R188 In Corona Yard

R33WF

The R188s have Alstom.

WHAT?!?! aaarrrgh I HOPE that is not true. Try sitting on an R160 (J) local from Jamaica Center to Broad St w/o getting a headache from that propulsion!

Then again, most likely they won't have Ad-Tranz Propulsion (or whatever the R142A's have) since I don't think they make it anymore (correct me if i'm wrong).

The R188s have Alstom.

source? cause according to the contract, the 188s were to be a) the installation of cbtc equipment and b)extra cars to fill full service on the flushing line and to make 11-car trainsets according to 142a specs with cbtc. There was no mention of new ends, propulsion, FINDs,or new door motors.

New contract numbers does not always mean all new trains with new features and looks. perfect examples (heres an opportunity to do your research homework): r11/r34, and the IRT redbirds.

The first set is on the property. We've seen pics of the inside and outside. we've had very credible members give us the info. Why still the speculations of what we've already known. Heres a recap in faq form:

What does it look like? An R142A but with cbtc

What do they sound like? An R142A but with cbtc

What propulsion does it have? Same as an R142A with cbtc

Do they have FINDs? No

And the question to answer all of the above in a nutshell:

Whats the difference between the R188 and the R142A? CBTC and an eleventh car.

on a final note, lets all, including me, try to get use to calling these cars R188s. once cbtc got installed, they became 188s. they dont have to be built new. read the plate on the consoles: "R188"

CORRECTION. I HAVE HEARD and HAVE SEEN the R188s have alstom propulsion. I can remember seeing in a picture of the R188 cab had ALSTOM clearly written on it. My eyes may have deceived me, I am unsure. I am sorry for sparking up what may have been a rumor.

if it has Alstom propulsion, then the equipment under the car will say Alstom ONIX. the plate on the console means Alstom provided the console and cbtc equipment. Internally, companys that provide equipment and components are refered to as "vendors". A railcar can have many plates from different companies on it to show who provided what. But as i stated, the 188 contract did not state a new propulsion system.

He does have a point, people.... Why resurrect a model of propulsion that has been out of production for 8-9 years? As I posted in the other R188 thread, it makes more logical sense to insert motorless C cars into the conversion sets and equip the new 11 car sets with propulsion that is compatible and interchangeable with the propulsion used in the the R160's. It would be nice if the new R188's had something other than Alstom motors, but as it is, it is the most economical choice for the MTA to make.

But yes, we will not know for sure until we receive official confirmation, either from a video, image, or employees in the MTA itself.

The C cars will have motors just like the A cars have just minus the cabs. I hope they sound the same as R-142As I can't stand that other crappy noise the other cars make. UGH.

Personally, updated bombardier (Mitrac, on the 2009 stock in london) would be nice on the completely new sets, or even mitsubishi (like they have in china, hk, and japan) but that's probably not going to happen...

Archived