Subway - What If?

VWM

NEXT:

It's 2040 and the Second Avenue Subway is fully completed.

Broadway is as following:

(N) - Coney Island to Astoria, Broadway Express via Bridge, 15tph

(W) - Whitehall Street-Astoria, Broadway Local. 6tph

(Q) - 125th Street to Coney Island, Broadway Express via Bridge. 15tph.

(R) - 71st Ave to 95 Street (Brooklyn) via tunnel, Broadway Local 8tph

Also the (T) is 15tph and the (F) is 15tph.

At 57th Street-Broadway all switches are stuck in the straight positon. Local trains via 59th Street Tube, express goes via 2nd Avenue. Solve this problem and do not go over 30tph. Cause as minimal delays as possible.

(N) Stops at 49 Street.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6 Av Express (A)(B)(D)?

6 Av Local (E)(F)(M)?

You can cut the (M) to Chambers, and the (B) to begin with is what I would say. I know they had the (B)(D)(R) Brighton Express, and the (N)(Q) Brighton Local, but this is different. There are only 2 Local stops on 6 Av, and I don't think that it can handle that many trains. And plus at one point you will have the (A)(E)(F) and (M) on the Local track, with the (A)(E) crossing onto the 8 Av Local.

I thought about cutting some (M) trains to Essex, but that screws Broadway-Brooklyn riders as well as those on QB, so I would have just dealt with four lines for a brief stretch on one track and noted to expect delays on the 6th Avenue line.

The Penn station complex has been closed due to a police investigation. Reroute (1)(2)(3)(A)(C)(E).

(1) No trains between 42 and 14 St.

(2) Trains run via the (5) between 149 and Nevins St.

(3) No trains between 96 and Chambers St.

(A) Trains run via the (D) between 59 and 34 St, then via the (F) to West 4 St.

(C) No trains between Chambers and 168 St.

Some (E) trains run via 63 St and Broadway Express, proceeding to terminate at 34 St.

Other (E) trains run via 53 St and terminate at Lex Av.

(M) Cut back to Broad St, replaced with additional R service between Whitehall St and 71 Av.

NEXT

Bowery (J)(Z) and Canal St (A)(C)(E) are both impassable. This is a long-term service change, so solutions can be creative.

NEXT

Bowery (J)(Z) and Canal St (A)(C)(E) are both impassable. This is a long-term service change, so solutions can be creative.

(A) Via 8 Avenue Local (south of 59 Street) - Rutgers Street Tunnel.

(C) Two sections:

168 Street <> 14 Street via 8 Avenue Express (south of 59 Street).

Chambers Street <> Euclid Avenue.

(E) No service b/w 14 Street & World Trade Center, via 8 Avenue Express.

(J)(Z) No service b/w Essex Street and Broad Street.

Edited by TrainFanInfinity

NEXT

(J)(Z) Jamaica Center - Essex St

(A) via (F) between W 4 St and Jay St, fully local

(E) Jamaica Center - 14 St (skips 23 St)

(A): 10 TPH

(F): 10 TPH

(M): 8 TPH

Excuse me, but am I the only who does not see any switches anywhere near 14th Street (A)(C)(E)? Are there switches there but not displayed on the track maps? If not then I have no idea what you're all trying to do.

The switches are at 34 St.

Trains would use the switches between 34 and 23 St and wrong-rail from there. Mind you, this is nowhere near realistic.

I don't really understand what's wrong with it, though. Still, if it's a problem, trains can terminate at 34 St.

NEXT:

174 St yard and the tracks leading up to it (which the (C) uses to terminate) are closed for maintenance.

More futuristic scenarios:

Year: 2019

4th Avenue is as follows:

(N): Coney Island-Astoria, Broadway/Sea Beach Express via Bridge

(R): 71st Street-Bay Ridge, Broadway/4th Avenue Local via Tunnel

(W): Kings Highway-Astoria, Broadway/Sea Beach Local via Tunnel

(D): Coney Island-205th Street, 6th Avenue/West End Express via Bridge

The (W) is 8 TPH.

The interchanges at 36th Street and 59th Street are closed. Reroute trains.

Excuse me, but am I the only who does not see any switches anywhere near 14th Street (A)(C)(E)? Are there switches there but not displayed on the track maps? If not then I have no idea what you're all trying to do.

That's why I said LIMITED service to 14th Street in mine (Penn Station and the subway stations connected to it closed). The premise is, there would be some wrong-railing on the express tracks, but since the (C) would be the only train in my scenario that uses such, that has it so some terminate at Chambers, some terminate at Canal and others terminate at 14th in order to not jam up all (C) trains on the layover track at Chambers.

Lefferts Boulevard (A) service from 207th Street via the (F) West 4th-Jay Street (local between 59th Street and West 4th), normal service otherwise (Far Rockaway (A) service overnights)

Far Rockaway (A) and Euclid Avenue (C) service begins and ends at Chambers Street (except overnights, when such (A) trains run to 207th Street but run express 59th Street-168th Street, overnight shuttle operates Jay Street-Chambers Street).

(E) runs between Queens Plaza and 34th Street-Penn Station, using the express track with select trains running to 14th Street-8th Avenue on such.

(J) runs via the (M) from Broadway-Lafayette-West 4th and then replaces the (C) on 8th Avenue from West 4th-168th Street (all times, including overnights).

(Z) runs same as (J) in rush hours, with for this period skip-stop service in Brooklyn and Queens in both directions due to the extended route.

All stations south of Essex Street on the (J) are closed for the duration of this interruption.

Edited by Wallyhorse

I love the What-If thread, so I am gonna make another problem.

Year: 2020

Bowling Green station will be closed for retrofitting it with full-height platform screen doors and installing escalators to the platforms.

Reroute the (4)(5)(6)<6> .

Note: Bowling Green in my scenario is now a hub for the Lexington Avenue Line trains.

I love the What-If thread, so I am gonna make another problem.

Year: 2020

Bowling Green station will be closed for retrofitting it with full-height platform screen doors and installing escalators to the platforms.

Reroute the (4)(5)(6)<6> .

Note: Bowling Green in my scenario is now a hub for the Lexington Avenue Line trains.

If your crazy fantasy can handle all those trains, then the (4)(5)(6)<6> can all terminate at Brooklyn Bridge. Have the (2)(3)(9) and whatever else you want handle Brooklyn with a transfer at Fulton.

I'm not really enjoying these future scenarios, mainly because it's really unclear on what the service patterns and what the track configurations are.

Lefferts Boulevard (A) service from 207th Street via the (F) West 4th-Jay Street (local between 59th Street and West 4th), normal service otherwise (Far Rockaway (A) service overnights)

Far Rockaway (A) and Euclid Avenue (C) service begins and ends at Chambers Street (except overnights, when such (A) trains run to 207th Street but run express 59th Street-168th Street, overnight shuttle operates Jay Street-Chambers Street).

(E) runs between Queens Plaza and 34th Street-Penn Station, using the express track with select trains running to 14th Street-8th Avenue on such.

(J) runs via the (M) from Broadway-Lafayette-West 4th and then replaces the (C) on 8th Avenue from West 4th-168th Street (all times, including overnights).

(Z) runs same as (J) in rush hours, with for this period skip-stop service in Brooklyn and Queens in both directions due to the extended route.

All stations south of Essex Street on the (J) are closed for the duration of this interruption.

NOPE.

Not only have you made things too complicated, but you've completely overloaded the 6 Avenue Local tracks...And besides, I don't think there are even enough trains to extend the (J)(Z) to 168 St. A much better choice (even though this would also overload the 6 Avenue Local tracks) would be to just run the (C) along with the (A) via the (F) line.

Keep in mind that suddenly implementing skip-stop when people don't expect it is going to lead a lot of people to miss their stops. Sure, you can tell people to listen to the announcements, but a lot of people won't because they think they know how their train is running.

More futuristic scenarios:

Year: 2019

4th Avenue is as follows:

(N): Coney Island-Astoria, Broadway/Sea Beach Express via Bridge

(R): 71st Street-Bay Ridge, Broadway/4th Avenue Local via Tunnel

(W): Kings Highway-Astoria, Broadway/Sea Beach Local via Tunnel

(D): Coney Island-205th Street, 6th Avenue/West End Express via Bridge

The (W) is 8 TPH.

The interchanges at 36th Street and 59th Street are closed. Reroute trains.

I refuse to do this. Not only am I a strong believer that the (W) is not coming back, but also, I do not see any Sea Beach Express in both directions in our future. And where the hell is the West End Local?

If this is a past scenario, I would understand. How about this?

NEXT

Terrorist attacks occur at the WTC in 2001. Was what the (MTA) did acceptable? How would you reroute the trains?

NEXT

Because of a major structural collapse, the Broadway Line is impassable at 23 St. This service change will last one year, so all lines must have the same tph to Manhattan as before.

(N) & (Q): No trains between 34th Street and Whitehall Street.

(R): Via Manhattan Bridge and 63rd Street.

I meant 4th Avenue Express. The (N) trains read Sea Beach Express, despite not actually running express on Sea Beach.

WELL THEN SAY IT.

What lines specifically are impassible?

(A)(C)(E)(R)(1) mainly, but it is what you think would be mest. Minimal service, multiple transfers.

Edited by Brighton Express

Short-term:

(1) terminates at 14 St; select trains extended to Utica or New Lots Av

(2)(3) runs local south of 34 St

(E) terminates at Canal St

(R) via Manhattan Bridge; select Queens-bound trains terminate at Whitehall St; select Brooklyn-bound trains terminate at Canal St

I don't really see how the (A)(C) are affected by this. They can skip Chambers and Fulton if conditions are bad, but I don't see how the trains wouldn't be able to pass through. I would also have (4) and (5) trains skip Fulton St and the (2)(3) skip Park Place.

NEXT: High St blows up. This is a long-term service change, so you should feel free to adjust the TPH of lines. One rule: you can't split the (A) into two sections.

Short-term:

NEXT: High St blows up. This is a long-term service change, so you should feel free to adjust the TPH of lines. One rule: you can't split the (A) into two sections.

(A) 207 St to Far Rockaway/Lefferts Blvd (UWS/CPW/8 Av/6 Av/Fulton/Rockaway Local)

(C) No Service

(M) Metro Av to Chambers St/Broad St (Nassau St Local)

NOTE

(A) [RUSH HOUR SELECT] Trains run Fulton Express between Euclid Av and Jay St

(D) [RUSH HOUR] Trains run West End Express between Coney Island and 9 Av

(E) [RUSH HOUR] Trains may go to Chambers St/Fulton St

(M) [RUSH HOUR] Trains run 4 Av/West End Local to Bay Pkwy

Edited by Brighton Express