Brooklyn Division Bus Proposals/Ideas

B36 Via Ave U

Leave feeders alone. They have their own purpose, they don't need to be combined with unreliable routes.

SORRY!  just as were are talking about  suggesting the b74 to have the b68 take over i found this 

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/topic/7922-are-shuttle-bus-routes-b42-b74-s60-q74-needed/

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm gonna make this B102 LTD thing work eventually.

Latest "throw shit against the wall" attempt:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202807188220210378870.0004d4388451eefa3aee9&msa=0&ll=40.651732,-73.886833&spn=0.078533,0.154324

It's even worse.

Leave feeders alone. They have their own purpose, they don't need to be combined with unreliable routes.

keyword: Unreliable routes!

I'd consider the B68 to be pretty damn unreliable. Also, how will the B74's current frequency fair if combined with the B68?

Well, I don't think that would be an issue, because IIRC, the headways of both routes are comparable. I think the B74 is more frequent during rush hours, but you could always have short-turns.

I'm not endorsing it, and I think they should remain as seperate routes, but I don't think there would be an issue with the frequencies.

why you think it should not merge with B68.

Coney Island is a dense area, and the only other route serving it (the B36) is unreliable. So if you have an issue on the B36 and an issue on the B68/74, well, I feel sorry for the first CI-bound bus to pull into that loop.

BTW, I forget. Does the B36 stop within that loop or not?

Related to the B84 idea---noting that ridership on the B20 east of the Linden and Boulevard Houses is pretty sparse (the B15 is the line that carries through that area into the Pink Houses), might it be better to restructure the B20 into the B84?

This is what I would propose:

At Ashford Street, branch the B20. You would have a branch that runs to the Brooklyn GMF as it does now, but then the other branch would run to Gateway Mall. Here, I would propose a change to have the B84 (renumbering it to B21, now a B20 branch, but actually the mainline as it would turn out) continue down Wortman to Elton Street, run south on Elton to Vandalia Avenue, then east on Vandalia, and then do the loop around the DDSO to Gateway Mall. The other branch would run as the B20 does now. That routing would be strategic to optimally serve the new Spring Creek housing tracts and the Spring Creek Educational Campus.

The branch that runs to the GMF would then be proposed to have weekend service eliminated, as it serves mostly industry that is not open on weekends. On weekdays, buses would alternate on each branch. On weekends, all service would be to and from Gateway only (no GMF service). Customers from the Linden Houses needing access to the GMF could take the B6 to the B15 or the B84 to the B13.

The B21 would be the mainline.

Related to the B84 idea---noting that ridership on the B20 east of the Linden and Boulevard Houses is pretty sparse (the B15 is the line that carries through that area into the Pink Houses), might it be better to restructure the B20 into the B84?

This is what I would propose:

At Ashford Street, branch the B20. You would have a branch that runs to the Brooklyn GMF as it does now, but then the other branch would run to Gateway Mall. Here, I would propose a change to have the B84 (renumbering it to B21, now a B20 branch, but actually the mainline as it would turn out) continue down Wortman to Elton Street, run south on Elton to Vandalia Avenue, then east on Vandalia, and then do the loop around the DDSO to Gateway Mall. The other branch would run as the B20 does now. That routing would be strategic to optimally serve the new Spring Creek housing tracts and the Spring Creek Educational Campus.

The branch that runs to the GMF would then be proposed to have weekend service eliminated, as it serves mostly industry that is not open on weekends. On weekdays, buses would alternate on each branch. On weekends, all service would be to and from Gateway only (no GMF service). Customers from the Linden Houses needing access to the GMF could take the B6 to the B15 or the B84 to the B13.

The B21 would be the mainline.

Your B21 is very similar to my B84 rendition, except I wouldn't have the route run as far north as the current B20 does along penn, and I would have the B84 end over there by the linden plaza apartments (via gateway mall), instead of yet another route ending at gateway mall....

I don't see much of a point to branching a line like the B20 though....

Okay, briefly this is what we are thinking about. Instead of the B84, reroute and extend the Q8 down to New Lots and west to the New Lots Station, then pick up the proposed B84 with a slight modification to run on Vandalia instead of Flatlands where there is new housing to Gateway.

Reroute the B15 from New Lots to Linden between Ashford and Fountain.

Reroute the B6 up Van Siclen to the Van Siclen Station.

Eliminate the B20

Straighten to B83 to operate straight on Pennsylvania doubling service with every other bus terminating at Vandalia.

Extend the B7 to take over the Bushwick and Ridgewood portion of the B20.

Your B21 is very similar to my B84 rendition, except I wouldn't have the route run as far north as the current B20 does along penn, and I would have the B84 end over there by the linden plaza apartments (via gateway mall), instead of yet another route ending at gateway mall....

I don't see much of a point to branching a line like the B20 though....

The location of Gateway Mall really precludes any route from running through that spot though. As for branching the B20, it's to prevent Gateway from being overserved on weekdays and maintain weekday service to the GMF for network coverage..I had initially thought about making a post for keeping it on Wortman to serve the industry, but thought against it in that post.

The location of Gateway Mall really precludes any route from running through that spot though. As for branching the B20, it's to prevent Gateway from being overserved on weekdays and maintain weekday service to the GMF for network coverage..I had initially thought about making a post for keeping it on Wortman to serve the industry, but thought against it in that post.

How you figure any preclusion?

Buses coming from either direction would use fountain to stop at the current stop(s) buses pickup/dropoff pax at down @ gateway mall....

You're branching the 20 to keep gateway from being overserved.... Well wait a second, how much service would you plan on putting on these buses (B20/"B21")?

How you figure any preclusion?

Buses coming from either direction would use fountain to stop at the current stop(s) buses pickup/dropoff pax at down @ gateway mall....

You're branching the 20 to keep gateway from being overserved.... Well wait a second, how much service would you plan on putting on these buses (B20/"B21")?

Weekdays, alternating buses with some trips during the rush hour beginning and ending at Ashford and Wortman. During the midday, that would be between every 20 and 30 minutes, but not more than every 12-15 minutes during the rush. (GMF service would be at least every 20 minutes.)

Perhaps Saturday service could also run on the GMF branch. But all Sunday service would be to Gateway, as well as all service after 9 PM.

Edited by aemoreira81

Okay, briefly this is what we are thinking about. Instead of the B84, reroute and extend the Q8 down to New Lots and west to the New Lots Station, then pick up the proposed B84 with a slight modification to run on Vandalia instead of Flatlands where there is new housing to Gateway.

Reroute the B15 from New Lots to Linden between Ashford and Fountain.

Reroute the B6 up Van Siclen to the Van Siclen Station.

Eliminate the B20

Straighten to B83 to operate straight on Pennsylvania doubling service with every other bus terminating at Vandalia.

Extend the B7 to take over the Bushwick and Ridgewood portion of the B20.

The only thing I agree with here is the Q8 reroute. None of this other stuff is necessary, and it would only hurt riders by cutting the B20 and using multiple routes to replace it. This won't be popular with residents, I can say that much.

The only thing I agree with here is the Q8 reroute. None of this other stuff is necessary, and it would only hurt riders by cutting the B20 and using multiple routes to replace it. This won't be popular with residents, I can say that much.

+ rep.

There's a reason I never responded to that post of his, and that pretty much summarizes it (in bold)....

I agree with running B83's along penn, but everything else is not necessary..... AEMoreira's plan of fusing the B84 into a branch of the B20 even makes more sense than all of that..... Everything is all interconnected w/ that plan BrooklynBus posted, just to not have the B84 around - too many routes involved.... I don't even agree with the Q8 reroute; two reasons:

1] ...because the current route takes riders off the B13 b/w Euclid av (A)(C) & Gateway Mall.... even I'm surprised at how well the Q8 is used, south of Pitkin....I was originally against the MTA sending the Q8 down to gateway & felt maybe they should've chosen the 7 instead..... While it would take mileage off the Q8 & give that part of Brooklyn access to the (3), you're gonna cram more people onto the B13 in lieu of doing so.... I personally don't think it's worth it....

2] ...because it's at the expense of moving B15's along that dead part of linden blvd the current B20 runs along.....

Weekdays, alternating buses with some trips during the rush hour beginning and ending at Ashford and Wortman. During the midday, that would be between every 20 and 30 minutes, but not more than every 12-15 minutes during the rush. (GMF service would be at least every 20 minutes.)

Perhaps Saturday service could also run on the GMF branch. But all Sunday service would be to Gateway, as well as all service after 9 PM.

That's an odd short-turn terminal, but alright, I gotcha....

nope those Q8 riders will not have it it's good enough as is MTA perfected it. People just want to get to the mall quicker. Brooklynbus is smart but all this to prevent B84 is not needed why can't we think of a way to make B84 work like linking areas that aren't linked very well to SE brooklyn. Not creative at all.

B83 service would be doubled to accommodate the loss of B20 service. The only people who would be hurt would be East NY riders going to Bushwick and Ridgewood. Since buses to Ridgewood are not frequent, there could not be many riders making that trip. If needed some B83s could be extended to Decatur and Broadway or a three-legged transfer could be provided. In exchange, extending te B7 to Ridgewood would open up that route to a new service area and boost ridership on that route. The idea in rerouting is to help more people than you are hurting, because any plan will hurt some people unless you always just add layers of new service which is not feasible.

why not make B84 useful and serve airtrain lefferts via belt and stop at cross bay blvd then have it serve one of those underserved corridors in queens. Like basley blvd I am sure a good chunk of folks travel from that part of queens to brooklyn. Wouldn't it tie into your B22 alan rosen?

Would like to map out your proposal, sir? I pretty easy....

Would like to map out your proposal, sir? I pretty easy....

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=211846162174680598825.0004d66da0d6320aa80cc&msa=0&ll=40.66281,-73.875166&spn=0.016277,0.043366 here

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?authuser=0&ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=211846162174680598825.0004d66da0d6320aa80cc

View comments for street details google doesn't like to be straight I was on GPL sorry.

Edited by qjtransitmaster

What in the name of...

Why is it going to Queens Village? That's a B84 that runs mostly in Queens.

What lack of detail did I just view?

google on GPL sucks apparently. It uses the belt to cross bay blvd with new stop for Q53/52 to enable connections then the Q81/B84 goes to the conduit to lefferts airtrain linking to Q10/airtrain ties in with alan's B22 then the Q81/B84 uses nassau expressway northbound and 150th street to baisley southbound via the conduit to airtrain then belt.  It uses baisley blvd all the way to farmers then via murdock to springfield blvd to queens village LIRR.  Basically a southern queens crosstown.

What in the name of...

Why is it going to Queens Village? That's a B84 that runs mostly in Queens.

Basically it should have a Q designation Q81 queens village-New lots ave subway via baisley blvd and belt parkway/nassau expressway.

Bus stop shelters for airborne buses already being manufactured:

rosey-space-bus.jpg

Give me a break I am new to making maps on google I did draw on the roads apparently it did not show very well I don't know why.

I'd prefer it to have a Q designation instead. It will be split between ENY and queens village.

Edited by qjtransitmaster