NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

My one gripe with all this is that they actually increased the off-peak headways on the N32 from 30 to 40 minutes while only announcing the midday headways being slightly longer at 20 minutes, up from 15. It isn't consistent, either; it starts at 10:00 AM, then 10:40, then 11:20... it's goddamned annoying. I absolutely hate the N6 and how rides can either be smooth and quick or SRO + "Please do not stand in the rear door area" going off every 15 seconds + someone either getting off or on at every stop...

Edited by Joel Up Front

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every student who goes to MacArthur HS and Salk JHS doesn't live on the N73 route. I certainly didn't when I went to MacArthur. (I lived near Jerusalem Avenue.) I know the city has reduced transportation metrocards for students. But Levittown has a fleet of school buses to accomodate different school schedules and athletic events.

Here in NYC, they have variances, so if your walk to the local bus stop is too far, or if it's dangerous (either because of crime or because of a lack of sidewalks or something), they're supposed to give you variances. They could give variances to the 90% of kids who don't live near the N73/N74, and then make the 10% that live near those routes take the bus.

But then again, those routes only run once an hour (once every 30 minutes combined), so it might not be worth the hassle of trying to accomodate the students because the bus doesn't fit the school schedule.

Here in NYC, they have variances, so if your walk to the local bus stop is too far, or if it's dangerous (either because of crime or because of a lack of sidewalks or something), they're supposed to give you variances. They could give variances to the 90% of kids who don't live near the N73/N74, and then make the 10% that live near those routes take the bus.

But then again, those routes only run once an hour (once every 30 minutes combined), so it might not be worth the hassle of trying to accomodate the students because the bus doesn't fit the school schedule.

It wouldn't help me if I lived in Seaford. I'd have to take the N54/N55 to Wantagh Avenue and wait for the N73/N74. I haven't checked the schedules but I don't see making a connection between the lines a priority.

Today, I took 9:30 N20 Hicksville #1821 at Flushing-Main St and it got extreme crush loaded from all the way from rear to end.

When I announce there was no N21 Glen Clove, lots of passengers were not happy with it.

One Chinese lady caused chain reaction forcing this B/O to be very late.

Chain reactions continue on most along Sanford Av-Northern Blvd until Clearview Expressway.

It was very insane and it properly going to miss time transfer with N27 Glen Clove and Glen Clove passengers have to wait another 1-hour.

It was fully packed from rear end all the way to 10 people behind the white line!!

He was very late for his next run N79 to Walt Whitman Mall.

After I got lunch from MET, I went back to Flushing for 3:30pm N20 Hicksville once again and took to Great Neck, then took N20 Flushing to Bell Blvd for NY Class Horse Meeting.

After horse meeting at Bayside, I took shortcut via Pt. Washington Branch to Great Neck Station and took N20 back to Flushing.

After I got off N20 around 7:30pm, I went back to N20/N21 bus stop to help.

This time Spanish lady said, "ooh my god." when I told her she has to take this N20 to Glen Clove Rd for N27."

And she thought "N27 comes here?" LOL.

I spoke slowly and pointed with NICE Bus Map I gave to her to indicate where N27 meets N20 and she got message.

It was very crazy today.

Today, I took 9:30 N20 Hicksville #1821 at Flushing-Main St and it got extreme crush loaded from all the way from rear to end. One Chinese lady caused chain reaction forcing this B/O to be very late. Chain reactions continue on most along Sanford Av-Northern Blvd until Clearview Expressway. It was very insane and it properly going to miss time transfer with N27 Glen Clove and Glen Clove passengers have to wait another 1-hour.

He was very late for his next run N79 to Walt Whitman Mall.

I'm extremely skeptical that the N20 interlines with the N79. I posted the Saturday schedules for N20, N73, N79, and N24 and showed that the best interline combination was N73 and N79.

N81 the reason why it doesn't Work is INFREQUENT SERVICE it is a crosstown so it us too infrequent to attract ridership the N80 should be an express variant of N20 going non stop from hicksville to lakeville rd then great neck. In the future it may be able to go to LGA via cross island and 678 I know that part of cross island can support buses. But who knows

The reason why it doesn't work is because the residents of the areas it serves has virtually no use or desire to use the bus. And before you say that's why they should follow your plan, extending routes all over Nassau is not going to help that mindset at all.

My one gripe with all this is that they actually increased the off-peak headways on the N32 from 30 to 40 minutes while only announcing the midday headways being slightly longer at 20 minutes, up from 15. It isn't consistent, either; it starts at 10:00 AM, then 10:40, then 11:20... it's goddamned annoying. I absolutely hate the N6 and how rides can either be smooth and quick or SRO + "Please do not stand in the rear door area" going off every 15 seconds + someone either getting off or on at every stop...

Yes, the combined headway is every 20 mins. Each route runs every 40 mins for the main portion of the route, but the N31's north terminal is usually Lynbrook. So going to/from Hempstead is 40 mins. Also, the times you listed are consistent, "10:00 AM, then 10:40, then 11:20" are 40 min intervals. lol. Have you tried the N24 to N25 yet? How about N16-N4-N25? Is that what you tried that day you missed the N4 by the depot?

Today, I took 9:30 N20 Hicksville #1821 at Flushing-Main St and it got extreme crush loaded from all the way from rear to end.

When I announce there was no N21 Glen Clove, lots of passengers were not happy with it.

One Chinese lady caused chain reaction forcing this B/O to be very late.

Chain reactions continue on most along Sanford Av-Northern Blvd until Clearview Expressway.

It was very insane and it properly going to miss time transfer with N27 Glen Clove and Glen Clove passengers have to wait another 1-hour.

That's another goof, they timed the N20's to Hicksville to connect with the N27 instead of the N20's to CW Post.

Edited by N6 Limited

If I go any farther north than Hempstead Turnpike, it'll take me too long. Plus, judging from how packed N25s are when they get to NHP Road for the N6, I suppose it gets more riders the closer to Great Neck it gets. I don't live close enough to Lynbrook for me to even consider the 31, so I can't rely on the 31 popping up at the station to take me to the 25.

I tried the N16-N4-N25 route but what with the Hempstead short turns confusing me at the time, I started using the 32. Since 2010 all they've done is completely butcher the headways. It might save money, but I'm approaching that breaking point...

There's no loss of service on Old Country Road by extending the N24 to Hicksville and cutting back N78/N79. N23 and N27 are seen as duplicative north/south service so one was cut during the non rush.

NICE had to cut $7M. N73/N74 were cut back during the non rush to one bus per hour in each direction.

I know there is no loss of service but the n24 route's reliability is down. I literally saw every n24 delayed within a two hour timeframe, usually it's at least on time for one run per hour. And no incidents were reported on the line throughout for your information.

And the n23 and n27 is parallel but not duplicate, service reliability has gone down for both lines, I usually do the n27 - > n20 or n21 from the mall, now because the n23/n27 runs so poorly, I am taking the n22 back to Queens.

As for the $7 million, the n80/81/73 is running literally the load a conversion van can carry with seats still available during off-peak hours, if anyone tell me that's saving money, they must be on some kinda drug, the n74 could carry the load of these passengers. Stop thinking Veolia and Mineola is honest, they are screwing up ridership on the high ridership lines in the North Shore, you know why? Because Mangano and Schmitt doesn't live there! They don't give a crap about the people in the North Shore!

They don't care about bus riders, period. On Thursday waiting for that N32 I saw three Orion Vs signed up as training buses. One guy almost ran straight into the iron gates behind the shed near the northern side of the terminal. I'm glad that some of the veteran/more experienced/former LIB bus operators are asserting themselves on the road but if these newer guys can't even make the turns, how am I supposed to feel? This week will be the real test of the cuts.

Edited by Joel Up Front

They don't care about bus riders, period. On Thursday waiting for that N32 I saw three Orion Vs signed up as training buses. One guy almost ran straight into the iron gates behind the shed near the northern side of the terminal. I'm glad that some bus operators are asserting themselves on the road but if these newer guys can't even make the turns, how am I supposed to feel? This week will be the real test of the cuts.

I saw the same at RF each taking turns going into each bay one at a time. I also saw them going for lunch at smash burger last week in hicksville too.

@QJTransit: Your ideas are fiscally not feasable, the n80 is not related to Glen Cove at all! And there is a form of transportation to the Airports already, it's called Taxi Cabs [or LIRR to Airtrain]. Nassau will be loosing money to fit your ideas into the system. Also, the people are being kind to you, they would be laughing their butts off after they go on the bus!

Edited by KeystoneRegional

Not all N20s and N27s are timed transfer with each other.

Yes I know,I was simply stating that oddly enough, on Sundays the hourly N20's to Hicksville are timed to connect with the N27, not the hourly runs to CW Post. The connection timings are just a few mins apart, if the buses are always late, riders might as well take a CW Post bus, because they'll wait maybe 15-20 mins (or less due to extreme lateness) for the N27 as opposed to missing one by a 5-15 mins and waiting 45 mins for the next one.

If I go any farther north than Hempstead Turnpike, it'll take me too long. Plus, judging from how packed N25s are when they get to NHP Road for the N6, I suppose it gets more riders the closer to Great Neck it gets. I don't live close enough to Lynbrook for me to even consider the 31, so I can't rely on the 31 popping up at the station to take me to the 25.

I tried the N16-N4-N25 route but what with the Hempstead short turns confusing me at the time, I started using the 32. Since 2010 all they've done is completely butcher the headways. It might save money, but I'm approaching that breaking point...

Yeah in the morning those northbound N25's crossing Hempstead Turnpike are SRO, I'm not sure when the people start getting off, I'm thinking towards the first LIJ Hospital, you can see a few of them are wearing scrubs when the weather is nice. When I used to use the 32 it was on 20 min headways rush, and I think 30 min headways mid-day. How are the loads on the N32 now that its on 40 min headways mid-day? Edited by N6 Limited

keystone I was referring to LGA Plus I actually do not think N80 can do airport. I KNOW WHAT fake is I am not stupid I am not perfect but I must be an idiot for even taking these replies seriously. so many can not be wrong If I was always wrong I would not get EMAILED BY A PLANNER!!!! seriously you can't say N46 reroute to roosevelt WILL NOT WORK that is the heart of nassau ridership will increase. SAME for N16 well I admit extension to green acres would have an impact on N2/1/8 in some way the ridership increase may be lower or higher than I can predict

Edited by qjtransitmaster

So, far all N20 CW Post/Hicksville are very crowded on Weekend from my experience.

Chain reaction at Flushing, along Northern Blvd makes buses very late.

When I went to Whole Foods store in Jericho, I took N27 to Northern Blvd and did not wate for N20 and left without N27 connection.

N20 Hicksville soon came after that, dropping off near side for N27 and came to pick up.

They missed connection by 2 minutes.

It's not working out in either.

N20 CW Post and Hicksville bus, they both failed to meet N27.

They also have to cross busy Northern Blvd.

Edited by FamousNYLover

So, far all N20 CW Post/Hicksville are very crowded on Weekend from my experience.

Chain reaction at Flushing, along Northern Blvd makes buses very late.

When I went to Whole Foods store in Jericho, I took N27 to Northern Blvd and did not wate for N20 and left without N27 connection.

N20 Hicksville soon came after that, dropping off near side for N27 and came to pick up.

They missed connection by 2 minutes.

It's not working out in either.

N20 CW Post and Hicksville bus, they both failed to meet N27.

They also have to cross busy Northern Blvd.

Did the N27 driver attempt to wait for the N20, then leave, or it just dropped off and left?

I hope you all are sending complaints to NICE. If they're goiig to combine routes and have timed transfers they have to make sure connections are made, ESPECIALLY on one hour headways!!! They may need a dispatcher there telling drivers to wait.

Felt the affects of the n24 this morning 8 12 came late to hicksville got to roosevelt at 8 45 and missed the 16 43 and then the 45 left a minute early and now im stuck here waiting for a bus to school.

Damn, how long until the 35 or 51 came?

drugs you say brett hmm well I wonder do you??? cause most ppl I talk to in nassau like my ideas only a few ppl on some internet forum think I am insane

If this is just some internet forum to you, then you should leave.

They need to communicate the stops to the n6 drivers better or the driver needs to listen. Some keep insisting that Fulton/Terrace is not a stop westbound and Hilton isn't a stop eastbound...today the driver skipped Fulton and riders at the stop attempted to flag the bus and people on the bus told the driver he is supposed to stop. A few riders got on at Meacham today westbound. Had a few standees on the express this morning for the first time.

They need to communicate the stops to the n6 drivers better or the driver needs to listen. Some keep insisting that Fulton/Terrace is not a stop westbound and Hilton isn't a stop eastbound...today the driver skipped Fulton and riders at the stop attempted to flag the bus and people on the bus told the driver he is supposed to stop. A few riders got on at Meacham today westbound. Had a few standees on the express this morning for the first time.

NICE had a system pick for the new schedules. There may be new drivers on the N6. That doesn't excuse missing stops. It just explains it. Hopefully, drivers will talk to their supervisors and get clarification.

Did the N27 driver attempt to wait for the N20, then leave, or it just dropped off and left?

I hope you all are sending complaints to NICE. If they're goiig to combine routes and have timed transfers they have to make sure connections are made, ESPECIALLY on one hour headways!!! They may need a dispatcher there telling drivers to wait.

Damn, how long until the 35 or 51 came?

N35 at 8 54 came at 9 05 so I took the N51 at 905 which was interlined with the 40. I saw him doing a 16 after too.

NICE had a system pick for the new schedules. There may be new drivers on the N6. That doesn't excuse missing stops. It just explains it. Hopefully, drivers will talk to their supervisors and get clarification.

There are 3 intermediate stops on the N6 Express (Hilton/Terrace, Westminster Rd, Meacham Ave), It doesn't matter how new the drivers are, that makes no sense for them to not know the THREE stops. Then again... the drivers interline with like 5 routes LOL.

N35 at 8 54 came at 9 05 so I took the N51 at 905 which was interlined with the 40. I saw him doing a 16 after too.

It's a rough new pick but things will get better (hopefully).