Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

^^^^ Whoever said that (above B35's post) was smoking something real good last night.

1. The X64 has most trips 3/4 full or higher, maybe when ridership changes, change the headways

2. No need to bring the QM21 or X63 in this as this would be something soley about the X64. How do you manage to make the X63 have a completely different route in Queens

3. There is no need for a 4th X68 variation (2AM and 1PM, to 3 AM and 1PM)other than to screw the route up like spaghetti and meatballs.

I personally think the X63 could use midday service, people prefer it than the LIRR, weekdays only.

lol... dude named Frederick Wells or something another, on the NYCTF facebook page.....

Anyway, he's breaking up the x64 for a prolonged x63 down more of merrick (from liberty instead of from linden) & to give hillside, west of 187th/188th more service than what they already have with the x68..... It's supposed to be some sort of compromise to some mention about the MTA looking to discontinue the x64 when ESA happens.....

I've personally never heard of such a thing, up until this point...

Edited by B35 via Church

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sorta have a hunch on who it is, but I've never seen a post by him on a bus forum...

Does anyone know if the stops on the Horace Harding that aren't next to an overpass/underpass (those pedestrian crossings don't count - ugh) actually pick up people? If not, you could probably cut Q88 stops between, say, College Point and 188th to have just the stops next to underpasses and overpasses.

I sorta have a hunch on who it is, but I've never seen a post by him on a bus forum...

Does anyone know if the stops on the Horace Harding that aren't next to an overpass/underpass (those pedestrian crossings don't count - ugh) actually pick up people? If not, you could probably cut Q88 stops between, say, College Point and 188th to have just the stops next to underpasses and overpasses.

Yeah they are used especially during rush hours. The Q17 always has someone wanting to get off during that portion of the Horace Harding Expressway. The Q30 has a few stops that could be cut closer towards little neck, but for the most part they are used. Edited by College Pt Man

I still don't get why they would cut express bus service to force nyc residents onto commuter rail, that is a rumor that I never heard of before. I also get the same feeling that Federick Wells is someone we know on here.

I could understand if x64 had high ridership like x63 or the QM5/6 but it doesn't so cutting it won't have much impact on the commuter rail loads as say cutting BXM7 or bxm1 which are a no go as they have very high ridership and serve parts of the bronx or Manhattan that carry well that are not near MNRR. 

He has the characteristics of some person that is anti bus and pro-rail. It cant be QJ though, he has a different name.

Ok I think I would let you guess I need the entertainment and LULZ. Hint my planning style should give it away but it is not what you think.

Ok I think I would let you guess I need the entertainment and LULZ. Hint my planning style should give it away but it is not what you think.

Hey, this guy had n21 to bronx via expressway proposals, just say it's not you. The X64 having low ridership and thinking that one can out of the blue pay more money and could be discontinued with no one "missing it" is the biggest load of crap I've heard, big enough to clog up ther bermuda triangle, but anyways, not trying to go off topic, but the what I'm trying to say is that the X64 wont go. What do you guys think of implementing X63 midday service (a notice though well into advance to at least get some ridership during the first day of service). 

Hey, this guy had n21 to bronx via expressway proposals, just say it's not you. The X64 having low ridership and thinking that one can out of the blue pay more money and could be discontinued with no one "missing it" is the biggest load of crap I've heard, big enough to clog up ther bermuda triangle, but anyways, not trying to go off topic, but the what I'm trying to say is that the X64 wont go. What do you guys think of implementing X63 midday service (a notice though well into advance to at least get some ridership during the first day of service).

not gonna lie I kinda was thinking about x63 needing midday service but midday trips end at hook creek blvd at merrick blvd. Apparently many don't use x64 cause they don't see the point of it. It's the truth deal with it. Edited by qjtransitmaster

On the subject of Queens express bus routes, given that Baisley Park has only one express bus route and that such requires a separate parts inventory for just those buses...might it be time to consider merging the QM21 into a rerouted X63 route? How it would work is as follows:

During the morning rush, there would be X63 trips beginning from Rosedale operating straight down Merrick Boulevard to Linden Boulevard an X63 trips originating from Springfield Boulevard and Merrick Boulevard that would operate via Farmers Boulevard, Bedell Street, Baisley Boulevard, and Guy R. Brewer Boulevard before meeting the Rosedale branch. There would be one last shoulder trip in the AM that originates from Rosedale but travels via the Rochdale Village service. During the PM rush, the first two trips would go to Rosedale via Rochdale Village...then there would be trips down the separate branches during the rush hour, and then the last PM trip would be Rosedale via Rochdale Village.

(I choose Springfield Boulevard as the cut-in/cut-out point because that is a deadhead route for the X63 and X64.)

I would stop short of midday X63 service, but I do agree that it may need an additional "shoulder" trip or two---that is, another trip just outside the rush hour/

The saved space could be potentially used for a conversion of the Q111/113 to articulated buses.

Edited by aemoreira81

On the subject of Queens express bus routes, given that Baisley Park has only one express bus route and that such requires a separate parts inventory for just those buses...might it be time to consider merging the QM21 into a rerouted X63 route? How it would work is as follows:

During the morning rush, there would be X63 trips beginning from Rosedale operating straight down Merrick Boulevard to Linden Boulevard an X63 trips originating from Springfield Boulevard and Merrick Boulevard that would operate via Farmers Boulevard, Bedell Street, Baisley Boulevard, and Guy R. Brewer Boulevard before meeting the Rosedale branch. There would be one last shoulder trip in the AM that originates from Rosedale but travels via the Rochdale Village service. During the PM rush, the first two trips would go to Rosedale via Rochdale Village...then there would be trips down the separate branches during the rush hour, and then the last PM trip would be Rosedale via Rochdale Village.

(I choose Springfield Boulevard as the cut-in/cut-out point because that is a deadhead route for the X63 and X64.)

I would stop short of midday X63 service, but I do agree that it may need an additional "shoulder" trip or two---that is, another trip just outside the rush hour/

The saved space could be potentially used for a conversion of the Q111/113 to articulated buses.

Dude the X63 doesn't need to go via QM21's routing there to be honest let em take the LIRR obviously people aren't gung ho crazy about the QM21 at least the X63 is fast from it's area cause getting to LIRR from merrick blvd is a bitch in rochdale the station is right there in your face LIRR direct to manhattan of even downtown brooklyn with cross platform transfer to the (2)(3) for lower manhattan. There is a reason why MTA cut reverse service on QM21 it isn't used and ridership is dropping. Let's not    :deadhorse:

Edited by qjtransitmaster

Remember when the Q45 and the Q47 were two separate routes, and you had folks on here (myself included) & other forums suggesting that one or the other be combined with some other route that serves moore (74th st) terminal (including each other; 45/47).... Personally, I always thought that the 45/47 should merge.... At the time, others would bring up other possible combinations that included the 33 or the 49.... Well I've been thinking about something else the MTA might consider combining once the Q70 comes to fruition......

Thanks to the Q70, the two routes the MTA sometime in the future could justify (and be setting up) to combine, is the Q29 with the Q33.... The idea would be to serve the patrons of the residences that the current Q33 serves, to the (7) at 82nd st (instead of 74th or 82nd).... This would take even more buses off of roosevelt (including the NB 29 utilizing roosevelt to get to the terminal on 82nd just south of roosevelt).... In other words, w/ the combination, it wouldn't be a terminal - just another stop along the combined route (due southbound)..... They would sell the direct connection to Queens ctr. mall & QB subways - something they couldn't do w/ the 45/47 merge (think about how hard they were pushing the connection to the sorry excuse of a mall that is Atlas mall).... And if SBS along Woodhaven ever comes to fruition, forget about it......

With the Q33 losing the importance of serving the airport, I can definitely see this happening... It's only a matter of when.

Remember when the Q45 and the Q47 were two separate routes, and you had folks on here (myself included) & other forums suggesting that one or the other be combined with some other route that serves moore (74th st) terminal (including each other; 45/47).... Personally, I always thought that the 45/47 should merge.... At the time, others would bring up other possible combinations that included the 33 or the 49.... Well I've been thinking about something else the MTA might consider combining once the Q70 comes to fruition......

Thanks to the Q70, the two routes the MTA sometime in the future could justify (and be setting up) to combine, is the Q29 with the Q33.... The idea would be to serve the patrons of the residences that the current Q33 serves, to the (7) at 82nd st (instead of 74th or 82nd).... This would take even more buses off of roosevelt (including the NB 29 utilizing roosevelt to get to the terminal on 82nd just south of roosevelt).... In other words, w/ the combination, it wouldn't be a terminal - just another stop along the combined route (due southbound)..... They would sell the direct connection to Queens ctr. mall & QB subways - something they couldn't do w/ the 45/47 merge (think about how hard they were pushing the connection to the sorry excuse of a mall that is Atlas mall).... And if SBS along Woodhaven ever comes to fruition, forget about it......

With the Q33 losing the importance of serving the airport, I can definitely see this happening... It's only a matter of when.

Remember that pdf that DOT proposed the Q33 should be extended to Woodside. The (MTA) took this and made it better. I'm going to say this again. The Q70 shouldn't run all night. Let the 33 serve LGA night hours. I also see a 29/33 merger in the near future as well. And that idiotic Q11 extension to Jackson Heights. SMH. I kind would've adopted that through 31 St but not make it a branch of the Q102.

Remember that pdf that DOT proposed the Q33 should be extended to Woodside. The (MTA) took this and made it better. I'm going to say this again. The Q70 shouldn't run all night. Let the 33 serve LGA night hours. I also see a 29/33 merger in the near future as well. And that idiotic Q11 extension to Jackson Heights. SMH. I kind would've adopted that through 31 St but not make it a branch of the Q102.

Yup, that's what likely kick-started this Q70 too.... Rather than extend 33's, they opted to serve separate riderbases on the 33 with two separate routes (airport riders & non-airport riders).....

facepalm @ Q11 to jackson heights.... I still don't see what that's supposed to solve... You would think the (very high) usage it gets at Queens ctr. mall (and on Hoffman, for the return trip southward) would be enough & would be ideal to want to terminate a route to....

Of course, the disadvantage with this is that you lose the connection to the QB express lines (and for that matter, you're making it much harder to reach the QB lines period, since you're going east and then back west if you're going to Manhattan). Though they might argue that riders could make their way over to the Q32/47/49 if they want direct access to QB.

Of course, the disadvantage with this is that you lose the connection to the QB express lines (and for that matter, you're making it much harder to reach the QB lines period, since you're going east and then back west if you're going to Manhattan). Though they might argue that riders could make their way over to the Q32/47/49 if they want direct access to QB.

From 82nd st, they'd simply mention the fact that the subway connection at 74th (for the QB lines) is "one station away" - As if it's not a hassle to get from the (7) platform to the (E)(F)(M)(R) platform...

Yup, that's what likely kick-started this Q70 too.... Rather than extend 33's, they opted to serve separate riderbases on the 33 with two separate routes (airport riders & non-airport riders).....

facepalm @ Q11 to jackson heights.... I still don't see what that's supposed to solve... You would think the (very high) usage it gets at Queens ctr. mall (and on Hoffman, for the return trip southward) would be enough & would be ideal to want to terminate a route to....

Man them trees was good when DOT smoked them lol. I guess they thought it would provide local service along Broadway in Elmhurst. Let's see other SMH's

The Q66 between LIC and Little Neck

The Q25/65 truncated to Flushing

The Q112 going to Broadway Junction

The Q110 going from Floral Park to Broadway Junction

Man them trees was good when DOT smoked them lol. I guess they thought it would provide local service along Broadway in Elmhurst. Let's see other SMH's

you serious? DOT proposed that? GAWD if that was true then those drugs are STRONG AS HELL.

From 82nd st, they'd simply mention the fact that the subway connection at 74th (for the QB lines) is "one station away" - As if it's not a hassle to get from the (7) platform to the (E)(F)(M)(R) platform...

By that logic, let's cut the B83 back to Liberty Avenue on the (C), and cut the Q56 back to Alabama Avenue on the (J). Who cares if they have to climb all those stairs to get to the other lines? (Obviously, not an exact analogy, but it's the first one that came to mind)

I mean, it's not the worst idea, but I can picture them resorting to a crappy defense like the example you gave. (The same way they did with the Q33/70. "Oh, serving that one stop inside LGA would be too hard". SMH.)

you serious? DOT proposed that? GAWD if that was true then those drugs are STRONG AS HELL.

Check out the report and see for yourself. Q23 posted it a few days ago in the Bus-Random Thoughts thread.

Man them trees was good when DOT smoked them lol. I guess they thought it would provide local service along Broadway in Elmhurst.

Let's see other SMH's

Having long winded routes like that makes it easier for the DOT - all they gotta do is just stay on one street changing bus stop signage & what not.... LMAO !

By that logic, let's cut the B83 back to Liberty Avenue on the (C), and cut the Q56 back to Alabama Avenue on the (J). Who cares if they have to climb all those stairs to get to the other lines? (Obviously, not an exact analogy, but it's the first one that came to mind)

I mean, it's not the worst idea, but I can picture them resorting to a crappy defense like the example you gave.

(The same way they did with the Q33/70. "Oh, serving that one stop inside LGA would be too hard". SMH.)

It's (the crappy defense) already been resorted to... Albeit not with those 2 routes, but it's funny you bring up Alabama av - because that's exactly what I was thinking of in my last post when this actual defense (paraphrased) arose:

Extend the B12 short turn trips to Broadway Junction

- Nope, Alabama av (J) is good enough - it's 'one station away' from Broadway Junction

(of course, this was before they cut the route back from liberty/sheridan)....

Riders have been clamoring for that for decades; wouldn't doubt you have those that still do so to this day)

It's ha Brooklyn Division route---but I think that the Q55 could use some better connections, especially on its eastern end, where it ends in a residential area. To that end, I would extend the Q55 along Jamaica Avenue (to serve Jamaica Hospital) and have it end at the LIRR/AirTrain station in Jamaica, which would place both ends of the route in transit hubs.

It's a Brooklyn Division route---but I think that the Q55 could use some better connections, especially on its eastern end, where it ends in a residential area. To that end, I would extend the Q55 along Jamaica Avenue (to serve Jamaica Hospital) and have it end at the LIRR/AirTrain station in Jamaica, which would place both ends of the route in transit hubs.

On RD, this was proposed when the Q56 was up for elimination. Where would 55's layover in this scenario?