do any of you guys do this?

natureboy

First people wanted the M to run on the weekends, and now the B. What's next? Is it the C?

That last part was a fail....

Anyway, as a brighton rider, I actually don't want the B to run on weekends.... local service is sufficient....

--------------

As far as the OP.... with subways, I make my trips as straight-forward as possible... not necessarily "trying" to find the most efficient & quickest trip possible... then again, knowing the system, you really don't have to try; it's 2nd nature.....

With buses though, to be honest, as of late I've been doing the exact opposite.... taking as many buses as I feel like to get to a certain destination, if I have time to kill.... Hell, did it today as a matter of fact coming from chinatown; walk over the bridge, full B25 (from DUMBO), B12 from b'way jnctn. to albany/clarkson, then short walk home... aint feel like being bothered w/ the subway coming back home....

If you're not going to take the (A) to Broadway Junction to catch the Manhattan bound (J) towards Williamsburg, I would recommend catching the Williamsburg bound buses (B44) or (B46) at either the Utica Ave station or Nostrand Ave Station. Unless you are really worried about the area of course.

I've seen Nostrand Avenue in that area from the Long Island Railroad, its no place I want to be walking around. I'm quite happy taking a little bit of extra time and not having to get out in those areas.

When I went to get photos of the eastern end of the (A) for my site, I took the (E) from Jamaica to Kew Gardens and caught the Q10 down towards Lefferts Blvd station, again to avoid Broadway Junction.

I cant imagine what East New York station must be like down there at night, its already dark and creepy in the daytime.

From what my uncle, father, and mother used to tell me, that general area used to be a spot for prostitution back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's....

Don't know (and don't wanna know either) what it's currently like around there @ night....

Hell, during the daytime, you tend to have undesirables roaming around b/w the LIRR station & the subway station (inclusive)....

LIRR ENY has to be the ugliest, dingiest, unsafe station locale in all of the greater NYC area....

From what my uncle, father, and mother used to tell me, that general area used to be a spot for prostitution back in the 60's, 70's, and 80's....

Don't know (and don't wanna know either) what it's currently like around there @ night....

Hell, during the daytime, you tend to have undesirables roaming around b/w the LIRR station & the subway station (inclusive)....

LIRR ENY has to be the ugliest, dingiest, unsafe station locale in all of the greater NYC area....

it is THE worst station on the entire LIRR, I would rather wander around Hempstead, Bellport, or Wyandanch stations before ill step foot outside the train at ENY station.

When I go from point A to point B using the subways/buses, I always try to find the most efficient and quickest way to get there. Sometimes this would involve exiting a station and walking over to another nearby subway station in order to continue my trip (however, you would need to use another fare as it is not technically a transfer)

Here is an example:

If I needed to get from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to Greenpoint, Brooklyn (assuming this is weekday rush hour)

I would take the (R) from Bay Ridge, transfer to a connecting express (D) or (N),get off and exit the Pacific St station, walk a few blocks over to the (G) Fulton St station ( instead of transferring at 4th Ave-9th st or transferring at Jay St Metrotech station) and continue my trip. I feel this is much faster than actually transferring to the (G) at a connecting stop.

I have an unlimited metrocard so it makes it a lot easier to do this versus if you had a pay per ride card.

Do any of you do this as well?

I do it all the time

First people wanted the (M) to run on the weekends, and now the (:). What's next? Is it the (C)?

I know... How dare us want sufficient service. B)

it is THE worst station on the entire LIRR, I would rather wander around Hempstead, Bellport, or Wyandanch stations before ill step foot outside the train at ENY station.

I think I had to transfer there years ago and yeah it was eery... My connection was there thank God, so I hauled @ss to the connection and got out of there.

....it is THE worst station on the entire LIRR

greater NYC area = tri state area....

You're basically rephrasing what I said.... so yeah, agreed.

What's wrong with these areas?

- LIRR Hempstead is riddled with undesirables... no matter what time of day it is...

- LIRR Wyandanch you gotta watch out for shady characters (same w/ Brentwood, which is one stop away).... druggies & thieves mainly.... Wyandanch isn't as bad during the day, though....

Don't know what the deal is w/ Bellport.....

I think I had to transfer there years ago and yeah it was eery...

My connection was there thank God, so I hauled @ss to the connection and got out of there.

lol.... but why would you have to transfer @ LIRR ENY ?

One time I got off the LIRR Nostrand station to get the B44. This was rather than to go all the way to FB and cut out the (2) entirely. Big mistake, not only was the area shady, but that bus ride was slow as hell and crowded. Taking the subway was worth it over the B44 from Atlantic to the junction.

They sometimes have a MTA police car stationed @ the ENY LIRR station.

And a few years ago I remember seeing the regular NYPD down there trying to catch drunk drivers lol.

That area around the Nostrand Ave LIRR is safe, well during the day and early evening, its basically stores around there and Atlantic Ave is bustling with traffic.. The (A) is a short two block walk.

I kinda like the Nostrand Ave station as it sorta has a "Light Rail" feel to it, esp since they now have NYCT style signage at that station. If LR was ever built in NYC with its own ROW, it would most likely look slimar to that station but with low level platforms and SBS machines. I never actually used the station, but I frequent the area a lot when I take the (A) to the B44 home.

And I agree with GC about the B44 being slow on that portion of the route, but I still like to ride it for some reason lol. Its better after Church Ave though. both with the speed and not as crowded.

They sometimes have a MTA police car stationed @ the ENY LIRR station.

They used to have that NYPD lookout tower (or w/e you call that high monstrosity) over there too.... Then they moved it over there around fulton/malcolm X... Who knows where they got that thing situated at now....

Its (the B44) better after Church Ave though. both with the speed and not as crowded.

heh.... too bad I'd have to get off at exactly at church....

But yes, you're right in that, the SB B44 does pick up speed south of church.... Can't agree w/ the not as crowded part though.... There's almost always a crowd of folks @ the church av stop - and some of em be folks coming up from the subway too !

One time I got off the LIRR Nostrand station to get the B44. This was rather than to go all the way to FB and cut out the (2) entirely.

Big mistake, not only was the area shady, but that bus ride was slow as hell and crowded. Taking the subway was worth it over the B44 from Atlantic to the junction.

The shadiness didn't bother me, as much as what I'm about to explain.....

I used to do what you're describing also (for the same exact reason too !), until I (also) realized how slow the SB B44 gets south of Fulton.... I know you're further down the line, so I can imagine how much more unbearable it is for you B).... but for me, even w/ the LTD's, it'd take almost 20 mins. just to get to church....

What I ended up doing as an alternative was, walking over to the 49 instead....

Not for nothin, but I miss that commute I used to have to take to/from Stony Brook....

Yeah. Problem is how narrow the road is. I feel that any bus route roads should always have at least 2 lanes per direction, that or they occupy two different streets so that there are multiple lanes because of the usual double parked cars, slow drivers.

Yeah, I probably would've tried that as well on walking over to the B49 and take the B9 back (but i wasn't familiar with the area and probably thought of the bus thing as a one off). I would bet the B49 would beat the B44 limited easily.

Interesting. I went to SB, but hated the place, I was never much a social person and hated living on campus. I would leave for home on the weekends and tried to get Mon-Thurs classes. After a couple of years I left and went to a CUNY.

Interesting. I went to SB, but hated the place, I was never much a social person and hated living on campus. I would leave for home on the weekends and tried to get Mon-Thurs classes. After a couple of years I left and went to a CUNY.

I didn't attend school there, I had to go there for a project/assignment....

When I go from point A to point B using the subways/buses, I always try to find the most efficient and quickest way to get there. Sometimes this would involve exiting a station and walking over to another nearby subway station in order to continue my trip (however, you would need to use another fare as it is not technically a transfer)

Here is an example:

If I needed to get from Bay Ridge, Brooklyn to Greenpoint, Brooklyn (assuming this is weekday rush hour)

I would take the (R) from Bay Ridge, transfer to a connecting express (D) or (N),get off and exit the Pacific St station, walk a few blocks over to the (G) Fulton St station ( instead of transferring at 4th Ave-9th st or transferring at Jay St Metrotech station) and continue my trip. I feel this is much faster than actually transferring to the (G) at a connecting stop.

I have an unlimited metrocard so it makes it a lot easier to do this versus if you had a pay per ride card.

Do any of you do this as well?

Not the quickest way but I would just take the R to 23rd and Ely station and transfer to the G or take B62 bus.

Due to something may go wrong with the train or bus, this way I am close to Greenpoint if I have to walk it.

S/F,

CEYA!

lol.... but why would you have to transfer @ LIRR ENY ?

This was back in 2004 I believe and for some reason I had to take a subway somewhere to Canarsie, but I believe it was related to a funeral preparation. I had never been before and had never been in ENY for that matter, but being born and raised in Brooklyn I'm street smart enough to know when an area isn't sketchy. You just know when you feel like a fish out of water.

Archived