NHL 2012-2013 season & News Thread

Shortline Bus

If Bettman and his NHL TV execs were smart, they would have their "Center Ice" Pay Per View package for free for at least the entire regular season. I know it wont happen but that would be a great public relations idea to get back fans ticked off from this work stoppage. Plus ticket prices as low as $10 for 'nose bleed seats" (hello NY Islanders)for couple of games as well. That would be help alot.

Yeah I can tell you right now... If it's too high I will cancel it for this season... I expect to get some sort of the deal this year... I've been watching re-runs beyond belief now on NHL Network and I've had enough.  They had a WHL game on last night.. The quality and speed was so subpar...  -_- 

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well in honor of the lockout ending and new nhl season starting next weekend here Rangers "All world" Goalie Henrik Lundqvist on NBC's Jimmy Fallon show on Friday 1/11/13. Mr. Lundqvist doing a Bernie Williams(former Yankee all star Centerfielder of their late '90's/early 2000's championship era) :D

So just 48 hours to start of the shortned 2012-2013 season. NBC and NBC sports net will show 70-plus games during the regular season in US. Plus during the Cup playoffs for 2nd straight year, all games will be on "National TV" in US (i.e NBC sports Net, CNBC and of course NBC-TV)

So something to look foward to. A question for VG8 or any NHL fans? How much is the league offering their "Center Ice" PPV package?

So just 48 hours to start of the shortned 2012-2013 season. NBC and NBC sports net will show 70-plus games during the regular season in US. Plus during the Cup playoffs for 2nd straight year, all games will be on "National TV" in US (i.e NBC sports Net, CNBC and of course NBC-TV)

So something to look foward to. A question for VG8 or any NHL fans? How much is the league offering their "Center Ice" PPV package?

lol... I called DirecTV the other day... Not too bad... $14.99 for 4 months, so I kept it.

And the guys haven't been playing for 9 months. No one's playing their best hockey right now. Wait until we're a dozen games into the season before criticizing. 

Hey listen there's only 48 games so every game counts, especially since a lot of these games will be against division rivals.  It's only going to get worse as time goes with the grueling schedule and tons of back-to-back games.

Sports Illustrated has the Penguins and Canucks meeting in the Finals. What's y'all picks?

Not too sure I agree with that... I think it's a bit too early to say... One thing I will say is if Detroit doesn't get their act together, I can see them missing the playoffs this year... I watched them against Columbus last night and while Columbus is a pesky team these days, Detroit usually takes care of them with no problem but they had to go to shootouts just to win.  The Wild look really so far.... If they can stay healthy I think they can go deep.. Watched a bit of the Stars vs Wild game and all of the Avs vs Wild game and they're solid defensively with some scoring finally up front.  With Suter they've got a quarterback on the blue line which they haven't really had before even with Burns back there.  I watched the Predators last night and they clearly miss Suter. They looked quite disorganized last night and Rinne looked overaggressive to say the least.

Typical Gaborik coming out of the shadows to score the GW goal in OT last night.... About time the Rangers win a game.........

Glad that actual hockey is being played now, but still - Typically, I don't like strike-shortened seasons (any sport)... Usually some team ends up winning it all that no one expects to, that most likely wouldn't have (made the playoffs) if it were a full season in that given year....

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news for Phoenix Coyote fans.

Greg Jamison, the person in line to purchase the team, failed to acquire enough money or investors to buy it by the deadline.

Hope for the team to stay in Phoenix/Glendale is now dashed, and the NHL is back to square one. For a franchise like the Coyotes, this is royally bad. Since relocating from Winnipeg in 1996, they've operated at losses every single year. The ownership issues and arena worsened the financial woes.

Jamison, however, isn't out of the picture. He can still purchase the Coyotes, but the deal won't be as sweet as it originally was. But with the original deal off the table, there's speculation where the team might relocate to next season or the year after that. Three options are Seattle; Quebec City; and Markham, Ontario: Each of these cities are building arenas large enough to host hockey teams. Quebec City may be the leading candidate because it has a hockey-ready arena already (Colisée Pepsi/Pepsi Coliseum), while the other two don't.

About a month into the rapid short season some interesting points. The Blackhawks are off to an amazing start not yet losing a game as they are looking the best team so far. While closer to home the Islanders have done little bit better than expected currently in 9th place in the NHL East Division. While Rangers are off to a slow start but playing better recently. And the Devils are in 2nd place in the Atlantic Division.

As a whole the NHL tv ratings are in a bit of a surprise higher than during this point a year ago in a full 2011-2012 regular season. This shows IMO that the NHL 80-plus game regular season is too long and should be around 70-plus games starting around the first week of November. (Same could be said for NBA but that for chat in the pro basketball thread) 

reactions?

• 2 weeks later...

About a month into the rapid short season some interesting points. The Blackhawks are off to an amazing start not yet losing a game as they are looking the best team so far. While closer to home the Islanders have done little bit better than expected currently in 9th place in the NHL East Division. While Rangers are off to a slow start but playing better recently. And the Devils are in 2nd place in the Atlantic Division.

As a whole the NHL tv ratings are in a bit of a surprise higher than during this point a year ago in a full 2011-2012 regular season. This shows IMO that the NHL 80-plus game regular season is too long and should be around 70-plus games starting around the first week of November. (Same could be said for NBA but that for chat in the pro basketball thread) 

reactions?

Wow no hockey talk.

Please, for the love of the Pope, move the Coyotes to Seattle. 

Or Portland, Org. Or Milawukee here in US. Or North of the border in Hamilton, Ontario or Quebec City. IMO the Sun Belt/Southern US has more than enough teams.

If they did not have a building they owned I would have also move the Fla. Panthers out of the Miami area as well.

Or Portland, Org. Or Milawukee here in US. Or North of the border in Hamilton, Ontario or Quebec City. IMO the Sun Belt/Southern US has more than enough teams.

If they did not have a building they owned I would have also move the Fla. Panthers out of the Miami area as well.

Please, for the love of the Pope, move the Coyotes to Seattle. 

Not this crap again... What's happening with Phoenix is the same thing that happened with the Devils... It has to do with the ownership and nothing more.  If the owernship can't afford to keep running the team then the NHL steps in to assist.  The Devil's ownership have money issues as well as had to borrow money from the NHL to pay its bills.  Apparently you two forgot what happened in Winnipeg and Québec.  Both cities had strong fan bases but were in small markets with struggling owners, hence why both teams left. With Atlanta, it was the issue of disinterested fans with with slumping ticket revenues, ownership was losing millions every year and the NHL was forced to step in and relocate team to a place where there was a new area, with a strong fan base, but also stable owners, which is what the current Winnipeg Jets have.

Well last night (2/23/13) on Hockey Night in Canada, it was leaked for a possible new rumored (and IMO)

much better realignment plan that could start as early as next season. (2013-'14 season) In new plan the Red Wings and Blue Jackets would shift (both in Eastern Time Zone)to the Eastern Conference.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2013/02/24/nhl-realignment-proposal-report/1942539/

The reported new proposal

Western Conference

A: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

B: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

C: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto

D: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

Well last night (2/23/13) on Hockey Night in Canada, it was leaked for a possible new rumored (and IMO)

much better realignment plan that could start as early as next season. (2013-'14 season) In new plan the Red Wings and Blue Jackets would shift (both in Eastern Time Zone)to the Eastern Conference.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/2013/02/24/nhl-realignment-proposal-report/1942539/

The reported new proposal

Western Conference

A: Anaheim, Calgary, Edmonton, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver

B: Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, Minnesota, Nashville, St. Louis, Winnipeg

Eastern Conference

C: Boston, Buffalo, Detroit, Florida, Montreal, Ottawa, Tampa Bay, Toronto

D: Carolina, Columbus, New Jersey, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington

lol... Yeah this is old news... I heard about this weeks ago... The only thing they have to work out is how to deal with the imbalance in the East and West since the West has fewer clubs. The NHLPA wants the playoff scenario to be even for both conferences.  In other words, it shouldn't be easier in the West because they are fewer teams and be a dog fight in the East because there are more teams.

Archived