Your Favorite NJ Transit Locomotive

Harry

What is your favorite NJ Transit locomotive?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is your favorite NJ Transit locomotive?

• ALP-44/M - ABB
    • ALP-46 - Bombadier
    • F40PH-2CAT - EMD
    • GP40-2 (N-R) - EMD
    • GP40FH-2 - EMD
    • GP40PH-2 A/B - EMD
    • PL42-AC - Alstom
    • SW1500 (N-R) - EMD

It has been a while since i rode a train pushed or pulled by an apl-44, mostly because the trains i catch are either EMU or peak hour multilevel, but i dont' remember them having a smooth ride. the EMU's are just too outdated and noisy inside, the diesels don't generally ride on the :nec: where i travel 99% of the time, so i don't have an opinion on them aside from liking the design and tech specs of the new higher HP PL42AC.

The ALP-46 has smooth acceleration and braking (the cars don't bounce off each other as much) and HEP is consistent and plentiful, and the sheer number of cars it can carry at top speed, and they have a modern high speed design. I can't wait for the next generation to be delivered. I might pay money to ride the first revenue train with a new ALP-46a hooked it it.

The toasters need an overhaul and a new paint job, and the EMU's need to be updated to 2008 commuter rail possibilities as far as seats and interior design. It will be interesting to see what roles the older electric stuff plays as more and more multilevels are delivered and the new ALP-46a's come into play.

- Andy

Hello Everyone,

I have to say NJ Transit SW1500 locomotive #502. The last NJ Transit SW1500 still in service. This locomotive was not used in revenue service to pull passenger trains but it had its its own special charm and its one of the NJ Transit locomotives that everyone has to have a photograph of.

Eric

ALP-46's are some of the best looking locomotives worldwide in my opinion (and definitely the best NJT has). Hopefully they'll get a new EMU generation, I've always preferred EMUs to locomotives.

The (NJT) arrow 3's are really old, and could really use a refresh with an overhaul combined with a few whole new trains. There are really beaten up ones that need new seat mounts and doors. Doors always getting stuck. I wouldn't be shocked if by end of next year they are taken out of service 5-6 car sets at a time for service.

- Andy

The (NJT) arrow 3's are really old, and could really use a refresh with an overhaul combined with a few whole new trains. There are really beaten up ones that need new seat mounts and doors. Doors always getting stuck. I wouldn't be shocked if by end of next year they are taken out of service 5-6 car sets at a time for service.

- Andy

Actually, it'll be alot more cheaper for NJT to just buy new cars than to overhaul the Arrow IIIs now. If NJT only had the money, even though I'm sure they'll the funding, to order new EMUs now.

Archived