NYC Subway Stations to Receive Boingo Wi-Fi, Eventually

mark1447

Subway stations in New York City will receive Wi-Fi-based Internet services over the next five years, Boingo said Thursday.

Boingo will manage and operate the access points in conjunction with Transit Wireless, the companies said, eventually serving New York's more than 1.6 billion subway riders.

Boingo promised one-click access to the hotspots, which, unfortunately, will not be accessible by the train once it enters the tunnel. Loitering passengers, however, will be able to tap into the Boingo network of hotspots, accessible by roaming partners including Skype, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon.

Once completed, Boingo Wi-Fi services will be available at stations throughout Manhattan, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Queens.

"Our alliance with Transit Wireless is another milestone for Boingo in our ongoing effort to expand our managed and operated footprint and provide added value to our customers – especially those in New York City," said Colby Goff, senior vice president of strategy and business development for Boingo Wireless, in a statement. "We look forward to providing New Yorkers, our customers and our roaming partners with the reliable connectivity they crave, whether at street level or on the subway platform."

Accessing Wi-Fi via the subway has been a priority overseas, with London's Underground signing a contract with Virgin to install acces points at 80 Tube stations in time for the Olympics. Access will be free until after the Games, when the network will move to a pay-as-you-go system.

In the U.S., however, placing Wi-Fi service in trains has been slow going. In the Bay Area, for example, Wi-Fi access has been largely replaced by 3G cellular antennas in stations and tunnels, reflecting the shift from laptops to smartphones to access the Internet.

In New York, the Metropolitan Transit Authority awarded Transit Wireless a contract in 2010 to outfit all 277 subway stations with Wi-Fi. In March 2011, MTA launched a trial, managed by Transit Wireless, of five subway stations along the 14th Street corridor. These include: 14th and Broadway, 14th and Sixth Avenue, 14th and Eighth Avenue, 14th and Third Avenue, and 14th and First Avenue.

New York's subway system already has Internet access of sorts; in 2011, Transit Wireless installed wireless service at six stations: the 23rd St/8th Ave. station (A, C, E lines); the 14th St./8th Ave. station (A, C, E, L); the 14th St./7th Ave. station (1, 2, 3) and the 14th St./6th Ave. station (F, L, M). The two stations serving the "L" line are considered to be separate stations. As of now, however, only AT&T and T-Mobile customers can tap into the small Transit Wireless network.

Proposals have also been filed to place Wi-Fi on the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) and other commuter trains, but so far, nothing has happened.

For more, check out our slideshow from when the MTA first launched cell-phone service within NYC's subway stations below.

Source: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2403952,00.asp

Putting WiFi on the trains could surely boost transit.

Yeah............... and can surely boost crime too!

Look at all the latest headlines I'm hearing about electronics being robbed, while MOST of those owners end up in the hospital..

The Subway system is not a Hotspot for people to sit down at a station, drink a cup of coffee and play with the computer for hours. Its a place for you to move around. If you need a hotspot, go home and do it, or visit a place with Wifi accessibility, such as the Library, Coffee shops, etc. Even outside.

It does sound nice to gain free internet from below, but then its not nice someone robs you.

Then the (MTA) should ensure passenger safety. i suggest that every station in the subway and the bus should have a police officer, and the trains too. Every car should have a police officer undercover at all times. It's successful in other places like Israel, and etc.

Then the (MTA) should ensure passenger safety. i suggest that every station in the subway and the bus should have a police officer, and the trains too. Every car should have a police officer undercover at all times. It's successful in other places like Israel, and etc.

$$$$$$ For that.

Hey, if every damn train didn't have to travel through Manhattan just to get to the Bronx or Brooklyn we wouldn't need Wi-Fi or cellphone service underground! LOL

Seriously though, unless that express train is moving or you just want that one-seat ride and it happens to go local in Manhattan you're gonna be bored for quite some time

Look at all the latest headlines I'm hearing about electronics being robbed, while MOST of those owners end up in the hospital..

The Subway system is not a Hotspot for people to sit down at a station, drink a cup of coffee and play with the computer for hours. Its a place for you to move around. If you need a hotspot, go home and do it, or visit a place with Wifi accessibility, such as the Library, Coffee shops, etc. Even outside.

It does sound nice to gain free internet from below, but then its not nice someone robs you.

If you're the type who is paranoid about getting robbed or the type that is susceptible to robberies, then you shouldn't bring your electronics onto the train. I welcome this change, and although you won't see me bringing my laptop onto the subway system, I'll definetely use WiFi on my phone.

Just because this change doesn't cater to you, doesn't mean its bad.

Chief the MTA doesn't have unlimited money...

I guess that you are right with this one.

People get robbed because they let it happen. That's unless the robber catches them off guard and punches them in the face. At that point people would give it up or someone like me would try and fight back. Realistically no one is gonna stabed or shot for an iphone. I dont' think anyone is that desperate, or stupid to almost kill or kill someone for about $200 - $300 ( what they would get for an iphone 4S in the street ). Why would anyone put themselves in prison for 10 years for $300. It's pure stupidity. Of course it happens at times mainly because the perp is stupid. However perps who use knives or guns use them to place fear and 9 times out of 10 it works, and 9 times out of 10 don't want to use it. For people like me who isn't scared and or is smart enough to know they're not gonna use it well ... They'll just look for another victim .... or we fighting. Whichever the perp decides. Before it's brought up I'll just say this.The incident in the bronx dude was sleeping two South American men robbed him and when the guy went to confront them well he got stabbed. These South American pu$$ies think their smart, and they are. They know the system is different for them compared to a US citizen. They do whatever they want especially if they're here illegally. They get caught they get charged and they go to prison. A few years later ICE deports them back to country of origin. A year later they jump the border and they're back here again. Those are the only ones I don't play with because those are the one's who can actually get away with it.

Besides all this, there are people who love to use public networks to be able to put up personal information, when accessing websites such as banks, online stores to buy something, etc.. Who knows if one day some hacker ends up grabbing stuff like credit/debit cards number and anything else. There are many people out there who don't have knowledge with Computer Security.

People get robbed because they let it happen. That's unless the robber catches them off guard and punches them in the face. At that point people would give it up or someone like me would try and fight back. Realistically no one is gonna stabed or shot for an iphone. I dont' think anyone is that desperate, or stupid to almost kill or kill someone for about $200 - $300 ( what they would get for an iphone 4S in the street ). Why would anyone put themselves in prison for 10 years for $300. It's pure stupidity. Of course it happens at times mainly because the perp is stupid. However perps who use knives or guns use them to place fear and 9 times out of 10 it works, and 9 times out of 10 don't want to use it. For people like me who isn't scared and or is smart enough to know they're not gonna use it well ... They'll just look for another victim .... or we fighting. Whichever the perp decides. Before it's brought up I'll just say this.The incident in the bronx dude was sleeping two South American men robbed him and when the guy went to confront them well he got stabbed. These South American pu$$ies think their smart, and they are. They know the system is different for them compared to a US citizen. They do whatever they want especially if they're here illegally. They get caught they get charged and they go to prison. A few years later ICE deports them back to country of origin. A year later they jump the border and they're back here again. Those are the only ones I don't play with because those are the one's who can actually get away with it.

Don't say No to that. You never know.

Well I don't own an iphone so I know I'm good.

You don't have to own an iPhone to get robbed. Anything can be robbed. But yeah, just gotta make sure its safe, and you are checking your surroundings all the time.

You don't have to own an iPhone to get robbed. Anything can be robbed. But yeah, just gotta make sure its safe, and you are checking your surroundings all the time.

Exactly People get robbed because they let it happen e.i. not be aware of your surroundings

I just want to know how on Earth a robber can punch someone in the face, run off, without anyone doing anyting. Doesn't anyone even have the instinct to trip him or something? God damn push him on the train tracks if you have to. Just stop him in some way.

I just want to know how on Earth a robber can punch someone in the face, run off, without anyone doing anyting. Doesn't anyone even have the instinct to trip him or something? God damn push him on the train tracks if you have to. Just stop him in some way.

Aparently a lot of people tend to mind their own business. Much respect for people here who would have the balls to do or at least say something. The city is truly a melting pot .... but I still love it. This is home

I can see it now; mark entrains at Station A, spotter sends text, commotion conveniently takes place at Station B, before Station C is reached mark is mugged and perpetrators alight.

They're not going to put more security personnel out there but I hope they put more cameras because upon the arrival of new technologies is the inevitable evolution of the stupider stupid.

Tex•tus O•bli•vi•ous ( n ) - a subspecies of homo sapien susceptable to severe bouts of vivid stupidity when engaged with electronic devices

Archived