Question about tunnel lighting

mark1447

I notice on the IRT 7th & Lex Lines (South of 42nd Street), LED lighting appears. Are these the new permanent lighting or temporary?

Just wondering if the tunnel lights are gonna be similar to the bulbs used similar to north of 42nd Street and other lines that have them.

Since they were installed on the Lexington Avenue line I see them every day in my commute, and I do remember seeing one at Jay St - MetroTech. I haven't seen them on the Seventh Avenue line though.

Based on observation, I am assuming that they are replacements for those areas where they still have those dimly-lit lightbulbs. But they could also be a permanent replacement those compact fluorescent bulbs as well.

I was thinking of starting a topic on this, but wasn't sure if anyone would be interested. (I'm an avid LED fan, following the technology ever since the R110A came out, and then the missing blue was planned and developed, which is what allowed for white, and the rest of the full-color range).

They also just installed some last week on 6th Ave. between W4 and 14th. Northbound one day, and then southbound the next. The blue bulbs are also changed, and they are much more deeper color than the CFL's, and can be just as noticeable without being so glaringly bright. The first blue LED bulb, installed at 42/8 10 years ago, is still going strong! Gradually, they were tested other places along the 8th Ave. line, such as W4, and then around Euclid. White bulbs began appearing around Hoyt-Schermerhorn. I would look forward to the otherwise grueling holiday jobs on the (C) just to see those. More recently, I notice them all up and down the Lexington line.

All of these, so far, were cool white (5000K?), resembling in color the mercury vapors they had begun installing in different places 20 years ago before going with CFL in the late 90's.

These new ones on 6th are Warm White (the first I've seen down here), which is a color (35-4000K) inbetween cool white and soft [i.e. incandescent] white). These are a nice compromise. They still look nice and bright and crisp, like the cool white, but with less of the glare.

Thing is, on the 1940 and later IND, they began encasing the lights in full "cups", rather than just the little metal piece on one side, but the bulbs are bigger than regular bulbs, and stick out of the bottom. It still does not give off too much glare. (So they're being installed in existing fixtures, rather than the all new Appleton fixtures used for the mercurys and then the CFL's. Don't know why the CFL's couldn't have used the old fixtures. But this will save money).

So it looks like they're going with these. When it's just a test, you will only see it on one or two lines, in one small stretch. That's what we saw on Fulton. (Which seems to be the test bed for new lighting. CFL's were tested there as well, before they went with them). But now, they're really spreading.

Thing is, on the 1940 and later IND, they began encasing the lights in full "cups", rather than just the little metal piece on one side, but the bulbs are bigger than regular bulbs, and stick out of the bottom. It still does not give off too much glare. (So they're being installed in existing fixtures, rather than the all new Appleton fixtures used for the mercurys and then the CFL's. Don't know why the CFL's couldn't have used the old fixtures. But this will save money).

From what I have seen, those LED and CFL bulbs used in homes and office buildings often have issues with older fixtures and wiring. I am not sure why that is the case, since they are supposed to be compatible with fixtures in general, but it an be an issue in terms of the bulb not turning on properly or not reaching full lighting potential. Also I have experienced some of these bulbs exploding towards the end of their lives in the office I work at.

I don't know if that is why the MTA installed new fixtures originally, but it might be aprt of the reason. I knpw peoplealso have issues matching up the new bulbs with the correct amount of lumens they are used to, since that is a fairly unknown measure of light until now. These bulbs are all fine and dandy, but sure seem to cause a bunch of headaches. I guess that is the price of new technology. Glad they are working out on the subway, though.

LED bulbs are just now becoming really efficient, and reasonable in cost. I think (MTA) is moving rather quickly with it. (I was actually surprised).

You think they are doing to replace the other non-LED bulbs? The Ones used, some what like the BMT Broadway?

From what I have seen, those LED and CFL bulbs used in homes and office buildings often have issues with older fixtures and wiring. I am not sure why that is the case, since they are supposed to be compatible with fixtures in general, but it an be an issue in terms of the bulb not turning on properly or not reaching full lighting potential. Also I have experienced some of these bulbs exploding towards the end of their lives in the office I work at.
I have several LED bulbs, and the rest are CFL. I do know that in a ceiling fan fixture, for some reason both LED and CFL seem dimmer than they appear elsewhere. But I don;t have that problem elsewhere.

Which bulbs exploded? LED or CFL?

I don't know if that is why the MTA installed new fixtures originally, but it might be apart of the reason.

The new fixtures were originally for the ballasts required for the mercury bulbs. That's the box next to the socket. When they converted the mercurys to CFL, and then kept installing new CFL's, they kept using the new fixtures. CFL's have the ballasts in their own base. Unless these are special bulbs that don't have their own ballasts. OR maybe what you said, a ballast or something is used to fix whater issues CFL's might have had.

You think they are doing to replace the other non-LED bulbs? The Ones used, some what like the BMT Broadway?
They've invested so much in them, I don;t think they will replace the CFL's, at least for now.

I have several LED bulbs, and the rest are CFL. I do know that in a ceiling fan fixture, for some reason both LED and CFL seem dimmer than they appear elsewhere. But I don;t have that problem elsewhere.

Which bulbs exploded? LED or CFL?

The new fixtures were originally for the ballasts required for the mercury bulbs. That's the box next to the socket. When they converted the mercurys to CFL, and then kept installing new CFL's, they kept using the new fixtures. CFL's have the ballasts in their own base. Unless these are special bulbs that don't have their own ballasts. OR maybe what you said, a ballast or something is used to fix whater issues CFL's might have had.

They've invested so much in them, I don;t think they will replace the CFL's, at least for now.

We had 2 CFL bulbs explode in different overhead fixtures. You could actually see the cloud of mercury, glass shrapnel, and god knows what else come out of the bulb as it exploded. The maintenance guys tried to figure out what happened, but they were stumped. This happened a year or so ago. We have not issues since then. Except for when they replaced some bulbs on dimmer switches with CFl's not made for dimmers, so they would either turn on full brightness when you moved the dimmer halfway or were totally off. WE have not been so fond of the new bulbs, are you can imagine.

We got some LED bulbs recently and have had no problems. I am a much bigger fan of the LED's, especially since they come in shapes that look a lot more like incandescent blulbs, so they fit nicely into our existing fixtures. The too-tall twirly CFl's poking out of the top of the fancy fixtures in the lobby just looked ugly, frankly.

We had 2 CFL bulbs explode in different overhead fixtures. You could actually see the cloud of mercury, glass shrapnel, and god knows what else come out of the bulb as it exploded. The maintenance guys tried to figure out what happened, but they were stumped. This happened a year or so ago. We have not issues since then. Except for when they replaced some bulbs on dimmer switches with CFl's not made for dimmers, so they would either turn on full brightness when you moved the dimmer halfway or were totally off. WE have not been so fond of the new bulbs, are you can imagine.

We got some LED bulbs recently and have had no problems. I am a much bigger fan of the LED's, especially since they come in shapes that look a lot more like incandescent blulbs, so they fit nicely into our existing fixtures. The too-tall twirly CFl's poking out of the top of the fancy fixtures in the lobby just looked ugly, frankly.

LED is solid state, so it's much better. The glass could crack, and it would still work. They also seem to be making them dimmable, and CFL's are becoming so too, but it took longer.

LED bulbs have heat sinks (the fluted base, with only the top of the dome lit) in place of the CFL's ballasts, so they are still a bit bigger than the regular bulbs they are mimicking.

Forgot to mention, the color of the new bulbs on 6th ("warm white") is basically the old "lunar white" of signals, where they placed a regular incandescent bulb behind a slightly blue tinted lens to make it less yellowish. (Now, with cool white LED's, many of these are almost blue).

Oddly I was on the (2) this afternoon, in both directons in the IRT Clark tubes, the MTA replaced the CFL (Installed around 2009-2010) with the LED bulbs.

Makes me wonder if the (MTA) will replace the standard bulbs / CFLs with these.

Also, I noticed many times over the years north of 59th St on Lex M track there is also LED bulbs. How long have they've been there?

Oh, so if you've seen where they replaced CFL's with LED's, then maybe they will do that. :cool: (I know on 6th Ave. they replaced incandescents, in the same 1940 fixtures. The Lex, I'm not sure. I thought it had gone all CFL).

7Th Ave. line I haven't been on, so I didn't even know. They're really spreading, then! Wish they had waited in other places, with the CFL's. Like 6th Ave below W4 (including the Chrystie cut).

• 2 weeks later...

The new tunnel lighting on 6th has been extended both directions to 34th, on 8th below W4 and as of yesterday, to 42nd. on the southbound side and express tracks.

(If only they hadn't bum rushed 6th Ave. below W4, including both legs of Chrystie with CFL's; then those tunnels would be getting LED's too).

So apparently, part of the Fasttrack work is the new lighting. (Will see today if any new ones went on last night).

These are some really nice looking lights (the white and the blue).

The new tunnel lighting on 6th has been extended both directions to 34th, on 8th below W4 and as of yesterday, to 42nd. on the southbound side and express tracks.

(If only they hadn't bum rished 6th Ave. below W4, including both legs of Chrystie with CFL's; then those tunnels would be getting LED's too).

So apparently, part of the Fasttrack work is the new lighting. (Will see today if any new ones went on last night).

These are some really nice looking lights (the white and the blue).

I just saw them while riding the (M) uptown from 14th street, they're pretty nice, and different.

If I looked correctly, there are new lighting by Brooklyn Bridge on the (4)(5)(6) Lines...
Yes, but it starts north of the station only. (I had just ridden from Borough Hall to Brooklyn Bridge the other day, and was watching for where they would begin).

Yes, and there are places where they are installed, but not on yet. (Again, you can see the bulbs sticking out of the fixtures). One place is southbound, south of 14/6. That stretch was one of the first to go on, but the lights closer to 14th never came on for some reason, and it was probably all dark with the incandescents as well. Probably bad wiring somewhere, since these are the old fixtures.

Archived