Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i considered your b48 extension there but how should the headways go on that branch?

Well, I wasn't asking you to consider my changes, but nonetheless, a B48 running up there every 30 mins. should suffice......

Here's what I think the Q103 should look like

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004e676975955aaf74a9&msa=0

Not Included: 

The Q102 now would terminate in Steinway (the Q103 would cover the Q102 route).

- You would really subject buses to making that left off hoyt onto 31st..... Interesting (and not in a good way either)...

I think Astoria Blvd subway is a poor place to terminate a bus route around....

- Terminating buses at Graham av (L) seems very arbitrary....

- Any particular reason you would overserve steinway (the neighborhood) like that?

The 101 already ends over there & it already brings ppl b/w steinway & the QBP area.....

Well, I wasn't asking you to consider my changes, but nonetheless, a B48 running up there every 30 mins. should suffice......

- You would really subject buses to making that left off hoyt onto 31st..... Interesting (and not in a good way either)...

I think Astoria Blvd subway is a poor place to terminate a bus route around....

- Terminating buses at Graham av (L) seems very arbitrary....

- Any particular reason you would overserve steinway (the neighborhood) like that?

The 101 already ends over there & it already brings ppl b/w steinway & the QBP area.....

Well I thought if the 102 just came, they could take that bus as well.

I updated my map though, instead of the Q101 terminal, it would terminate at the Q69 terminal at 82 street. 

The Q103 would terminate at 30 Avenue station (but would still serve Astoria Blvd Station).

Also, as well, the Q103 would terminate at Bedford Avenue (L).

The B62 often is late, so the Q103 would actually terminate there because there's more of a problem on the northern end of the route then the south (the southern portion has more alternatives). The Q103 is also reliable, so that, in factoring with the time schedule given (would give a 60 minute cycle) would be enough time at either terminal in case a Q103 is late by a few minutes.

It reduces deadheading, as well as:

1. Leaving Several Q69 buses not as full as it normal would arriving at 21 street, so the flagging issue there stops

2. Increases the usefulness of the Q102

3. Alleviates bus space

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Q23, I'll get to your post sometime later....

would the same headways it suffice also for the meeker branch?

Absolutely not.

Intra Brooklyn B48's would obviously have lower headways than every 1/2 hour...

(What you're asking here, is the same thing as asking - Does the current B48 deserve more service than every 30 mins)

Edited by B35 via Church

Here's a proposal different flow

QM1- All off peak service eliminated

QM4- Extended to 188 street Middays

Additional Stops

Utopia Pkwy/ LIE

Utopia Pkwy/73 Avenue

73 Avenue/ 182 street

73 Avenue/ 188 street

69 Avenue/188 street

64 Avenue/188 street

Service to 188 street would run from 9 AM to 5 PM approximately

And a map

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004e69c25bfb83ae9d49&msa=0&ll=40.737893,-73.828812&spn=0.090918,0.209255

QM1: Service to 188 street (From 36 street)

4:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Service to 57 street (From 188 street)

6:10 AM to 9:40 AM

QM4: Service to 188 Street (From 36 street)

9:50 AM to 2:50 PM

Service to 36 street (From 188 street)

9:35 AM to 4:35 PM

In addition, evening and weekend QM6's would run on the QM4 route until 164 street, then on 164 street to Union Tpke, then regular route.

The last QM4 from Manhattan would be at 6:50 PM

The Last QM4 to Manhattan would leave 164 street at 6:00 PM.

The First QM6 to Lake Success via the QM4/QM6 combo (from 36 street) would leave at 7:45 PM

The last QM6 to Lake Success  via the QM4/QM6 Combo (from 36 street) would leave at 12:40 AM

The first QM6 to Manhattan via the QM4/QM6 combo would leave Lake Success at 6:30 PM

The Last QM6 to Manhattan via the QM4/QM6 combo would leave Lake Success at 12:30 AM

(Overall, it means more service to and from Manhattan along Jewel Avenue).

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Here's a proposal different flow

QM1- All off peak service eliminated

QM4- Extended to 188 street Middays

Additional Stops

Utopia Pkwy/ LIE

Utopia Pkwy/73 Avenue

73 Avenue/ 182 street

73 Avenue/ 188 street

69 Avenue/188 street

64 Avenue/188 street

Service to 188 street would run from 9 AM to 5 PM approximately

And a map

https://www.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204750700533050976010.0004e69c25bfb83ae9d49&msa=0&ll=40.737893,-73.828812&spn=0.090918,0.209255

QM1: Service to 188 street (From 36 street)

4:00 PM to 7:00 PM

Service to 57 street (From 188 street)

6:10 AM to 9:40 AM

QM4: Service to 188 Street (From 36 street)

9:50 AM to 2:50 PM

Service to 36 street (From 188 street)

9:35 AM to 4:35 PM

In addition, evening and weekend QM6's would run on the QM4 route until 164 street, then on 164 street to Union Tpke, then regular route.

The last QM4 from Manhattan would be at 6:50 PM

The Last QM4 to Manhattan would leave 164 street at 6:00 PM.

The First QM6 to Lake Success via the QM4/QM6 combo (from 36 street) would leave at 7:45 PM

The last QM6 to Lake Success  via the QM4/QM6 Combo (from 36 street) would leave at 12:40 AM

The first QM6 to Manhattan via the QM4/QM6 combo would leave Lake Success at 6:30 PM

The Last QM6 to Manhattan via the QM4/QM6 combo would leave Lake Success at 12:30 AM

(Overall, it means more service to and from Manhattan along Jewel Avenue).

The real issue is: would one bus an hour be appropriate on Union Turnpike? I'm not sure that I'd be ready to sacrifice Jewel Avenue service for Union Turnpike service...they are distinct corridors. 

reviving the q14 to atone for the attempt of covering a service loss that is the q15a, would be interlined with the q15

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e6c68eb9a16e9f0bf

option 2 extending the q34 along the q14 old route

another option to make up for the service elimnation for the q14 instead of the failed attempt known as the q15A on weekends the q34 will run from only to flushing instead of the full route to Jamaica, transfer to q25 for full trips to Jamaica

reviving the q14 to atone for the attempt of covering a service loss that is the q15a, would be interlined with the q15

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e6c68eb9a16e9f0bf

another option to make up for the service elimnation for the q14 instead of the failed attempt known as the q15A on weekends the q34 will run from only to flushing instead of the full route to Jamaica, transfer to q25 for full trips to Jamaica

crap i forgot to post the link to the proposal!

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e6d4331e0b2f953ff

Well I thought if the 102 just came, they could take that bus as well.

I updated my map though, instead of the Q101 terminal, it would terminate at the Q69 terminal at 82 street. 

The Q103 would terminate at 30 Avenue station (but would still serve Astoria Blvd Station).

Also, as well, the Q103 would terminate at Bedford Avenue (L).

The B62 often is late, so the Q103 would actually terminate there because there's more of a problem on the northern end of the route then the south (the southern portion has more alternatives). The Q103 is also reliable, so that, in factoring with the time schedule given (would give a 60 minute cycle) would be enough time at either terminal in case a Q103 is late by a few minutes.

It reduces deadheading, as well as:

1. Leaving Several Q69 buses not as full as it normal would arriving at 21 street, so the flagging issue there stops

2. Increases the usefulness of the Q102

3. Alleviates bus space

Q102: See, you're running into a problem that several of us (myself included) are having, with suggesting a 31st st route... That is, where it should terminate on the NB end.... I had an idea (don't remember the route or where I had it going on the opposite end) that had buses ending at Ditmars Blvd subway & said t'hell with it..... But yeah, looking at your modification, your Q102 resembles a 31st st version of the Q69 that runs to roosevelt island....

Q103: I said in your 1st rendition that Graham av (L) as a terminal was very arbitrary, and I'm saying the same thing about ending em at Bedford av (L).... Neither of which are great places to terminate a bus.... iono, I suppose if you wanted to serve that area, you can end em somewhere along kent or something; while still maintaining a connection to (Bedford) (L)....

I had another point I wanted to make about the route when I first saw your revision...

Now I remember.... What exactly is the route doing up there around Astoria?

since this is a queens route in manhattan,

i had an idea which some might think i might be nuts for,  what would some of you say routing the q32 going to queens off of 5th ave onto 6th ave  5th ave stays the same.

what say you guys 

I says, ridership would be noticeably & immediately lost by putting the northbound Q32 on 6th, as opposed to keeping it on madison....

You would just have (more) riders flocking to F's, N's, and R's & less riders taking Q32's to get to Queens (in general).....

It's not a matter of being "nuts" - the fact of the matter is, that such a shift of NB service on that route would loom largely detrimental....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=218345366120084192601.0004e6d4331e0b2f953ff

option 1: Personally, I don't mind the 15a... It seems like it's more utilized than the old 14 was....

option 2: I don't necessarily agree or disagree, but I wouldn't bother.....

If not for leaving the 25 & 34 alone, what I thought up a while back was to have the:

- Q25 as 1 service b/w LIRR Jamaica & College point (with increased headways)

- Q34 as a rush hour only variant b/w HHE/Kissena & ft totten ([via current Q34 at & north of HHE/Kissena] & [via willets point blvd, towards ft totten])....

Q102: See, you're running into a problem that several of us (myself included) are having, with suggesting a 31st st route... That is, where it should terminate on the NB end.... I had an idea (don't remember the route or where I had it going on the opposite end) that had buses ending at Ditmars Blvd subway & said t'hell with it..... But yeah, looking at your modification, your Q102 resembles a 31st st version of the Q69 that runs to roosevelt island....

Q103: I said in your 1st rendition that Graham av (L) as a terminal was very arbitrary, and I'm saying the same thing about ending em at Bedford av (L).... Neither of which are great places to terminate a bus.... iono, I suppose if you wanted to serve that area, you can end em somewhere along kent or something; while still maintaining a connection to (Bedford) (L)....

I had another point I wanted to make about the route when I first saw your revision...

I says, ridership would be noticeably & immediately lost by putting the northbound Q32 on 6th, as opposed to keeping it on madison....

You would just have (more) riders flocking to F's, N's, and R's & less riders taking Q32's to get to Queens (in general).....

It's not a matter of being "nuts" - the fact of the matter is, that such a shift of NB service on that route would loom largely detrimental....

option 1: Personally, I don't mind the 15a... It seems like it's more utilized than the old 14 was....

If not for leaving the 25 & 34 alone, what I thought up a while back was to have the:

- Q34 as a rush hour only variant b/w HHE/Kissena & ft totten ([via current Q34 at & north of HHE/Kissena] & [via willets point blvd, towards ft totten])....

On the Q34 to Fort Totten, I wonder if it should be made a full-time route, with a weekday extension to Jamaica. In this, the Q16 would have its Willets Point Boulevard variant eliminated, with all service only servicing Bayside via Utopia Parkway. Five stops along Francis Lewis Boulevard would lose service to Flushing, but the question is: how many riders use those stops? It is also pretty rare that a corridor have express bus service but no corresponding local route. The Q16 route would also have only one routing and constant 20-minute headways along Utopia outside of the rush hour.

I had my 31 St route ending where the 101 ends.

On the Q34 to Fort Totten, I wonder if it should be made a full-time route, with a weekday extension to Jamaica. In this, the Q16 would have its Willets Point Boulevard variant eliminated, with all service only servicing Bayside via Utopia Parkway. Five stops along Francis Lewis Boulevard would lose service to Flushing, but the question is: how many riders use those stops? It is also pretty rare that a corridor have express bus service but no corresponding local route. The Q16 route would also have only one routing and constant 20-minute headways along Utopia outside of the rush hour.

- If said Q34 were to be extended to Jamaica on weekdays, it's suggesting the same thing as extending the current 34 to ft totten

(which I don't agree with; Jamaica - Ft Totten via Flushing).....

The point of cutting 34's in said suggested manner would be to enhance the current 25/25LTD service levels (which I have to say, sorely/surely needs it)... While the 34 (b/w ft totten & HHE/Kissena) would be relegated to more or less, coverage headways (service to be no greater than 15 mins. & no worse than 30 mins. during any part of the day).... Taking over the willets pt. branch of the Q16 would've been an effect of such a 34 change I've mentioned....

Map of what the Q16 & what the 34 would've done.

* The Franny Lou stops in that part of Queens mostly get utilized by schoolkids that take the Q76 to northern, or the 76 to some point south of northern.... not to say that no patrons (residents)/schoolkids take the 16 towards flushing, but it's not the majority, to answer/opinionate on your question....

- As far as what you say about express/local counterparts, I suppose you can look at it like that... I personally put no stock into it though...

- If said Q34 were to be extended to Jamaica on weekdays, it's suggesting the same thing as extending the current 34 to ft totten

(which I don't agree with; Jamaica - Ft Totten via Flushing).....

The point of cutting 34's in said suggested manner would be to enhance the current 25/25LTD service levels (which I have to say, sorely/surely needs it)... While the 34 (b/w ft totten & HHE/Kissena) would be relegated to more or less, coverage headways (service to be no greater than 15 mins. & no worse than 30 mins. during any part of the day).... Taking over the willets pt. branch of the Q16 would've been an effect of such a 34 change I've mentioned....

Map of what the Q16 & what the 34 would've done.

* The Franny Lou stops in that part of Queens mostly get utilized by schoolkids that take the Q76 to northern, or the 76 to some point south of northern.... not to say that no patrons (residents)/schoolkids take the 16 towards flushing, but it's not the majority, to answer/opinionate on your question....

- As far as what you say about express/local counterparts, I suppose you can look at it like that... I personally put no stock into it though...

Looking at your map, I would just slightly tweak your Q34 and extend it to Jewel, partially because of easier turnarounds, and partially because Kissena/HHE is just not a very pleasant intersection to have to use. Plus, better coverage of Queens College.

Kissena southbound > Melbourne Av >152 St > Jewel > Kissena northbound

Looking at your map, I would just slightly tweak your Q34 and extend it to Jewel, partially because of easier turnarounds, and partially because Kissena/HHE is just not a very pleasant intersection to have to use. Plus, better coverage of Queens College.

+1...

Yup..... Back when I did, I wasn't thinking about connecting the truncated 34 with the 64 (or making turnarounds easier, tbh)...

The focus years ago with that 34 suggestion was enhancing 25 service & secondly, a method of (trying to) controlling rush hour crowds on the 17 & the 25 b/w HHE/Kissena & (the heart of) Flushing....

Today, I would just leave the 25 & 34 alone.

I would just eliminate the Q34 from Kissena Blvd period. It only runs three bus per hour during rush hour anyway.

I would just add all the runs via Kissena blvd to the Q25 a designate it as Flushing Main Sta

Eliminate the Q34 from Kissena Blvd period, or Eliminate the Q34, period?

It sounds like you're suggesting the latter.....

You think Q17 can be sped up by taking it off kissena/HHE and having it on Parsons Blvd and 46th ave?

Why not just replace Q74 with it.

You think Q17 can be sped up by taking it off kissena/HHE and having it on Parsons Blvd and 46th ave?

Why not just replace Q74 with it.

I will say no, because HHE is a wider street with a 40 mph speed limit. 46/Holly is a narrow street. Additionally, you need an east-west route between 46 Avenue and Union Turnpike.

Edited by aemoreira81

Would it replace the discontinued Q14 in the process? Or just leave at Williets Point and 149

I'm not sure of this myself. I was also thinking about eliminating the Q34 all together and have the Q20B serve via Linden and 32st and to College Pt but then those few blocks the Q34 serves has no coverage so I was thinking the Q16 could continue up on union st to Willets Pt Blvd and continue to 150st and then go down to bayside Ave but then that will create more problems and a indirect trip. I've only rode the Q34 from its last stop once and it was me and one other person that got on until Union st. I think the Q34 can be eliminated entirely because most of the ridership it gets is from the Q25 and Q44/Q20. With its delays along kissena and runs on a 20 -25 minute schedules it makes it very useless and the part above flushing only see about a few people getting off and that is basically on union st.

I'm not sure of this myself. I was also thinking about eliminating the Q34 all together and have the Q20B serve via Linden and 32st and to College Pt but then those few blocks the Q34 serves has no coverage so I was thinking the Q16 could continue up on union st to Willets Pt Blvd and continue to 150st and then go down to bayside Ave but then that will create more problems and a indirect trip. I've only rode the Q34 from its last stop once and it was me and one other person that got on until Union st. I think the Q34 can be eliminated entirely because most of the ridership it gets is from the Q25 and Q44/Q20. With its delays along kissena and runs on a 20 -25 minute schedules it makes it very useless and the part above flushing only see about a few people getting off and that is basically on union st.

Well having Q34 serve willets point Blvd will add service to a corridor that only sees the QM20. Which can increase ridership for the route having it replace Q74 would take pressure off Q44&25.

I will say no, because HHE is a wider street with a 40 mph speed limit. 46/Holly is a narrow street. Additionally, you need an east-west route between 46 Avenue and Union Turnpike.

Doesn't Q88 do that?