MTA: Train Operators Can Cover Windows

mark1447

Video: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/news/top-stories/video-override/MTA--Train-Operators-Can-Cover-Windows/158498805

The MTA is standing by its policy allowing train operators to cover their windows so passengers can't see what they're doing. This follows NBC 4 New York's broadcast of a video a passenger made of a train operator reading a newspaper instead of watching the tracks. Now a city lawmaker is blasting the MTA and promising hearings on the window "cover-up" policy. Chris Glorioso reports.

I wonder if this would also apply for MTA RTO, since (especially most R46/68s), have the cab windows blocked. But dk.

But TBH, why are they waiting till now to make a change? This issue has been around of years............

Just because a T/O can have his or her privacy doesn't mean that the MTA thinks what the guy did was okay. Passengers should be allowed to film T/Os if they're visible, but T/O's should have the right to make themselves invisible IMO. I don't see why T/O's should be forced to let passengers sit and watch them.

I think this is unfortunately another case of a politician blasting the MTA because the public hates the agency already; people are more likely to vote for someone who appears to be defending the public against the "evil" MTA.

Just because a T/O can have his or her privacy doesn't mean that the MTA thinks what the guy did was okay. Passengers should be allowed to film T/Os if they're visible, but T/O's should have the right to make themselves invisible IMO. I don't see why T/O's should be forced to let passengers sit and watch them.

I think this is unfortunately another case of a politician blasting the MTA because the public hates the agency already; people are more likely to vote for someone who appears to be defending the public against the "evil" MTA.

James Vacca has always been outspoken and when it comes to the (MTA), he speaks the truth. Joe Lhota has promised to have a more open door sort of (MTA) and so far I haven't seen that. The idea of these T/Os being able to "hide" themselves is rather metaphoric of what the agency has been doing for years... Hiding....

James Vacca has always been outspoken and when it comes to the (MTA), he speaks the truth. Joe Lhota has promised to have a more open door sort of (MTA) and so far I haven't seen that. The idea of these T/Os being able to "hide" themselves is rather metaphoric of what the agency has been doing for years... Hiding....

Okay, I don't know the guy very well so I'm not going to argue about this what James Vacca said. But I don't see why people are mad that the MTA is continuing to let T/O's hide themselves. I mean, do you really think that passengers have the right to always be able to see what their T/O is doing? Do you want the MTA to change it's procedure? I'm not blaming the guy who took the video; he was right to do what he did, but it's not a passenger's responsibility to spy on their train crews IMO.

Okay, I don't know the guy very well so I'm not going to argue about this what James Vacca said. But I don't see why people are mad that the MTA is continuing to let T/O's hide themselves. I mean, do you really think that passengers have the right to always be able to see what their T/O is doing? Do you want the MTA to change it's procedure? I'm not blaming the guy who took the video; he was right to do what he did, but it's not a passenger's responsibility to spy on their train crews IMO.

The issue I have with the whole thing is after this guy was busted reading the paper while at the controls now suddenly they're hiding T/Os. It just sends the message that they've got something to hide as opposed to them hiding T/Os for safety purposes, etc.

The issue I have with the whole thing is after this guy was busted reading the paper while at the controls now suddenly they're hiding T/Os. It just sends the message that they've got something to hide as opposed to them hiding T/Os for safety purposes, etc.

But that's not what I thought the article said. The article never said that they're "hiding" T/Os, but it said that T/Os will still be allowed to hide themselves if they so choose. The MTA is going to follow the same procedure that they did before; they're not changing anything because of the newspaper incident.

But that's not what I thought the article said. The article never said that they're "hiding" T/Os, but it said that T/Os will still be allowed to hide themselves if they so choose. The MTA is going to follow the same procedure that they did before; they're not changing anything because of the newspaper incident.

I was going off of what I heard in the news and in the news (I forget which channel (Channel 4?)) the report claims that the (MTA) supports hiding T/Os...

Is this about MTA train operators or MNR locomotive engineers? Being that all the hoopla is about what happened last week, it has never been an issue covering the window on the cab door. If a train master, road foreman or FRA inspector wants to go in, they have every right to! The only reason is coming to light now is because recent events.

Reasons that I can think of that some engineers do this is 1) to stop the glare of the interior lighting from the passenger compartment and 2) to prevent the general public from looking in as it can be a distraction.

on the subway it would be impossible to enforce a rule allowing train operators to be seen because the only cars with windows to view the T/O are the R62/R62A. on all the NTTs the view is obscured, on the R32s the T/O is trapped in a tiny little box, and on the rest the view is either blacked out or can only look straight ahead

Is this about MTA train operators or MNR locomotive engineers? Being that all the hoopla is about what happened last week, it has never been an issue covering the window on the cab door. If a train master, road foreman or FRA inspector wants to go in, they have every right to! The only reason is coming to light now is because recent events.

Reasons that I can think of that some engineers do this is 1) to stop the glare of the interior lighting from the passenger compartment and 2) to prevent the general public from looking in as it can be a distraction.

Yeah its related to MNCR, but could also be in general too.

While it does block distraction, that doesn't mean that they are the only ones who don't want to put up with that. Even Bus Drivers have to deal with distraction all the time. No way for them block the view from the public.

What the MTA could do is maybe blur out the window, similar to the MTA NYCTA R142 and newer series cars, rather then how its set up on MNCR / LIRR cars. I think the M7s have a hole to view for the cab door?

I think the M7s have a hole to view for the cab door?

The window last week's video was shot through was an M7. It has an approximately 2'by 2' window, as do the M8's. The M2, 3, 4 and 6 have the little peep hole (approximately 4" by 4")

Who cares if a T/O covers the window? Its none of your business to peer into there. Its up to TSS to monitor them not you. You sure are not allowed to watch pilots while flying planes..

Frankly I'd say T/O's can't block the full window. They shold have nothing to hide, right? But if the (MTA) wants to "hide sensitive information regarding the control panel", design a film where you can get good camera quality while hiding the cab. BTW, not to go off-topic but are T/O's allowed to let kids watch them operate? Me and my brother got to watch a (D) train operator drive from CI to Bay 50th.

Does this happen often on LIRR or MNR?

Previous to this incident the FRA were a regular sight on MNR property. As a result of this incident, the FRA is adding inspectors and stepping up enforcement and complacence measures on almost every level of operations ranging from train operation, proper yard habits, radio rules,making sure individual train crew members are carrying their rule book, bulletin orders, DTOBO, etc.

Who cares if a T/O covers the window? Its none of your business to peer into there. Its up to TSS to monitor them not you. You sure are not allowed to watch pilots while flying planes..

And on what basis are you saying this? If it was solely the TSS's job to monitor behavior like this and this (and many other incidents) never got out to the public, then there is no pressure from the public to change policies that allow lax monitoring or loopholes that permit this type of dangerous behavior to continue. You tell me: just how many incidents like this have been reported in transit systems across the nation due to the fact that people have visual access to operating cabs? I can name quite a few. Public scrutiny plays an important part in ensuring safety across the board. Your pilot example is an interesting one, but considering the fact that FAA regulations dictate a strict separation (both visually and materially) between the cockpit and the passenger cabin, and the fact that such regulations don't hold true in the FRA (as far as I'm aware), then your point is moot.

And on what basis are you saying this? If it was solely the TSS's job to monitor behavior like this and this (and many other incidents) never got out to the public, then there is no pressure from the public to change policies that allow lax monitoring or loopholes that permit this type of dangerous behavior to continue. You tell me: just how many incidents like this have been reported in transit systems across the nation due to the fact that people have visual access to operating cabs? I can name quite a few. Public scrutiny plays an important part in ensuring safety across the board. Your pilot example is an interesting one, but considering the fact that FAA regulations dictate a strict separation (both visually and materially) between the cockpit and the passenger cabin, and the fact that such regulations don't hold true in the FRA (as far as I'm aware), then your point is moot.

You are funny. I would expect this kind of a response from a foamer who is angry they cant look out of the front window.

You are funny. I would expect this kind of a response from a foamer who is angry they cant look out of the front window.

A foamer? Oh no D= I'm sure their response would have been so much easier to respond to and refute that you would have done so. What? Nothing? Exactly.

Archived