Not a nice start for N.I.C.E

Cait Sith

The ramps on the O5s go all the way down.. if they work.

Last I remember riding LIB with a wheelchair passenger aboard an NG, the bus operator kneeled it down and then activated the ramp, and the passenger just moved off. They can't lower it all the way down at Hempstead or else the ramp scrapes against the ground (!) and it gets stuck. Anyway, they only have to lower it about an inch there. If they're doing a normal curbside stop, they shouldn't have an issue with kneeling it all the way down.

Does anyone know more about this lady? Was this demonstration during the press conference/ribbon cutting or somewhere else? Does this lady work for Veolia or NICE? Was she picked picked out of the crowd?

At first it was a "what are the odds" type of situation, now that you mention it the odds of this happening when and where it did (with the media there was) does seem sketchy.

Im wondering this myself.... The press photo shows that it doesn't looked kneeled. But the one taken by a cell phone you can't tell much.

All of this doesn't add up.

I know the media can personally put false things up. They could of just had that bus not to kneel by asking the driver when they took the photo. But, maybe when it was taken with the phone camera it was at a different time.

The 1800 buses were built to NYC specs, would this be a feature built into the bus when they manufature it or does the city install the interlocks at a later time?

Interlocks are usually factory installed, but can be done after market.

Does the NG have the manual ramp??ACela is right on deployment though,C40LF also must be kneeled or else no go unless you manually throw it.Too bad they didn't try this with the Orion V CNG HF ;)

All low floors have manumatic (manual/automatic) ramps now.

Some bus interlocks disengage as soon as you hit the kneel switch, which means the the bus can pretty much be in the normal position and still deploy. Apparently it depends on the agency specs.

The passenger was a legit ADA

The New Year's Day "maiden run" of a Nassau County NICE bus was hastily scrapped after a journalist in a wheelchair fell and hit her head on the pavement while boarding the bus at a news conference in Garden City.

The journalist, Barbara Yanger, was taken by ambulance to Nassau County Medical Center, Nassau police said. Her condition was stable Sunday night, the hospital said.

Yanger was attempting to roll her chair up a ramp at the front of the bus unassisted when her wheelchair flipped backward, slamming her head against the depot tarmac.

"I can't move," Yanger said Sunday night from her hospital bed.

Yanger is using a wheelchair after she suffered a heart attack and stroke a few weeks ago that left her right side paralyzed, said her husband, Raymond.

The 12:30 p.m. bus ride, from a bus fueling and service depot, had been intended to highlight the new Nassau Inter-County Express Bus system, which rolled out Sunday shortly after midnight.

Andrew Read Kraus, a NICE Bus spokesman, told a few dozen county and Veolia employees and reporters that the bus ride was canceled. "We're praying" for Yanger, he said."

I know we're joking about NICE and their NICE service, with their NICE buses and their NICE service, but what I just read was anything but NICE. But, I know this. When Mrs. Yanger gets out of the hospital, she'll have a NICE check from NICE when she sues! And that's really NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

The passenger was a legit ADA

I know we're joking about NICE and their NICE service, with their NICE buses and their NICE service, but what I just read was anything but NICE. But, I know this. When Mrs. Yanger gets out of the hospital, she'll have a NICE check from NICE when she sues! And that's really NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I seriously doubt the part about her getting a nice check from Veolia. Wheres her personal responsibility? IF the bus was not kneeled and the ramp was steep doesn't she have the responsibility to tell the driver the ramp is to steep? Can you really just through caution to the wind and take risks, and put all of the blame on the driver and Veolia if she is injured?

IMHO this women should not have been pushing herself up the ramp (kneeled or not) in her condition. Paralyzed on her left side from a stroke and recovering from a heart attack weeks ago!?! Are you serious, she put herself in harms way excreting herself.

After hearing her condition I am leaning more towards what I said in an earlier, the accident happened because she stopped pushing her wheelchair for whatever reason.

I feel very bad for this women and wish her a speedy recovery but it's wrong for people to be throwing Veolia and the operator under the bus for this....and everyone is assuming Veolia is liable and on the hook for a big pay day before any of us even know why this accident happened!?!

I just checked into that. You can deploy the ramps on Orion VII's without the bus in the kneel position. However, NYCT may have interlocks on their buses, and Nassau buses may not. But just by looking at that picture, I'm stll about 99.9% sure that bus was not kneeled.

We'd need someone from NICE to confirm because kneeling the bus is the final step before activating the wheelchair power on the leftside panel - key activation. Perhaps they manually did the ramp, which may explain why the bus isn't kneeled.

Personally, I don't like those ramps on ADA lifts. I rather have a good old fashion ADA life, like the Recons that are on MCI's or the ones on RTS' and NABI's. Hell, the old Metro B ADA lifts are a lot better. For one, I don't like a lift where there is a slope. I'm not 100% familiar with those lifts, and maybe someone can help me with that since I'm used to the ones I used at NJT. But to me, if the lift has a sliding ramp to get in, and there is a slope like the one that happened the other day, maybe the Operator should get out and at least ask the passenger for assistance to assure a safe in and out. Then, if the passenger declines, the B/O is clear of any issues, as long as the B/O is around in case there is a issue, but that's my opinion.

For me the fact that they used someone that was new to the wheelchair played a big role in this incident....anytime I ever picked up a wheel chair if they did not like the slope or thought I was too far from the curb or whatever the first thing they would do is ask....Mr can you lower the bus some more....can you angle the bus closer or whatever the case maybe....I don't have these problems but I do remember when I was new it took alittle getting use to and they would ask.......in any event the Bus Operator should of known to kneel the bus.....Just my 2 cents.....;)

For me the fact that they used someone that was new to the wheelchair played a big role in this incident....anytime I ever picked up a wheel chair if they did not like the slope or thought I was too far from the curb or whatever the first thing they would do is ask....Mr can you lower the bus some more....can you angle the bus closer or whatever the case maybe....I don't have these problems but I do remember when I was new it took alittle getting use to and they would ask.......in any event the Bus Operator should of known to kneel the bus.....Just my 2 cents.....;)

Exactly! And her medical condition concerns me. Paralyzed on her left side from a stroke and the article states she was using the wheelchair because she had a heart attack a few weeks earlier. She should have never used this ramp.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived