Fed up with the MTA!

pelhamlocal

i get to penn station this after noon, so we head for the Uptown (1), and a (2) Uptown Express, pulls in. So, im like okay, understandable, construction, on the 7th Ave lines on weekends, round clock, blahblahblah. Then i see a flyer on a pillar saying (1) Uptown Locals making all stops to 242nd, on the express track. Still keeping it together.:) Just wait it gets better, when we reach the express platform, we(me and my Mom) walk over to the uptown side. Pink tape. Almost about to lose it, so just as we are going to the stairs, a kid says uptown local is arriving...something like that. I'm like:confused:what, but then i see a train of 62's pull in on the downtown side, so i decided to see whats up. so while walking over there, i here the emergency brakes, being applyed(train fully stoped, doors open...you know) and i see the motor man. I tap on the glass and ask is the a uptown local, and he reply yeah...or something. So, i got on almost about to lose it but it was too hot, winter coat on and all, and was too tired, and im pretty sure my mom was at that point too. but all in all, i QUOTE, myself, " The MTA really needs to get its, (S6)(H)(1)(T) together" unquote, or atleast thats what i remember saying. But in all seriousness the TA, needs to get its (S6)(H)(1)(T) together, fo real.:mad:, and so thats my story.

This isn't anywhere close to as bad some of the stories I've heard about brooklyn what with people having to travel all the way to Coney Island before they could get a manhattan bound train. Honestly it was a little confusion for you and a couple stairs to climb. Quit the needless rage.

well, sorry but i don't ride the subway nearly as much as i used to, since i live in long island. but i understand what youre saying

also i have a problem with my knees and im a little outta shape, so yeah i have a problem with stairs.

Yeah your knees hurt, sure, that's understandable, but really? Did you have to backtrack (take a train one direction to another station and turn back) to catch your train to get to your destination? You're making a much bigger deal out of it than it really is.

lol... This happens way too often IMO and yes I can understand the frustration, esp. along the 7th Avenue line because it is always a "mystery" to figure out which train is on which track. They've been doing trackwork on that line for years. Okay, so weekend track work must be done, fine. The question is why does this unnecessary confusion happen so often with the wrong information being relayed? It's happened to me at least a dozen times where I've had to run from platform to platform trying to figure out which train is running on which track at the 34th street station. Seems like they need a better plan because they put one sign up and then it's a completely different story. It's almost like they're trying to keep you from using the subway. Sometimes the (MTA) workers don't even know what's going on until the last minute, which is definitely a problem. In addition to the confusion of which train is running on which track and which train is making which stops, the shuttle service is atrocious. You get off of the subway at Chambers then on to a shuttle and sit there for God knows how long and then of course miss the ferry, which depending on the time of day may run only once an hour. You would think that they would try to have the shuttles run with some sort of order, but they don't. The (MTA) wonders why riders get so frustrated?? Use common sense for starters. And for those who say leave more time, stop blaming the passengers and put the blame where it should go for once. There's only so many excuses and patience that passengers can take. Responsibility and accountability are two things that the (MTA) for once should learn and actually implement. When they do that, they will earn a lot more respect from the passengers.

i get to penn station this after noon, so we head for the Uptown (1), and a (2) Uptown Express, pulls in. So, im like okay, understandable, construction, on the 7th Ave lines on weekends, round clock, blahblahblah. Then i see a flyer on a pillar saying (1) Uptown Locals making all stops to 242nd, on the express track. Still keeping it together.:) Just wait it gets better, when we reach the express platform, we(me and my Mom) walk over to the uptown side. Pink tape. Almost about to lose it, so just as we are going to the stairs, a kid says uptown local is arriving...something like that. I'm like:confused:what, but then i see a train of 62's pull in on the downtown side, so i decided to see whats up. so while walking over there, i here the emergency brakes, being applyed(train fully stoped, doors open...you know) and i see the motor man. I tap on the glass and ask is the a uptown local, and he reply yeah...or something. So, i got on almost about to lose it but it was too hot, winter coat on and all, and was too tired, and im pretty sure my mom was at that point too. but all in all, i QUOTE, myself, " The MTA really needs to get its, (S6)(H)(1)(T) together" unquote, or atleast thats what i remember saying. But in all seriousness the TA, needs to get its (S6)(H)(1)(T) together, fo real.:mad:, and so thats my story.

Ladies and gentlemen the REAL reason why M104 gets high ridership!!!!!!!!!!! and the reason why manhattan duplicates do well

Basically the BXM2's ridership base on weekends= fustrated former (1) riders don't blame em either I would take the bus too if my line got screwed so often up so often

Ladies and gentlemen the REAL reason why M104 gets high ridership!!!!!!!!!!! and the reason why manhattan duplicates do well

Basically the BXM2's ridership base on weekends= fustrated former (1) riders don't blame em either I would take the bus too if my line (F)(u)(C)(K)(E)(D) up so often

I avoid he 7th Ave line like the plague. A complete disaster. I'd rather take the bus quite frankly.

Sometimes information posted regarding reroutes can be confusing. Yes that's understandable, especially on station layouts as 34 Street on the 7th and 8th Avenue Lines, where you have to know which platform to be on before waiting to catch a ride on the corresponding train.

However I'll add this:

People complain about this G.O. stuff very frequently. Best way to deal with it is plan ahead of time so you wouldn't have this problem. I feel like some passengers aren't informed of construction projects too well because they don't bother reading those planned service changes posters in stations or the notices on the internet beforehand. They seem rather ignorant to them and I think that's where they're at fault as well.

Sometimes information posted regarding reroutes can be confusing. Yes that's understandable, especially on station layouts as 34 Street on the 7th and 8th Avenue Lines, where you have to know which platform to be on before waiting to catch a ride on the corresponding train.

However I'll add this:

People complain about this G.O. stuff very frequently. Best way to deal with it is plan ahead of time so you wouldn't have this problem. I feel like some passengers aren't informed of construction projects too well because they don't bother reading those planned service changes posters in stations or the notices on the internet beforehand. They seem rather ignorant to them and I think that's where they're at fault as well.

Oh please BS. I have the same problem and I READ the signs. The problem is the information posted is INCORRECT and it's been going on during the weekends on the 7th Ave line for years since this trackwork, etc. has been going on. Stop making excuses for the (MTA) already. Yes, some passengers do screw up and don't read, but the (MTA) doesn't make things better and certainly doesn't make things better for those who do read the signs, which leaves everybody confused.

Oh please BS. I have the same problem and I READ the signs. The problem is the information posted is INCORRECT and it's been going on during the weekends on the 7th Ave line for years since this trackwork, etc. has been going on.

Okay so the information is incorrect, now what do you do? I'm sure there's knowledgeable people working the G.O.s like platform personnel who can direct you to the correct platform to catch your train.

As for the Shuttle busing, they must run some buses frequently, no? Now the ride is expected to take longer than a normal subway ride (of course buses don't run like subways, you know that already)

That's all I'll say for now.

Oh please BS. I have the same problem and I READ the signs. The problem is the information posted is INCORRECT and it's been going on during the weekends on the 7th Ave line for years since this trackwork, etc. has been going on. Stop making excuses for the (MTA) already. Yes, some passengers do screw up and don't read, but the (MTA) doesn't make things better and certainly doesn't make things better for those who do read the signs, which leaves everybody confused.

Being fair guys, part of the reason why many weekends, the (1) is not running to/from South Ferry is of course the buliding of the new WTC Freedom Towers.

With that said, both VG8 and Pelham Local do have a good point. The (MTA) workers do leave GO signs that are 'incorrect' or outdated. Or sometimes they are forgot for w/e the reason. The agency heads really needs to do a better job at times on better communcation through using countdown clocks to make clear announcement and updates for that weekends/weekday overnight work.

MTA officals also forget every weekend tourists from all over the US and internationally use the subway as well.

Also at the same time, some veteran NYC riders are also need to use the mta website and pay attention to station signs (assuming they correct)and announcements as well.

In other words, no one is without being blameless either.:eek:

sigh...........

When ever theres a General Order coming up, the MTA always tells people, PLEASE PLAN AHEAD. And a LOT of people in the city just DON'T. You have people who asks, which line is this, what alternative I have to this G/O, etc. There are tons of signs back and forth telling everyone where to go. There are even WORKERS around in most major spots telling people what to do, since most folks are to damn lazy to read anything... SMH

If there is a problem, ALTERNATIVE. The IND 8th Avenue Line is the alternative to IRT Broadway Line............. For the (1)(2)(3) G/O.

Also there were SIGNS posted to where the (1) would stop. DOWNTOWN Express Platform.. If its soooooooooooooooooooooo confusing, then you or the other people complaining (which i saw a few), should of taken a Bronx Bound (2)/(3) on the Local platform and take it to 42nd St for your (1).

Again, people need to Plan ahead. People want the system fixed up, improved and etc, yet the same people complaint about construction and reroute. People need to make up there mind sheeh........

Being fair guys, part of the reason why many weekends, the (1) is not running to/from South Ferry is of course the buliding of the new WTC Freedom Towers.

Besides this, there doing track work around 14th Street. Otherwise the (1) would of ended at 14th Southbound Platform.

This isn't anywhere close to as bad some of the stories I've heard about brooklyn what with people having to travel all the way to Coney Island before they could get a manhattan bound train. Honestly it was a little confusion for you and a couple stairs to climb. Quit the needless rage.

Oh yeah, when the (D)s and (N)s are running on the same tracks... myself and another employee got to the Learning Center late because of one of those G.O.s The instructor said he was going to send home anyone who showed up late with Dunkin Donuts coffee! lol

ITT: People that think they're better than others because they don't use the subway/ran into portions of the subway that were under construction and complained when they got lost

Oh here we go... FYI I never got "lost" in the subway.... I've used every line in the system and have used the subway for years when I lived in Brooklyn, so please stop with the I think I'm better nonsense. There's a difference between being lost and being given the wrong information. The same guy that has a love obsession with the (MTA) running LI Bus... :) lol

sigh...........

When ever theres a General Order coming up, the MTA always tells people, PLEASE PLAN AHEAD. And a LOT of people in the city just DON'T. You have people who asks, which line is this, what alternative I have to this G/O, etc. There are tons of signs back and forth telling everyone where to go. There are even WORKERS around in most major spots telling people what to do, since most folks are to damn lazy to read anything... SMH

If there is a problem, ALTERNATIVE. The IND 8th Avenue Line is the alternative to IRT Broadway Line............. For the (1)(2)(3) G/O.

Also there were SIGNS posted to where the (1) would stop. DOWNTOWN Express Platform.. If its soooooooooooooooooooooo confusing, then you or the other people complaining (which i saw a few), should of taken a Bronx Bound (2)/(3) on the Local platform and take it to 42nd St for your (1).

Again, people need to Plan ahead. People want the system fixed up, improved and etc, yet the same people complaint about construction and reroute. People need to make up there mind sheeh........

Besides this, there doing track work around 14th Street. Otherwise the (1) would of ended at 14th Southbound Platform.

It's true that some people don't read, BUT that doesn't excuse how often wrong information is given, esp. on that line. Of course the (MTA) is never wrong in some people's eyes.

Okay so the information is incorrect, now what do you do? I'm sure there's knowledgeable people working the G.O.s like platform personnel who can direct you to the correct platform to catch your train.

As for the Shuttle busing, they must run some buses frequently, no? Now the ride is expected to take longer than a normal subway ride (of course buses don't run like subways, you know that already)

That's all I'll say for now.

You use common sense. That still doesn't excuse how often the information is wrong. That's the point. I just hate the constant excuses when the (MTA) screws up. We should always be patient, always leave more and more and more and MORE time to get to our destination... Always what WE should do never what the (MTA) should do to make our commutes better when we're the paying passengers. For once it would be nice if people admit when the (MTA) ***** up and needs to do better and not just when it's an obvious screw up that can't be twisted in their favor. That's all I'm saying. It's not always the passengers' fault or is it ALWAYS the passengers' fault accept for when it's one of you guys that gets screwed?? As for the shuttles my point was that on that line you usually have people that have to make several transfers if they live on Staten Island. If you take the ferry, you are more than likely making at least three transfers so you already have a long commute. If there's going to be trackwork or whatever, they can at least try to schedule the shuttles to meet the subway and then leave once they've loaded rather than sitting around for 10 minutes or more and then crawling over to the ferry, which can easily make that portion of the commute 30 minutes alone, let alone the train ride to get to the shuttle, which is just insane. All of the construction work and missed connections can make a 1.5 hr commute a 2.5 hr commute easily and then some one way.

Now some will argue, well take a taxi or drive, and that's exactly what some people do. I myself use car service or the express bus to speed up my commute, but there are some people who can't afford that and they deserve a reasonable commute as well for their money. Sometimes the nonsense I hear makes our transportation system sound like we're living in a third world country rather than the U.S. which is quite disgusting.

This is the exact reason why I HATE the design of, this station, it's 8 ave sister & Atlantic Ave! :mad:

Always what WE should do never what the (MTA) should do to make our commutes better when we're the paying passengers.

It's not always the passengers' fault or is it ALWAYS the passengers' fault accept for when it's one of you guys that gets screwed?? As for the shuttles my point was that on that line you usually have people that have to make several transfers if they live on Staten Island. If you take the ferry, you are more than likely making at least three transfers so you already have a long commute. If there's going to be trackwork or whatever, they can at least try to schedule the shuttles to meet the subway and then leave once they've loaded rather than sitting around for 10 minutes or more and then crawling over to the ferry, which can easily make that portion of the commute 30 minutes alone, let alone the train ride to get to the shuttle, which is just insane. All of the construction work and missed connections can make a 1.5 hr commute a 2.5 hr commute easily and then some one way.

Sometimes the nonsense I hear makes our transportation system sound like we're living in a third world country rather than the U.S. which is quite disgusting.

I don't think I implied that it's the passengers fault all the time. I agree with you that sometimes information given out regarding construction reroutes and where to go to catch your corresponding subway line or shuttle buses can be very confusing. Especially Shuttle buses where sometimes they point at the wrong direction.

Anywho, shuttle buses, like all buses are subject to road traffic, example, traffic lights, so you can't expect that to be just as quick as the subway, right? Sure I'd like shuttle buses to be as fast too, you know, but I'm not expecting a quick ride (from the example you brought up) let's say Chambers Street to South Ferry on the (1) Train bus. You know you could get the (4)(5) or the (R) to go to South Ferry instead if you don't like Shuttle bus.

(MTA) New York's system like a Third World Country? Are you kidding me? At least the subways run 24/7 unlike most rapid transit agencies around the world. I don't know about you, but would you rather live in a transportation system with 24/7 service with construction at some points during the week or would you like to live in a transportation system that's shut down overnight where construction takes place in non-service hours so you can commute without having to deal with these General Order Construction Reroutes?

I'm not bashing you or anything or making an attempt to, I'm just saying.

Hey i got an Idea!..

Get a Job In Operations and Planning and "see" if you can change things! :)

Still good points in this thread...

Oh and BTW you folks should be glad you got Service 24 hrs a day lots of cities do not have this...

I been to Dozens of Cities and THIER systems are worst much worse than this one, and more expensive yet people dont complain they adapt.

Two bucks and change to go from 241 St to Far Rockaway or Rock Park???

Think about...

Guest lance25
You use common sense. That still doesn't excuse how often the information is wrong. That's the point. I just hate the constant excuses when the (MTA) screws up. We should always be patient, always leave more and more and more and MORE time to get to our destination... Always what WE should do never what the (MTA) should do to make our commutes better when we're the paying passengers. For once it would be nice if people admit when the (MTA) ***** up and needs to do better and not just when it's an obvious screw up that can't be twisted in their favor. That's all I'm saying. It's not always the passengers' fault or is it ALWAYS the passengers' fault accept for when it's one of you guys that gets screwed?? As for the shuttles my point was that on that line you usually have people that have to make several transfers if they live on Staten Island. If you take the ferry, you are more than likely making at least three transfers so you already have a long commute. If there's going to be trackwork or whatever, they can at least try to schedule the shuttles to meet the subway and then leave once they've loaded rather than sitting around for 10 minutes or more and then crawling over to the ferry, which can easily make that portion of the commute 30 minutes alone, let alone the train ride to get to the shuttle, which is just insane. All of the construction work and missed connections can make a 1.5 hr commute a 2.5 hr commute easily and then some one way.

Now some will argue, well take a taxi or drive, and that's exactly what some people do. I myself use car service or the express bus to speed up my commute, but there are some people who can't afford that and they deserve a reasonable commute as well for their money. Sometimes the nonsense I hear makes our transportation system sound like we're living in a third world country rather than the U.S. which is quite disgusting.

Sure, the (MTA) can and should run the shuttle buses more efficiently and notices about precisely where the trains are terminating and the whatnot should be easily visible. However, it does not change the fact that construction work will have to be done. It's unfortunate that sometimes you might miss your connection and have to wait longer to get to your destination, but the (MTA) does not have power over every aspect of transportation in New York. They don't control the Ferry, nor do they control the traffic in which the shuttle buses have to contend with.

They also don't control what goes on above the subway tracks. You mentioned the almost constant (1) line service disruptions in lower Manhattan, but as Shortline Bus has stated, the Port Authority is building One World Trade above the subway tracks and when they're doing construction near said tracks, the (MTA) can't run trains down there safely.

I see you've also mentioned that you missed your ferry at times because of this. Again, the (MTA) doesn't run the ferry. It's not their fault it runs at one-hour intervals or isn't timed to the shuttle buses. You should probably take your gripes to the DOT since they're running the ferry at their normal timetable when the subway isn't. As to why the buses sit there for a while, I think it's to maximize the amount of passengers on it, but I could be entirely wrong. That's a question that probably could be better answered by the bus ops. Perhaps you should post that question over there.

Just dropping my 2 cents. Also contrary to "popular" belief, I'm not blindly defending the (MTA); it's just a defense against the things that aren't entirely their fault.

Hey i got an Idea!..

Get a Job In Operations and Planning and "see" if you can change things! :)

Still good points in this thread...

Oh and BTW you folks should be glad you got Service 24 hrs a day lots of cities do not have this...

I been to Dozens of Cities and THIER systems are worst much worse than this one, and more expensive yet people dont complain they adapt.

Two bucks and change to go from 241 St to Far Rockaway or Rock Park???

Think about...

And why shouldn't it be 24/7.... We're the best city in the world and folks expect us to set the standard, and our transit system should match that and we should expect quality, not mediocracy. I for one believe the (MTA) can do better. Quite frankly I was shocked when they launched the new website. A step in the right direction yes... Improvements needed?? No question. For example, I wrote in and told them that their detours (i.e. for buses) need to be more detailed. They apparently agreed and made that correction I see.

I don't think I implied that it's the passengers fault all the time. I agree with you that sometimes information given out regarding construction reroutes and where to go to catch your corresponding subway line or shuttle buses can be very confusing. Especially Shuttle buses where sometimes they point at the wrong direction.

Anywho, shuttle buses, like all buses are subject to road traffic, example, traffic lights, so you can't expect that to be just as quick as the subway, right? Sure I'd like shuttle buses to be as fast too, you know, but I'm not expecting a quick ride (from the example you brought up) let's say Chambers Street to South Ferry on the (1) Train bus. You know you could get the (4)(5) or the (R) to go to South Ferry instead if you don't like Shuttle bus.

(MTA) New York's system like a Third World Country? Are you kidding me? At least the subways run 24/7 unlike most rapid transit agencies around the world. I don't know about you, but would you rather live in a transportation system with 24/7 service with construction at some points during the week or would you like to live in a transportation system that's shut down overnight where construction takes place in non-service hours so you can commute without having to deal with these General Order Construction Reroutes?

I'm not bashing you or anything or making an attempt to, I'm just saying.

Yeah, well some here just about always side w/the (MTA) and are just a little bias and near sighted... That was my point.... You can think the (MTA) is cool, but still know when wrong is wrong (I'm speaking in general terms, not directly at you).

As for shuttle buses, yes they're not subways, but that still doesn't mean that you can't run them better. Once the bus is full there is no reason why a bus should sit there for 10+ minutes when the majority of those people are going to the ferry and already face a long commute just getting to Chambers Street in some cases let alone the ferry and the ride from the ferry. The (4)(5) isn't always an option either and it esp. wasn't when I was taking the 7th Ave line regularly to get to the ferry... And the (R)?? Are you kidding me??? That's the slowest train on earth! :( Everything about that train screams slow... The slow opening and closing of the doors, tons of local stops and the long waits just to get a train. Oh and they always seem to be scheduled where you just miss the ferry. As for me, not to worry, I dumped that set up years ago... Too many missed connections... The express bus is the way to go, esp. now with tracking. :cool:

Oh here we go... FYI I never got "lost" in the subway.... I've used every line in the system and have used the subway for years when I lived in Brooklyn, so please stop with the I think I'm better nonsense. There's a difference between being lost and being given the wrong information. The same guy that has a love obsession with the (MTA) running LI Bus... :) lol

It's true that some people don't read, BUT that doesn't excuse how often wrong information is given, esp. on that line. Of course the (MTA) is never wrong in some people's eyes.

And I fully support them cutting all this weekend/excess express bus service you just love pissing and moaning about. I walked up 5th Avenue one day last winter and counted about 11 air-carrying MCI's in about 5 minutes, both NYCT and MTA Bus. Don't give me the "they're express, so they cost more." As is, those MCIs cost more to run than one LIB route, so shove it. I always say you deserve it when your X24392340400 doesn't run so you can't get your organic milk.

And why shouldn't it be 24/7.... We're the best city in the world and folks expect us to set the standard, and our transit system should match that and we should expect quality, not mediocracy. I for one believe the MTA can do better.

Yes they can if you ask some, still they got to work with what they got. Its not always the case where things go wrong...

Now that being said...

Do you remember what it was like in the 70's 80's in the Subway???

Yes they can if you ask some, still they got to work with what they got. Its not always the case where things go wrong...

Now that being said...

Do you remember what it was like in the 70's 80's in the Subway???

lol... Vaguely... I wasn't born until 1981 my friend... When I did take the subway in the 80s it was always with my parents (usually my father). I remember taking the (A) train somewhere in the city near Times Sq and man that was frightening. I mean you're a little kid and at that time the city wasn't as "pretty" or safe as it is now, so yeah, I vaguely remember how bad the system was. lol

lol... Vaguely... I wasn't born until 1981 my friend... When I did take the subway in the 80s it was always with my parents (usually my father). I remember taking the (A) train somewhere in the city near Times Sq and man that was frightening. I mean you're a little kid and at that time the city wasn't as "pretty" or safe as it is now, so yeah, I vaguely remember how bad the system was. lol

Yeah it was bad and you know what??

People didnt like it then but they still got around and did what they had to do.

I got around its much better now than it was back then...

See my Point?

Man VG8. I was born in the early 1970's. So yes i do remember some of the 'glory days' of the (MTA) in which you probably would have went insane(no pun intended)of the crap they occured due to lack of GO's.

Lets see. Broken down trains/derailments, trains that rocked and roll(due to unsmooth tracks) graffti filled cars and even seats thus lead to endless delays on trains. I am in no way defending the (MTA) but the alternative is to go back to the late 1970's/early '80s. Here two videos VG8 and not born before 1985 should look at to look at the old MTA.

1)"All in the Family"(aka Archie Bunker show) The Bunkers get stuck on a broken down (5) train.

All In The Family - Mike, the Pacifist - YouTube

2)Grandmaster Flash the message

Archived