NICE Planned Service/Schedule Changes

tvega961

I've seen the Dec.30 service change ads as well, but nothing on their website or Facebook. They may not be as major as the ones in April which they are having "meetings" for. They need to fix that n27 once and for all. The n23s were stuffed and very late today. The n27 needs to run to Roosevelt Field full time, between the workers and shoppers the n23s are getting hammered. They really need to right the wrongs with Glen Cove bus service by restoring the n21 and n27. Those changes can be paid for by reducing Hicksville-Sunrise Mall to every hour. Thats what I would've done in the 1st place and would've walked away if they wouldn't let my company make the changes that were fair to the riders.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the Dec.30 service change ads as well, but nothing on their website or Facebook. They may not be as major as the ones in April which they are having "meetings" for. They need to fix that n27 once and for all. The n23s were stuffed and very late today. The n27 needs to run to Roosevelt Field full time, between the workers and shoppers the n23s are getting hammered. They really need to right the wrongs with Glen Cove bus service by restoring the n21 and n27. Those changes can be paid for by reducing Hicksville-Sunrise Mall to every hour. Thats what I would've done in the 1st place and would've walked away if they wouldn't let my company make the changes that were fair to the riders.

Yea, I've proposed that hourly service on the n80/81. I totally agree. Those packed n23s, where were they headed?

Yea, I've proposed that hourly service on the n80/81. I totally agree. Those packed n23s, where were they headed?

Southbound in the PM. Its like this every weekend. Especially Saturday. Many workers going back from the north shore to Hempstead. The n23 and n27 were busy routes before the April changes, and its never a good idea to merge 2 busy routes into 1. I told Veolia this last year, but they did this anyway. The n27 was always at least 75% full on weekends with the hourly service, then they put all those n27 ppl on n23's that are fairly busy themselves. So it gets overcrowded. Then add the holiday shopping on top of that. And the choice riders get fed up.

Last Sunday I saw a crush loaded n27 in Greenvale headed toward Glen Cove, probably because it had 2 busloads since the prior n23 was late and missed its n27 connection. I remember being at the Uniondale Marriot last year when Veolia reps said their changes "affected people on only lighter routes". How could they possibly call the n23 and n27 light? Along with the n21. Yet the truly light routes got left alone. The BS has to stop. They should fix it and try to save some face. They came half-way in summer when they restored n27 weekday trips to RF, but they need to come all the way and have n27s run to RF on weekends to. The n23 can still go to HTC, but there needs to be 2 routes running from the "Gold Coast" down to Central Nassau at all times. The n23 cannot do it alone south of Roslyn.

Southbound in the PM. Its like this every weekend. Especially Saturday. Many workers going back from the north shore to Hempstead. The n23 and n27 were busy routes before the April changes, and its never a good idea to merge 2 busy routes into 1. I told Veolia this last year, but they did this anyway. The n27 was always at least 75% full on weekends with the hourly service, then they put all those n27 ppl on n23's that are fairly busy themselves. So it gets overcrowded. Then add the holiday shopping on top of that. And the choice riders get fed up.

Last Sunday I saw a crush loaded n27 in Greenvale headed toward Glen Cove, probably because it had 2 busloads since the prior n23 was late and missed its n27 connection. I remember being at the Uniondale Marriot last year when Veolia reps said their changes "affected people on only lighter routes". How could they possibly call the n23 and n27 light? Along with the n21. Yet the truly light routes got left alone. The BS has to stop. They should fix it and try to save some face. They came half-way in summer when they restored n27 weekday trips to RF, but they need to come all the way and have n27s run to RF on weekends to. The n23 can still go to HTC, but there needs to be 2 routes running from the "Gold Coast" down to Central Nassau at all times. The n23 cannot do it alone south of Roslyn.

My question is what did riders do on weekends. You can't walk from Roslyn Road to Willis Avenue from Hillside to Mineola Avenues since the LIRR is in the way. I agree having the n27 run to RF on Weekends.

When NICE said that it was gonna make service changes for very few riders. They have this seperation with routes. There are key corridor routes, meaning routes that can't be cut but can have service changes. These routes are the N1 (which under MTA wasn't a "key corridor" route, it was considered a suburb route) , N4, N6, N15, N20/21, N22/22A/22L/22X, N24, N31/32, N40/41, and N70/71/72. The rest are considered suburb routes, which are routes that generally a suburban and ones that aren't the highest in ridership like the key corridor routes, and can be eliminated or cut either minimal or severely

Check on of NICE's documents on the community meeting page, it should be there, just have to look for it

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

The n23 can still go to HTC, but there needs to be 2 routes running from the "Gold Coast" down to Central Nassau at all times. The n23 cannot do it alone south of Roslyn.

If the N27 is restored to the RFM, the N23 will likely just go back to Mineola, not the HTC.

My question is what did riders do on weekends. You can't walk from Roslyn Road to Willis Avenue from Hillside to Mineola Avenues since the LIRR is in the way. I agree having the n27 run to RF on Weekends.

I heard that there really wasn't that much ridership along Roslyn Road itself. It was just crowded in that portion because of people riding between points south (RFM, HTC, etc), and points north (Glen Cove).

The n23 can still go to HTC, but there needs to be 2 routes running from the "Gold Coast" down to Central Nassau at all times. The n23 cannot do it alone south of Roslyn.

If the N27 is restored to the RFM, the N23 will likely just go back to Mineola, not the HTC.

I heard that there really wasn't that much ridership along Roslyn Road itself. It was just crowded in that portion because of people riding between points south (RFM, HTC, etc), and points north (Glen Cove).

If the N27 is restored to the RFM, the N23 will likely just go back to Mineola, not the HTC

Well orginally, the n27 ran between Glen Cove and Roosevelt Field at all times, and rush hours, it went to Hempstead, while the 23 went to mineola at all times. IMO, the n23/n27 current layout would work, because walking times to the n23 wont be that tremendous, although it's hard to walk to willis Avenue on weekends

I organize bus schedule.

n2/8 n4 n6/6x n14 n15 n16/n17 n19 n20/21 n22/22a/22l/22x n23 n24 n25 n26 n27 n31/32 n33 n35 n36 n40/41 n43 n45 n46/47 n48/49 n50 n51

n54/55 n57/58 n62 n70/71/72 n73/74 n78/79 n/n81

NICE Bus Made Error

n31/n32 marked n21/n32 leads to n20/n21 PDF Dec 30th

n43 marked n43/n41 lead to n43 PDF Dec 30th mark as n43/41

n2/n8, n57/n58 and n57/n58 schedules should have posted together.

Edited by FamousNYLover

n22x

To improve service conditions, the n22x will now make an extra stop at the Mineola Intermodal Center, and New Hyde Park Road. However, the n22x will only stop at Hicksville LIRR, Post/ Maple, and Roosevelt Field Mall, then Mineola, New Hyde Park Road, and Jamaica.

The n22x will be a limited stop service for riders that want service to RF Mall during those times and to Mineola, and express on

n22L

PM peak service to Jamaica has been discontinued. Use the n22x for limited stop service towards Jamaica and to Points along the n22 route

(Please Note, n22x service does not stop at Lakeville Road, and Hillside Avenue Stops until Jamaica-179 street, use the n22a or n22)

Wow, so the n15 goes back on it's pre 2009 weekend route. Interesting

n2/8

Based on demand, service north of Hempstead Turnpike has been diverted to Frankin Avenue and Hempstead Tpke from Tulip/Covert Avenues, no longer serves Floral Park.

My Opinions

The n22x stopping at Mineola and Franklin Square is a good idea, although it would pack everyone like sardines

n2/8

Well I can understand this if n8 riders want the n8 from Franklin Avenue. Anyone that uses the n6 between Franklin Avenue and Covert Avenue will have the n2, n6x, and n8 as back ups, so actually thats pretty NICE

N80/N81/N50:

Kinda Saw that coming. Not many people use those routes north of the LIRR Station.

N73/N74:

Kinda Saw that coming also

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Due to its extra new stops, the N22X no longer will have any time savings compared to the local N22A. Riders from Roosevelt Field to Jamaica may find the N22A the better alternative now, since it still skips the roundabout routing via the Mineola LIRR, won't get stuck in traffic coming from Hicksville, and will offer all Roosevelt Field riders a seat since it's the first stop. I think the "express" part of N22X will be a misnomer since it will now take the same amount of time to get to Jamaica as the local N22A. (The past few weeks, the N22X buses have been so late & slow that the N22A local buses have been getting to Jamaica ahead of them.)

What's stopping NICE from sending the n2/8 to the Terminal?

The n2/8 run every hour rush hours, and every 2 hours off prak hours. Each loop is 45 minutes run time. Also the n2/8 OP's have a 15 minute layover, run time will not change, but service pattern will.

Due to its extra new stops, the N22X no longer will have any time savings compared to the local N22A. Riders from Roosevelt Field to Jamaica may find the N22A the better alternative now, since it still skips the roundabout routing via the Mineola LIRR, won't get stuck in traffic coming from Hicksville, and will offer all Roosevelt Field riders a seat since it's the first stop. I think the "express" part of N22X will be a misnomer since it will now take the same amount of time to get to Jamaica as the local N22A. (The past few weeks, the N22X buses have been so late & slow that the N22A local buses have been getting to Jamaica ahead of them.)

The n22x will use Herricks Road from Mineola, and will have all stops except Post/Maple omitted between Hicksville LIRR and Roosevelt Field

The n2/8 run every hour rush hours, and every 2 hours off prak hours. Each loop is 45 minutes run time. Also the n2/8 OP's have a 15 minute layover, run time will not change, but service pattern will.

The n22x will use Herricks Road from Mineola, and will have all stops except Post/Maple omitted between Hicksville LIRR and Roosevelt Field

People in New Cassel are not gonna like that and be packed on the n22s now. That seems like an error, but its quite bad since most n22 ridership comes into and out of New Cassel east of RF. I cant find where it says that on the site either. If they do that it should be quite interesting, especially since they will have to blot out all the n22x labels on the signs. As far as the other changes, they make sense, since no one used the n80/81/50 north of Hicksville LIRR, although I'm dissapointed that service levels weren't reduced and n27 riders still have to deal with a dead end bus in Roslyn.

Well, lemme just start off by saying that I'm happy to see that NICE is one step closer to reducing the n80/81/50 to their minimal capabilities with low ridership. While this is a very small step, and service should be interlined hourly between the n80/81, it is still too much service on the route for no profit. The n73 not serving residential streets off-peak I saw coming and I like the idea. Maybe they could even alternate between the n73/74 all day long now since they're both directly north/south now and maybe gain some ridership.

Now that being said, I think what they're doing with the n22 are mistakes. The n22x is now two steps closer to being a local and it won't even be faster anymore. The LIMITED doesn't stop at Mineola Intermodal Center, but the Express does? What sense does that make? Not only is this a bit confusing, but this is gonna get screwed up somehow. There aren't time savings anymore like RtrainBlues said and its gonna stink for daily n22 riders who have a long distance to travel (ex. Hicksville all the way to Jamaica).

And to tell you all the truth, we (most of us) would get service changes that we want and what is in the best interest of NICE if we spoke up. Obviously, here, just like the creation of the n6x, NICE took into account a very, very small portion of rider opinions and made a big change that defeats the purpose of the original route.

What's stopping NICE from sending the n2/8 to the Terminal?

I don't think there are any spots at the terminal left, although they probably could bring it around and place a bus stop somewhere...

People in New Cassel are not gonna like that and be packed on the n22s now. That seems like an error, but its quite bad since most n22 ridership comes into and out of New Cassel east of RF. I cant find where it says that on the site either. If they do that it should be quite interesting, especially since they will have to blot out all the n22x labels on the signs. As far as the other changes, they make sense, since no one used the n80/81/50 north of Hicksville LIRR, although I'm dissapointed that service levels weren't reduced and n27 riders still have to deal with a dead end bus in Roslyn.

http://www.nicebus.com/_meta/Dec30pdfs/NICE-n22_Dec30Schedule.pdf

It's right here for reference

http://www.nicebus.c...c30Schedule.pdf

It's right here for reference

I cant seem to find it, though I do notice the "X" marks. This is a huge mistake, did they not learn anything from the n6x debacle? I already wrote them on this, but its up to the New Cassel riders to speak up when they get screwed. Gonna love to see their reaction while they wait for a jammed n22 local when a half empty express bus whizzes down Prospect!

I cant seem to find it, though I do notice the "X" marks. This is a huge mistake, did they not learn anything from the n6x debacle? I already wrote them on this, but its up to the New Cassel riders to speak up when they get screwed. Gonna love to see their reaction while they wait for a jammed n22 local when a half empty express bus whizzes down Prospect!

I don't see any references to a stop-skipping/express service east of Roosevelt Field.

n22x

To improve service conditions, the n22x will now make an extra stop at the Mineola Intermodal Center, and New Hyde Park Road. However, the n22x will only stop at Hicksville LIRR, Post/ Maple, and Roosevelt Field Mall, then Mineola, New Hyde Park Road, and Jamaica.

The n22x will be a limited stop service for riders that want service to RF Mall during those times and to Mineola, and express on

n22L

PM peak service to Jamaica has been discontinued. Use the n22x for limited stop service towards Jamaica and to Points along the n22 route

(Please Note, n22x service does not stop at Lakeville Road, and Hillside Avenue Stops until Jamaica-179 street, use the n22a or n22)

Wow, so the n15 goes back on it's pre 2009 weekend route. Interesting

n2/8

Based on demand, service north of Hempstead Turnpike has been diverted to Frankin Avenue and Hempstead Tpke from Tulip/Covert Avenues, no longer serves Floral Park.

My Opinions

The n22x stopping at Mineola and Franklin Square is a good idea, although it would pack everyone like sardines

n2/8

Well I can understand this if n8 riders want the n8 from Franklin Avenue. Anyone that uses the n6 between Franklin Avenue and Covert Avenue will have the n2, n6x, and n8 as back ups, so actually thats pretty NICE

N80/N81/N50:

Kinda Saw that coming. Not many people use those routes north of the LIRR Station.

N73/N74:

Kinda Saw that coming also

Where did you copy this from? According to NICE the n22x will be making all stops east of RF.

Thoughts on Changes: I like how they show the route via their online interactive map, on the back of the schedule.

N2/N8: Interesting, now its reunited with the N25. I rarely saw ANYONE on the bus north of Hempstead Turnpike, this may increase ridership as it allows better connections.

N6/N6x: NHP RD is a good addition. I think they still skip Elmont Rd and Locustwood Blvd because of the N1.

N15: will serve County Seat Dr only during Rush Hours basically. I wonder if they will reduce N35 service.

N35; Looks like they reduced midday service between Hempstead and Roosevelt Field while the N15 serves its route.

N22: Should get more riders on the N22x now

N73: More direct routing, saves running mileage, etc.

N80/N81: Cut back to LIRR. Only N20 & N48/N48 serves Broadway mall now.

I don't see any references to a stop-skipping/express service east of Roosevelt Field.

there are X marks at 169, 179, NHP Rd, Mineola(not visible), Roosevelt Field, Post Rd, and Hicksville LIRR Edited by N6 Limited

there are X marks at 169, 179, NHP Rd, Mineola(not visible), Roosevelt Field, Post Rd, and Hicksville LIRR

The thing is that the running time between Hicksville & RFM is the same on both the N22 & N22X. If there are a sizable number of passengers coming from New Cassel that would be bypassed, the runtime would be at least a good 5-10 minutes shorter on the express than the local. I think those Xs only serve as an indicator that it is a timepoint for the express.

The Jamaica-bound N22X has been recently arriving at Roosevelt Field Mall at least 10 minutes behind schedule (and sometimes not showing up at all) so perhaps the N22X schedule is now being padded with extra run time along points in its route.

Edited by RtrainBlues