Waste of time today with the station agent

alekr

Today I was at the 7 train main street station I saw this huge line of people waiting for their turn at the station agent booth. I waited 8 minutes there was only 1 station agent on duty and finally after 8 minutes of hell sweltering down there the agent informed me the machines for the refilling metrocards was not working instead told me to go thru gate. Then I missed the train I was so close to getting in the train. My special reduced fare metrocard needed to be refilled by the agent not the machines and I was out of fare. At least I got an "free" ride one way to Midtown

I mean come on why they couldn't write a big fat sign saying the refilling machine is not working use machines or go thru gate guaring by the MTA police.

• 3 weeks later...

Today I was at the 7 train main street station I saw this huge line of people waiting for their turn at the station agent booth. I waited 8 minutes there was only 1 station agent on duty and finally after 8 minutes of hell sweltering down there the agent informed me the machines for the refilling metrocards was not working instead told me to go thru gate. Then I missed the train I was so close to getting in the train. My special reduced fare metrocard needed to be refilled by the agent not the machines and I was out of fare. At least I got an "free" ride one way to Midtown

I mean come on why they couldn't write a big fat sign saying the refilling machine is not working use machines or go thru gate guaring by the MTA police.

If there was a big sign then EVERYBODY would go thru rather than the handful with no money on their cards. Here's some advice: fill our card on your way OUT of a station before it runs out and during non peak hours.

Here's some advice: fill your card on your way OUT of a station before it runs out and during non peak hours.

Yeah, I don't refill my metrocard at church av (B)(Q) in the morning (there's seldom a time when both those machines take bills).... like this morning, I noticed the MVM on the left - No Bills, the MVM on the right - Exact change..... the line for the booth was at least 20 deep....

Getting out at W 4th st, doesn't matter what time of day it is - The only thing I'm sick of is the ppl. bumping in to me as I'm refilling my MC (really don't like ppl. that close to me as I'm at the MVM either.... same feeling like you don't want no one all up on you at an ATM)..... too bad they cant knock the wall back a couple feet at that station....

Yeah, I don't refill my metrocard at church av (B)(Q) in the morning (there's seldom a time when both those machines take bills).... like this morning, I noticed the MVM on the left - No Bills, the MVM on the right - Exact change..... the line for the booth was at least 20 deep....

Getting out at W 4th st, doesn't matter what time of day it is - The only thing I'm sick of is the ppl. bumping in to me as I'm refilling my MC (really don't like ppl. that close to me as I'm at the MVM either.... same feeling like you don't want no one all up on you at an ATM)..... too bad they cant knock the wall back a couple feet at that station....

I refill my cards at off hours and try to have my cards run out on Sunday when fewer people are traveling this way there is no one around when I do my refills and just refill a few at a time, this way I have to do refills as little as possible to begin with. West 4th has to be one of the worst stations to do refills at. Not only it is always crowded (in other words always some idiots around), but the turnstiles generally don't work for sh*t and I would imagine that the MVM's aren't much better.

....West 4th has to be one of the worst stations to do refills at. Not only it is always crowded (in other words always some idiots around), but the turnstiles generally don't work for sh*t and I would imagine that the MVM's aren't much better.

The turnstiles are a separate problem I have with that end (the entrance/exit closest to the movie theatre, not the one further up 6th av); not uncommon to have to swipe 3+ times before going through; doesn't matter which turnstile you pick...... As far as the MVM's, seems like there's a technician at that station at least once a week during the work week fixing any one of the machines.... But yeah, there's inadequate spacing for all the ppl coming from the 6th av line & the 8th av line bumrushing the turnstiles exiting/entering the station.... It also doesn't help during the afternoon & the evening (especially) when you have people loitering around babbling about a bunch of nothin & shit, all blocking the way..... Between like 6-8pm is when the loitering is at its worst (on fridays, that can extend onto well past 10pm, when the college kids are all drunk & loaded)....

The turnstiles are a separate problem I have with that end (the entrance/exit closest to the movie theatre, not the one further up 6th av); not uncommon to have to swipe 3+ times before going through; doesn't matter which turnstile you pick...... As far as the MVM's, seems like there's a technician at that station at least once a week during the work week fixing any one of the machines.... But yeah, there's inadequate spacing for all the ppl coming from the 6th av line & the 8th av line bumrushing the turnstiles exiting/entering the station.... It also doesn't help during the afternoon & the evening (especially) when you have people loitering around babbling about a bunch of nothin & shit, all blocking the way..... Between like 6-8pm is when the loitering is at its worst (on fridays, that can extend onto well past 10pm, when the college kids are all drunk & loaded)....

What I find weird is that if you compare West 4th to say Union Square or Grand Central (two other heavily used stations as you know), West 4th is probably the worst in terms of the machines being upkept. At Grand Central there is one MVM machine that has a messed up reader that hasn't been able to read cards for years.... I just avoid it completely.

Well at the Main St. station on the 7, you have two subway booths you can go to, the one by the escalators or the one at main & roosevelt.

I've never seen a massive (>6 person) line at the deep one. The Roosevelt one is always a mess.

And what determines the number of station agents in a booth? For example, last year, at around 1PM, there were 2 station agents in the booth for High St and no customers.

What I find weird is that if you compare West 4th to say Union Square or Grand Central (two other heavily used stations as you know), West 4th is probably the worst in terms of the machines being upkept. At Grand Central there is one MVM machine that has a messed up reader that hasn't been able to read cards for years.... I just avoid it completely.

There's 2 MVMs in GCT itself that don't seem to get much use, they're on the main level under the West Balcony (on the side closer to the tracks) next to a bunch of MNRR ticket machines. Barely anyone was in there during the PM rush and everyone in there was using the MNRR TVMs.

There's 2 MVMs in GCT itself that don't seem to get much use, they're on the main level under the West Balcony (on the side closer to the tracks) next to a bunch of MNRR ticket machines. Barely anyone was in there during the PM rush and everyone in there was using the MNRR TVMs.

Yeah I know where you're talking about and they do get some use, though as you said more MNRR folks since there a ton of MNRR machines there. I believe one of those machines are messed up though depending on which payment method you use.

I've never seen a massive (>6 person) line at the deep one. The Roosevelt one is always a mess.

And what determines the number of station agents in a booth? For example, last year, at around 1PM, there were 2 station agents in the booth for High St and no customers.

It could be a Lunch Relief person. Someone who takes over for the Agents 30 minute lunch break.

I have a reduced fare metrocard too, but it is an EZ PAY card, which I refill with a debit carda on the COMPUTER when I run low on money.

If you use it enough times within a specifc 30 day period, it will turn into a unlimited.

Best think I ever did .

Archived