Crazy Time at New Rochelle and Pelham

Bracamonte

I was taking a trip on Metro North's New Haven Line from Grand Central to New Rochelle. When I got off at New Rochelle, I went to the other platform and waited for the train back to Grand Central, which was supposed to arrive at 12:33pm. The train never arrived. Then I overheard someone that a train was disabled and that's when the announcement said that there are delays.

Then around 12:50pm. The train has arrived, finally relieved. But when we arrived at Pelham, the conductor said that the train was having brake problems and that we had to leave. Everyone was frustrated. BTW, the train was an M8.

The announcement said that the next train to Grand Central will arrive on the northbound track. The train arrived, which was also an M8. After leaving Pelham, the train stopped and did not move for a while. The conductor then announced that the train was experiencing mechanical problems, further fueling the frustration as we had already got out from a train with a similar issue. Some of the crew went outside on the tracks to check out the problem. After 20 minutes, the train began moving again. The conductor said that there was a problem with the pantograph that it has been locked during the switchover.

This was the first time I rode the M8's and I couldn't believe that it ran into problems.

This is why, if I'm going to head into Westchester. I'll just use Bee-Line. No need for MNCR service unless I'm above Tarrytown and White Plains or if Bee-Line is not available at times..

For M-8 issues, thats a lot for a single day. Not good news.

This is why, if I'm going to head into Westchester. I'll just use Bee-Line. No need for MNCR service unless I'm above Tarrytown and White Plains or if Bee-Line is not available at times..

Bee-Line does take a while. Although from pelham, no. Damn... that's bad. Ive never had bad problems on MetroNorth.

Id rather take a train than sit on a bus all the way from Manhattan or the Bronx up to Westchester. Metro North is usually very reliable and on time.

That was a case of double bad luck. 1355 had brake failure in one of the cars, and 1357 had a cocked shoe on one of the pantographs which caused it to not go down. Both M8 sets were shopped after those trips. Quality stuff MNRR bought!

Those arent Metro North M8 numbers, they are numbered from 9100 onwards, 9000 is M6, 8900 is M4, 8400-8800 series is M2, 8000-8100 series is M3A, formerly 8200-8300 was for the M1A

Bee-Line does take a while. Although from pelham, no. Damn... that's bad. Ive never had bad problems on MetroNorth.

Some routes will take some time, but from the many times I have taken Bee-Line a slight amount it does comes late, especially the 60.

Id rather take a train than sit on a bus all the way from Manhattan or the Bronx up to Westchester. Metro North is usually very reliable and on time.

Well your case is different of course, since your not from within Bronx or Westchester.

Some routes will take some time, but from the many times I have taken Bee-Line a slight amount it does comes late, especially the 60.

Well your case is different of course, since your not from within Bronx or Westchester.

if we wanna make a more close to home analogy for me, Id rather sit on the LIRR than any Nassau bus, any day. The Long Island Railroad is faster, and more comfortable.

That was a case of double bad luck. 1355 had brake failure in one of the cars, and 1357 had a cocked shoe on one of the pantographs which caused it to not go down. Both M8 sets were shopped after those trips. Quality stuff MNRR bought!

Brakes are something you can't mess around with. The pantographs not locking down during change over is just dumb luck.

As far as the "quality" stuff MNRR bought, they are not 100% liable. It's CDOT that is also responsible for the purchases. Plus when you have to go with the lowest bidder.....

I was working in a M8 about a month ago that had water pouring in the car and it wasn't even raining out. Apparently the air conditioner wasn't draining properly. I guess I can't complain too much as it did have air conditioning that worked.

Those were the train #'s, jeez. The car #s were 9122 and 9146.

Yeah, that's an obvious one. LOL. All odd numbered 1300 series trains are Stamford to GCT inbounds (with few exceptions).

if we wanna make a more close to home analogy for me, Id rather sit on the LIRR than any Nassau bus, any day. The Long Island Railroad is faster, and more comfortable.

Truth is, both Bus and Rail, even Bee-Line versus NICE Bus and Metro-North versus Long Island Railroad have their pros and cons. Plus, the Queens/Nassau arguement can be made to be compared with Bronx/Westchester, can't just say oh because I'm a Bronxite the guys in Long Island can't say stuff!

Still in my standpoint, I'd rather be on a railroad for 36 hours than be on a bus for 2-3 hours, still that's my preferences.

Either ways, there is no better alternative to one another, you can't just say that Bee-Line is better when a Kawasaki M8 malfunctioned on the NHL, same for if a Neoplan broke down on the W20 Bus, the Harlem Line is instantly better. The real thing is both suck and both rock, simple and straightforward. Before I confuse the heck outta people, I'll end here.

Sunday night, I took the 8:37 PM from GCT to New Rochelle. The conductor announced at Pelham that service was suspended because of downed trees from the storm. Mobs try to find a cab to get home. Suddenly, a voice from the heavens says the train will go as far as Harrison and terminate because all tracks are out of service from Rye to Stamford. Then its announced that passengers to New Haven should go to New Rochelle and change to a New Haven train. (It must be the 9:07 held at New Rochelle.) I don't understand why the New Haven train can get through downed trees but not the Stamford local.

The train crew did a good job with announcements.

Considering the confusion, I was lucky to get to New Rochelle only twenty minutes late.

Sunday night, I took the 8:37 PM from GCT to New Rochelle. The conductor announced at Pelham that service was suspended because of downed trees from the storm. Mobs try to find a cab to get home. Suddenly, a voice from the heavens says the train will go as far as Harrison and terminate because all tracks are out of service from Rye to Stamford. Then its announced that passengers to New Haven should go to New Rochelle and change to a New Haven train. (It must be the 9:07 held at New Rochelle.) I don't understand why the New Haven train can get through downed trees but not the Stamford local.

The train crew did a good job with announcements.

Considering the confusion, I was lucky to get to New Rochelle only twenty minutes late.

Tell me about it. I was in the whole experience today. Diesels were replacing trains between GCT and Stamford while electrics terminated at Stamford. I was about to ride on the bar car to New Haven when they announced that we had to transfer to a diesel train at the upper level.

Tell me about it. I was in the whole experience today. Diesels were replacing trains between GCT and Stamford while electrics terminated at Stamford. I was about to ride on the bar car to New Haven when they announced that we had to transfer to a diesel train at the upper level.

My apartment is next to the New Rochelle train station. Engineers blow the whistle when passing a platform, even if not stopping. It was unusually quiet this morning with few whistles, but a parade of grumbling diesels. I saw the usual blue and one in the McGinnis colors.

I don't understand why the New Haven train can get through downed trees but not the Stamford local.

Because of the downed trees the power was shut down. What likely happened is they were running bomb equipment and dodged the trees and lack of power.

What likely happened is they were running bomb equipment and dodged the trees and lack of power.

He means Bombardier Shoreliner cars pulled by GE P32-AC-DM powered trains

And how does Bomb equipment dodge trees?

Because of the downed trees the power was shut down. What likely happened is they were running bomb equipment and dodged the trees and lack of power.

The New Haven train was electric. I don't understand how bomb equipment can dodge trees?

you do realize NICE as a whole can't compete with LIRR right it is more like a feeder where buses take you to LIRR. However I do take LIRR over buses like N24/22& 20 anyday with N6 being an exception. When I go to great neck I usually transfer to N58 to get to my destination. I usually use NICE to LIRR. I don't have a preferrance for buses or trains I take the fastest route. N58 ain't slow FYI dont confuse it with N20

The New Haven train was electric. I don't understand how bomb equipment can dodge trees?

Forget that idea, I didn't realize the NH train was electric equipment.

Bomb trains can't dodge trees but if for some reason they were able to clear up one track they can get trains through with out power. I don't know to what extent the trees were fouling the tracks.

Archived