those switches would be set like that then sending the (M) line to Broad would be a no brainer, but there's already a bunch of trains out carrying thousands of people to work in Manhattan and you gotta do what you gotta do.

Would it really be more efficient to have a thousand people from each train pour out into a station to switch trains?

That was my fault:

Add a shuttle train between Chambers and South Ferry, though people looking for those stations could take other lines to get other trains that stop relatively close to those station. Also add a shuttle between 96th Street and 148th-Lenox for the (3)

This is also why, BTW, I would re-activate the old SF station to be used by a mix of the (5) (when operating to lower Manhattan but not Brooklyn), (6) (overnights, extended from Brooklyn Bridge), and a revival of the old Bowling Green-South Ferry (S), mostly on weekdays and using the short platform at BG and OUTER loop at SF, which would have new stairways added with the station brought up to ADA compliance (which would be a good idea anyway for other reasons)..

You can't just instantly reopen a station because of an emergency service change.

You can't just instantly reopen a station because of an emergency service change.

Sorry, I should have said on a full-time basis (thought that was implied) with the way I wrote it. Anyway:

NEXT: All switches west of 36th Street are set in favor of 60th and 63rd Street on the Queens Blvd line.

Reroute the (E), (F), (M), (R), and others as necessary. (That phrase doesn't give you licence to confuse riders).

(E) trains alternate in the following manner:

Chambers Street to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue (Court Square) via regular route

Chambers Street to Jamaica Center via 6th Avenue and 63rd Street, running via express in Queens.

(F) trains run normal service

(G) extended to 179th Street or Jamaica Center (trains alternate between the two terminals, this assumes the switches do allow for the (G) to access its regular route to/from Queens Boulevard).

(M) runs Metropolitan Avenue to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue (Court Square)

(If (G) can not use Queens Boulevard and access its regular route, (M) is split in the same manner as the (E), with (M) trains via 63rd extended to Jamaica Center).

For Queens Boulevard Service from Ely Avenue, transfer to (G) at Court Square (passengers looking for Roosevelt Avenue can also transfer to the (7) at Court Square and take such trains to 74th Street).

(R) runs regular route, though if necessary (R) trains can also be extended to 179th Street or Jamaica Center.

(E) trains alternate in the following manner:

Chambers Street to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue (Court Square) via regular route

Chambers Street to Jamaica Center via 6th Avenue and 63rd Street, running via express in Queens.

(F) trains run normal service

(G) extended to 179th Street or Jamaica Center (trains alternate between the two terminals, this assumes the switches do allow for the (G) to access its regular route to/from Queens Boulevard).

(M) runs Metropolitan Avenue to 23rd Street-Ely Avenue (Court Square)

(If (G) can not use Queens Boulevard and access its regular route, (M) is split in the same manner as the (E), with (M) trains via 63rd extended to Jamaica Center).

For Queens Boulevard Service from Ely Avenue, transfer to (G) at Court Square (passengers looking for Roosevelt Avenue can also transfer to the (7) at Court Square and take such trains to 74th Street).

(R) runs regular route, though if necessary (R) trains can also be extended to 179th Street or Jamaica Center.

I said do not confuse riders, but yet you send the (G) to Jamaica Center? :facepalm:

I said do not confuse riders, but yet you send the (G) to Jamaica Center? :facepalm:

If a rider is confused by that, then they are hopeless. My way rewards paying attention (you know, like people seemingly used to do).

Remember, I have only HALF the (E) trains running to Jamaica Center, so I need to make up the other half somehow. The plan (which I did spell out) was for riders looking for Queens Boulevard (particularly those coming from 5th Avenue or Lexington Avenue) to change from the other half of the split (E) and the (M) train to the (G), which itself would be split between Jamaica Center and 179th (as well as the (R) if necessary).

I also noted that if the (G) could not use the switches to get to Court Square, I would split the (M) up with half the trains going to Court Square and the other half going on an extended route (via 63rd) to Jamaica Center (those riders would then have to take the (7) from Court Square to 74th Street for the QB line trains).

The idea is to maximize what you have to work it and make it so people can get where they are going with the smallest of disruptions possible. If people are confused by that, then there is nothing you can do about that.

Edited by Wallyhorse