Keystone Cops run the 5 Train

nostalgia

I attended in June a festival celebrating the 100th anniversary of the NY, Westchester, and Boston Railway, which is now the (5) line. I wanted to see the former railway's offices, used today by the MTA. I was able to see part of the building as the train arrived E 180th Street station. I rode the train to the end of the line, which was track Y1. The next train was sitting on Y2 with some of the doors open. The operator got in the cab, when suddenly, passengers were told to get on the train on track Y1. The operator got in the cab, the starting chimes sounded, when suddenly, passengers were told to go back to the train on track Y2. The conductor went crazy, trying to get the late, getting later by the moment, train out of Eastchester. He shut the doors before the operator got on the train. The operator keyed open a door, which the conductor closed. Meanwhile, the buzzer sounded like a fire alarm. The operator finally got in, keyed up and left late. The train is so late, that at E 180, the (2) behind us ran "M" track to get back on schedule.

At Atlantic Avenue, a supervisor asks the operator about the lateness. I don't know what he said but I could tell it wasn't the full story. After the train left, I explained everything. The supervisor thanked me.

Was this an older train or a New Tech Train?

I dont remember any Supervision at Atlantic Ave standing on platforms asking trains for lateness.

The man held a clipboard, wore a reflective vest and spoke to the T/O. Maybe he wasn't a supervisor, but he definitely was recording the arrival of (4) and (5) trains going towards Utica. The train arrived Atlantic Avenue Friday around 3 PM.

I'm not an expert on equipment, but based on pictures, it was a R142.

At Atlantic Avenue, a supervisor asks the operator about the lateness. I don't know what he said but I could tell it wasn't the full story. After the train left, I explained everything. The supervisor thanked me.

So a civilian told an MTA "supervisor" what an MTA employee did or did not do. Seems legit. :rolleyes:

Like a restaurant manager telling Con Edison what's good on the job.

Ah, the 15 year old know-it-all.

Well, let's see. I was at Eastchester and saw everything. YOU weren't there and pretend to know more than me. Yep, there's nothing like arrogance to cover up for ignorance.

Well, let's see. I was at Eastchester and saw everything. YOU weren't there and pretend to know more than me. Yep, there's nothing like arrogance to cover up for ignorance.

Mind your own business. You had no reason to listen in on that conversation and then take the liberty of answering for the train crew, and I doubt the guy in the vest, whether he be a supervisor or not, gave a crap about what you had to say. Quite frankly if I were that guy and after asking the train operator, who is an MTA employee that must talk to the guy because it's his job, some random guy came up to me and started telling me this whole story about the train, I'd think that I'm dealing with some nut or crazy person and wouldn't even listen to them.

Also, what do you expect to accomplish by posting this story here? Do you think we're all going to be like "Great job!" or give you a hero's welcome for improving train flow? Get your head out of the MTA's ass and let the employees do their job.

Mind your own business. You had no reason to listen in on that conversation and then take the liberty of answering for the train crew, and I doubt the guy in the vest, whether he be a supervisor or not, gave a crap about what you had to say. Quite frankly if I were that guy and after asking the train operator, who is an MTA employee that must talk to the guy because it's his job, some random guy came up to me and started telling me this whole story about the train, I'd think that I'm dealing with some nut or crazy person and wouldn't even listen to them.

Also, what do you expect to accomplish by posting this story here? Do you think we're all going to be like "Great job!" or give you a hero's welcome for improving train flow? Get your head out of the MTA's ass and let the employees do their job.

Well, let's see. The MTA employee thanked me and said "Well, that makes more sense." I'm not looking for anybody's approval, just reporting what I saw, which is what a lot of members do.

You need to relax. This has really upset you.

Peace be with you.

Well I don't see reason enough to jump down a passenger's throat over such involvement in this case (not every case), God knows best all the details. Supervisors are more likely going to take the crew's word over the passenger's. Depending on the situation the supervisor could get himself in trouble for taking a passenger's story over the crew's but, as is pointed out, the story reported by the passenger appears to have been made as an addendum.

It's very likely that what was reported to the supervisor by the train crew was all the supervisor needed to know.

I find a few things that seem a little odd in the whole scenario. IF the Dyre line is tied into the ATS system everyone down the line would know the reason for any lateness. The info would be availible as soon as the train left the terminal. RCC would know in real-time. The MTA employee at Atlantic Avenue appears to be a traffic checker, IMO, because I don't ever recall a supervisor in RTO standing on a platform with a clipboard. Traffic checkers are issued clipboards. Personally, unless there was an accident/incident at the location and I was a passenger I would never get involved in such a situation. I'm an old school type. Unless I was asked directly by a PO or someone who could prove they needed such information, F 'em. I was told many years ago MYOB. That's my take on the whole story. Carry on.

Depending on the situation the supervisor could get himself in trouble for taking a passenger's story over the crew's but, as is pointed out, the story reported by the passenger appears to have been made as an addendum.

It's very likely that what was reported to the supervisor by the train crew was all the supervisor needed to know.

This is a definite factor to consider to be fair. Most likely this incident was reported correctly but with any establishment there will be employees telling tall tales. Also passengers. So I'm not coming to the defense of either parties.

@ Peacemaker, yeah was you there to get the exclusive on the incident?

@ Peacemaker, yeah was you there to get the exclusive on the incident?

Obviously I was not there and even if I was, I would not interfere with a profession I'm not a part of. I have no say in the situation no matter if I saw what happen or not.

And if you trying to say something about my comment with this question, insults me, with the shit grammar you just used.

And if you trying to say something about my comment with this question, insults me, with the shit grammar you just used.

Oh we got an internet tough guy on the net. Lol. Somebody needs to give you a hug.

Get over it. The internet isn't that serious.

I'm not even going to start with you because you already made a fool of yourself in previous threads.

Oh we got an internet tough guy on the net. Lol. Somebody needs to give you a hug.

Get over it. The internet isn't that serious.

Coming from a guy that wanted to say racism against Asian's is a world topic over any type of racism. Yeah I'm the tough guy though.

Dyre line is tied into the ATS system

The 5 line IS tied into the ATS system so i have no idea what this kid is talking about..

Traffic checkers are issued clipboards.

Exactly so i think this kid is making chit up which is sad...

Archived