Bx5 new stops at Hutchinson River Parkway, Lafayette Avenue, and Brush Avenue

GreatOne2k

The Bx5 should have a stop at the Home Depot and loop around the area (Hutchinson River Parkway, Lafayette Avenue, and Brush Avenue). This will give the Bx5 a direct transfer to the Q44 for the first time. It will also make it easier for those going to the Home Depot, Whitestone Cinemas, and the UPS facility, especially for those nowhere near the Q44 or Q50. This would also allow the Bx5 to service new stores opening in 2013 like Target and TJ Maxx. The stores will be located in the area of 815 Hutchinson River Parkway.

Currently the only transportation in the area is the crowded Q44 and infrequent Q50 (and some Bx5 school trips). The Q44 cannot handle all of the additional riders that will be going to the new stores schedule to open in Spring 2013.

Proposed Bx5 loop

Bruckner Blvd to Brush Ave - Google Maps

Target, developers buy Bronx Postal Service building for $35M | The Real Deal | New York Real Estate News

Ripco Retail Real Estate | Listing Detail

A loop is not needed. If people wanna go to the Home Depot or other store, they can just walk.

When I ride the Q44 SB to the HDpt, it isn't really much of a walk, its right next to the bus stop. For all the other stores, a walk or Q44 ride would also won't hurt. Now if they wanna add special limited trips, then I guess its fine, even tho i still don't see a point. The Bx5 already passes several stores right around White Plains Rd and Story Ave.

Just add a BX5 stop right next to the current SB Q44 stop and then let it hop on the Bruckner Service Rd North.

A loop is not needed. If people wanna go to the Home Depot or other store, they can just walk.

When I ride the Q44 SB to the HDpt, it isn't really much of a walk, its right next to the bus stop. For all the other stores, a walk or Q44 ride would also won't hurt. Now if they wanna add special limited trips, then I guess its fine, even tho i still don't see a point. The Bx5 already passes several stores right around White Plains Rd and Story Ave.

Just add a BX5 stop right next to the current SB Q44 stop and then let it hop on the Bruckner Service Rd North.

The point is to have the Bx5 stop there (not everyone is near the Q44). This way the Bx5 can stop in the area in both directions. N/B one currently has to walk across the bridge just to get to the area. UPS customer center is also there (a walk several blocks down Brush Avenue). S/B there is no way to get to the Bx5 directly, even walking across the bridge wouldn't work. Q50 bus is usually infrequent and isn't a good transfer option.

Q44 can get very crowded, having crowded bus stops by Monsignor Scanlan will not help those Queens Bronx travelers, it will just increase crowding and dwell times. The Bx9 has people with bags and other items from Target getting on.

The Bx5 loop would be like the W20 stopping at Cross County Shopping Center. The MTA can take the Bx5 off of Crosby and put it back on Bruckner to offset any additional costs and running time.

these would be the proposed stops

N/B

1. Hutchinson River Parkway & Bruckner Boulevard

2. Lafayette Avenue & Hutchinson River Parkway (Monsignor Scanlan bus stop, existing N/B Bx5 (school trips only), Q44, and Q50)

3. Brush Avenue & Bruckner Boulevard

S/B

1. Hutchinson River Parkway & Bruckner Boulevard

2. Hutchinson River Parkway & Lafayette Avenue (existing S/B Q44 and Q50 bus stop before making right turn on Lafayette)

3. Brush Avenue & Bruckner Boulevard

Stop #2 is where riders going to/from Target would be using

hay MTA here is a better idea ENHANCE Q50 SERVICE!!!!!!!! rather than slow down the bx5.

just my takes carry on

More people will come from the Soundview/Unionport/Castle Hill area by bus than Pelham Bay area (who will more likely drive). Q50 isn't going to do anything for others (maybe Co Op City riders and some Pelham Bay riders going to Target). If anything the Q44 will just have to deal with much later buses.

Bx5 will not really be slowed down since there is the option of getting ride of the Crosby routing and putting it back on Bruckner. Those using the bus from Pelham Bay could take either bus (Bx5, Q50) to Target area.

First it's wanting to re-route buses inside the Whitestone Cinemas, now to circumnavigate around the Home Depot....

....as if the Bx5 hasn't been slowed down enough already, with having buses been done re-routed along crosby towards Pelham Bay Park......

If that's the case, I want B57's to serve the Home depot out in Gowanus too !

First it's wanting to re-route buses inside the Whitestone Cinemas, now to circumnavigate around the Home Depot....

....as if the Bx5 hasn't been slowed down enough already, with having buses been done re-routed along crosby towards Pelham Bay Park......

If that's the case, I want B57's to serve the Home depot out in Gowanus too !

This is more than just Home Depot, this involves:

1. A stop in the area that it completely bypasses

2. Direct transfer to/from the Q44 and Bx5

3. Surrounding places of interest (UPS Customer Center, Whitestone Cinemas, Home Depot, etc)

4. Future places of interest (Target, TJ Maxx, other potential stores)

5. Alternate to Q44 and Q50 and would relieve crowding especially in 2013 when the new shopping center opens.

6. This will take the Bx5 off of Crosby Avenue completely and back on Bruckner Boulevard

7. Would increase Pelham Bay branch ridership especially during the holidays

8. Offers an option that won't be delayed by bridge traffic

All it takes is for a backup on the Whitestone Bridge and those crowds by Monsignor Scanlan (nearest N/B bus stop) will grow from the new shopping center, at least the Bx5 would be there to lighten the load.

The Q94 would have been nice to have since it would be another alternative to the crowded Q44.

This is more than just Home Depot, this involves:

1. A stop in the area that it completely bypasses

2. Direct transfer to/from the Q44 and Bx5

3. Surrounding places of interest (UPS Customer Center, Whitestone Cinemas, Home Depot, etc)

4. Future places of interest (Target, TJ Maxx, other potential stores)

5. Alternate to Q44 and Q50 and would relieve crowding especially in 2013 when the new shopping center opens.

6. This will take the Bx5 off of Crosby Avenue completely and back on Bruckner Boulevard

7. Would increase Pelham Bay branch ridership especially during the holidays

8. Offers an option that won't be delayed by bridge traffic

All it takes is for a backup on the Whitestone Bridge and those crowds by Monsignor Scanlan (nearest N/B bus stop) will grow from the new shopping center, at least the Bx5 would be there to lighten the load.

The Q94 would have been nice to have since it would be another alternative to the crowded Q44.

The home depot was your sticking point, that's why I only mentioned that.

I don't know if you realize this, but there is a very particular reason why they build home depots, and most these other big box stores all out the way.... It's because they want people to get to these places by cars.... Can you imagine someone buying a bunch (or even one) bulky items from home depot, etc, and lugging them on the bus? It's not practical.... It's not worth it to have buses rerouted around em.....

This is the MTA we're talkin about... They aint goin remove buses off crosby to implement what you're suggesting... They moved buses on crosby st, to eliminate all that wasted mileage along Bruckner (b/w crosby & PBP) where hardly anyone was gettin on/off.... How many people do you really expect to take advantage of having buses rerouted the way you want to ?

Points #2 & #5 is basically sayin the same thing; increasing interconnectivity issues....

If we were in the suburbs, I'd agree with you 100% on this.... but since we in the city here, I mean, let's keep our bus routes/routings less meanderable as possible..... Especially the (articulated) straight-forward (for the most part) Bx5....

...and how come you're not suggesting some bus route circumnavigate Bronx Gateway mall? May as well be consistent here.....

I don't even see demand for those looking to go in a loop down there. The Bx5 is pretty light when passing the Home Depot area, so service down there wouldn't make sense. Unlike the Q44 which is quiet heavy, but even that doesn't mean a whole load gets off, only a few, rest heads to Queens.

Q50 would do for now in this case, for those who want Pelham Bay.

Since you mentioned Bronx Gateway Center, There i can see some sort of service. There are tons of folks who go down there, who are not just drivers. Lots of folks do use the Bx19 to/from Manhattan and Central Bronx to get to the Shopping Center.. Besides walking.

But even the Bx19, i wouldn't suggest heading there (Unless its limited trips) since its a heavy route. An alternative yes.

I don't even see demand for those looking to go in a loop down there. The Bx5 is pretty light when passing the Home Depot area, so service down there wouldn't make sense. Unlike the Q44 which is quiet heavy, but even that doesn't mean a whole load gets off, only a few, rest heads to Queens.

Q50 would do for now in this case, for those who want Pelham Bay.

Since you mentioned Bronx Gateway Center, There i can see some sort of service. There are tons of folks who go down there, who are not just drivers. Lots of folks do use the Bx19 to/from Manhattan and Central Bronx to get to the Shopping Center.. Besides walking.

But even the Bx19, i wouldn't suggest heading there (Unless its limited trips) since its a heavy route. An alternative yes.

Oh, I know they do (about Bx. Gateway Mall)....

What I'm alluding to is, GreatOne keeps suggesting that Bx5's be altered around the HRP/Bruckner area, and hardly anyone gets on/off out there; along the Bx5..... I'm not seeing where the demand is for it either...

The people you see waiting for buses (44's & 50's) in that general area, are either stragglers here & there that are in the area for w/e reason, or those having came off a 44 to xfer to the 50 (or vice versa).....

I brought up Bx. Gateway mall b/c there is a certain demand to have buses directly serve the mall....

Just to be clear, I'm not sayin his concerns are baseless - I'm sayin it isn't worth it; lookin at the bigger picture..... Do you know how many little alterations here & there, and how many bus stops would have to be moved within the 5 boroughs to make xferring from one bus to another, more feasible systemwide.....

This is the MTA we're talkin about... They aint goin remove buses off crosby to implement what you're suggesting... They moved buses on crosby st, to eliminate all that wasted mileage along Bruckner (b/w crosby & PBP) where hardly anyone was gettin on/off.... How many people do you really expect to take advantage of having buses rerouted the way you want to ?

The funny thing is that when they moved the Bx5 off of Bruckner, ridership and efficiency decreased IIRC. Some ridership may have shofted to the (6), but even then, they basically increased costs for no reason, now that the Bx8 is back on Crosby Avenue.

looping around it isnt a need. ive used that route since long before the demise of the Bx54. no body really gets off around there not even for the multiplex. walking wasnt, and still really isnt, an issue. i grew up in the Bruckner-Soundview section. walking to White Plains rd wasnt an issue.

and untill the 90's, s/b Q44's made a right onto Castle Hill and a left on Bruckner. At that corner use to be the only direct transfer to the Bx5. it has never been an issue to keep a direct transfer. Just like its not an issue to walk a few blocks from the bus to the shopping center.

The home depot was your sticking point, that's why I only mentioned that.

I don't know if you realize this, but there is a very particular reason why they build home depots, and most these other big box stores all out the way.... It's because they want people to get to these places by cars.... Can you imagine someone buying a bunch (or even one) bulky items from home depot, etc, and lugging them on the bus? It's not practical.... It's not worth it to have buses rerouted around em.....

Points #2 & #5 is basically sayin the same thing; increasing interconnectivity issues....

If we were in the suburbs, I'd agree with you 100% on this.... but since we in the city here, I mean, let's keep our bus routes/routings less meanderable as possible..... Especially the (articulated) straight-forward (for the most part) Bx5....

...and how come you're not suggesting some bus route circumnavigate Bronx Gateway mall? May as well be consistent here.....

I mentioned Home Depot since it would be the first stop in the loop. People do buy items from Home Depot, Target, etc and bring them on the bus, subway, I have seen it. Even a tall item from Target was seen on the Bx9. I once seen someone bringing a ladder on the Bx19 years ago. Some people have bags and their own shopping carts leaving the Gateway Mall, one was even from BJs so even the carless will find a way to use bog box stores, either by walking, or taking those items on a bus, or train.

Several people do use transit to pick up packages from UPS (even doing long walks). Getting a package from UPS is a pain itself, getting there makes it worse if you don't have a car. At least one had a small shopping cart opened and tucked in while they are sitting in the front of the bus.

This loop would mainly attract riders from the other direction of the Bx5 (Story Avenue, White Plains Road, Castle Hill Avenue) and have them ride over to the new stores (Target). The Bruckner routing just keeps the running time similar to now and speeds up the ride a bit for those riding through from Pelham Bay/Orchard Beach. MTA could wait until Summer 2013 to do this loop if they want to see if the Q44 would get jammed with more people.

I already mentioned Gateway mall here, the Bx2 reroute would be the best idea.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/bx1-bx2-bx13-options-gateway-mall-e-153-st-mnr-station-30712.html

I don't even see demand for those looking to go in a loop down there. The Bx5 is pretty light when passing the Home Depot area, so service down there wouldn't make sense. Unlike the Q44 which is quiet heavy, but even that doesn't mean a whole load gets off, only a few, rest heads to Queens. Q50 would do for now in this case, for those who want Pelham Bay.

Q50 would also be needed to transfer to the S/B Bx5 unless they walk to Castle Hill Avenue, or Gifford Avenue. There are also Bx5 school trippers that run to Pelham Bay (if the still run those).

If Q44 ridership increases a lot in 2013, then something would have to be done, or just let the bus have longer dwell times. The Whitestone Bridge traffic can also become another problem if Target, TJ Maxx and the shopping center becomes too popular.

Bx2 is better to reroute than the Bx19. Even the Bx1 or Bx13 would be a better idea to reroute than the Bx19.

Anyone know if the Q50 also stops at Hutchinson River Parkway & Wenner Pl or is it just the Q44? Picture at google maps shows two routes, but onthego.mta.info doesn't list that as a Q50 stop

Only the Q44 stops there.

As for the Bx5 reroute, I have a farfetched idea for it -- terminate the Bx5 at Lafayette/Hutchinson (the future site of Throggs Neck Plaza).

Since the Bx5 doesn't pick up too many people east of the Bruckner Interchange, it could easily terminate at Throggs Neck Plaza. Besides, most of the potential shoppers would come from Soundview, Castle Hill and Hunts Point via the Bx5.

As for those on Bruckner Blvd east of the Interchange, the Q50 could easily make local stops to Pelham Bay Park. It would give access to the new mall for the rest of the East Bronx

Only the Q44 stops there.

As for the Bx5 reroute, I have a farfetched idea for it -- terminate the Bx5 at Lafayette/Hutchinson (the future site of Throggs Neck Plaza).

Since the Bx5 doesn't pick up too many people east of the Bruckner Interchange, it could easily terminate at Throggs Neck Plaza. Besides, most of the potential shoppers would come from Soundview, Castle Hill and Hunts Point via the Bx5.

As for those on Bruckner Blvd east of the Interchange, the Q50 could easily make local stops to Pelham Bay Park. It would give access to the new mall for the rest of the East Bronx

Cutting the Bx5 from Pelham Bay is not a good idea. There are times when that branch does have decent ridership (like Pelham Bay Park, and Tremont Avenue during certain weekday times). Also summer service goes to/from Orchard Beach and can have standees riding through.

Extending the Bx5 short turns (White Plains Road) and ending them at Lafayette/Hutchinson would be good idea, but that can't happen until after the mall opens and ridership is measured. The Bx5 loop would be a good way to see to measure Bx5 ridership to/from Throggs Neck Plaza(even though it's in Ferry Point, not Throggs Neck).

Another idea would be to wait until Summer or Fall 2013, and if the Q44 is more overcrowded and even more delay prone, the Bx5 short turns could be extended to Throggs Neck Plaza/Monsignor Scanlan. This would either mean leaving the existing Pelham Bay buses alone, or running all Bx5 there depending upon ridership.

Cutting the Bx5 from Pelham Bay is not a good idea. There are times when that branch does have decent ridership (like Pelham Bay Park, and Tremont Avenue during certain weekday times). Also summer service goes to/from Orchard Beach and can have standees riding through.

Extending the Bx5 short turns (White Plains Road) and ending them at Lafayette/Hutchinson would be good idea, but that can't happen until after the mall opens and ridership is measured. The Bx5 loop would be a good way to see to measure Bx5 ridership to/from Throggs Neck Plaza(even though it's in Ferry Point, not Throggs Neck).

Another idea would be to wait until Summer or Fall 2013, and if the Q44 is more overcrowded and even more delay prone, the Bx5 short turns could be extended to Throggs Neck Plaza/Monsignor Scanlan. This would either mean leaving the existing Pelham Bay buses alone, or running all Bx5 there depending upon ridership.

The Bx5 running to Throggs Neck Plaza could be viewed as incentive to spike up Q50 service as well.

The Bx5 running to Throggs Neck Plaza could be viewed as incentive to spike up Q50 service as well.

What about weekend Orchard Beach service? People do ride through on the Bx5 to Orchard Beach.

A three legged transfer between the Bx5, Q50, and other bus would be needed since people do use the Bx5 and transfer at Pelham Bay for service to Bay Plaza.

What about weekend Orchard Beach service? People do ride through on the Bx5 to Orchard Beach.

A three legged transfer between the Bx5, Q50, and other bus would be needed since people do use the Bx5 and transfer at Pelham Bay for service to Bay Plaza.

For Orchard Beach, I'm not sure yet.

As for Bay plaza access, that's another animal. Those in Soundview could easily take the Bx39 to the Bx12 if they want Bay Plaza. Besides, they would have Throggs Neck Plaza and Bruckner Plaza already.

For Orchard Beach, I'm not sure yet.

As for Bay plaza access, that's another animal. Those in Soundview could easily take the Bx39 to the Bx12 if they want Bay Plaza. Besides, they would have Throggs Neck Plaza and Bruckner Plaza already.

Bx39 to Bx12 is too long, the Bx5 is a quicker trip anyway, plus it also gives the option of the Bx29 to Bay Plaza.

I mentioned Home Depot since it would be the first stop in the loop. People do buy items from Home Depot, Target, etc and bring them on the bus, subway, I have seen it. Even a tall item from Target was seen on the Bx9. I once seen someone bringing a ladder on the Bx19 years ago. Some people have bags and their own shopping carts leaving the Gateway Mall, one was even from BJs so even the carless will find a way to use bog box stores, either by walking, or taking those items on a bus, or train.

Several people do use transit to pick up packages from UPS (even doing long walks). Getting a package from UPS is a pain itself, getting there makes it worse if you don't have a car. At least one had a small shopping cart opened and tucked in while they are sitting in the front of the bus.

This loop would mainly attract riders from the other direction of the Bx5 (Story Avenue, White Plains Road, Castle Hill Avenue) and have them ride over to the new stores (Target). The Bruckner routing just keeps the running time similar to now and speeds up the ride a bit for those riding through from Pelham Bay/Orchard Beach. MTA could wait until Summer 2013 to do this loop if they want to see if the Q44 would get jammed with more people.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/bx1-bx2-bx13-options-gateway-mall-e-153-st-mnr-station-30712.html

When I go down to the Home Depot area, I don't see a huge amount of folks riding the bus to/from the Home Depot or the Cine. A lot of them come in and out by car.

Now maybe instead of the Bx5 going around there, a new shuttle loop route could do for all of that.

For the UPS store. Even i if you have a loop, You would still need to walk down Brush Avenue to get there. The walk is like 10-15mins off the Q44.

On a side note. I'm wondering if demand on Crosby is higher or lower then it was on the Bruckner.

Q50 would also be needed to transfer to the S/B Bx5 unless they walk to Castle Hill Avenue, or Gifford Avenue. There are also Bx5 school trippers that run to Pelham Bay (if the still run those).

If Q44 ridership increases a lot in 2013, then something would have to be done, or just let the bus have longer dwell times. The Whitestone Bridge traffic can also become another problem if Target, TJ Maxx and the shopping center becomes too popular.

Bx2 is better to reroute than the Bx19. Even the Bx1 or Bx13 would be a better idea to reroute than the Bx19.

The Bx19 has a higher ridership for those going to the Plaza compared to the Bx2. Plus I dont think the Bx2 would be able to make a turn on to 161st Street.

The Bx13 could also do, but there is an AM extension to Elton & 163rd, unless select buses keep going to there and the rest to BGM.

When I go down to the Home Depot area, I don't see a huge amount of folks riding the bus to/from the Home Depot or the Cine. A lot of them come in and out by car.

Now maybe instead of the Bx5 going around there, a new shuttle loop route could do for all of that.

For the UPS store. Even i if you have a loop, You would still need to walk down Brush Avenue to get there. The walk is like 10-15mins off the Q44.

On a side note. I'm wondering if demand on Crosby is higher or lower then it was on the Bruckner.

When Throggs Neck Plaza opens (and demand increases) a Bx5A (extension of White Plains Road trips) could run down Hutchinson River Parkway and end at Schley Avenue, then the N/B Bus will begin there and loop back up the other side of Hutchinson River Parkway in Ferry Point Park, that will handle UPS store and the new shopping center and cut down on the walking time dramatically. For now this is about transfers and accessibility. The current ridership wouldn't justify the short turns extended to the UPS area (which would leave the current Bx5 Pelham Bay alone), but by Fall 2013 the ridership would be up to consider the White Plains Road bus extension.

Crosby Avenue routing already may have made some Bx5 riders switch to the Q50 bus (for the quicker trip) . It would be better to place the Bx5 back on Bruckner Boulevard, it makes up time by speeding on Bruckner. Not every portion of a route has to be packed, the Bx5 is packed on the other end from Hunts Point.

The Bx19 has a higher ridership for those going to the Plaza compared to the Bx2. Plus I dont think the Bx2 would be able to make a turn on to 161st Street.

The Bx13 could also do, but there is an AM extension to Elton & 163rd, unless select buses keep going to there and the rest to BGM.

Bx2 would stay on E 149 St, turn on River Av, then turn on E 165 St, then turn back on the Grand Concourse. E 165 St is much better to run on then E 161 St.

Good discussion here... I'll continue it.

I know some people (actually) do things of that nature (bringing bulky items onto buses); that doesn't make it practical, or anymore justified though....

Your suggestion is nothin more than wishful thinking; hoping that enough ppl. will utilize buses that'd end up looping around that area.... Of course you're gonna defend your idea, but you seem to be very defiant about this (over the course of years, at least you're consistent, I'll give you that...)..... My thing is, you're talking like there's untapped ridership, and/or complete/clear evidence that ppl. want Bx5's to do what you're suggesting.....

...and that's another thing... Orchard beach service in the summertime....

Let's say you will end up having decent amt. of ppl. per trip boarding buses over there by the home depot, etc..... Do you really want shoppers & beach-goers (or comers-from) on the same bus like that?

As far as Bx Gateway, I remember the thread, but I didn't remember you authored it... I stand corrected on that.....

looping around it isnt a need. ive used that route since long before the demise of the Bx54. no body really gets off around there not even for the multiplex. walking wasnt, and still really isnt, an issue. i grew up in the Bruckner-Soundview section. walking to White Plains rd wasnt an issue.

So there is a history of folks not gettin off around there... Good to know.

Although convenient, we can't have buses serving every little nook & cranny....

The funny thing is that when they moved the Bx5 off of Bruckner, ridership and efficiency decreased IIRC. Some ridership may have shofted to the (6), but even then, they basically increased costs for no reason, now that the Bx8 is back on Crosby Avenue.

heh... yet another one of their brilliant implementations that's backfired on them.....

Archived