Op-Ed: Commuter wants NJT to take over DeCamp

mfs NJT459

I do wish NJTransit take over lines with poor bus maintenance, thus one being the Veolia lines in Monmouth Co., however if there are bus lines with good maintained busses, I'd be okay with that line being a private/public partnership. So far, Lakeland and DeCamp's overall feel is fine...

I agree! Njt need to let these private contractors go plain n simple. We have more then enough buses to do it ourselves....

Becareful adding more lines can probably affect the flow of any garage that can handle those lines and also training for the routes in particular now buses no problem since those buses are leased to them. Its adding more people tp drive em that may cause problems. I hope i got this somewhat right. But lets not get crazy letting go private contractors, most of them are okay like AC, Academy,Broadway,Commuter Coach etc.

I do wish NJTransit take over lines with poor bus maintenance, thus one being the Veolia lines in Monmouth Co., however if there are bus lines with good maintained busses, I'd be okay with that line being a private/public partnership. So far, Lakeland and DeCamp's overall feel is fine...

I rode with Veolia today, wasn't bad at all except it showed up 15 minutes late. The RTS was clean, and it ran fine. The B/O was having a loud conversation with someone in the front of the bus though. I think the private lines directly controlled by the companies (like Academy commuter services) should stay the way they are, but I don't see why NJT has to contract out certain bus operations. I mean, NJT has their own bus operations division that operates most of their buses, so why contract out to Veolia or Academy or some other company when they can operate the routes themselves?

I rode with Veolia today, wasn't bad at all except it showed up 15 minutes late. The RTS was clean, and it ran fine. The B/O was having a loud conversation with someone in the front of the bus though. I think the private lines directly controlled by the companies (like Academy commuter services) should stay the way they are, but I don't see why NJT has to contract out certain bus operations. I mean, NJT has their own bus operations division that operates most of their buses, so why contract out to Veolia or Academy or some other company when they can operate the routes themselves?

My guess, being a former NJT operator, where would you place the buses? Where would you place the garage? The workers is another thing too. I am willing to bet that some of the DeCamp drivers are local people, and thus, a local garage benefits a route than having the route at, lets say, Meadowlands, or Wayne. It's all about location and logistics.

True but Njt could takeover their garage not just their routes you know. Plus this way NJT can reassign routes to closer garages. Like if 878/879 was taken over they can be shifted to dover from lafayette,nj. so with privates it can be no different OR like DC adopt a single fare media or single common fare mode

True but Njt could takeover their garage not just their routes you know. Plus this way NJT can reassign routes to closer garages. Like if 878/879 was taken over they can be shifted to dover from lafayette,nj. so with privates it can be no different OR like DC adopt a single fare media or single common fare mode

NJT can't just take over their garage....DeCamp also has a fleet of charter buses. I highly doubt DeCamp will sell their property to NJT....especially when it so hard to find property in the Bergen/Passic area to build a bus garage. Look how long NJT has been trying to replace Oradell!

Alot of this lady's bitching is because she is not a regular commuter on DeCamp. Most of her complaints show that she isn't aware of their policies. As far as the whole "cross honoring" deal....I've seen days when NJT Rail has been all F'd up and Academy won't cross honor. Something tells me that the contract carriers are not getting reimbursed in a timely fashion. And as far as the DeCamp drivers being rude, I can say from personal experience that they don't take any bullsh*t from the commuters. Whether you want to say that's being rude is up to you, but I understand where it comes from because everybody is a critic when they don't have to sit behind the wheel of a 40-45ft MCI.

Not what I meant but ok. I was referring to njt contract buses locals in monmouth and shuttles funded by NJT which would reduce DHs significantly. Example Scoot gets the boot and NJT gets a new somerset garage thus reducing DH on 114 and allowing 605 to enter somerset with improved rush service. But that is another story for later I would assume it would be easier for NJT to take over a contract shuttle or contract routes like they did PABCO than it would commuter routes to nyc from privates. I highly doubt the shuttles are private cause they are county based. But in a sense the idea is similar but difficulty different.

Not what I meant but ok.

It is what you ment. You said NJT could take over their garage. At this point the only thing that could happen is that NJT could take back the MCIs and I don't see that happening.

Like I said in my earlier post...the lady's rant about DeCamp is because she isn't a regular rider and doesn't know their policies. And at the same time where does it say that DeCamp, Lakeland or Academy HAVE to cross-honor? NJT didn't give a rats ass about Lakeland and DeCamp when they started the Montclair-Boonton line.....the train has hurt both those companies big time!

It is what you ment. You said NJT could take over their garage. At this point the only thing that could happen is that NJT could take back the MCIs and I don't see that happening.

Like I said in my earlier post...the lady's rant about DeCamp is because she isn't a regular rider and doesn't know their policies. And at the same time where does it say that DeCamp, Lakeland or Academy HAVE to cross-honor? NJT didn't give a rats ass about Lakeland and DeCamp when they started the Montclair-Boonton line.....the train has hurt both those companies big time!

Well said its a two way street!

well ok BZguy but I was reffering to something else I was referring to the NJT funded shuttle routes throughout NJ but I am not refuting your stance on DEcamp I agree with that part. Taking over the commuter lines to NYC would be very difficult especially since CUSA suburban is now another megabus service meaning with $1 fares now that takeover would be impossible.

well ok BZguy but I was reffering to something else I was referring to the NJT funded shuttle routes throughout NJ but I am not refuting your stance on DEcamp I agree with that part. Taking over the commuter lines to NYC would be very difficult especially since CUSA suburban is now another megabus service meaning with $1 fares now that takeover would be impossible.

*sighs*

The new Megabus service from New Brunswick and Princeton is NOT replacing Suburban service....it being marketed toward students and the day trip crowd. The commuters will still be riding Suburban.

At this point I don't think NJT could ever take over the commuter routes from the private contractors. Just from an operational standpoint...they would have no where to park the buses and I don't even want to think about where they would find the drivers. The only thing I see happening is that when NJT decides to replace the current "Jersey Cruisers" that the contract carriers have, I think they will be in NJT colors. There has been way too much abuse of using the state buses for other uses (especially the bathroom buses) by Academy and Coach USA.

• 1 month later...

I have had mixed feelings about NJT contracting service to private lines. In most instances the contract companies do a decent enough job, but it has to be said the red and tans out there need to go. Crap OTP and poor employee attitudes towards the job at hand. When you depend on these drivers to be there on time & act like a fellow human and they don't do that its time for NJT to take over.

- A

Archived