Question about the N & R

TriboroughBridge

This is a fantasy question about the (N) & (R) & let's say south of Canal St (R), the tracks split to 4 tracks with 2 island platform (as if an express station) & the Manhattan Bridge tracks would rise between these 2 tracks & the trains would go to their respective tracks.

Which would make more sense, to have the (N) run local in Brooklyn, via lower Manhattan & express in Manhattan, & have the (R) run express in Brooklyn, run via the Manhattan Bridge & local in Manhattan?

Or, the (N) express in Brooklyn, via Manhattan Bridge & local in Manhattan, & have the (R) run local in Brooklyn & express in Manhattan?

The (W) isn't even needed in Brooklyn, just a handful of more ®'s in the fringes and during rush hour would suffice. For those who are about to ask me about the packed trains at Pacific, every time I operated the (R) and I was on time to Pacific, my train wasn't packed, and the platform wasn't packed (or at 36/59).

Having a second service on the West End (for no other reason than there used to be two) has created OTP problems with the (D), which indeed can handle it alone (when its on time).

Please, the (R) is the most unreliable line in the whole system. I have seen up to 3 pass in one direction while I wait twenty minutes for one in the other direction.

TwoTimer: When the train is on time, you will get the best conditions. Thanks for saying on time.

The (W) isn't even needed in Brooklyn, just a handful of more ®'s in the fringes and during rush hour would suffice. For those who are about to ask me about the packed trains at Pacific, every time I operated the (R) and I was on time to Pacific, my train wasn't packed, and the platform wasn't packed (or at 36/59).

Having a second service on the West End (for no other reason than there used to be two) has created OTP problems with the (D), which indeed can handle it alone (when its on time).

Yeah, I had to take the (R) a lot this past summer and other than the time the (2)(3)(4)(5) were suspended, I can't recall any instance of the trains being packed. More service would definitely be nice to cut down on the wait time, but it isn't completely necessary.

This was at the tail end of rush hour (around 09:00 or so in Lower Manhattan), but I can't imagine the trains being too crowded even in the heart of rush hour. The (N) gets pretty crowded, and the (D) does to a lesser extent, but I think that's more because they're express rather than anything to do with the lack of the (Mx) or a second service along the West End Line.

I have a question about the (R), why does it always seem to CRAWL everywhere . Is it the rolling stock, or did the BMT just suck with tunnels and turning radii?

On Weekends, when I go to Manhattan, I take whatever comes first when I transfer from (7).

(R) train run smooth and quick along Queens Blvd or 60th St Tunnel.

To answer the (R) question... its a combination of everything actually.

R46, its main rolling stock, is the slowest thing running on the QBL. So it looks very slow when everything around it is R160 (E)(F)(M). Sometimes its sad when I'm on the (R) on a weekday every now and again and I leave right behind a (M) at 71st. By time I get to Roosevelt, I can no longer see taillights or any signal sign that the (M) is up there (assuming a decent train operator on that train too), and I operate aggressive (sometimes two minutes early at Queens Plaza).

When it gets to Manhattan, same rolling stock problem (only R160 coming out of Astoria), but now throw in tunnel and track configuration. There are some SLOW speed limits on the local track entering stations, which makes (R) trains crawl into them at times, while the express tracks are straight. Here is a list of speed limits going south:

57-7: 18mph entering, 16mph leaving.

42-TSq: no posted speed limit, track config says about 20mph entering.

34-HSq: 15mph entering (popular radar gun spot).

14st-USq: 25mph entering.

Prince St: New timer inside the station, clears at 15mph.

City Hall: Timers slow entry to 15mph.

- We all know about the S curve into Cortlant -

Timer into Rector, clears at 14mph.

Timer before Whitehall, clears at 14mph, then 15mph entering station.

- We all know about the S curve between Court and Jay St -

- 13mph timer into Dekalb around the curve, then creep 15-18mph all the way into Pacific, with another timer that clears at 15mph in the middle of the station.

Yes all of that was just one direction, most of these same restrictions also exist northbound. Throw in a (N) in front of the (R) occassionally. Things pick up a bit after Pacific as the (R) is by itself on straight track (except at 36/59 which are also 15mph entering/leaving). Most of these spots have been hot spots with that radar gun as well.

Waiting for (R) at Stations might be longer, but riding o (R) is quick.

It's same reason with waiting for (:P or (C). Once you get on it's quick.

15mph entering Pacific street on that bend in the rail, enforced by timer this time around. Clears at 12-13mph. 15mph leaving, enforced by timer a few hundred feet into the tunnel.

Archived