Random Thoughts Thread - Nassau Inter-County Express (NICE)

User

I here that Suffolk is looking to make something similar to the metro cards.If they do and the talk of Bellone looking to change Suffolk transit hope there is more connections and express buses to Both Nassau and Suffolk.

I am very interested in the changes Bellone posted and hope it doesn't take decades to institute.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feel free to leave criticism, but transit out on East Long Island would be easier if Suffolk Transit and possibly Long Beach Transit unified with NICE. The new system would still use the former depots from ST and LBT. The operating companies would remain the same also, or could be put up for bid by other contractors.

What are the obstacles to clear, in order to bring this closer to reality.

Sorry if it sounds far fetched, never ridden a bus in Nassau.

Feel free to leave criticism, but transit out on East Long Island would be easier if Suffolk Transit and possibly Long Beach Transit unified with NICE. The new system would still use the former depots from ST and LBT. The operating companies would remain the same also, or could be put up for bid by other contractors.

I don't see it happening, honestly. LBT or ST.

Yeah it's not called long beach transit duh.it's called Long Beach bus hope on the 15 get off at terminal and look for yourself.I live LB so i know what goes on here and get your info correct the fomer depot is a big white building connected to a city owned garage.the fleet of buses are 169-178 excluding the trolley 179.And we don't take no metro cards on are buses just dollar bills and quarters.

Yeah it's not called long beach transit duh.it's called Long Beach bus hope on the 15 get off at terminal and look for yourself.I live LB so i know what goes on here and get your info correct the fomer depot is a big white building connected to a city owned garage.the fleet of buses are 169-178 excluding the trolley 179.And we don't take no metro cards on are buses just dollar bills and quarters.

Damn, sorry. And I'm know the fare structure as well.

cool story, bro

Remember at the beginning of the year when NICE said they were saving the most of their money by signing a new fuel contract? I just happened to see today that the provider of CNG fuel to the bus depots is Clean Energy Fuels. I don't know who provided fuel under Long Island Bus, but those of you who experts in this sort of thing, is it really as much savings as NICE says it to be?

http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/

Is true that City of Long Beach planning to increase their East West, Shopper's Special and N69 Point Lookout fare?

I think a lot of people just love to harp on the negative, everything looks sh!tty when you wear your sh!t colored glasses. I really don't see many ways NICE is worse than MTA Long Island Bus. If it weren't for Veolia Pine Power would be sitting on the corner recoding himself for 2 hours with no buses coming because they would be operating a skeleton system this year.

MTA Long Island Bus would've been better had Nassau County properly funded it's bus system. Is Veolia doing a better job with a smaller budget than LIB? Yes they are. Still I think stuff like maintanance suffers because of Nassau's refusal to provide a greater subsidy. This has been holding back bus service for years, with every Executive since Gulotta! I just would've liked to have seen Mangano agree to properly fund bus service. MTA Long Island Bus was set to be integrated with MTA Bus, but when push came to shove the County refused to work with the MTA and hence NICE was born. Nassau doesn't need the MTA to run a good bus system, one only has to look to Westchester's Bee-Line as a good example of a public-private partnership. But thats because Westchester doesn't keep cutting it's bus budget!

Veolia has been able to run more service under a lower budget than the MTA would have, but you do have to look at the quality of the service. Bus bunching has gotten much worse, often there will be 2 or 3 buses in a row (I've seen this almost everyday on the n22), and I can definately say the buses are more off schedule than they were with the MTA because the already short running times and layovers have been made even shorter. But this is how Veolia saves money. And yes I'd still rather have it this way than a skeleton system under the MTA, I'm certainly not that crazy! :lol:

MTA Long Island Bus would've been better had Nassau County properly funded it's bus system. Is Veolia doing a better job with a smaller budget than LIB? Yes they are. Still I think stuff like maintanance suffers because of Nassau's refusal to provide a greater subsidy. This has been holding back bus service for years, with every Executive since Gulotta! I just would've liked to have seen Mangano agree to properly fund bus service. MTA Long Island Bus was set to be integrated with MTA Bus, but when push came to shove the County refused to work with the MTA and hence NICE was born. Nassau doesn't need the MTA to run a good bus system, one only has to look to Westchester's Bee-Line as a good example of a public-private partnership. But thats because Westchester doesn't keep cutting it's bus budget!

Veolia has been able to run more service under a lower budget than the MTA would have, but you do have to look at the quality of the service. Bus bunching has gotten much worse, often there will be 2 or 3 buses in a row (I've seen this almost everyday on the n22), and I can definately say the buses are more off schedule than they were with the MTA because the already short running times and layovers have been made even shorter. But this is how Veolia saves money. And yes I'd still rather have it this way than a skeleton system under the MTA, I'm certainly not that crazy! :lol:

You'd think that after 17 years of doing the same shit you'd try something different... I'm sorry if you're disabled but get a f**king life.

You'd think that after 17 years of doing the same shit you'd try something different... I'm sorry if you're disabled but get a f**king life.

I'd like you to say that to my face, punk! Easy to say stuff over a computer isnt it? You and your friends think NICE Bus is so great why not try riding it for a week or two? Yes I know the MTA would've cut much more service given the budget, but the service NICE provides is crap. I waited an hour for an n27 today, one broke down and they never filled the run. And then its return trip from Glen Cove was never filled either. Then an n22 was an hour late with the next one right behind it. And this was just today! You think we're better off now with NICE than with MTA Long Island Bus before Mangano pulled his shit, WTF are you smokin?

I know I'm expected not to go off on any of you who talk shit about me but I've had enough. You aren't in my shoes so STFU.

I'd like you to say that to my face, punk! Easy to say stuff over a computer isnt it? You and your friends think NICE Bus is so great why not try riding it for a week or two? Yes I know the MTA would've cut much more service given the budget, but the service NICE provides is crap. I waited an hour for an n27 today, one broke down and they never filled the run. And then its return trip from Glen Cove was never filled either. Then an n22 was an hour late with the next one right behind it. And this was just today! You think we're better off now with NICE than with MTA Long Island Bus before Mangano pulled his shit, WTF are you smokin?

I know I'm expected not to go off on any of you who talk shit about me but I've had enough. You aren't in my shoes so STFU.

5301498633_f551d4cc5c_z.jpg

I love internet tough guys, you paint the picture of Joel Upfront being one of these people but ultimately, that is what you are. "I'd love it if it you said that to my face." The reality is you have said a lot of jacked up things to members on this forum including myself in response to there opinions, but yet you change yours regularly (MTA VEOLIA). I also heard you saying messed up, annoying, and untrue things about Veolia in your videos. I have always wished I've caught you on a bus while making one of these these videos so I could call you on the crap you are saying. I also don't know why no one has told you to stfu while riding a bus because you are tickled pink because you are riding an old Orion.

I guarantee if we I caught you on a bus spewing at the mouth like you do you would not be mr. tough guy like you are here.

You are the epitome of why drivers hate foamers or any type of bus lover, we ask a question and the first thing that comes to mind is we are someone like you!

Don't be mad because someone thought you were mentally challenged, I also assumed you were mentally challenged and if you have noticed that is why I have stopped ignoring your posts, proving you wrong, and making fun of you. I felt badly because I thought I was picking on someone mentally challenged who loved buses (my mother didn't raise me like that!).

I thought you were mentally challenged because I asked you numerous times what you do for a living, you continually ignore the question and not answer. And then I put it together. You flip flop answers, don't make any sense, love buses so much, post videos of buses and elevators, get so excited that you have to make a video because you are riding an old Orion on the S1, then it hit me "OMG I'm making fun of a 'special' guy on the way to and from his day program."

I mean no offense to the mentally handicapped, this was actually what I thought, I'm not making fun of anyone. I'm also sorry to the staff of this forum, but it had to be said.

I love internet tough guys, you paint the picture of Joel Upfront being one of these people but ultimately, that is what you are. "I'd love it if it you said that to my face." The reality is you have said a lot of jacked up things to members on this forum including myself in response to there opinions, but yet you change yours regularly (MTA VEOLIA). I also heard you saying messed up, annoying, and untrue things about Veolia in your videos. I have always wished I've caught you on a bus while making one of these these videos so I could call you on the crap you are saying. I also don't know why no one has told you to stfu while riding a bus because you are tickled pink because you are riding an old Orion.

I guarantee if we I caught you on a bus spewing at the mouth like you do you would not be mr. tough guy like you are here.

You are the epitome of why drivers hate foamers or any type of bus lover, we ask a question and the first thing that comes to mind is we are someone like you!

Don't be mad because someone thought you were mentally challenged, I also assumed you were mentally challenged and if you have noticed that is why I have stopped ignoring your posts, proving you wrong, and making fun of you. I felt badly because I thought I was picking on someone mentally challenged who loved buses (my mother didn't raise me like that!).

I thought you were mentally challenged because I asked you numerous times what you do for a living, you continually ignore the question and not answer. And then I put it together. You flip flop answers, don't make any sense, love buses so much, post videos of buses and elevators, get so excited that you have to make a video because you are riding an old Orion on the S1, then it hit me "OMG I'm making fun of a 'special' guy on the way to and from his day program."

I mean no offense to the mentally handicapped, this was actually what I thought, I'm not making fun of anyone. I'm also sorry to the staff of this forum, but it had to be said.

You know, had he answered the question, he could have saved himself embarassment like this.

I will add one thing though, this dude has always loved the MTA, and resented NICE. It's apparent that he just tries to reasonate with NICE, reasons being that he's stuck with NICE, and he wants to share views with others. IDK.

No worries, bro.

What does what I do for a living have to do with bus service? I dont go asking you or Joel what you do. Why? Because it's none of my business! And my life is none of your business! You can bet if you walked on my bus and started saying your disrespectful trash to me I'd let you know how I feel just like I did here. I do not let people walk all over me, not on the internet, not in person. My life is none of your damn business. I compliment NICE when I feel they've done a good job and criticize them when they've failed. I dont hate Veolia or the MTA, they both have their different management styles, but clearly when Veolia promised they can run a similar level of service for a much lower cost, it is reliability that gives. Both with lower cost labor as well as less maintanance, so buses are late and breakdown much more frequently than under the MTA. When it comes to whose at fault I've always been consistant on blaming Nassau County. The problems Nassau riders had under the MTA, as well as Veolia, are directly related to a lack of funding by Nassau County. But go ahead and keep blaming the messenger, all I'm doing is reporting what I see in my daily experiences with NICE Bus.

Jesus, go easy on Piney.

Westchester also doesn't hire a multinational conglomerate to operate its buses, they hire a company based IN the county that provides service ONLY in that county, which is very smart since it helps their local economy and Liberty Lines provides damn good service and keeps their buses sparkly clean. I don't see their system being what it is now if Liberty was replaced with a major corporation like Veolia or MV. Mangano should have looked into some local companies, even local school bus companies like ST uses, but he only considered MV, First, and Veolia, the big conglomerates that never knew Nassau County until the privatization bid was put out.

Nassau County Legislature Carrie Solages told me he gets lots of complaint about Veolia NICE Bus.

Even some former MTA Long Island Bus dispatcher and bus operators aren't happy with Veolia and they trully want MTA to come back.

On Veolia's website, it shows their passengers and bus drivers are smiling, however not in Nassau County's case.

Speaking of Veolia, I learned via searching on internet, and found some drivers from transit agency hates Veolia as well.

http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Veolia-Transportation-Reviews-E38860.htm

According to some operators from other states, they aren't happy with Veolia Transportation just like TWU Local 252's footstep.

Cait Sith, Harry, Shortline Bus and other adm/mods are doing great job keeping NYCTF on its topic close as possible and I don't want this great threat about NICE Bus to be closed its door.

I don't like when people argue over, but please look at some statements from employees from other agency who works for Veolia.

I agreed with everyone's story here about NICE Bus.

Even thought PinePower said that Spanish people doesn't complaint, but I heard from a regular n27 rider from Glen Clove said that Spanish people does complaint.

I am regular NICE Bus riders as well, and I could feel how NICE Passengers and former LIB drivers feel their pains working with Veolia.

At Glen Clove, when n27 northbound was still by Rug Co., I still remember there was one Spanish people gave up on n27 and he hitchhiked properly with other Spanish stranger.

When I was at Green Acres Mall, even some Queens folks do take NICE Bus in morning and isn't happy.

When Long Island Bus Riders Union and Tri-State Campaign did survey at Hicksville, Mineola, or Jamaica, some passengers said, NICE "S".

Slightly might be off-topic, but relating to transit employees's review about Veolia.

For example, all these employees below gave Veolia review of 2/5 stars, which means Veolia isn't very popular with some transit employees.

Senior management lacks professionalism. Does not promote hiring from within.

Former Employee in Baltimore, MD – Reviewed Oct 3, 2011

Pros – The chance to travel and company expense.

Cons – Senior management lacks professionalism. Does not promote hiring from within.

Advice to Senior Management – Promote from within and offer tuition reimbursemnt to promote employee developement.

Drivers need respect too

Current Employee in Mesa, AZ – Reviewed Aug 22, 2008

Pros – I feel the people I transport need my help to get around, they have no other means of transportation. I drive for Dial A Ride,and it makes me feel good to help them.

Cons – There is no friendly feel to the place, no communication among other drivers,management works 8to5, drivers are on 10 hour shift, try to talk to them (management) in person with out coming in on your day off or on the phone,when I have a question or problem I don't want to talk to them on the phone. Safety meetings are held after work hours only,meaning after working 10 hours you have to sit around for up to one and half hours before the meetings,and some of the drivers don't get to eat dinner with out going to a fast food place to grab a bite to eat,oh sure you could use the junk food machine.

Advice to Senior Management – Listen to drivers see what they want,not my way or highway

International private transit provider that has a lot of growing up to do

Current Employee – Reviewed Aug 26, 2012

Pros – Large corporation with international reach, internal growth opportunities

Cons – Inconsistant policies, procedures and training at property level - perception of island mentality where properties act as individual business units rather than extesnsions of overall corporation. No leadership devleopment or grooming program, lack of planning and execution on large-scale corporate initiatives, and no cohesive articulated company mission or vision.

Advice to Senior Management – Hire the best and brightest, work to retain the best and brightest through development programs, incentives, training, etc. Look at best practices, not only in transit industry, but from highly successful businesses. Stop acting and thinking like a small transit company, but be visionary and incorporate best business practices of large-scale multi-national corporations.

Unfair and inconsistent. If you are on the inside track with management and HR you will go far.

Former Employee in Denver, CO – Reviewed Jul 6, 2012

Pros – The people are fun and good to work with. The training staff was nice to work with.

Cons – Low wages for drivers and ability to grow. The place has low morale. But there is inconsistency in discipline, I could never tell what the process was, one driver would be rehired but he had so many points! If you gave a good excuse to management about absences they would drop points and it was so inconsistent. The issue with us driving our own cars during relief was concerning, turning over my vehicle so a driver could bring it back to the shop was worrisome.

Advice to Senior Management – Become more consistent and increase wages to the staff. Stop playing favorites and have a straight forward discipline process. It seems like only one manager makes decisions on discipline. More communication, the place runs on gossip rather than being open. I find out more in the driver's lounges than from the managers themselves.

Today was not a good day at work.

Current Employee in Las Vegas, NV – Reviewed May 8, 2012

Pros – Large company with worldwide reputation for excellence and high standard of performance in service to their client.

Cons – As usual, any company that has human beings as employees will have blemishes among both rank and file and management personnel.

Advice to Senior Management – Stop humiliating and antagonizing your workforce and morale will improve drastically.

It the most inconsistant place I've ever worked

Current Transit Supervisor in Las Vegas, NV – Reviewed Oct 23, 2011

Pros – Good Benefits. Low turnover. Good days off.

Cons – Low pay and supervisors do not get overtime. We are worked 16 hours some days but will only get paid for 12. We are asked to come in on our day off and not get a dime for it. Yet are docked if we come in a little late.

Advice to Senior Management – Get a clue on how to run a business.

Veolia Needs Work

Current Employee – Reviewed May 12, 2011

Pros – -Low Turnover

-Some Advancment Oppurtunities

-Wide range of personalities

-Union

Cons – -Pay rates for all levels, especially driver positions

-Policies are not consistant

-Policies are not always enforced

-Communication

-Incentive's

Advice to Senior Management – Coporate needs to be more involved with their regions / locations. We are out here doing the day -to -day work. On the grind sort to speak. When you call corporate, they have bad attitudes and they think they always right. Have you ever even been on a bus?? More communication is key. Regional staff should be more involved in not just the contracts that are doing poorly, but the ones that are doing good.Show more support. Teach your locations what you know. Hold more meetings, conference calls etc and share with us your knowledge. Every location in the region should be on the same page. We should'nt be working at our own descretion. You teach us how to lead, but don't follow up. Reviews are a joke. You never give better than a Satisfactory and you say you will sculpt your employees and that you will help them advance. Really you just give us more work and do not want to compensate us for it. Pay is a huge issues from your staff to your driver's. We deal with the complaints, we do the dirty work. We pay the bills, cut the checks, train the employee's, drive the bus, pre-trip, get dirty, work on the engines and the brakes, keep your files in order in case someone from Corporate wants to come down and audit us. We do that hard work. Appreciation and a pat on the back goes a long way. You are never going to satisfy everyone, but you should always try your best to.

Bus Operator, Northern California.

Former Employee – Reviewed Sep 14, 2010

Pros – Most of my co-workers were great, we'd get to see each other every hour at the transit center. It was a 5-10 minute break every hour. Driving around the city you like all day is pretty fun, too. Especially when you find out where the best places to eat, walk or people-watch are. You become familiar with the pulse of the city, and learn to enjoy most of the crazy stuff that happens everyday, from accidents to crazy people. Driving the bus is also great because you are flying solo, no bosses hovering over you. Its not back-breaking labor and it's heated in the winter, air-conditioned in the summer.

Cons – Management changed every two to three years. None of the managers at our location ever really had a connection with, or understood, the operators and their duties. I understand the General Managers not knowing road ops. However, the Road Supervisors should know the drivers and routes. Only four of the six RS in my ten years bothered to learn the shifts and routes. Three of them had no commercial license.

Learning the employees' shifts is important to avoid giving drivers verbal or written warnings for incidents that occurred when they were not on the clock. To be honest this only happened four times in my stint there, but that is four too many, and I remember each one. All four of those drivers were at home or had not even worked the day alleged incidents took place. That was very hard for many of us (drivers) to understand.

Advice to Senior Management – At the local level, stick around. Maybe get your commercial driver's license. Or at least learn how to operate a bus. Become familiar with the routes and schedules.On a national or global level, I did not have enough info, nor did I care.

According to this, all transit drivers who worked for Veolia isn't happy with Veolia just like PinePower's footstep onboard NICE Bus.

Edited by FamousNYLover

I remember one time when I was sitting on crowded n4 or n32 bus, it seems like Spanish people aren't even happy with Veolia.

When I made mistake on my trip plan to n72 to n80/n81 at Sunrise Mall, I end up on wrong bus n70, but instead took that to Hicksville Rd for n80, where one lady waiting for n72 bus has lots of complaints to Veolia NICE. Same thing happened when I took n33 bus as well.