Subway - What If?

VWM

(2) operates as follows:

To Chambers Street via regular route, then via the (1) to Rector, then via the South Ferry Loop to the Wall Street (4) / (5) station, where it then reverses and runs via the (4) to Atlantic Avenue and via regular route to Flatbush Avenue

LMFAO DWRCL only from Wallyhorse. I was actually considering doing that, but then I decided to do something more feasible and less time consuming. Haha this made my DAY.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll do it!

(2)(3):

The Bronx and Harlem/148 Street - South Ferry

Atlantic Avenue/Barclays Center - Flatbush Avenue and New Lots Avenue.

(4): Woodlawn - Brooklyn Bridge/City Hall local south of 42 Street.

(5): Eastchester/Dyre Avenue - Grand Central/42 Street

(A)(C):

Inwood/207 Street and Washington Heights/168 Street - Chambers Street

Jay Street/Metrotech - Euclid Avenue and Queens

(J)(Z): Queens - Essex Street

Since I solved it, I get to chose the next scenario :lol: .

NEXT:

Year: 1967

DeKalb Avenue is impassible.

Reroute: (N)(Q)(QT)(QB)(RR){T}(TT)

Nobody?

(N): Atlantic Avenue <> Coney Island.

(Q): Two sections

57 Street <> Canal Street

Atlantic Avenue <> Brighton Beach

(QT): Atlantic Avenue <> Coney Island, runs all times.

(QB): Suspended.

(RR):

Queens <> Jay Street

Atlantic Avenue <> 95 Street

(T): Suspended.

(TT): 36 Street <> Coney Island

(2) operates as follows:

To Chambers Street via regular route, then via the (1) to Rector, then via the South Ferry Loop to the Wall Street (4) / (5) station, where it then reverses and runs via the (4) to Atlantic Avenue and via regular route to Flatbush Avenue

Nice job of not overcomplicating things.

(M) is diverted to the 8th Avenue line after Broadway-Lafayette and replaces the (C) from West 4th-168th Street.

Hey, did you know that there's another train that can run on the (C) line between W 4 and 168 St? IT'S CALLED THE (C). That way, you won't screw up Queens Blvd for no reason.

NEXT: The Fulton Street tunnel has collapsed flooding the Fulton Complex. Reroute the 2 3 4 5 A C J Z.

(2)(3) Suspended between Wall St and Chambers St. Selected southbound trains run OOS via South Ferry Loop.

(4)(5) Suspended between Wall St and Brooklyn Bridge.

(J)(Z) Suspended between Broad St and Chambers St.

(A) Trains run via the (F) between West 4 St and Jay St in both directions.

(C) No trains between Chambers St and High St.

(E) Selected trains run express in Manhattan to avoid congestion with A/C/E trains on one track.

(M) No trains between Chambers St and 71 Av.

(N)(Q) Trains run via the tunnel, as the B'way line is one of only two unaffected lines in Lower Manhattan.

NEXT

Dekalb Av is impassable. Reroute (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) trains.

For the purposes of this exercise, assume the Franklin (S) has a track connection to the Fulton Local tracks in both directions and has 600' platforms throughout.

NEXT: The Fulton Street tunnel has collapsed flooding the Fulton Complex. Reroute the (2)(3)(4)(5)(A)(C)(J)(Z).

Lets see...

(2): 241 St to South Ferry or Chambers St via local, Wall St to Flatbush Av

(3): 148 St to 14 St via express

(4): Woodlawn to Brooklyn Bridge via local, Borough Hall to New Lots Av, local after Franklin Av

(5): Dyre Av to Grand Central via express

(A): via Cranberry

(C): 168 St to 2 Av, High St to Euclid Av

(J) & (Z): Jamaica Center to Chambers St

Nice job of not overcomplicating things.[/color][/size][/font]Hey, did you know that there's another train that can run on the (C) line between W 4 and 168 St? IT'S CALLED THE (C). That way, you won't screw up Queens Blvd for no reason.

Except Queens Boulevard gets screwed one way or another by this since if you have a split (C), you likely in Manahattan have it run to Second Avenue. With the (A) already running through the Rutgers tunnel, it makes it impossible to have the (M) go through Chrystie since you then have four lines on that stretch.

If the (C) were R32s/42s, you could then have the (C) replace the (M) between West 4th and Metropolitan and suspend the (M) during this. Otherwise, diverting the (M) after West 4th and having it replace the (C) between there and 168th and the (G) replacing the (M) on QB is probably the best scenario given the problems at Fulton in this one.

Edited to add:

@Wallyhorse... Why would you close spring street

Same reason Hoyt Street would be closed in Brooklyn, there would be no trains operating.

The (E) in my scenario is on the express track because the (A) and (M) in mine are running local on 8th Avenue until West 4th (trains have to use the local track to access the 6th avenue track), and the (E) is the only train operating south of West 4th. This is where having switches allowing easy transfers to the local track between 59th and West 4th would allow for more flexibility.

Edited by Wallyhorse

(2)(3) Suspended between Wall St and Chambers St. Selected southbound trains run OOS via South Ferry Loop.

(4)(5) Suspended between Wall St and Brooklyn Bridge.

(J)(Z) Suspended between Broad St and Chambers St.

(A) Trains run via the (F) between West 4 St and Jay St in both directions.

(C) No trains between Chambers St and High St.

(E) Selected trains run express in Manhattan to avoid congestion with A/C/E trains on one track.

(M) No trains between Chambers St and 71 Av.

(N)(Q) Trains run via the tunnel, as the B'way line is one of only two unaffected lines in Lower Manhattan.

NEXT

Dekalb Av is impassable. Reroute (B)(D)(N)(Q)(R) trains.

For the purposes of this exercise, assume the Franklin (S) has a track connection to the Fulton Local tracks in both directions and has 600' platforms throughout.

I get what you want us to do.

(B)(Q) Via Rutgers Street - Fulton Street Local - Franklin Avenue. (Q) Terminates at 57 St-6 Av, and is 6 Ave Express.

(D) Two sections:

The Bronx <> West 4 Street.

Atlantic Avenue <> Coney Island via 4 Ave Local.

(N) Two sections:

Queens <> Jay Street.

Atlantic Avenue <> Coney Island via 4 Av Local.

(R) Two sections:

Queens <> Jay Street.

36 Street<> 95 Street.

One thing though. I really don't know how Franklin Avenue can be connected to Futon Street.....it's literally right underneath the station itself.

Another thing....doesn't this break the rules of NO FANTASY LINES?

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

Anyone want to do my old scenario

(1) trains run 4tph from 242nd to 96th and terminate on the downtown local platform. Uptown trains skip 103, 110, 116, and 125 Streets.

(2) trains run in two sections,

No (3) trains running, shuttle buses provide service from 135th to 148th.

(4) trains run to New Lots.

(5) trains run to Flatbush Avenue.

(2) trains run in two sections 241st Street to 96th Street and Chambers Street to Flatbush Avenue.

Edited by Quill Depot

I have another try on this one:

Time: 2018

South Ferry - Whitehall Street station is closing for renovation to retrofit the station with full-height platform screen doors. The station will close about 7 months. Reroute the (1)(N)(R)(W) .

Note: In my scenario, the (W) is brought back with the (N) complementing it.

Edited by NYCRailfan523

South Ferry - Whitehall Street station is closing for renovation to retrofit the station with full-height platform screen doors. The station will close about 7 months. Reroute the (1)(N)(R)(W) .

(N) and (R) bypass whitehall street (W) via bridge to bay parkway (D) AND (1) to utica ave

Edited by BreeddekalbL

Does this assume Whitehall (N)(R)(W) is also closed (and impassable)?

(1) VC to Rector (as the last downtown stop). If you can use the loop to go around back to Rector. If necessary, send them via the (2) if the bottleneck gets too large.

(N)(R)(W)If you can bypass it, then fine.

Otherwise (Edit: I overcomplicated it. D'oh):

(N) Over the bridge at all times

(R) Bay Ridge - 36th or Jay Street.

(W) 71 to Rector (given you can relay at Whitehall without disrupting construction).

Edited by RookiePhenom

(1) Stops at South Ferry Loop station.

(N) Via Bridge.

(R) Skips Whitehall Street.

(W) Skips Whitehall Street, extended to Bay Ridge-95 Street.

IF NOT...

(1) No service b/w Rector Street & South Ferry, via loop.

(N)(R) Via Bridge, some (R) trains to Court Street.

(W) Terminates at City Hall.

OK, another future scenario:

Year: 2035

Time: Rush Hour

Lines affected: (F), (Q), (T)

All track between 72nd Street-2nd Avenue and all three 55th or 57th Street Stations is closed for emergency repair.

Assume that there is a crossover at Houston Street and at 72nd Street (on both ends) on Second Avenue for the purpose of this scenario. Reroute trains.

All track between 72nd Street-2nd Avenue and all three 55th or 57th Street Stations is closed for emergency repair.

Assume that there is a crossover at Houston Street and at 72nd Street (on both ends) on Second Avenue for the purpose of this scenario. Reroute trains.

(F)(Q)(T) : Eliminated without replacement :lol:

(F) No service b/w 57 Street & Roosevelt Island, select trains via 53 Street.

(Q) No service b/w 57 Street-7 Avenue & Lexington Avenue-125 Street.

(T) No service b/w 72 Street & 42 Street.

(1) via loop, like (6), passengers can stay on.

(N) via bridge limited TPH.

(W) suspended.

(R) trains via bridge.

The Penn station complex has been closed due to a police investigation. Reroute 1/2/3/A/C/E

If no trains can pass through 34th Street:

(1) in two sections, 242nd-Times Square and 14th Street-South Ferry

(2) in two sections, 241 Street-Times Square and 14th Street-Flatbush Avenue

(3) shuttle runs 148th Street-96th Street ONLY.

(4) extended to New Lots Avenue and replaces the (3) after Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn

Some (5) trains are diverted after Franklin Avenue to New Lots Avenue as well.

(A) runs via the (D) between Columbus Circle and West 4th (stops at Spring Street)

(C) runs Chambers Street-Euclid Avenue with LIMITED service via the Express tracks to/from 14th Street.

(E) runs via the (M) between 5th Avenue and West 4th.

18th Street, 23rd Street, 28th Street and 34th Street-Penn Station on the (1) and 23rd Street on the (C) / (E) are CLOSED.

Shuttle buses operates between 14th Street and Times Square on 7th and 8th Avenues. Please use 6th Avenue or Broadway line trains if possible.

(M) is running normal service. Please expect delays on 6th Avenue due to the number of trains running via that line.

(A) runs via the (D) between Columbus Circle and West 4th (stops at Spring Street)

(C) runs Chambers Street-Euclid Avenue with LIMITED service via the Express tracks to/from 14th Street.

(E) runs via the (M) between 5th Avenue and West 4th.

6 Av Express (A)(B)(D)?

6 Av Local (E)(F)(M)?

You can cut the (M) to Chambers, and the (B) to begin with is what I would say. I know they had the (B)(D)(R) Brighton Express, and the (N)(Q) Brighton Local, but this is different. There are only 2 Local stops on 6 Av, and I don't think that it can handle that many trains. And plus at one point you will have the (A)(E)(F) and (M) on the Local track, with the (A)(E) crossing onto the 8 Av Local.

NEXT:

It's 2040 and the Second Avenue Subway is fully completed.

Broadway is as following:

(N) - Coney Island to Astoria, Broadway Express via Bridge, 15tph

(W) - Whitehall Street-Astoria, Broadway Local. 6tph

(Q) - 125th Street to Coney Island, Broadway Express via Bridge. 15tph.

(R) - 71st Ave to 95 Street (Brooklyn) via tunnel, Broadway Local 8tph

Also the (T) is 15tph and the (F) is 15tph.

At 57th Street-Broadway all switches are stuck in the straight positon. Local trains via 59th Street Tube, express goes via 2nd Avenue. Solve this problem and do not go over 30tph. Cause as minimal delays as possible.