NHL 2012-2013 season & News Thread

Shortline Bus

Speaking of the Blue Jackets.... Marian Gaborik is gone....

Let them have that waste of space....

Don't know shit about this Ryane Clowe guy we just picked up, but I'll take anyone over Gaborik right now....

lol... Clowe is a good role player and provides grit and is a guy who is good defensively.  He may not score a lot but he's a role player that the Rangers lost when they traded for Nash and will make guys accountable in a locker room.  The Gaborik trade is a gamble... It's tough trading away a goal scorer like Gaborik, but the Rangers needed more role players who can score here and there.  Columbus needed a winger that could produce and Gaborik has been in Tortorella's dog house for the entire season, so with him coming off shoulder surgery this is the rebirth that he needed.  Dorsett and Brassard have played with Nash back in Columbus so they may play on a line together.  

Management in Columbus with John Davidson and the new Finnish GM may finally be building a true contender in the next few years.  Davidson is the former Ranger's announcer who was a great goalie for them back in the old days and a very savvy guy in terms of knowing talent and the game.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol... Clowe is a good role player and provides grit and is a guy who is good defensively.  He may not score a lot but he's a role player that the Rangers lost when they traded for Nash and will make guys accountable in a locker room.  The Gaborik trade is a gamble... It's tough trading away a goal scorer like Gaborik, but the Rangers needed more role players who can score here and there.  Columbus needed a winger that could produce and Gaborik has been in Tortorella's dog house for the entire season, so with him coming off shoulder surgery this is the rebirth that he needed.  Dorsett and Brassard have played with Nash back in Columbus so they may play on a line together.  

Management in Columbus with John Davidson and the new Finnish GM may finally be building a true contender in the next few years.  Davidson is the former Ranger's announcer who was a great goalie for them back in the old days and a very savvy guy in terms of knowing talent and the game.

Cool, about that Clowe guy....

Right now I'm lurking on the HFboards & people there are more or less saying the same thing.... That the dealings b/w CBJ & NYR the past 2 seasons are just about equal....  As one guy from there puts it:

"Gabby < Nash

Anisimov > Brassard

Erixon = Moore

Dubinsky < Dorsett (Dubi may be better, but Dorsett is cheaper).

1st > 3rd + 6th"

From: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=63158973&postcount=281

------------------

To be honest, I don't care about what void/need Gaborik fills for Columbus...... I don't feel as if we lost much having gotten rid of him because he's been dead weight this whole season.... I know you don't watch much baseball, but he's basically pulling a Sheffield (as I call it) here (Gary Sheffield was an OF for the Dodgers that was intentionally dropping flyballs & overall playing halfheartedly because he wanted out of LA.... He started doing stupid shit when he left here (Yankees) because they weren't gonna pay him what he felt he was still worth (as an aging geezer)).... I don't have respect for players making millions in any sport that seemingly intentionally not playing anywhere near their potential just because they want out... It's the equivalent of a tantrum.... Good riddance to this guy, is what I say......

Cool, about that Clowe guy....

Right now I'm lurking on the HFboards & people there are more or less saying the same thing.... That the dealings b/w CBJ & NYR the past 2 seasons are just about equal....  As one guy from there puts it:

"Gabby < Nash

Anisimov > Brassard

Erixon = Moore

Dubinsky < Dorsett (Dubi may be better, but Dorsett is cheaper).

1st > 3rd + 6th"

From: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showpost.php?p=63158973&postcount=281

------------------

To be honest, I don't care about what void/need Gaborik fills for Columbus...... I don't feel as if we lost much having gotten rid of him because he's been dead weight this whole season.... I know you don't watch much baseball, but he's basically pulling a Sheffield (as I call it) here (Gary Sheffield was an OF for the Dodgers that was intentionally dropping flyballs & overall playing halfheartedly because he wanted out of LA.... He started doing stupid shit when he left here (Yankees) because they weren't gonna pay him what he felt he was still worth (as an aging geezer)).... I don't have respect for players making millions in any sport that seemingly intentionally not playing anywhere near their potential just because they want out... It's the equivalent of a tantrum.... Good riddance to this guy, is what I say......

lol... No I'm familiar with Sheffield and remember that time too.. Just that I find baseball to be boring so I don't follow it daily but still watch here and there... Yeah I think the trade should work out well for both teams... This should allow the Rangers to go out and get a big name next year to replace Gaborik since they have some free cap space now with his salary gone.

The irony... Gaborik leaves the team (some jilted rangers fans bitch about losing "all that scoring".... I see it as, what the hell good is a scorer.... that doesn't score...), Clowe isn't much of a goal scorer, but he nets in 2 in his ranger debut... I see what you mean w/ his grittiness.... Of course I'm not expecting a player of that type to be an offensive juggernaut, but I already like this guy....  I also see what everyone (I read comments from so far), says about that Moore kid; man that kid can move.... Didn't see the Brassard goal (or the dupuis goal, not that I care about that... lol) though..... All in all, this looks like a whole new dam team out there... If this is all fools good, I don't know, but I hope the Rangers can keep this up (although I'm still a little worried about my man Lundqvist).....

As for the Penguins... you wouldn't think one human being would make this much of a difference in how they play...

How you go from a possible stanley cup winner to possibly being ousted in the early round of the playoffs (which is what I'm now hearing a few ppl. all of a sudden predict) w/ no Crosby, with the way all the other talent on the team, is beyond me.... I long thought that whole "_____ guy is the heart & soul" of the team bit is way too exaggerated (not just in hockey, in sports period... same crap yankee fans gotta put up with, with (no) Jeter around - like they're gonna go 0-162 & every other player on the squad'll forget how to play the game or some shit w/o the guy)..... Steering this back to hockey, man did the pens look flat tonight..... This 6-1 win against them reminded me of the rangers/flyers game last week....

The irony... Gaborik leaves the team (some jilted rangers fans bitch about losing "all that scoring".... I see it as, what the hell good is a scorer.... that doesn't score...), Clowe isn't much of a goal scorer, but he nets in 2 in his ranger debut... I see what you mean w/ his grittiness.... Of course I'm not expecting a player of that type to be an offensive juggernaut, but I already like this guy....  I also see what everyone (I read comments from so far), says about that Moore kid; man that kid can move.... Didn't see the Brassard goal (or the dupuis goal, not that I care about that... lol) though..... All in all, this looks like a whole new dam team out there... If this is all fools good, I don't know, but I hope the Rangers can keep this up (although I'm still a little worried about my man Lundqvist).....

As for the Penguins... you wouldn't think one human being would make this much of a difference in how they play...

How you go from a possible stanley cup winner to possibly being ousted in the early round of the playoffs (which is what I'm now hearing a few ppl. all of a sudden predict) w/ no Crosby, with the way all the other talent on the team, is beyond me.... I long thought that whole "_____ guy is the heart & soul" of the team bit is way too exaggerated (not just in hockey, in sports period... same crap yankee fans gotta put up with, with (no) Jeter around - like they're gonna go 0-162 & every other player on the squad'll forget how to play the game or some shit w/o the guy)..... Steering this back to hockey, man did the pens look flat tonight..... This 6-1 win against them reminded me of the rangers/flyers game last week....

Well I have to agree with them... They're right back where they were last year needing another big scorer unless these role players can pick up the scoring... He actually has been in a slump but he still had 19 points (9G, 10A) in 35 games, which is not that terrible at all. The top guys in the league average a little over a point a game, so keep that in mind and he's somewhere in the middle of the pack even though he's in a slump...  

Now he's coming off of shoulder surgery from last year after scoring 41 goals the previous year and more or less carrying the team offensively.  The real issue wasn't so much Gaborik IMO, but a situation where it was either Tortorella or Gaborik.  Tortorella had him in his dog house and obviously they weren't going to sack Torotorella after what he did last season so Sather had to make the move.  They realize that they gave up too many role players for Nash, plus they have some guys that are free agents this year and needed to dump some salary to try to sign them, so in a way Gaborik's slump gave them the perfect excuse to make moves.  From what I'm hearing they want to try to re-sign Ryan Clowe, Stefan and a few other guys.  

IMO what they need is a good two way defencemen that can move the puck on the back end.  They've got a solid core on the blue line but maybe too many stay at home guys.  They've been missing that since Leetch retired IMO.  The reason I say this is because they've always went out and signed a few big names and then expected those guys to produce CONSTANTLY then went ape sh*t when they went into a slump. I mean they know that they've been lacking scoring depth for years now and not having a puck moving defencemen really puts a lot of strain on the forwards to produce night in and night out.  Factor that in with the fact that Gaborik is not a great defender and it's understandable that he would have a slump.

However, seeing what the Rangers got for Gaborik, it's a good deal for them.  They get some role players, were able to dump some salary and maybe get some balanced scoring, grit and leadership and Columbus shows that they're for real now with new management.  Gaborik actually waived his no-trade clause to go there...

As for Crosby, they're going to say that because he's considered the best player in the game right now and I would have to agree that they aren't the same team without him. The guy has 56 points in 36 games, and was on pace to to put up 1.6 points a game which is pretty impressive.  That's up there with Lemieux, Gretzky and the other greats when they were growing into their prime.  They're still loaded no question but with him he's another big threat that really sees the ice well and makes the guys around him better.  It seems like the opinion is that no matter who they have on that club, Crosby is "the guy", as that is his team, similar to Ovechkin in Washington.  

Here's a list of the all-time point-per-game leaders...

http://www.quanthockey.com/nhl/records/nhl-players-all-time-points-per-game-leaders.html

Crosby is 4th all-time only behind Mike Bossy of the Islanders, then Lemieux and Gretzky and he's only 26... Pretty scary...

• 4 weeks later...

- Rangers vs Capitals again...... See, this is why I do not believe in mere coincidences when it comes to sports....

The NHL knows what's gonna bring fans to the TV sets (and money in its pocket).....

- Was there ever a doubt that the Red Wings were gonna make the playoffs (for what, the 22nd straight year)....

- Lol @ the Islanders, weren't they 5th at one point (same as Ottawa)... Now both of those teams are fighting/hoping to not play the Pens in the first round (fighting/hoping for 7th place).... Speaking of the Pens, lmao - Carolina thought they could keep up w/ them after making it 3-3 at the end of 2 - only to have the Pens drop a 5 spot in the 3rd period to go on to win that last game, 8-3......

Why do we (Brooklyn) have to inherit this sorry ass team for anyway; Brooklyn Islanders... smh....

- Rangers vs Capitals again...... See, this is why I do not believe in mere coincidences when it comes to sports....

The NHL knows what's gonna bring fans to the TV sets (and money in its pocket).....

- Was there ever a doubt that the Red Wings were gonna make the playoffs (for what, the 22nd straight year)....

- Lol @ the Islanders, weren't they 5th at one point (same as Ottawa)... Now both of those teams are fighting/hoping to not play the Pens in the first round (fighting/hoping for 7th place).... Speaking of the Pens, lmao - Carolina thought they could keep up w/ them after making it 3-3 at the end of 2 - only to have the Pens drop a 5 spot in the 3rd period to go on to win that last game, 8-3......

Why do we (Brooklyn) have to inherit this sorry ass team for anyway; Brooklyn Islanders... smh....

-Rather annoying to see this match up yet again, but this may be more exciting than the previous match ups... Both teams have looked good of late and the Rangers may finally get some balanced scoring with the latest trade with Columbus.

-Red Wings aren't the same team anymore... Far from... They were always a puck possession team, hence why Osgood could always be just a decent goaltender and not spectacular for so many seasons... Not so anymore... Their defense is suspect and vulnerable for the first time in a long time with Lidstrom and Rafalski now retired and they haven't made any serious moves to find puck moving "D" either. They may give Anaheim trouble, but I don't think they have enough to make a run far into the playoffs.

-Islanders are finally on the cusp of becoming a good team... I've been watching them here and there and they've got a solid squad now, with Tavares leading the way.  They finally got some good goal tending with Nabakov and a solid defensivee core.  I don't think they'll go quietly and if they face the Habs they could very well upset them.

-As for them moving to Brooklyn, this may finally give them a chance to go out and spend some money since they'll be able to generate more revenue from the arena unlike the old outdated Nassau Coliseum.  I won't say that the next few years will be the glory years like the old days for the Islanders when they won 4 Stanley Cups with the likes of Bossy, Nystrom and others but they'll be far more competitive and no longer be the laughing stock of the NHL provided that ownership and management continue to make wise moves.

-As for the Senators, with Karlsson making an early return they're dangerous once again.  It's amazing that they even made the playoffs... They've been hit terribly with injuries esp. upfront with Spezza, Methot and with their goalie being out as well for long stretches (Anderson).  Even though I don't think Karlsson will be playing like his old self this year, the fact that he's there makes them a threat and they should not be taken lightly. However, if they face the Penguins, with the way the Pens have been playing it will be an uphill battle.  As long as the Penguins play to their potential I don't see anyone beating them in the East because they are seriously LOADED with talent even without Malkin and Crosby in the lineup.  If they go out this year early it would be one the biggest chokes in history.

On a side note, I am glad that Joe Sacco was finally fired.  TERRIBLE coach!!! Yesterday's game was just another example of his terrible coaching.  Almost two f*cking minutes with the goalie pulled and they couldn't even sustain any forecheck in the zone to keep the Wild on their heels. I don't even think they got one shot on net. 

I have to agree with the brooklyn move. I don't care about the Islanders, but i think the move is going to help them (not to mention the team was never going to sell out, so it's not like the smaller arena is going to hurt them that much). Finally, it makes better use of the barclays arena to have 2 teams than just one team. if nassau wasnt going to spend a few more millions of $ to keep the MTA to run Lib, what chance was there for a taxpayer funded arena? I think it was best to let the team go and at the very least maybe now the MTA will have to focus on the fb-atlantic portion of the LIrr. Hockey fans can just take the train to see the 41 home games. It makes way more sense than the jets stadium proposal for the west side which would kill the tailgate parties and add a ton of car traffic to the west side.

I have to agree with the brooklyn move. I don't care about the Islanders, but i think the move is going to help them (not to mention the team was never going to sell out, so it's not like the smaller arena is going to hurt them that much). Finally, it makes better use of the barclays arena to have 2 teams than just one team. if nassau wasnt going to spend a few more millions of $ to keep the MTA to run Lib, what chance was there for a taxpayer funded arena? I think it was best to let the team go and at the very least maybe now the MTA will have to focus on the fb-atlantic portion of the LIrr. Hockey fans can just take the train to see the 41 home games. It makes way more sense than the jets stadium proposal for the west side which would kill the tailgate parties and add a ton of car traffic to the west side.

I can't support the moving of a team here just because it'll boost revenue for us; that's basically a "thanks, but no thanks" type of attitude... I gotta have *some* interest in the sports team as well - for which the Islanders, I never did..... The Nets being the only sports team (so far) occupying Barclays Center is immaterial..... Nassau's finances isn't my concern as a NYC resident, so I'm not gonna speak on their lack of funding for an arena.... And I think it goes without saying that the issue of Nassau not ponying up more funds to keep LIB running, has been beaten to death on here....

As far as the LIRR & hockey fans goes... It should be interesting to see a train full of ranger fans and islander fans heading to/from "the city" to see/have seen their respective teams....

Alright Hockey Expert (VG8), what's your picks on the first round of the playoffs?

[1] Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (8) New York Islanders

[2] Montreal Canadiens vs. [7] Ottawa Senators

[3] Washington Capitals vs. [6] New York Rangers

[4] Boston Bruins vs. [5] Toronto Maple Leafs

[1] Chicago Blackhawks vs. (8) Minnesota Wild

[2] Anaheim Ducks vs. [7] Detroit Red Wings

[3] Vancouver Canucks vs. [6] San Jose Sharks

[4] St. Louis Blues vs. [5] Los Angeles Kings

edit... dam subway bullets

[1] Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (8) New York Islanders in 4

[2] Montreal Canadiens vs. [7] Ottawa Senators in 6

[3] Washington Capitals vs. [6] New York Rangers in 7

[4] Boston Bruins vs. [5] Toronto Maple Leafs in 7

[1] Chicago Blackhawks vs. (8) Minnesota Wild in 5

[2] Anaheim Ducks vs. [7] Detroit Red Wings in 6

[3] Vancouver Canucks vs. [6] San Jose Sharks in 5

[4] St. Louis Blues vs. [5] Los Angeles Kings in 7

Alright Hockey Expert (VG8), what's your picks on the first round of the playoffs?

[1] Pittsburgh Penguins vs. (8) New York Islanders

[2] Montreal Canadiens vs. [7] Ottawa Senators

[3] Washington Capitals vs. [6] New York Rangers

[4] Boston Bruins vs. [5] Toronto Maple Leafs

[1] Chicago Blackhawks vs. (8) Minnesota Wild

[2] Anaheim Ducks vs. [7] Detroit Red Wings

[3] Vancouver Canucks vs. [6] San Jose Sharks

[4] St. Louis Blues vs. [5] Los Angeles Kings

edit... dam subway bullets

lol.... I actually agree with Tokkemon's picks minus the Canucks...  :lol: I'm also going with the Rangers and Senators with "upsets" though they are pretty evenly matched... The Caps play in a WEAK division and the Canadiens have basically limped into 2nd...

• 2 weeks later...

Kudos to the Rangers for winning in 7 in a land slide. Lol 5 goals from a team that could barely score some goals in this series. Adios caps! Minor note, lundquist was an answer on jeopardy tonight, basically players had to say the name of the team he plays for.

Capitals had a stupid game plan from the start - Try to "goon" their way past the Rangers in this game 7, when that's the furthest thing from how they normally play (to analogize, it would be like the knicks tryna play the pacers style of basketball & expect to win games that way, when that's not how they're built).... When you have your best offensive player (Ovechkin) tryna lay every one on the opposing team out, chances are you're gonna lose (using the same analogy, this would be like Carmelo tryna bump bodies in the paint against Hibbert & expecting to score 30+ that way).... There's a stark difference in the way the Caps played in games 1-5, compared to these last 2 games... Can't take anything away from Lundqvist & his 2 consecutive shutouts though......

The Caps goalie (Holtby) is too cocky for his own good... How "easy" was this 5-0 loss for you to swallow, ya bum.... Lol.

Rangers move on to face the Bruins (f*** happen to the Leafs, blowing a 3 goal lead like that).... We tend to play pretty well against the Bruins, but they play a similar type of style we do (sans the shot blocking ability)... Should be a good series.... I wanted no part of the Leafs b/c they're just as offensive minded as the caps....

Looks like my predictions were all right with the exception of Detroit upsetting Anaheim... Boston ALMOST choked as I expected... Still can't figure out how in the hell the Leafs blew a three goal lead because they had that game won...  <_< Well 6 right predictions out of 8 isn't two bad and the two others went to game seven's so both of those were really toss ups....

Here are my next predictions:

I think the Kings will beat the Sharks.  Quick basically stole the series against the Blues and I think he'll steal this series too.  He's the best goalie in the league right now aside from Lundqvist.  Aside from that, I just think that the Kings can out muscle the Sharks. The Kings won the cup last year. The Sharks meanwhile have all of the pressure on them to go deep into the playoffs as this could be their last chance before major changes are made.  Marleau and Thorton are not getting any younger and Todd McLellan may be in his last year behind the bench unless this team can make it to the finals.

I think Chicago will beat Detroit, but they need to make sure that they bring their A game.  Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen and Cleary are still savvy veterans that know what it takes to make it in the playoffs and any slip ups by the Hawks could cost them.  I personally think Chicago is too deep.  They've got four lines that can play against anybody.  Pretty impressive.

In the East, I'm going to give the Rangers the edge.  Bruins so choked in that series with the Leafs and the only reason they won last night was because the Leafs choked even more... This is Lundqvist's time and he knows it.  He is in his prime years and the time is now.  The Rangers seem to be playing better, but they need to try to get Richards and Nash going.

I think the Penguins are the obvious favorites, but the Islanders took it to them and gave them a serious run.  I'll give the edge to the Penguins but if the Senators win I won't be surprised.  They've been riddled with injuries but they've been very pesky.  A much more deeper team than people realize and with Anderson in net and Karlsson back on the blue line again, these two guys could very well steal the series.

• 2 weeks later...

What's Hockey?

Tokkemon!!! So your Canucks choked yet again huh...  :lol: Well at least they're going to clean house now... Already fired Vigneault and his staff... They should move the Sedin twins too... Both of them can't perform in the playoffs....  Look at what Colorado did... Made Joe Sakic Vice President and Patrick Roy Vice President of Hockey Operations and coach.  :D

Tokkemon!!! So your Canucks choked yet again huh...  :lol: Well at least they're going to clean house now... Already fired Vigneault and his staff... They should move the Sedin twins too... Both of them can't perform in the playoffs....  Look at what Colorado did... Made Joe Sakic Vice President and Patrick Roy Vice President of Hockey Operations and coach.  :D

Colorado was in last place this season and has a record of suckage. Hardly a role model team.

Colorado was in last place this season and has a record of suckage. Hardly a role model team.

LOL... True but your team is in rebuild mode as well.  At least we've got the 1st pick overall next year and I know with Sakic having the last say he's going to go with Jones for the first pick.  He'd be crazy not to.  They desperately need a two way guy on the blue line who can provide some scoring because Johnson esp. is a joke.

At least we actually won two Stanley Cups.  The Canucks have been twice and lost both times.  :lol:

Archived