Department of Buses question

Via Garibaldi 8

Tonight there was a dispatcher for the BxM express buses near the BxM9 stop at 44th & Madison Avenue. I waited for the 19:14 BxM18 at 44th & Madison and was almost bypassed even with the dispatcher there! At the last minute the B/O saw me and pulled over, as he was acknowledging the dispatcher and was driving slow enough that he could stop. The poor guy got an earful from me because I was irate to say the least, as this has been a problem now for months. I thought the problem was resolved since they've had a heavy set white chick from Yonkers Depot on the express buses to guide the B/Os that aren't familiar with the route so that they know where all of the stops are, but she wasn't on this bus tonight. Now I've noticed that a few changes have been made to a few BxM express bus stops. For example, the BxM18 no longer stops at 26th & Madison for the transfer point Northbound for Queens and Bronx express buses. The new stop is 29th & Madison, yet this information has not been updated on the run sheets, NOR on the actual BxM18 schedule and a few other express bus routes.

I learned when preparing to get off at my stop and talking to the B/O after having calmed down and apologizing that the poor guy had been given a run sheet with several errors on it, as he had been driving in Queens for a while. My question is who can be contacted at the Department of Buses about these issues because they are making changes to bus stops and not giving the B/Os the correct information? In addition to that the passengers aren't getting the correct information either because if they have an old schedule, they will be led to believe that there are stops that no longer exist and have been moved elsewhere. I know that the DOT is responsible for physically moving the bus stops, but the Department of Buses is responsible for the run sheets.

I remembered somewhere in April on the MTAs website something about the stops being moved for select Express Bus routes. There was a notice for at least one route on Madison and I think 26th Street about the move. Can't remember which route.

For contacting, I don't know, but all that should be here:

http://www.mta.info/faqs.htm

I remembered somewhere in April on the MTAs website something about the stops being moved for select Express Bus routes. There was a notice for at least one route on Madison and I think 26th Street about the move. Can't remember which route.

For contacting, I don't know, but all that should be here:

http://www.mta.info/faqs.htm

Yeah I'm asking because I've written in about this a gazillion times. Supposedly my complaints are forwarded but they still haven't updated the run sheets nor updated any of the schedules. I was told that by folks out of Yonkers Depot that the run sheet error has been like that for several months at a minimum.

Yeah I'm asking because I've written in about this a gazillion times. Supposedly my complaints are forwarded but they still haven't updated the run sheets nor updated any of the schedules. I was told that by folks out of Yonkers Depot that the run sheet error has been like that for several months at a minimum.

To get them to do something will surely take some time. If only one person is contacting, then surely they won't bother doing much unless others come in the game.

To get them to do something will surely take some time. If only one person is contacting, then surely they won't bother doing much unless others come in the game.

Yeah, I'm going to keep at it though... I have another idea that I am using... I just have to get my lazy behind to post office and get the certified letter out to a higher up person at the (MTA) since I don't have an e-mail contact.

Write directly to Darryl Irick at darryl.irick@nyct.com. He will see that the problem gets forwarded to the correct person. I have done that several times and have been contacted by road supervision who even promised to inform me of the results of their investigation and in some cases offered to meet with me personally to better explain the problem or to show it to them which I have done a half dozen times.

They are not arrogant and really want to do a good job to serve the people unlike OP. They don't always succeed but at least they try.

Write directly to Darryl Irick at darryl.irick@nyct.com. He will see that the problem gets forwarded to the correct person. I have done that several times and have been contacted by road supervision who even promised to inform me of the results of their investigation and in some cases offered to meet with me personally to better explain the problem or to show it to them which I have done a half dozen times.

They are not arrogant and really want to do a good job to serve the people unlike OP. They don't always succeed but at least they try.

If I wanted to put in a request for a bus shelter, would he be able to help out on that as well?

I think that DOT handles that.

Actually CEMUSA (a Spanish company) handles the bus shelters. They were contracted by the (MTA) for the actual upkeep and building of the shelters, which they have done a terrible job of.

Excellent... I shall do that. I am also sending a certified letter to Michael J. Garner when I get a chance to stop by the post office. There is an extremely rude black bus driver out of Yonkers and his behavior is disgusting. I have drafted a letter to Mr. Garner not only about this bus stop situation, but also about the behavior of this driver and another driver as well out of Yonkers because some of them have real attitude problems and their lack of professionalism is disgusting. He thinks he's going to be rude to select passengers and get away with it but he is sadly mistaken. I see how he treats (discriminates against) certain individuals that ride and I'll just leave it at that.

I hope you ride my bus on the 46 one day and try to give me an "earful".

Sorry, just saying though...

Understand my frustration. Me and other passengers have been bypassed at that stop for MONTHS now on numerous occasions... Yeah I would give any B/O an earful for constantly driving past a stop that is clearly listed and forcing me and other passengers to wait either another 30 minutes for the next bus (if the bus that bypasses us isn't the last bus of the night), or walk to another express bus and wait there another 20 - 30 minutes making my commute almost two hours to get home. I can understand it happening once in a while. We're all human, but to have this go on for months at a time is just insane.

On top of that when a dispatcher was sent out to investigate the situation, one of the B/Os who had started this whole incident was ordered to pull over to the stop by the dispatcher and even then he refused to open the door at the actual bus stop until he was ordered to do so. That is completely inexcusable. So if his run sheet has an error then fine, but now you're being told by the dispatcher where the stop is located, you see the bus stop clearly listed when the dispatcher shows it to you and yet you still sit there and refuse to open the door for passengers waiting at the correct bus stop? He got into an exchange with the dispatcher which was really unbelievable. I'm sorry to say the bus driver is not always right, especially not in this case.

What I don't understand is why he insisted on pulling into a non-existent bus stop at 43rd and Madison when all it says there is "Bus Stop"? There is no timetable for the BxM18 or BxM18 signage anywhere and in fact there is no signage or timetable for any bus there. Meanwhile the stop at 44th & Madison clearly shows the BxM18 signage and timetable. In spite of all of this he had the nerve to tell me that the new stop was 43rd and Madison. So you're telling me that an incorrect run sheet where there is physically nothing more than a pole that says "Bus Stop" overrides a location where an actual bus stop is?? I really am curious to understand how that works, because it makes no sense whatsoever.

I actually took photos of the two locations in question just to show my point:

NOSTANDINGBUSSTOP-MADISONAV43RDST.jpg

This is the so called "bus stop" that some BxM18 drivers have been stopping it. It is nothing more than a No Standing sign.

Meanwhile, here is the bus stop clearly listed at 44th & Madison right in front of the (MTA) building:

BxM18BUSSTOP-MADISONAV44THST.jpg

BxM18TIMETABLE-MADISONAV44THST.jpg

To Garibaldi 8:

If you want a bus shelter, you should contact the Community Board where you want it located. They are the ones who recommend locations to DOT. Look on DOT's website to determine if the location you want meets the sidewalk clearance criteria before you recommend it.

To Garibaldi 8:

If you want a bus shelter, you should contact the Community Board where you want it located. They are the ones who recommend locations to DOT. Look on DOT's website to determine if the location you want meets the sidewalk clearance criteria before you recommend it.

You mean checkmate... He's the one that wants a bus shelter...

Oh, Lord. I hate dealing with community boards.

I called 311 and they said "Your bus shelter request has been studied and the site is not feasible for a shelter." But the thing is that those stops are heavily used (They're major transfer points and there's a lot of commercial activity in the area). I remember during a rain storm, there were like 15 people huddling under a deli awning so we wouldn't get wet, which is ridiculous.

Did you check to see if the stop met DOT's criteria?

There's 2 bus stops at the intersection. For one of them, I think the sidewalk is to narrow, and there's a fire hydrant, so it looks like we'll have to continue huddling under a deli awning.

For the second one, I think it might be able to be done, but I don't think they got back to me on that. I sent both requests in at once, and maybe their response applied to both.

Here's a snapshot of the intersection: https://www.google.com/maps?q=richmond+avenue+at+forest+avenue&hl=en&ll=40.625223,-74.149282&spn=0.007198,0.019956&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.197599,81.738281&hnear=Richmond+Ave+%26+Forest+Ave,+Staten+Island,+Richmond,+New+York&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.625203,-74.149103&panoid=8As6NaLRZaJiC5ZOnlFJZg&cbp=12,358.41,,0,-2.23

I think they might be able to fit the shelter between the pole carrying the wires and the fire hydrant.

This was the other stop I was referring to: https://www.google.com/maps?q=richmond+avenue+at+forest+avenue&hl=en&ll=40.624378,-74.149033&spn=0.007199,0.019956&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=32.197599,81.738281&hnear=Richmond+Ave+%26+Forest+Ave,+Staten+Island,+Richmond,+New+York&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=40.624378,-74.149033&panoid=86KwxImIrl0ZXr5oAc4Aqw&cbp=12,250,,0,0

I know the stop used to be somewhere else on that block. I'm just not sure where exactly it was placed (in front of what building). There's a sign that says "Bus Stop moved down the block". I think it's in front of the place that inspects cars, but I'm not sure. I don't think that's a good place for a shelter either, though.

Understand my frustration. Me and other passengers have been bypassed at that stop for MONTHS now on numerous occasions... Yeah I would give any B/O an earful for constantly driving past a stop that is clearly listed and forcing me and other passengers to wait either another 30 minutes for the next bus (if the bus that bypasses us isn't the last bus of the night), or walk to another express bus and wait there another 20 - 30 minutes making my commute almost two hours to get home. I can understand it happening once in a while. We're all human, but to have this go on for months at a time is just insane.

Okay, so if this has been going on for months now, then obviously it's not the BOs you should be giving "earfuls" to, right? It's clear there's been an issue with stop instructions on their run sheets for the express route in question because I can't see how every single operator would bypass the stop each and every time (for months, as you claim) when there's an error on given instruction in the first place. And while I can understand some of your frustration, intelligence & common sense would've kicked in at the least to avoid lashing out.

Okay, so if this has been going on for months now, then obviously it's not the BOs you should be giving "earfuls" to, right? It's clear there's been an issue with stop instructions on their run sheets for the express route in question because I can't see how every single operator would bypass the stop each and every time (for months, as you claim) when there's an error on given instruction in the first place. And while I can understand some of your frustration, intelligence & common sense would've kicked in at the least to avoid lashing out.

No, not every driver... Just some drivers, which is what is confusing. The issue also is that there are some of them that are almost bypassing the stop that already know the route and have stopped at the stop to pick me up before on several occasions and are just out to lunch, so naturally I'm going to be sensitive to the issue because you can't tell if they're doing it purposely or just because they're not paying attention or what, and believe me I've written in numerous times about this problem and a dispatcher has even been sent out and still the same issue. Yonkers Depot knows about the problem too, but they claim they can't do anything about it.

In any event, it still makes no sense to pull into a stop where there is just a "No Standing" sign when you've got the actual stop clearly listed big as day right in front of the (MTA) building. That's probably the biggest insult when you're standing in front the (MTA) building and being bypassed.

Seems to me like the operator was tryin to flag you. Can't say I blame him or her. Sounds like ur one of those miserable customers who always have something to say.

Let's see... It's pretty simple... Bus stop is listed at "X" spot, driver stops at "X" spot and there are no problems. Driver doesn't stop at bus stop, then yeah there is a problem. I guess I'm supposed to just not say anything and keep getting bypassed with the rest of the folks waiting at the stop. I'm sure you would do the same thing.

To Checkmate:

From the pictures, I can't tell which corners you are referring to. I do see one shelter on Forest on the southeast corner. I actually used those stops in the 1960s transferring fom the Forest Avenue Bus to the Richmond Avenue bus to go to Baron Hirsch Cemetery before we owned a car.

To Checkmate:

From the pictures, I can't tell which corners you are referring to. I do see one shelter on Forest on the southeast corner. I actually used those stops in the 1960s transferring fom the Forest Avenue Bus to the Richmond Avenue bus to go to Baron Hirsch Cemetery before we owned a car.

There's one on the NW corner of Forest & Morningstar (by the pizza shop) and one on the NW Corner of Richmond Avenue & Monsey Place (where the people are leaning against the fence, waiting for the bus).

I hope you ride my bus on the 46 one day and try to give me an "earful".

Sorry, just saying though...

Yes, my thoughts exactly

as soon as it starts, pssssssssss pull the little yellow knob and ask every one to take the next bus ;)

Brakes are too hot can be driven safely or its time for a piss Break;)

Via Garibaldi 8 always bitching about something driver did, so its ok , just click ignore and keep going. ;)

There's one on the NW corner of Forest & Morningstar (by the pizza shop) and one on the NW Corner of Richmond Avenue & Monsey Place (where the people are leaning against the fence, waiting for the bus).

Can't find the pizza store. Finally saw the people leaning on the fence at Monsey Place. I've seen a narrower variety of the shelter without the glass on the third side that might fit the clearances there.

Can't find the pizza store. Finally saw the people leaning on the fence at Monsey Place. I've seen a narrower variety of the shelter without the glass on the third side that might fit the clearances there.

It says "Pizzeria & Cafe" and has a green awning. It looks like there are 2 people standing in front of it (Probably waiting for the bus. ;) ) and there's a trash can a little to the right.

On a side note, I think there was a fire or something because the pizzaria and nail salon are boarded up now. It's a shame. The food was pretty good. :(

Archived