Queens Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

Q43LTD

Q38:

The Q38 would have 30 minute headways throughout the entire day on Saturdays and Sundays (currently, the Q38 runs every 20 minutes on Saturdays, and 20 minutes during the PM hours on Sundays). There isn't really a big demand for the Q38 with 20 minute headways. A uniform 30 minute would have buses more packed (but not as packed to the point that buses will be full). At most, buses would be SRO. In return, a Sunday 8:00 AM trip would be added. 

Weekdays, the Q38 would run every 15 minutes from 5 AM to 6:30 AM, then every 10 minutes until 9 AM. The Q38 would run every 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes on middays from 9 AM to 2 PM. From 2 PM, it would run every 15 minutes til 4 PM, then run every 10 minutes until 6 PM, then run every 12 minutes until 7 PM, and run every 30 minutes from there until bus service ends.

For all the complaining you've done about the Q38 on this board, you're sitting up here advocating cuts?

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the complaining you've done about the Q38 on this board, you're sitting up here advocating cuts?

The only complaints I've had about the Q38 are the frequency (rush hours), earlier service (on sundays), and the bunching of buses. I personally don't mind the 30 minute headways, as long as the bus comes on schedule most of the time. I also think running the Q38 every 20 minutes is a bit too frequent on Saturdays. It should run every 30 minutes, so then there would be better loads per bus, as long as they fix the (flawed) schedule. While I'm taking away service on the Q38 on the weekends, I'm adding more Q38 service during the rush hours. The buses also get very full starting at 2 PM, but run every 20 minutes. Most of them have no room, so more bus would ease out the problems. It's gotten better, but during the midday hours, you have a combination of buses running ahead of time and behind time. 

On Weekends, besides the segments from 99 street/ 57 Avenue to about 74 street/Eliot Avenue, and from Metro Mall to 63 Drive, ridership on the Q38 is pretty low. Even with the 63 Drive and Woodhaven Blvd subway stations as major ridership generators, on the weekends, for the most part, there isn't a huge amount of people there. In the afternoon, maybe you'll see more people, but for the most part, it's really smooth (as in terms of crowds) in the afternoon. If you ever ride the Q38 from 69 street/ Eliot Avenue to 75 Pl/Juniper Valley Road, you know what I mean. 

During the midday, there are more people , so the 20 minute headways on the Q38 could be kept, because some buses are a hit or a miss (and with good reasons as well).

The only complaints I've had about the Q38 are the frequency (rush hours), earlier service (on sundays), and the bunching of buses. I personally don't mind the 30 minute headways, as long as the bus comes on schedule most of the time. I also think running the Q38 every 20 minutes is a bit too frequent on Saturdays. It should run every 30 minutes, so then there would be better loads per bus, as long as they fix the (flawed) schedule. While I'm taking away service on the Q38 on the weekends, I'm adding more Q38 service during the rush hours. The buses also get very full starting at 2 PM, but run every 20 minutes. Most of them have no room, so more bus would ease out the problems. It's gotten better, but during the midday hours, you have a combination of buses running ahead of time and behind time. 

On Weekends, besides the segments from 99 street/ 57 Avenue to about 74 street/Eliot Avenue, and from Metro Mall to 63 Drive, ridership on the Q38 is pretty low. Even with the 63 Drive and Woodhaven Blvd subway stations as major ridership generators, on the weekends, for the most part, there isn't a huge amount of people there. In the afternoon, maybe you'll see more people, but for the most part, it's really smooth (as in terms of crowds) in the afternoon. If you ever ride the Q38 from 69 street/ Eliot Avenue to 75 Pl/Juniper Valley Road, you know what I mean. 

During the midday, there are more people , so the 20 minute headways on the Q38 could be kept, because some buses are a hit or a miss (and with good reasons as well).

Yes, I know how the route is used, but I'm not exactly buying the validity of why you're suggesting this for the Q38 all of a sudden.....

Fess up, You're advocating for Q38 cuts so that service can be added elsewhere within the system....

So for which route is it  :lol:

Over the years

In 2012, the X17 (Sunday) , and X27 (Saturday+Sunday). On the MTA Bus side, the most recent change was the QM15 in 2008 (from the rediculous 10:00 AM trip to Manhattan and 4:00 PM trip to Queens only to a 7 AM-6 PM to Queens and from 8:49 AM-6:49 PM to Queens) on Saturdays, and the addition of full time service on weekdays (5 AM-6 PM in 2008 compared to 5 AM- 11:30 AM post-2008, and from 9:49 AM to 11:15 PM in 2008, compared to 12:30 PM-8:15 PM post 2008).

Those were one of the few that had ridership gains and they serve areas where alternative service sucks however QM24 can use more trips. X27 vs (R) Nuff said.

Yes, I know how the route is used, but I'm not exactly buying the validity of why you're suggesting this for the Q38 all of a sudden.....

Fess up, You're advocating for Q38 cuts so that service can be added elsewhere within the system....

So for which route is it  :lol:

Probably was a rhethoric question, but no, the Q38 gets overserved (specifically on Saturdays). I think the changes will be cost-neutral, because I'm eliminating service from the Q38, but I'm adding service during peak periods, and Sundays, so it balances it out.

Those were one of the few that had ridership gains and they serve areas where alternative service sucks however QM24 can use more trips. X27 vs  (R) Nuff said.

Options are obviously not flamboyant here. The only route with reasonable headways in Middle Village is the Q29. Whenever I head to the city, I take the BM5 or the QM15, then come back on the QM15 or QM24, because I'm not gonna waist my time dealing with the 100 minuter wait of doom for the (R). Whenever I don't go to the city, I go trek to the unreliable Q38 to the (M)  (it runs more frequent and reliable in shuttle form). However to Midtown, it's a crapload of transfers. That's why Saturday service and off peak service should run on the QM24 at the very least. 

And yeah, in Bay Ridge, forget the (R)

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

Probably was a rhethoric question, but no, the Q38 gets overserved (specifically on Saturdays). I think the changes will be cost-neutral, because I'm eliminating service from the Q38, but I'm adding service during peak periods, and Sundays, so it balances it out.

...and on the Q67 huh  :lol:

...and on the Q67 huh :lol:

While the Q67 has LI Bus headways, I really don't mind the headways (30 minute headways I think would be too frequent). As long as the bus comes, it's good. I should've made myself clearer, in the case that all service that is taken away from the 38 during the evenings and weekends would be re-added during rush hours, and early Saturday/Sunday Hours.

Now that the Q67 is brought upon, the Q67 needs to have less time given on Weekends. The route could easily do the route in 31 minutes even with passengers (there's 40 given). Rerouting the Q67 on Jackson Avenue (during the weekend hours) would save more time, enough for only one bus to be needed (instead of two).

.....Now that the Q67 is brought upon, the Q67 needs to have less time given on Weekends. The route could easily do the route in 31 minutes even with passengers (there's 40 given). Rerouting the Q67 on Jackson Avenue (during the weekend hours) would save more time, enough for only one bus to be needed (instead of two).

In other words, the Q67's ridership is so abysmal on weekends that you're suggesting less runtime be given to it.... That's basically all you're saying with this.... I would leave 2 buses on weekends on the route though; I think 1 bus for the Q67 is pushing it...

Which leads me to this question:

Which routes in the system only operate 1 bus throughout the day?

It would also have to be very short. Perhaps one of the very short routes out of Jamaica (the Q42?)

Nah, the Q42 has two (could use one) because the very early morning buses depart both Terminals at the same time (the first Q42 to St Albans and to Jamaica both leave their respective terminals at 5:20 AM) and so forth.

So it has 10 minute headways like the n6 and n20? Not bad.

No, the Q67 has a 12 minute peak headways, and 15 minute reverse peak headways, and 30 minute midday headways. The really crappy headways are evenings and weekends (running every 60 minutes). The headways are similar to the n24 segment from RF to Hicksville.

Within city limits, LI Bus headways are a sin, lol.

Edited by Q23 Central Terminal

I have a question. Why aren't there Q29 runs that start at Queens Center in the afternoon rush as opposed to ending there in the morning rush?

It's easier to run them in the morning, since in the afternoon, should Q29 service run in utter chaos, then most people would just take the Q38 (that is if it shows up). The MTA doesn't want to risk having buses empty on the 29 at that time. At that time, buses on the 29 also come from all over the place, and don't have time for that short-turn, and tied into it, is the headway difference in the peak and reverse peak direction.

:bus_bullet_b39:

Yep, that's the only one I could think of.... I thought someone could possibly come up w/ another one if one existed....

Thanks though.

I have a question. Why aren't there Q29 runs that start at Queens Center in the afternoon rush as opposed to ending there in the morning rush?

I have a different, but related question....

Look at the service levels on NB Q29's in the morning (well, b/w Glendale & QB/Woodhaven anyway), compared to the service levels of the SB Q29's in the PM rush....

The question I more have is, why is there that descrepancy of service b/w the AM & PM rushes on the route.....

It's easier to run them in the morning, since in the afternoon, should Q29 service run in utter chaos, then most people would just take the Q38 (that is if it shows up). The MTA doesn't want to risk having buses empty on the 29 at that time. At that time, buses on the 29 also come from all over the place, and don't have time for that short-turn, and tied into it, is the headway difference in the peak and reverse peak direction.

What do you mean it's easier to run them in the morning?

Also not understanding what this has to do w/ the Q38 either.....

Edited by B35 via Church

Yep, that's the only one I could think of.... I thought someone could possibly come up w/ another one if one existed....

Thanks though.

I have a different, but related question....

Look at the service levels on NB Q29's in the morning (well, b/w Glendale & QB/Woodhaven anyway), compared to the service levels of the SB Q29's in the PM rush....

The question I more have is, why is there that descrepancy of service b/w the AM & PM rushes on the route.....

What do you mean it's easier to run them in the morning?

Also not understanding what this has to do w/ the Q38 either.....

As far as this relating to the Q38, probably if one lives at or near Dry Harbor and Penelope and 80 and Eliot the wait time is reduced by taking the 29 or 38.

Q9, Q37 and Q41 - routing changes

Q9: Until the Q10 was rightly shifted to 130 Street, the southern terminus of this route lined up with the Q10. However, any connection between the two routes now requires a 2-block walk to 129 Street. What I would propose to do is this:

Instead of continuing down Lincoln Street to Rockaway Boulevard, the Q9 would turn right at Foch Boulevard, run west on Foch, and make its last stop at 127 Street, near side, and stand. Returning to Jamaica, the Q9 would make its first stop at 127 Street, near side of Rockaway Boulevard, continue to Lincoln Street, and return to Jamaica via Lincoln Street.

In addition, in southern Jamaica, with the elimination of the Q89 in eastern Jamaica, the connections in that area of Jamaica have decreased. As such, I would change the Q9 route as follows: Instead of using 135 Street and the Van Wyck, and Liberty Avenue to get to and from Jamaica, the Q9 would use Linden Boulevard and then Sutphin Boulevard. (This would necessitate changes to the Q41, see below.) This would help to relieve an overcrowded Q6 route.

Q37: In Ozone Park, the Q37 currently travels via 114 Street, 133 Avenue, Lefferts Boulevard, and 135 Avenue. The problem I see with this is two-fold:

1. This results in poor catchment of southern Ozone Park west of Lefferts Boulevard.

2. 114 Street, as a narrow street with bus stops at all corners where used by the Q37, has no business carrying two-way traffic. Meets here can be problematic (and this is also why the MTA rerouted the Q10 local off of 131 Street and onto 130 Street).

What I would do instead is this, which would also reduce the number of turns made:

1. Instead of turning onto Lefferts Boulevard, the Q37 would remain on Lefferts Avenue.

2. 114 Street would become a one-way northbound street between 135 Avenue and Rockaway Boulevard.

3. 114 Place would become a one-way southbound street between Rockaway Boulevard and 135 Avenue.

4. Northbound Q37 buses to Kew Gardens would use 114 Street. Southbound buses (to 130 Street-150 Avenue) would use 114 Place.

Any lost parking spots on 114 Place would be added to 114 Street, to allay resident concerns.,

Q41:

In South RIchmond Hill, this route has many of the same problems as the Q37 in South Ozone Park along 114 Street...issues with meets along a street that has no business carrying two-way traffic. In addition, as my Q9 proposal would take the Q9 off of 135 Street and Linden Boulevard, this area would need a fresh route for catchment. As such, I would propose these reroutes, noting that 109 Avenue becomes extremely narrow after 133 Street.

1. Service along 127 Street would be discontinued.

2. Buses to Jamaica would use 130 Street between 109 and Atlantic Avenues.

3. In the same stretch, buses to Howard Beach would use 133 Street (the nearest continuous southbound street to the Van Wyck Expressway).

A new traffic light would be installed at Atlantic Avenue and 133 Street to facilitate turns, and 133 Street's one-way southbound traffic pattern would be extended to Linden Boulevard.

I would also propose a Q41A and Q41B service  The Q41A service would be the current Q41. The Q41B service would be one that uses Linden Boulevard instead of 109 Avenue, to provide better connections in the community to the Key Food supermarket in the area, and to increase catchment. The Q41B, however, would not serve Lindenwood or Howard Beach, instead terminating at Pitkin Avenue and Cross Bay Boulevard, sharing a terminus with Q11 short-turns.

Q9, Q37 and Q41 - routing changes

Q9: Until the Q10 was rightly shifted to 130 Street, the southern terminus of this route lined up with the Q10. However, any connection between the two routes now requires a 2-block walk to 129 Street. What I would propose to do is this:

Instead of continuing down Lincoln Street to Rockaway Boulevard, the Q9 would turn right at Foch Boulevard, run west on Foch, and make its last stop at 127 Street, near side, and stand. Returning to Jamaica, the Q9 would make its first stop at 127 Street, near side of Rockaway Boulevard, continue to Lincoln Street, and return to Jamaica via Lincoln Street.

In addition, in southern Jamaica, with the elimination of the Q89 in eastern Jamaica, the connections in that area of Jamaica have decreased. As such, I would change the Q9 route as follows: Instead of using 135 Street and the Van Wyck, and Liberty Avenue to get to and from Jamaica, the Q9 would use Linden Boulevard and then Sutphin Boulevard. (This would necessitate changes to the Q41, see below.) This would help to relieve an overcrowded Q6 route.

Q37: In Ozone Park, the Q37 currently travels via 114 Street, 133 Avenue, Lefferts Boulevard, and 135 Avenue. The problem I see with this is two-fold:

1. This results in poor catchment of southern Ozone Park west of Lefferts Boulevard.

2. 114 Street, as a narrow street with bus stops at all corners where used by the Q37, has no business carrying two-way traffic. Meets here can be problematic (and this is also why the MTA rerouted the Q10 local off of 131 Street and onto 130 Street).

What I would do instead is this, which would also reduce the number of turns made:

1. Instead of turning onto Lefferts Boulevard, the Q37 would remain on Lefferts Avenue.

2. 114 Street would become a one-way northbound street between 135 Avenue and Rockaway Boulevard.

3. 114 Place would become a one-way southbound street between Rockaway Boulevard and 135 Avenue.

4. Northbound Q37 buses to Kew Gardens would use 114 Street. Southbound buses (to 130 Street-150 Avenue) would use 114 Place.

Any lost parking spots on 114 Place would be added to 114 Street, to allay resident concerns.,

Q41:

In South RIchmond Hill, this route has many of the same problems as the Q37 in South Ozone Park along 114 Street...issues with meets along a street that has no business carrying two-way traffic. In addition, as my Q9 proposal would take the Q9 off of 135 Street and Linden Boulevard, this area would need a fresh route for catchment. As such, I would propose these reroutes, noting that 109 Avenue becomes extremely narrow after 133 Street.

1. Service along 127 Street would be discontinued.

2. Buses to Jamaica would use 130 Street between 109 and Atlantic Avenues.

3. In the same stretch, buses to Howard Beach would use 133 Street (the nearest continuous southbound street to the Van Wyck Expressway).

A new traffic light would be installed at Atlantic Avenue and 133 Street to facilitate turns, and 133 Street's one-way southbound traffic pattern would be extended to Linden Boulevard.

I would also propose a Q41A and Q41B service The Q41A service would be the current Q41. The Q41B service would be one that uses Linden Boulevard instead of 109 Avenue, to provide better connections in the community to the Key Food supermarket in the area, and to increase catchment. The Q41B, however, would not serve Lindenwood or Howard Beach, instead terminating at Pitkin Avenue and Cross Bay Boulevard, sharing a terminus with Q11 short-turns.

I really believe the Q9 should stay the way it is because it only brings people to Jamaica from that area same as the Q40. We don't need to relieve the Q6 what it needs is either Artics or more buses. It's good if a bus route is getting more service because that is when the (MTA) can improve reliablity. Unfortunately on Woodhaven the Q21 and Q52 is stealing ridership from the Q11 and Q53. If I was the (MTA) I would cut all Q21 service and instead the Q41 will only serve Lindenwood/ Howard Beach. The Q11 will have increased service that will short turn at Piktin or Liberty Ave. The Q41 I do agree that 127 is very small and causes problems especially if there is a double parked car, a delivery a school bus an emergency such as an ambulance or police and that slows down buses. However on 130th street the Q41 is still going to need to go down 127th or two seperate street to Liberty and then 127th. The MTA already made a good change moving the Q41 off 111th street only to come back to 109th and they also made buses go straight down 127 instead of that 131 and 132st turns. The Q37 I don't know what to say because the it still shows up. The Q37 should maybe do a few short turns at Rockaway Blvd.

Oh yeah the (MTA) is trying to eliminate A and B and so on destinations with the exception of a few such as the Q20A/B the Q15/A, X17/A/C/J and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

Edited by College Pt Man

Unfortunately on Woodhaven the Q21 and Q52 is stealing ridership from the Q11 and Q53. If I was the (MTA) I would cut all Q21 service and instead the Q41 will only serve Lindenwood/ Howard Beach. The Q11 will have increased service that will short turn at Piktin or Liberty Ave. The Q41 I do agree that 127 is very small and causes problems especially if there is a double parked car, a delivery a school bus an emergency such as an ambulance or police and that slows down buses. 

That's good that they're taking ridership away, it would be a disaster if the 21 and 52 didn't exist as they run now. The Q21 relieves the Q11, and is used, so nevertheless it should stay the same as it is. Same thing for the Q52.

That's good that they're taking ridership away, it would be a disaster if the 21 and 52 didn't exist as they run now. The Q21 relieves the Q11, and is used, so nevertheless it should stay the same as it is. Same thing for the Q52.

Q21 is why off peak Q11 service is horrible. And it is just a branch of q11 as Q52 is a branch of Q53

I really believe the Q9 should stay the way it is because it only brings people to Jamaica from that area same as the Q40. We don't need to relieve the Q6 what it needs is either Artics or more buses. It's good if a bus route is getting more service because that is when the (MTA) can improve reliablity. Unfortunately on Woodhaven the Q21 and Q52 is stealing ridership from the Q11 and Q53. If I was the (MTA) I would cut all Q21 service and instead the Q41 will only serve Lindenwood/ Howard Beach. The Q11 will have increased service that will short turn at Piktin or Liberty Ave. The Q41 I do agree that 127 is very small and causes problems especially if there is a double parked car, a delivery a school bus an emergency such as an ambulance or police and that slows down buses. However on 130th street the Q41 is still going to need to go down 127th or two seperate street to Liberty and then 127th. The MTA already made a good change moving the Q41 off 111th street only to come back to 109th and they also made buses go straight down 127 instead of that 131 and 132st turns. The Q37 I don't know what to say because the it still shows up. The Q37 should maybe do a few short turns at Rockaway Blvd.

Oh yeah the (MTA) is trying to eliminate A and B and so on destinations with the exception of a few such as the Q20A/B the Q15/A, X17/A/C/J and a few others I can't think of at the moment.

I won't cut Q21I would reroute it to serve a purpose to eliminate duplication of Q41.

That is why you add service on currents routes. And not many people are going to take a local bus all the way from Queens Blvd to Howard beach they rather take a LTD. The Q52 I do see growth since it goes to another area but as far a the Q21 I see it losing riders since the Q52 is around.

That is why you add service on currents routes. And not many people are going to take a local bus all the way from Queens Blvd to Howard beach they rather take a LTD. The Q52 I do see growth since it goes to another area but as far a the Q21 I see it losing riders since the Q52 is around.

That's why I suggested it reroute to serve the aquaduct casino and linden Blvd replacing former Q89 service while doing what it never did  before connect to the subway!. But to avoid redundant services it would end at st Albans LIRR. Merrick Blvd has enough lines as it is.