My first time using LIRR and commuter rail as a whole: what to expect?

overclocked

With spring 2012 over, I plan to finally ride the LIRR. I have never used it previously, or any other rail network except NYCT. I want to got to Montauk, so my questions are how to do it without getting lost or missing a connection.

Where and how should I get tickets? They will be checked on board by conductor, right?

Schedules at MTA website indicate that there will be transfers, how exactly this is done?

It says that train will leave at certain time, can schedules be trusted or should I come earlier?

I understand that those questions maybe silly, any help will be much appreciated.

You can buy tickets to Montauk at every station that has a ticket booth or vending machine. So yes, Penn and Atlantic are 2 of your options.

The LIRR usually doesn't make a fuss about photographing/filming, but should someone from the LIRR or a cop ask you to stop then just stop and wait till it's safe again.

1) get them at the station

2) transfers are signified by letters, and transfers are posten in Penn station

3) come earlier.

Let me add.

1)Go to WWW.MTA.Info and click LIRR schedules.

2)There a $5 late fee if you buy the tickets on board from the conductors.

Use the machines or at a ticket agent if boarding at Penn Station.

3)Usually you change trains if coming from Penn Station at Jamaica if going to Montauk.

4)LIRR lines are called 'branches' and not letter or numbers like NYC Subways. For instance Pt. Washington, Pt. Jefferson, Hempstead, and of course Montauk.

Hope that helps.

So changing trains is something like, lets say changing from (Q) to (D) at Stillwell, right?

Ok, I think I'm ready for this, now if only weather could cooperate :(

More like changing from say the (B) to the (Q) at Sheapshead Bay or the (F) to the (A)(C) at Jay St. 90% of the time the trains at Jamaica are same platforms. The only reason there is not a 1-seat ride between Montauk and Penn Station-NY is that the Montauk line uses diesel trains. While the East River tunnels between Penn Station and Queens are only equipped for electric trains.

How is the (montauk) route overall, scenic or not so? Since its diesel there will be no see through (RFW) windows in front or back of the train right?

Are there are any other "must see" destinations accessible by MNRR or LIRR?

The montauk is very scenic, many crossings and goes out thru woodsy long island. Itsa helluva ride though. Montauk is 117 Miles from Penn.

Buy tickets before boarding, the onboard penalty is $6 then round to the nearest dollar.

The transfer at Jamaica will (in most cases if you're coming from Penn) be across the platform, but there's a chance it could be up and over like Stillwell Ave.

Conductor takes your ticket before Jamaica and give it back to you, the conductor on the Montauk train takes it and gives you a seat check (if its a one way ticket)

The ride is approximately 3 hours, check schedules as service is very infrequent out there. Avoid the summer peak whenever possible, nobody wants to endure rush hour-like crowds on railfan trips.

More like changing from say the (B) to the (Q) at Sheapshead Bay or the (F) to the (A)(C) at Jay St. 90% of the time the trains at Jamaica are same platforms. The only reason there is not a 1-seat ride between Montauk and Penn Station-NY is that the Montauk line uses diesel trains. While the East River tunnels between Penn Station and Queens are only equipped for electric trains.

That's not entirely true. Some of LIRR's C3's are dual-mode so they can access Penn just fine. I believe even 2 Montauk-trains do start at Penn (or is that only on weekends?).

That's not entirely true. Some of LIRR's C3's are dual-mode so they can access Penn just fine. I believe even 2 Montauk-trains do start at Penn (or is that only on weekends?).

Vistausss is correct, the DM30's (the 5xx series locomotives) can access into Penn Station utilizing third rail power. Although most railroads [including the LIRR/MNR tend to switch directly to Diesel right after exiting the tunnel because Diesel power is much more powerful. I am not 100% sure where exactly the switch occurs though. Thus, there are Port Jeff, Oyster Bay and Montauk direct Diesel service from NYP (utilizing Electric power from Third Rail in East River Tunnel/Manhattan). The C3's are Coaches so there is no Diesel/Electric stuff that effects since the locomotive is all that matters.

This is the Montauk Branch Timetable for your convenience:

http://www.mta.info/...ntaukBranch.pdf

With spring 2012 over, I plan to finally ride the LIRR. I have never used it previously, or any other rail network except NYCT. I want to got to Montauk, so my questions are how to do it without getting lost or missing a connection.

Where and how should I get tickets? They will be checked on board by conductor, right?

Schedules at MTA website indicate that there will be transfers, how exactly this is done?

It says that train will leave at certain time, can schedules be trusted or should I come earlier?

I understand that those questions maybe silly, any help will be much appreciated.

Where to get tickets: Buy your tickets at the Ticket Vending Machine (or Customer Service Counters). They will be checked on board by the conductor. Penn and Atlantic both have these machines, they are Red or Gray [and Green @ NYP] and have a distinct difference from the MTA Subway Machines.

NOTE: ONLY choose Peak if you are travelling outbound @ 4-8PM or inbound @ 6-10AM.

NOTE: There will be a 5 buck surcharge if purchased on the train.

Schedules & Transfers: Always come early, like arrive 30 minutes prior to desired train departure time. As for transfers, the Conductor on the first train should announce connections over the PA system and the track they are on, if not check the displays at Jamaica or whatever station you are using to transfer. If you're utilizing the PDF/Printed Paper schedules there will be reference notes, here are some of the letter references that might appear on your desired train:

J = Change at Jamaica Station. The track of your connecting train will be announced.

B = Leaves Platform B.

T = Transfer at Babylon.

More of the reference notes on the schedule for the Montauk Branch: http://www.mta.info/...ntaukBranch.pdf

Photography: New York Penn is kinda tough but I would keep to the 7th Ave. end of the platform, the 8th Ave. end has more security and people who have problems with photography. Try to avoid Willis Ave. Crossing in Mineola, two MOW guys are tough and will kick you out of the crossing. The Atlantic Terminal (Brooklyn Branch) is the toughest so use caution on that line.

Archived