Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Q17 service should be fixed on the weekends.

Every other or every third 17 going to/from Flushing should short turn at HHE and 188th Street, similar to what the Q27 does.

This is because one problem with the 17 is that it gets absolutely packed on Kissena and practically empty on 188th. Also, it clumps in threes and fours on 188th Street all the time.

if there were cutbacks that needed to be made i deleted the Q47 from the 74th street terminal  to compensate that i cut the q53 back to 74th street terminal   if political pressure needed the q47 at the 74th street terminal the q47 reroute would be scrapped and the q49 would be deleted from the 74th street terminal and extended to the old q53 terminal

thoughts and comments

q47 deleted from 74th street terminal to make room for the q53 reroute

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004d5e95af38120b0557

q49 reroute to replace the q53

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004d5e9c0b1c67455ba2

q53 cutback

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004d5e98b47945f38459

Edited by BreeddekalbL

why would you base the b26 out of jackie gleason ? the north terminal is in fresh pond territory

Under my proposal, the Q88 runs to Fresh Pond and Metropolitan Avenue, so it would need a lot of buses, considering its headways and length (Q88 still won't be the longest route in the system). To make room, the B7 would go ENY which has enough buses to do that, and the B26 would go to JG.

Under my proposal, the Q88 runs to Fresh Pond and Metropolitan Avenue, so it would need a lot of buses, considering its headways and length (Q88 still won't be the longest route in the system). To make room, the B7 would go ENY which has enough buses to do that, and the B26 would go to JG.

first where would your q88 be based out of? oh i see you would kick the b26 out of FP to go to gleason but if im not mistaken doesn't gleason have a bus and cng shortage 

Edited by BreeddekalbL

I wouldn't change the current Q47 route or set-up at all. The Q49 to Woodside I'm neutral about, because that would be duplicative to the Q32 and the (7) . I wouldn't cut the Q53 from Woodside completely. I would make every other bus serve Woodside, because the Q53 lacks ridership between Woodside and Jackson Heights. Service past 10 PM is not needed from Jackson Heights to Woodside, based on the multiple times I take an evening Q47 at 10 PM, which indeed does get SRO.

Also, I think the Q38 can get a decrease in running times.

Weekdays, the 12:15 AM trip to Rego Park and the 12:00 AM trip to Corona should get cut.

Saturdays, trips after 10:01 PM to Corona and trips after 10:46 PM from Corona should get cut

Sundays, trips after 9:31 PM to Corona and trips after 10:16 PM from Corona should get canned. Even if I cut Q38 service up to 10:00 PM weekends, that is still overserving the route.

I wouldn't change the current Q47 route or set-up at all. The Q49 to Woodside I'm neutral about, because that would be duplicative to the Q32 and the (7) . I wouldn't cut the Q53 from Woodside completely. I would make every other bus serve Woodside, because the Q53 lacks ridership between Woodside and Jackson Heights. Service past 10 PM is not needed from Jackson Heights to Woodside, based on the multiple times I take an evening Q47 at 10 PM, which indeed does get SRO.

Also, I think the Q38 can get a decrease in running times.

Weekdays, the 12:15 AM trip to Rego Park and the 12:00 AM trip to Corona should get cut.

Saturdays, trips after 10:01 PM to Corona and trips after 10:46 PM from Corona should get cut

Sundays, trips after 9:31 PM to Corona and trips after 10:16 PM from Corona should get canned. Even if I cut Q38 service up to 10:00 PM weekends, that is still overserving the route.

so you like my idea of cutting of the Q53 and like i said i made notes in each of the q47 and the q53 each change is dependent on the Q47  since you say there is demand the plan would be scrapped  for the q47  and to make room for the q53 i removed the q49 from 74th street terminal

These are two options I would do to the Q38

Option 1:Replace the Q38 into two parts

Q88: Replacing the entire Eastbound Q38 routing from Corona to Middle Village, and replacing the Q38 route westbound from Middle Village to Corona (Q88 will resume normal routing at 108 st HHE) The Q88 will also run a shorter pathway, operating along 69 street to Metropolitan Avenue to Fresh Pond Road, Replacing the Q67

Option 1a

Q67: Buses run on the Q38 route from 69 street to Forest Hills, to maintain service on the lesser used Penelope Avenue Portion. The bus will run every 12 (current Q67 rh headways , compared from the 14 on the Q38) rush hours, every 24 (compared from 20 on the Q38), every 12 (compared to 15 on the Q38). Weekends, the Q67 will have short-turns from Fresh Pond Road/ Metropolitan Avenue to Forest Hills, every 30 minutes on the segment, 60 from Middle Village to LIC. This would break the Q38 route into two segments as it previously was, and make the current Q38 bunching problem end

The Q88 will be a Fresh Pond Bus Route, and still have Casey Stengel Trippers

The Q67 would most probably be College Point Because of its proximity to College Point to LGA, or a split

The B26 would be based from Grand Avenue instead

The B7 would go back to East New York

Option 1b

The Q67 would run on the Q38 route to Fresh Pond Road, then continue down Eliot via the Q39 path

The Q39 would instead serve Metropolitan Avenue and the Penelope Avenue Segment, and Forest Hills

Option 2: Replace the Q38 in two segments

Q18: Extended from Grand/69 street to Ridgewood via Q39 routing

Q39: Will run down Fresh Pond Road, Metropolitan Avenue, 69 street, Eliot Avenue, and off to Corona via the Q38 path

Q67: Buses run on the Q38 route from 69 street to Forest Hills, to maintain service on the lesser used Penelope Avenue Portion. The bus will run every 12 (current Q67 rh headways , compared from the 14 on the Q38) rush hours, every 24 (compared from 20 on the Q38), every 12 (compared to 15 on the Q38). Weekends, the Q67 will have short-turns from Fresh Pond Road/ Metropolitan Avenue to Forest Hills, every 30 minutes on the segment, 60 from Middle Village to LIC. This would break the Q38 route into two segments as it previously was, and make the current Q38 bunching problem end

The Q67 would most probably be College Point Because of its proximity to College Point to LGA, or a split

Oh, I didn't realize you were extending the Q88. That was always one of my alternative ideas for that area.

I would simply extend it via the Eliot half, but then come down Forest and Gates to the Ridgewood terminal (Fresh Pond @ Metropolitan is in a way, the "middle of nowhere" as far as a terminal). Then, the remainder of the Q38 would loop around Fresh Pond, Eliot and Olivet Crescent to come back to the Metro terminal, and the Juniper Valley route. (Yeah, then, you could probably reduce that at night).

Edited by Eric B

Oh, I didn't realize you were extending the Q88. That was always one of my alternative ideas for that area.

I would simply extend it via the Eliot half, but then come down Forest and Gates to the Ridgewood terminal (Fesh Pond @ Metropolitan is in a way, the "middle of nowhere" as far as a terminal). Then, the remainder of the Q38 would loop around Fresh Pond, Eliot and Olivet Crescent to come back to the Metro terminal, and the Juniper Valley route. (Yeah, then, you could probably reduce that at night).

enjoy a long ass ride

I wondered whether that might be too long. But then didn't someone not too long ago mention an idea of cutting it back at its eastern end, or something like that?

B35 via Church suggested terminating the Q88 at Springfield Blvd and 73 Avenue or at the former Q75 terminal or something like that.

if there were cutbacks that needed to be made i deleted the Q47 from the 74th street terminal  to compensate that i cut the q53 back to 74th street terminal   if political pressure needed the q47 at the 74th street terminal the q47 reroute would be scrapped and the q49 would be deleted from the 74th street terminal and extended to the old q53 terminal

thoughts and comments

q47 deleted from 74th street terminal to make room for the q53 reroute

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ptab=2&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004d5e95af38120b0557

q49 reroute to replace the q53

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004d5e9c0b1c67455ba2

q53 cutback

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004d5e98b47945f38459

what's everyone else's opinion of my proposals? since it got caught in me asking Q23 central about sending the B26 to JG.

....But then didn't someone not too long ago mention an idea of cutting it back at its eastern end, or something like that?

B35 via Church suggested terminating the Q88 at Springfield Blvd and 73 Avenue or at the former Q75 terminal or something like that.

Yeah, that was me.... I still think it should too; EB usage tanks at springfield/73rd anyway....

The (short turn) Q27 & the Q1 can remain ending at LIRR Queens Village....

I suggested ending Q88's at Springfield/Union Turnpike.....

....Eastbound along 73rd, then turn south on bell, east on union tpke, north on springfield to stand..... from that point (after layover of course), Elmhurst bound 88's would take on it's normal routing.... That was the idea.

Yeah, that was me.... I still think it should too; EB usage tanks at springfield/73rd anyway....

The (short turn) Q27 & the Q1 can remain ending at LIRR Queens Village....

I suggested ending Q88's at Springfield/Union Turnpike.....

....Eastbound along 73rd, then turn south on bell, east on union tpke, north on springfield to stand..... from that point (after layover of course), Elmhurst bound 88's would take on it's normal routing.... That was the idea.

I'd support Q88 short turns at Springfield and 73rd, but the Q88 from 73rd to Jamaica Av does serve a useful purpose. As someone who uses the bus over there, it's a much faster alternative to the Q17, and in terms of ridership it certainly isn't a Q79.

If anything, the problem with the Springfield routes are their tendency to bunch a lot. Whenever I'm waiting to change to a Q27 or a Q88 at Hillside and Springfield, it always seems like both routes send their buses in twos and threes.

I'd support Q88 short turns at Springfield and 73rd, but the Q88 from 73rd to Jamaica Av does serve a useful purpose. As someone who uses the bus over there, it's a much faster alternative to the Q17, and in terms of ridership it certainly isn't a Q79.

If anything, the problem with the Springfield routes are their tendency to bunch a lot. Whenever I'm waiting to change to a Q27 or a Q88 at Hillside and Springfield, it always seems like both routes send their buses in twos and threes.

Right....and those that are waiting for/taking those bunched buses more often than not, pile onto Q27's.

Yeah it (the 88) serves a useful purpose & it isn't Q79 like ridership-wise, but I still don't think it needs to serve as much of Springfield as it does....

How long does it take to reach manhattan from merrick blvd at linden or baisley via Q5 to the (E) If they are timed well?

How fast is x63 as well from those points in queens?

answer both please.

Depends where in manhattan you're talking about....

Right....and those that are waiting for/taking those bunched buses more often than not, pile onto Q27's.

Yeah it (the 88) serves a useful purpose & it isn't Q79 like ridership-wise, but I still don't think it needs to serve as much of Springfield as it does....

Depends where in manhattan you're talking about....

3rd ave or 5th ave corridor in manhattan.