Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Extending Q60's to Columbus Circle would be a great way to exacerbate the bunching problem it currently has, on top of making it unreliable..... As far as ridership goes, I doubt many Queens riders would ride said buses to the west side; you'd have more manhattanites utilizing such a service to get to the west side.....

With the 57th st routes (M31, M57), there's really no need for a 59th st crosstown.....

Our 59th Street Crosstown is basically called the Q32.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the notion that B35 & bobtehpanda stated about renaming routes.... there ain't a reason to do it tbh.

Now about a Q60 to the West Side... Nah. There is a LOT of traffic in that part of town... its gonna exacerbate the bunching/delays problem that troubles the Q60 today. 

I, personally think there should be more short turns (I think there are a very small amount that terminate at 33 St (7) station, iirc.)

If there are more short turns added, have them terminate at 33rd or Queens Plaza or 46 St (7) or even QCM. I think it may fix the problem.

Our 59th Street Crosstown is basically called the Q32.

lol.... I get what you're sayin, but no one really uses the Q32 as a crosstown though.... After it turns off madison, the route becomes rather useless for manhattanites.... You're gonna see nothing but pickups after that point (after that stop on 59th/madison)....

Manhattan bound, the route tends to empty out (of Queens folks) at Lex... You'll have the stragglers (manhattan riders) that'll utilize the route along its stint on 5th (seldom see too many pickups along 60th).... Interesting dynamic I've noticed w/ the Q32 is that you tend to see more riders w/i manhattan utilize Queens bound buses, compared to riders w/i manhattan utilizing penn station bound buses.....

I agree with the notion that B35 & bobtehpanda stated about renaming routes.... there ain't a reason to do it tbh.

Now about a Q60 to the West Side... Nah. There is a LOT of traffic in that part of town... its gonna exacerbate the bunching/delays problem that troubles the Q60 today. 

I, personally think there should be more short turns (I think there are a very small amount that terminate at 33 St (7) station, iirc.)

If there are more short turns added, have them terminate at 33rd or Queens Plaza or 46 St (7) or even QCM. I think it may fix the problem.

- yep, I don't get all crazy w/ renumerating bus routes.... For what....

- Not sure if you saw the post, but Q43LTD mentioned/hinted towards something similar like 2 days ago in this thread....

He rhetorically inquired about Q60's ridership if it were to be cut back to Queens plz... You mention short turns being a possible remedy....

Of course, the difference b/w the two is that w/ short turns, service would still be retained to Manhattan....

Then the question becomes, how many trips would/should short turn at Queens plz, or 33rd (7), or 46th (7).....

Like I told Q43, the dilemma is the sheer amt. of folks taking Q60's along QB under the (7) (or even from along QB, points east of Roosevelt... which is somewhat surprising) to the 1 stop in Manhattan.... I'm not sure what can aid in rectifying the bunching situation w/ the Q60... If it didn't garner as many manhattan folks, yeh, short turning mad trips to QBP or w/e would have been done (by the MTA, IMO).....

If anything, the WMATA bus map is the logical conclusion of "letter/number every branch", and you can't even tell where the bus routes go.

I know. That is why I only would use the metro there. I mean what the hell is the "V7" bus route?

Can you imagine if we still had Q5, 5A, 5AB, 5S, 44A, 44VP, 44FS, 12A, 4A, 19A, 19B, 65A and 101R?

Yeah what about the Q20A/B?

You forgot the (A)

I know but I didn't include it because there's an extra stop if you take it there.

I wouldn't short turn the buses. There are a lot of people that use the Q60 to 2 Avenue, too many to short turn some buses. I in fact think it should be extended (only) three blocks to Lexington Avenue and layover between 59 and 60 Streets to provide connections to the (4)(5)(6). Also the bunching problems on the Q60 could be fixed by adding SBS and bus lanes.

Except changing a bus number isn't an improvement of anything...

If anything, you're making the bus system more complex - I take it you haven't seen one of the 80's era bus maps with numbered branches?

People can read destination signs on the tops of buses. It's perfectly fine as it is.

Well tell that to the people who constantly take the wrong (A) train :lol: !

While both branches are running, I often see College Pt-bound Q20As turn into Jamaica-bound Q20Bs. It's more of a loop route than anything.

The difference between one and the other is that the (A) is a very busy route that carries a lot of people, and with only one branch serving Howard Beach-JFK, you're going to wind up with a lot of confused tourists who may not all read and write English.

There are no tourists on the Q1, and there are very few non-regulars who take the Q1, and on top of that it's not all that frequent. So the whole branch confusion thing is much less of an issue because the Q1 carries less people to the ends of its branches. (The Q20A and Q20B, on the other hand, have heavier ridership out in College Point, so the differentiation is necessary.

Speaking of the Q20a/b....

I'm probably gonna open pandora's box with this one, but I have yet to see anyone mention renaming the 20b to something else.....

The consensus for the 20a/b (for the most part) over the years, is to get rid of the 20b & drop the 'a' from the 20a (to have it be just the "Q20").....

Also surprised that no one I've seen around the boards mention renumerating the x17 branches either......

I'm probably gonna open pandora's box with this one, but I have yet to see anyone mention renaming the 20b to something else.....

The consensus for the 20a/b (for the most part) over the years, is to get rid of the 20b & drop the 'a' from the 20a (to have it be just the "Q20").....

Also surprised that no one I've seen around the boards mention renumerating the x17 branches either......

I would actually prefer that the Q20A be cut and the Q20B become the full route...

20 Av is a pedestrian wasteland (all those big box stores and their humongous parking lots) that can be accessed via other bus lines (and is also served by the Q76), but 14 Av is a residential area that is physically cut off by the old Flushing Airport grounds (which the big box stores are part of). Having frequented the area for two summers, I would definitely say that the Q20B is more of a 'lifeline' route than the Q20A, although with frequencies where they are right now, most people in the Q20B catchment area just walk to another bus - walking is faster than the Q20B with the frequencies it's running at.

In any case, the Q20A and Q20B often interline (and also serve the exact same terminal), so it's not as if they're wholly unrelated branches that require separate numbers.

Actually I have been thinking about eliminating the Q20a and dropping the b so it is just Q20. 14 Avenue needs coverage. I would then extend the Q76 to the Q20 terminal along 20 Avenue and College Point Boulevard to replace the Q20a. Getting rid of the Q20b only eliminates coverage on 14 Avenue which is a bad thing.

Edited by Q90

I know. That is why I only would use the metro there. I mean what the hell is the "V7" bus route?

I know but I didn't include it because there's an extra stop if you take it there.

I wouldn't short turn the buses. There are a lot of people that use the Q60 to 2 Avenue, too many to short turn some buses. I in fact think it should be extended (only) three blocks to Lexington Avenue and layover between 59 and 60 Streets to provide connections to the (4)(5)(6). Also the bunching problems on the Q60 could be fixed by adding SBS and bus lanes.

Adding SBS and bus lanes on Queens Blvd? Ha !

good luck with that.... NIMBYs aren't gonna like losing their parking. There is loads of parking spots on Queens Blvd, even if it is a big stretch of road.

Also, the route doesn't even have a LIMITED.... ain't no way its gonna get an SBS

Edited by Astoria Line

Adding SBS and bus lanes on Queens Blvd? Ha !

good luck with that.... NIMBYs aren't gonna like losing their parking. There is loads of parking spots on Queens Blvd, even if it is a big stretch of road.

Also, the route doesn't even have a LIMITED.... ain't no way its gonna get an SBS

LOL f**k NIMBYS! Why do they live here if they can't stand urban planning!

The x17 branches are rush hr only. X17j is Richmond midtown express A is downtown express. X19 andx17 J run in x17A's place past ETC at rush. As super express so there is little to no duplication on the X17 shockingly. Q20 is well ignored most of the time hence why no mention.

LOL f**k NIMBYS! Why do they live here if they can't stand urban planning!

queens Blvd has fast service to Manhattan it's called the (E) & (F) and (M)(R) trains and the (7)

The x17 branches are rush hr only. X17j is Richmond midtown express A is downtown express. X19 andx17 J run in x17A's place past ETC at rush. As super express so there is little to no duplication on the X17 shockingly. Q20 is well ignored most of the time hence why no mention.

queens Blvd has fast service to Manhattan it's called the (E) & (F) and (M)(R) trains and the (7).

The Queens Boulevard Line is unreliable as it is overcrowded and the (R) train = (R) uns like shit. Also they only serve Queens Boulevard between Grand Avenue/Broadway and the Van Wyck. Also none of the QBL lines go to Midtown 2 Avenue.

The Queens Boulevard Line is unreliable as it is overcrowded and the (R) train = (R) uns like shit. Also they only serve Queens Boulevard between Grand Avenue/Broadway and the Van Wyck. Also none of the QBL lines go to Midtown 2 Avenue.

However you can get to 2nd ave faster than the Q60 regardless. Even the (R) is quicker than the Q60 if you get the (M) instead you are a short walk from 2nd ave.

You can take any one of those 4 trains to the (6) which is like 2 blocks away

...or just take the (R) itself to Lex-59

At least the Q60 is much more frequent.

You mean to say it frequently bunches up. Who is going to take a bus from Jamaica, Kew Garden, Forest Hills and or Rego Park to Manhattan and its a local bus. Not even Express just Local with No Limited. The train will beat the bus there by a good 20-25 minutes.

You mean to say it frequently bunches up. Who is going to take a bus from Jamaica, Kew Garden, Forest Hills and or Rego Park to Manhattan and its a local bus. Not even Express just Local with No Limited. The train will beat the bus there by a good 20-25 minutes.

He also meant to say that it frequently gets into traffic. We all know that the Queens Center Mall area is devoid of traffic, especially on weekends . . . not.

Brewer Boulevard services in the Rockaways:

Recognizing that the service to the Rockaways is often unreliable and subject to delays, especially in the Five Towns area, and a need to segregate shorter-distance riders from longer-distance riders, I would reformat Q113 service during the rush hours as follows:

1. During the rush hour, Q113 local service would originate from the Mott Avenue/Far Rockaway (A) station.

2. Q113 Limited service would make all local stops between Seagirt Boulevard and the subway, then operate all limited service.

3. Q114 "Super Limited" service that would operate in the peak direction only (to Jamaica AM, from Jamaica PM). Stops on this service would be as follows northbound (reverse for southbound):

1. Seagirt Boulevard and Crest Road

2. Seagirt Boulevard and Beach 17 Street

3. Seagirt Boulevard and Beach 9 Street

Then, express via NY 878 and Rockaway Boulevard to:

4. Guy R. Brewer Boulevard and Farmers Boulevard

5. Guy R. Brewer Boulevard and 137 Avenue

6. Guy R. Brewer Boulevard and 130 Avenue

(Stops 5 and 6 serve Rochdale Village)

Then nonstop via Brewer, Linden, and Sutphin Boulevard to:

7. Jamaica LIRR/AirTrain (E)(J)(Z)

Then all local stops along the Q6/8/9/41 to 165 Street Terminal.

The reason for choosing Sutphin instead of Archer is to bypass congestion along upper Brewer and Archer. I would run this from Far Rockaway, and have the drivers pull in midday to JFK Depot.