NHL 2012-2013 season & News Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My wish came true! Tortorella got canned!

Good Riddance.

What I'm worried about now is if Lundqvist will stay after next season (since his contract would then be up)....

....This was one of those either Richards has to go or Tortorella has to go.

Don't see this as an either or situation, I see it as both..... Richards will be bought out & sent off elsewhere

This firing of Torts has the feeling like something else organization-wise is gonna happen....

Well, whatever ends up happening, So far, one mission accomplished...

Good Riddance.

What I'm worried about now is if Lundqvist will stay after next season (since his contract would then be up)....

Don't see this as an either or situation, I see it as both..... Richards will be bought out & sent off elsewhere

This firing of Torts has the feeling like something else organization-wise is gonna happen....

Well that's a possibility too, but the issue is they can't just dump his salary like that.  That's a huge cap hit with a lot of years left and I'm not sure if anyone will want to pick up that salary.  The problem with the Rangers is they lack scoring in general, haven't had good puck moving defencemen since Leetch and Zubov and don't have guys that can consistently score and pick up the slack when the big boys aren't scoring.  They've been doing the same thing every year since after they won the Cup... Signing a few big names and expecting them to score like crazy.  They've got a solid team but some of these guys just aren't skilled enough to put up huge numbers.  Kind of like when they brought in Drury and Gomez. LOL! I mean seriously, these guys were good players, but not 1st line players that would ever put up huge numbers.

Good Riddance.

i think that his firing was due to several issues, but after what lundqvist said the other day, not committing past this year with the rangers, i think henrik had a hand in it too, like what magic johnson did to paul westhead

joe

• 3 weeks later...

No bullshit, I thought the playoffs was over & done with already.....

Well, the league got what's best for them (Blackhawks winning the cup instead of the Bruins)....

Sports media however would've liked to have had the Bruins winning it; would've been a bigger story - They would've played into that whole "Boston Strong" theme & what not....

Well I'm glad it wasn't Boston that won. If it was for the tragedy news and the 'feel good stuff', then the Yankees should've won it all in 2001 for the 9/11 attacks. So I'm glad this rings true that the team's city that had a tragedy doesn't get the win (not saying they shouldn't, but sick of the 'feel good crap' by the news media).

• 2 weeks later...

Ilya Kovalchuk retires with 12 yrs/77 million left on his contract, and the devils willingly okay-ed the decision.....

Mind you, this was the same team that got fined 3 million bucks & lost a couple draft picks for their initial offer to the guy (17 yrs/102 million)....

This whole thing smells fishy to me (buyer's remorse like a MF-er); aren't the Devils cash-strapped right now? They (devils organization) knew that Ilya wanted to go back to Russia at some point (to play for that same team he played for during the NHL lockout), so I'm willing to bet they forced the issue..... I'm not buying that Ilya, at 30, wanted to retire from the NHL out of the thin blue sky like that.....

side note: If I had a son & if I was playing professional sports, I would be embarrassed with myself that my son'll be playing on the same professional league (and in the same locker room at that) when I am.... This past NHL draft, they had Martin Brodeur announce his son's (w/e his name is) drafting to the team.... I don't see that as heart-warming situation at all.... And he (Martin) wants to play for 3 more years too.... smh....

Ilya Kovalchuk retires with 12 yrs/77 million left on his contract, and the devils willingly okay-ed the decision.....

Mind you, this was the same team that got fined 3 million bucks & lost a couple draft picks for their initial offer to the guy (17 yrs/102 million)....

This whole thing smells fishy to me (buyer's remorse like a MF-er); aren't the Devils cash-strapped right now? They (devils organization) knew that Ilya wanted to go back to Russia at some point (to play for that same team he played for during the NHL lockout), so I'm willing to bet they forced the issue..... I'm not buying that Ilya, at 30, wanted to retire from the NHL out of the thin blue sky like that.....

side note: If I had a son & if I was playing professional sports, I would be embarrassed with myself that my son'll be playing on the same professional league (and in the same locker room at that) when I am.... This past NHL draft, they had Martin Brodeur announce his son's (w/e his name is) drafting to the team.... I don't see that as heart-warming situation at all.... And he (Martin) wants to play for 3 more years too.... smh....

Why would you be embarrassed? Brodeur had his son when he was quite young.  You have quite a few 40 somethings that are still playing in the league and quite well.  Teemu Selanne comes to mind.

As for the Devils, the league bailed them out of their financial situation and I believe they've paid back the loan so they should be ok. With Kovalchuk leaving this of course frees up some cap space, but the only way they'll get someone now is through a trade or free agency and most of the good free agents have been signed.  However, they still have some guys that can score so they may just decide to play with what they have and then make some changes later on as needed.  They've got two good goalies and a solid defense in front and they've signed some of their regulars but they still have some questions up front.  However, they've always found a way to win with not the most talented of teams since they play well within a system so we'll just have to wait and see.

Why would you be embarrassed? Brodeur had his son when he was quite young.  You have quite a few 40 somethings that are still playing in the league and quite well.  Teemu Selanne comes to mind.

As for the Devils, the league bailed them out of their financial situation and I believe they've paid back the loan so they should be ok. With Kovalchuk leaving this of course frees up some cap space, but the only way they'll get someone now is through a trade or free agency and most of the good free agents have been signed.  However, they still have some guys that can score so they may just decide to play with what they have and then make some changes later on as needed.  They've got two good goalies and a solid defense in front and they've signed some of their regulars but they still have some questions up front.  However, they've always found a way to win with not the most talented of teams since they play well within a system so we'll just have to wait and see.

Sure there are 40 somethings in sports that play quite well..... To answer your question though, because it's a sign that I'm OLD (which 40 in sports, is) & I should have been thinking of retirement - instead of still thinkin about playing professional sports well into my 40's..... At some point you gotta break away from the game (as a player)....

As for the team in-particular, I don't know what decent players (outside of Marty himself) they got left....

Last time I followed the Devils, Marty was still in his prime..... Do they still got that kid Parise or what?

Sure there are 40 somethings in sports that play quite well..... To answer your question though, because it's a sign that I'm OLD (which 40 in sports, is) & I should have been thinking of retirement - instead of still thinkin about playing professional sports well into my 40's..... At some point you gotta break away from the game (as a player)....

As for the team in-particular, I don't know what decent players (outside of Marty himself) they got left....

Last time I followed the Devils, Marty was still in his prime..... Do they still got that kid Parise or what?

LMAO! Parise signed with the Wild last year for big bucks... They still have some veterans like Elias.  I think the sport is changing... You're seeing a lot more 40 somethings that can still play... Jagr, Selanne, and Alfredsson with Detroit come to mind and several others that will be approaching 40 in the next few years...

Archived