More shots of the KB dawgs

DOB2RTO

Now you can really see how bad the rusting is on the 400 series crappers. This was the bus I got upon relief......

cid__0616081509.jpg

cid__0616081508a.jpg

cid__0616081508.jpg

Soon as I went around past the depot en-route, they yard dispatcher took myself and my people off of that rust bucket and put us onto this bus.....

cid__0616081912.jpg

cid__0616081911.jpg

Then I found the Yonkers code for the Bx7. 3078 is the code

cid__0616081910.jpg

cid__0616081909.jpg

Now you can really see how bad the rusting is on the 400 series crappers. This was the bus I got upon relief......

cid__0616081509.jpg

cid__0616081508a.jpg

cid__0616081508.jpg

I BEEN ON THE BUS ON THE BX3..... .. UGLY BUS!

YO DOB... HOW DID YOU FIND THE YONKERS CODE? YOU WAS PUTTING ALL THE BX7 CODES IN AND FOUND IT? :eek:

YO DOB... HOW DID YOU FIND THE YONKERS CODE? YOU WAS PUTTING ALL THE BX7 CODES IN AND FOUND IT? :eek:

Just hang in there.... Well, I guess it really doesn't matter to you, but new buses should hit KB in 5 months or less.

Something happened yesterday that hasn't happened since the 8800's left. 567 was having kneeler issues on the 10 and everytime the bus stopped the B/O had to restart it. Needless to say I was late to school.

I'll be happy when KB gets the new buses but part of me will miss the chronically messed up O5's (still can't wait for them to go). Isn't it a hazard to have a clearly rusted bus in service?

Just hang in there.... Well, I guess it really doesn't matter to you, but new buses should hit KB in 5 months or less.

Hell yeah it matters!!!! I might have to Drive those buses in a couple of years. I'm waiting for my Bus driver results now! And if I get my way I'll go to KB because its close to home...

To Shondrae: If you want a code for a certain bus route BTW, you first just have to know that the route is entered by putting the number of the borough (like 3 for the Bronx), then the route (like 07 for the Bx7), then after that you can just go 1-9 (maybe 0-9 with 0 representing 10 for routes with many more possibilities) for the destinations of the route. Then it's easy.

Each borough is assigned the numbers 1-5, I know the Bronx is 3 but not sure about the other four boroughs. You'd think they'd just have the sequence go alphabetically, so 1 = Bronx, 2 = Brooklyn/Kings, 3 = Manhattan/NY, 4 = Queens, 5 = SI/Richmond. Hopefully someone can tell me the other four codes.

301x = Bx1, 302x = Bx2, 303x = Bx3, etc. then 2-digit numbers just get 310x, 320x etc (Bx10, Bx20).

To DOB: How do you enter the number for routes M100-M103? Is there a key on the farebox or destination sign control allowing more than 4 digits or what do you do? And the M100 gets a Manhattan number for the first digit (the boro digit) even though it's maintained by the Bronx division right?

Until I see the pictures, I'm putting down a bet that the rusty bus is 469. That's also a roach bus, ha ha ha...

Edit: Just saw the pictures of 482 with the rust in DOB's gallery, so now I know what the unit # was, plus 5722. Bad bet on my part, good pictures. I think my machine might have a little problem viewing pics in posts here.

Yes I did. Had time at the end on my second trip, so I scrolled through the codes 3070-3079 for the different Bx7 destination codes.......

To Shondrae: If you want a code for a certain bus route BTW, you first just have to know that the route is entered by putting the number of the borough (like 3 for the Bronx), then the route (like 07 for the Bx7), then after that you can just go 1-9 (maybe 0-9 with 0 representing 10 for routes with many more possibilities) for the destinations of the route. Then it's easy.

Each borough is assigned the numbers 1-5, I know the Bronx is 3 but not sure about the other four boroughs. You'd think they'd just have the sequence go alphabetically, so 1 = Bronx, 2 = Brooklyn/Kings, 3 = Manhattan/NY, 4 = Queens, 5 = SI/Richmond. Hopefully someone can tell me the other four codes.

301x = Bx1, 302x = Bx2, 303x = Bx3, etc. then 2-digit numbers just get 310x, 320x etc (Bx10, Bx20).

To DOB: How do you enter the number for routes M100-M103? Is there a key on the farebox or destination sign control allowing more than 4 digits or what do you do? And the M100 gets a Manhattan number for the first digit (the boro digit) even though it's maintained by the Bronx division right?

Until I see the pictures, I'm putting down a bet that the rusty bus is 469. That's also a roach bus, ha ha ha...

Edit: Just saw the pictures of 482 with the rust in DOB's gallery, so now I know what the unit # was, plus 5722. Bad bet on my part, good pictures. I think my machine might have a little problem viewing pics in posts here.

Manhattan is 1, Bronx is 3, Brooklyn is 4, Queens is 5, Staten Island is 6, Express buses are 7. 2 is for 3 digit Manhattan routes. The M100 is 2003 for 2nd Ave 126st, 2004 is for Inwood 220st, 2005 is for 129st.

As to get the codes, you can do it via farebox, or via the little black gadget above the driver, with the buttons on it. To play with the codes, don't use the farebox, cause they vacuum the farebox, and it shows every code you put in. Use the overhead gadget to play with the codes.....(If you are a B/O for MTA).......

Something happened yesterday that hasn't happened since the 8800's left. 567 was having kneeler issues on the 10 and everytime the bus stopped the B/O had to restart it. Needless to say I was late to school.

I'll be happy when KB gets the new buses but part of me will miss the chronically messed up O5's (still can't wait for them to go). Isn't it a hazard to have a clearly rusted bus in service?

When a bus has kneeler issues, the driver suppose to inform the customers, and stop using the kneeler. I had that problem with a CNG, called control, and they said just don't kneel the bus, and inform the passengers. At least with the LF buses and artics, the interlock disengages, even if the bus doesn't rise back to normal. With the RTS's and Orion V's, the interlock stays engaged so you can't move at all. You have to shut off the bus, to reset the interlock.

It matters to all our customers who ride the KB 40ft lines. I already had customers ask me what is up with the crappy bus, and say dang when I hit a pothole, and the rust bucket rattles, like rattling is going out of style..........

It matters to all our customers who ride the KB 40ft lines. I already had customers ask me what is up with the crappy bus, and say dang when I hit a pothole, and the rust bucket rattles, like rattling is going out of style..........

Just tell them new buses will be arriving soon. Someone at the depot probably knows approximately when KB will get new buses. It's just a matter of the B/O's asking management when the buses will get there and someone acutually seeing a bus at the depot for service. For everyone's sake I hope it happens by the end of July.

DOB, have you had 472? Get that bus and I think it'll change your views on the 4xx a bit. Fast, bassy (since it still has a street exhaust), and clean. And the best part is that it doesn't have much rust. That's a bus i would like to have around for a little while. That's my favorite among buses NYCT currently has in service.

DOB, have you had 472? Get that bus and I think it'll change your views on the 4xx a bit. Fast, bassy (since it still has a street exhaust), and clean. And the best part is that it doesn't have much rust. That's a bus i would like to have around for a little while. That's my favorite among buses NYCT currently has in service.

Before reading your post, I posted about 472. I has that bus in front of me working the Bx7 (I was on the M100). I said I would like to drive that bus, with that deep sound. I actually got that bus Last week. That is the 400 series I love, but it does spew out the most smoke of any KB Orion V. They did something to that engine. When accelerating, I can see the smoke coming from the exhaust. Only when accelerating though.......

Yea, that's the only problem with it, the smoking. Outside the smoking though, the bus is perfect. All the marker lights work and are lens-covered, the interior seats were painted not too long ago, no rust, basically #1 in KB outside the smoking.

I know most people would say a 62xx or a 56/57xx is #1 in KB, but I'm tight with the 4/5/6xx :D

472 sounds like a 1xxx/5250-5509 Artic with that bass.

Yea, that's the only problem with it, the smoking. Outside the smoking though, the bus is perfect. All the marker lights work and are lens-covered, the interior seats were painted not too long ago, no rust, basically #1 in KB outside the smoking.

I know most people would say a 62xx or a 56/57xx is #1 in KB, but I'm tight with the 4/5/6xx :D

Ever rode 291-294? Those have more bass than a C40LF! 5402 also sounds like a C40LF on the outside. 5258 also sounded like it until they fixed the bus up.

BTW I see the pictures now... Nice shots!

I love a good white back 56/5700 bus. But at KB even that is hard to get when you get one. Some of them are slugs. 472 is one of the better old dawgs at KB. I still would take a 6000 over it though.......

Like any bus operator. A bus op told me once that a yard dispatcher told him he was upgrading him to "first class" by giving him a 62xx over a 4/5/6xx. If I was working out of KB I'd be the opposite and the bus ops would think I'm smoking something. Every bus operator I know likes the 62s better, even the 20-30-year dudes who say they don't care what they get as long as they're getting paid.

Like any bus operator. A bus op told me once that a yard dispatcher told him he was upgrading him to "first class" by giving him a 62xx over a 4/5/6xx. If I was working out of KB I'd be the opposite and the bus ops would think I'm smoking something. Every bus operator I know likes the 62s better, even the 20-30-year dudes who say they don't care what they get as long as they're getting paid.

You know, I really wish when the swap was made, that they gave KB more RTS's. I would have loved if KB got RTS's # from 9550-9699. I miss the view of the road that the RTS's gave, cause the driver sits up so high. My favorite 40fters of all time is 9664 and 9665, when they paid a visit to KB in 2006.

We had some 9xxx in 2004 and before then, including the special 9656. I rode that bus I think we had 96xx-9699, 9699 definitely being last in order. I have a picture of it too. Don't remember any 95xx. In 2004 when we got 6xxx from Clara Hale (beginning with 6078 in June 2004 and decreasing in order) the 9xxx slowly went to Brooklyn.

History: Sadly I never saw 4795 or 4797-4798 again after 6078 rolled in, so those were the last 1980s two-stroke RTSs KB ever had. Went to Ulmer Park and then were scrapped.

We had some 9xxx in 2004 and before then, including the special 9656. I rode that bus I think we had 96xx-9699, 9699 definitely being last in order. I have a picture of it too. Don't remember any 95xx. In 2004 when we got 6xxx from Clara Hale (beginning with 6078 in June 2004 and decreasing in order) the 9xxx slowly went to Brooklyn.

History: Sadly I never saw 4795 or 4797-4798 again after 6078 rolled in, so those were the last 1980s two-stroke RTSs KB ever had. Went to Ulmer Park and then were scrapped.

I miss 9656 all ready. The first 9656 was not as fast as it's replacement.

Some great M100 shots there!

Manhattan is 1, Bronx is 3, Brooklyn is 4, Queens is 5, Staten Island is 6, Express buses are 7. 2 is for 3 digit Manhattan routes. The M100 is 2003 for 2nd Ave 126st, 2004 is for Inwood 220st, 2005 is for 129st.

How, then, do you do the Brooklyn and Queens routes that are greater than 100 (for example, the B103 or Q112)?

Archived