Question about tunnel lighting

mark1447

So now all of 6th Ave. proper is done (except for the sections previously receiving CFL'S), though there are still sections that are dark (the bulbs are in, but they're not on. Usually one side of the tunnel, and on both sides on B1 between 14th and W4, which was the second section to get them).

• 5 weeks later...

CFL I'm gonna miss.

TBH, the MTA is flip flopping with these light changes. I'm guessing they are keeping the current CFL but disabling them.

The Clark Street tubes were set for CFL, then LED, then CFL and again CFLs. Concourse Tubes also have the CFLs activated.

Makes me wonder if we will go 100% CFLs soon.

CFL I'm gonna miss.

TBH, the MTA is flip flopping with these light changes. I'm guessing they are keeping the current CFL but disabling them.

The Clark Street tubes were set for CFL, then LED, then CFL and again CFLs. Concourse Tubes also have the CFLs activated.

they have planned that from 36 street to Roosevelt Ave. of the QBL will get CFLs.

Because LED is the next phase after CFL. Just like CFL was the replacement for incandescent. Cooler, less wattage, etc.

hmm reasonable. and after all LEDs last up to 30 years as i read.and use up to 80% less energy,light up much brighter. i like CFLs tho

although in the 80s it seems they attempted to put fluorescent rod lighting(like found on the Archer Ave Line)

because the Eastern Pkwy Line has it.

CFL I'm gonna miss.

Concourse got the new fixtures in the 90's when they were originally mercury's. I've never seen them go to LED and then back to CFL. It might have been a test. (like the very first CFL's, which looked like the ole "Earth Light" bulbs, went in on the Fulton bear Lafayette. Then, more were tested on the Lex, near 59th, and in the same stretch they had previously tested low pressure sodium and high pressure sodium! All of this was of course removed, when they decided on the current CFL's.

they have planned that from 36 street to Roosevelt Ave. of the QBL will get CFLs.

So you're saying they still going to install CFL's in places? Doesn't make sense to me. Perhaps they planned to, but now they have apparently seemed to go with LED. Just like when they were installing mercurys, but then changed it over to the CFL's, in the same fixtures.

For one, thing, the CFL's used new fixtures (the same ones originally made for mercury's). The LED's go in the old fixtures (which seems to be why some still aren't on, in those stretches I mentioned on 6th Av.).

Concourse got the new fixtures in the 90's when they were originally mercury's. I've never seen them go to LED and then back to CFL. It might have been a test. (like the very first CFL's, which looked like the ole "Earth Light" bulbs, went in on the Fulton bear Lafayette. Then, more were tested on the Lex, near 59th, and in the same stretch they had previously tested low pressure sodium and high pressure sodium! All of this was of course removed, when they decided on the current CFL's.

CFL's on the Concourse Line are being replaced. LED lamps now occupy most of the Concourse Line tunnels from Tremont Ave to 145 St; I expect the rest to be replaced soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Cool! I saw one of those near 9th Av. back when the (M) was still going to Bay Pkwy. (Though this one he's holding looks bigger, I think).

(Of course, the one on the preview picture is not the LED, but rather the familiar old incandescent bank light).

• 3 weeks later...

OK, last night they did the southbound 5th Av-47/50 connection, which had already been done in CFL! So now, I've finally seen where they replaced the CFL's!

The LED bulbs don't stick out of the CFL fixtures like they did the old incandescent fixtures. So now, seeing the color from behind the fixture, it looks like the Appleton fixtures got their original mercury bulbs back!

I hope they do below W4 too, then; like how about through the whole Chrystie cut as well!

I doubt you will see places with tubes get LED bulbs since it would have to be done as an upgrade and not just a bulb replacement. You might how ever see LED tubes get installed, though they would be very bright.

Last night, they were installed on the 5th Av. bound track northbound, as I hoped! Only, they're still basically drowned out by the temporary CFL strings. I had thought they would remove those when all the lighting and signal work was done.

They also finally got the dark stretch between 23rd and 14th southbound, on, and I think the other ones as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Keep forgetting to mention, they turned off the temporary CFL strings north of 47/50. The more pure white in the newer fixtures (that the bulbs don't stick out of) looks nice.

The stretch right before that (42-47/50, northbound) is still almost completely dark, though.

Look forward to working the (C) Monday, to see how much of the uptown line was converted.

Many led's were installed on fast track and more are slated to be installed as they arrive on the property. When bulbs are ordered by the thousands a typical vendor and manafactur can be overwhelmed.

Archived