Questions about short MNRR stations

Via Garibaldi 8

I took MetroNorth this morning and realized something that I hadn't thought about before. I generally use it when I go to bed REALLY late and want to sleep in until about 08:15 or so, which usually means maybe 4 - 5 hours of sleep tops, so that could be why I didn't think about this before as I usually try to catch a nap on the way in. Anywho, I've heard the announcement made before about having to go in the first 4? cars I believe to exit stations like Marble Hill, Morris Heights and University Heights, but I guess my question is, why are so many stations built like that along the Hudson line and is this a common theme with MetroNorth stations? Kind of surprising if you ask me since I thought there would be less limitations to build proper "full length" stations since most of these aren't underground?

Well to start off the stations you listed are on the Hudson Line. The platforms are only long enough to fit 4 cars, that's why they tell you to move up if getting off. Now those platforms aren't regular sized because of the low ridership it recieves. Why build an 8-12 car platform for a station that recieves little passengers?

Well to start off the stations you listed are on the Hudson Line. The platforms are only long enough to fit 4 cars, that's why they tell you to move up if getting off. Now those platforms aren't regular sized because of the low ridership it recieves. Why build an 8-12 car platform for a station that recieves little passengers?

I see... That makes sense I guess. And yes, I stated that they're on the Hudson Line... Yeah they don't get much usage. A part of me wonders if they would ever consider shutting down a few stations. I mean is it even worth keeping those stations open? Me personally Morris Heights and University Heights I wouldn't even bother with because it has such low ridership. You're lucky if you see one or two people get on. Yankees Stadium isn't that great either but during game nights and such that's obviously a decent draw, though I would think more people would use it if it was closer to the Stadium. The 125th street station seems to have more folks getting on than off, so it must see some usage at night with folks boarding.

Any other MNRR Lines like that with the short platforms?

Its like Melrose and Tremont RR stations, those use to be a bit longer, but ridership isn't high enough, which caused MNCR years ago to cut the size down. I know Melrose still has a few old station signs that can be seen on the Manhattan Platform which were left there after the station was made small. Those were not removed.

As has been said, all lines have their share of short platforms for whatever reason.

Just going by memory:

Harlem LIne: Melrose and Tremont are 2 car platforms. Williams Bridge, Woodlawn, Wakefield, Croton Falls and Brewster are 4 cars.

NH Line: Stratford, Track 1 @ Milford, Southport, and East Norwalk are 4 cars.

All lines have their share of 6 car platforms.

In retrospect, many stations on the Lower Harlem have 12 car platforms.

Brewster only has 4 cars? That must be messy during the PM rush...

MNR, unlike LIRR, runs lots of 6-8 car trains even in the middle of the day. They tend to run more frequent but shorter trains because they have the track capacity and frequency draws more passengers. The only 12 car sets are used during rush hours, and even then they can only be M3's (on the Harlem at least) due to power shortages.

Brewster only has 4 cars? That must be messy during the PM rush...

MNR, unlike LIRR, runs lots of 6-8 car trains even in the middle of the day. They tend to run more frequent but shorter trains because they have the track capacity and frequency draws more passengers. The only 12 car sets are used during rush hours, and even then they can only be M3's (on the Harlem at least) due to power shortages.

That Actually makes a lot of sense to do it that way, how much money would the mta save per train if they ran 6 cars vs 12 tho on the LIRR?

Guest MTA Bus

However every Harlem Line Train I took or seen had only 6 cars. And this is just weekends

All stations south of North White Plains have 12 car long platforms, which is why most Metro North Harlem line trains over 6 cars terminate there.

All stations south of North White Plains have 12 car long platforms, which is why most Metro North Harlem line trains over 6 cars terminate there.

All statoins south of North White until you get to Mount Vernon W are 12 car platforms with 2 exceptions: Both White Plains island and side platforms are 10 cars and the Scarsdale track 2 platform is 11 cars.

All statoins south of North White until you get to Mount Vernon W are 12 car platforms with 2 exceptions: Both White Plains island and side platforms are 10 cars and the Scarsdale track 2 platform is 11 cars.

How does that work at Scarsdale? Last I remembered to open an odd # of cars on an MU train one has to zone out a pair and then manually key open a car. That works for LIRR at NYP, but at an intermediate stop?

Speaking of cars, it seems like the Hudson line gets neglected in terms of seeing any of the new cars that are out. I always see newer cars bypassing my station (Spuyten Duyvil). What's up with that?? <_<

You have to be trolling with this post....

You have to be trolling with this post....

How so?? It's a legitimate question that perhaps I should've clarified. The newest cars coming out do not stop at the Spuyten Duyvil station. I see them on the Hudson Line but they must be used more so up in Westchester for those stops.

How so?? It's a legitimate question that perhaps I should've clarified. The newest cars coming out do not stop at the Spuyten Duyvil station. I see them on the Hudson Line but they must be used more so up in Westchester for those stops.

If you're talking about the ones that are powered by the diesel engine, then those are older than the M7s and its hour and a half from GCT to the last stop on the Hudson line going express. No reason for them to stop there

If you're talking about the M7As, those stop there all the time and most of the M3s are on the Harlem line.

If you're talking about the ones that are powered by the diesel engine, then those are older than the M7s and its hour and a half from GCT to the last stop on the Hudson line going express. No reason for them to stop there

If you're talking about the M7As, those stop there all the time and most of the M3s are on the Harlem line.

I don't know which ones they are but they're the newest ones coming out and I was under the impression that they would be spread around as they should be.

I don't know which ones they are but they're the newest ones coming out and I was under the impression that they would be spread around as they should be.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?100781

^^^ That's the newest train on the Hudson line.

Seems like whatever trip you ride uses these trains most of the time...

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?90522

And this is the other train the Hudson line uses...

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?92340

The Husdon line only uses the three train types above,

For the other fans, yea I know there's another shoreliner cabcar that looks slightly different, would be petty to post photos of both since there very slimar.

http://www.nycsubway...erl/show?100781

^^^ That's the newest train on the Hudson line.

Seems like whatever trip you ride uses these trains most of the time...

http://www.nycsubway...perl/show?90522

And this is the other train the Hudson line uses...

http://www.nycsubway...perl/show?92340

The Husdon line only uses the three train types above,

For the other fans, yea I know there's another shoreliner cabcar that looks slightly different, would be petty to post photos of both since there very slimar.

Ah, okay so they are spreading them around because the first one I get most of the time, but I didn't think those were the newest ones. I saw one with a reddish strip running along the side and I thought those were the really newest ones? They look like they could be M8s on the side but I wasn't sure. They always are express trains though and they look like they have the red seats. The second one you showed I had once and wasn't thrilled about it since they didn't have the automated stops and were kind of outdated on the inside including a lack of AC. The third one I don't believe I've ever used and I hope to never to get it especially for what they charge on MetroNorth.

Ah, okay so they are spreading them around because the first one I get most of the time, but I didn't think those were the newest ones. I saw one with a reddish strip running along the side and I thought those were the really newest ones? They look like they could be M8s on the side but I wasn't sure. They always are express trains though and they look like they have the red seats. The second one you showed I had once and wasn't thrilled about it since they didn't have the automated stops and were kind of outdated on the inside including a lack of AC. The third one I don't believe I've ever used and I hope to never to get it especially for what they charge on MetroNorth.

Are you talking about a shoreliner with a red stripe?

Because M8s are exclusive to the NH line.

Are you talking about a shoreliner with a red stripe?

Because M8s are exclusive to the NH line.

I don't know what they're called but they had a red stripe on them on the side with what looked like red seats. They looked relatively new so I just assumed they were the newest one after having seen what the M8s look like. In any event these are always express trains running on the Hudson Line.

Archived