NHL 2012-2013 season & News Thread

Shortline Bus

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty simple... Larger arenas allow for more revenue... Luxury suites and ticket sales is what generates revenue for the teams so in order to compete with other teams the more folks you can seat and the more luxury suites the arena has the better.

FYI. Bettman and Wang in press conference today(10/24/12)stated that the arena will be increased to around 15,000 for hockey and most important improve sightline for NHL standards.

I don't care what they call themselves..... Why is it that the teams I don't want here in Brooklyn all of a sudden moving here (well that's a half truth because I didn't want this damn arena here in the first place)....

I mean wtf, the stinkin nets, now the stinkin islanders.... I'ma still be a Brooklynite reppin the Rangers, f*** the Islanders... I never liked that team & never rooted for them once in my life.... I can't even say that for the Mets, as much as I don't care for them...

So what's gonna be left for Nassau county? Drawing revenue from all the malls out there.... I'd love to read comments on some nassau based forum (if one exists) about the team moving.... Heh, there's a huge difference b/w Islander fans & Ranger fans that reside in LI...... Ranger fans take pride in trekking out to "the city" to see their team (Go Rangers !).... Islander fans, I can tell you now, are NOT gonna take kindly to having to trek to "the city" to see their godforsaken team.... And this Brooklynite don't want y'all asses here no way - the team or its lovable loser chicago cub-like fans......

This just ruined the good day I was havin thus far.....

We want fishsticks!

Nah, they can swim with the fish !

I don't care what they call themselves..... Why is it that the teams I don't want here in Brooklyn all of a sudden moving here (well that's a half truth because I didn't want this damn arena here in the first place)....

I mean wtf, the stinkin nets, now the stinkin islanders.... I'ma still be a Brooklynite reppin the Rangers, f*** the Islanders... I never liked that team & never rooted for them once in my life.... I can't even say that for the Mets, as much as I don't care for them...

So what's gonna be left for Nassau county? Drawing revenue from all the malls out there.... I'd love to read comments on some nassau based forum (if one exists) about the team moving.... Heh, there's a huge difference b/w Islander fans & Ranger fans that reside in LI...... Ranger fans take pride in trekking out to "the city" to see their team (Go Rangers !).... Islander fans, I can tell you now, are NOT gonna take kindly to having to trek to "the city" to see their godforsaken team.... And this Brooklynite don't want y'all asses here no way - the team or its lovable loser chicago cub-like fans......

This just ruined the good day I was havin thus far.....

LOL! This should be interesting because the Islanders (when they actually were good and won Stanley Cups) differentiated themselves on being a team for Long Island, so I don't see Long Islanders now schlepping to Brooklyn to see their so-called "team".

The thing is though this will be the smallest venue for NHL hockey so if they can't sell tickets there to get the place sold out, they may very well leave New York altogether as Wang will argue that he isn't bringing in enough revenue, so this is a really big deal. Wang is going to have to get his **** together and get Garth Snow to make some logical deals or fire him and hire someone who can get the job done AND finally spend some damn money. They can't live off of draft picks and dreams. They need to start building a team there that will make folks want to come out and watch otherwise they're going to be spending ridiculous amounts of money just to lure folks to the team, overpaying them as a result with bloated contracts.

The Maple Leafs seem to do just fine.

LOL! This should be interesting because the Islanders (when they actually were good and won Stanley Cups) differentiated themselves on being a team for Long Island, so I don't see Long Islanders now schlepping to Brooklyn to see their so-called "team".

Someone else that sees this.... and they go out of their way to stress that too.....

For the life of me, I never understood the deeming of w/e Ranger fans that live in LI, by Islander fans out there as being some sort of traitors.... As if to say all the current Ranger fans out in LI used to be Islander fans that jumped ship when the Islanders started bringing up the rear after the late 80's.... Some concept to grasp that there was ever a Ranger fan in LI during the Islanders' glory years.....

Too bad I don't personally know of any Islander fans to ask them how (irate) they feel about this......

This must be sarcasm... When was the last time the Maple Leafs went to the playoffs? :lol:

The Mats Sundin & Felix Potvin Maple leafs? lol......

VG8. As i told B35 in NBA thread, the Nets now that they are in Brooklyn will now only get maybe 5-10% tops of fans from their former "home" in New Jersey for their games now. Most of the Jersey Net fans will come from Bergen and Hudson Counties i.e Paramus, Hoboken, Jersey City that near the Path or NJ Transit fans. Fans from central and rest of NJ will basically be no longer be season ticket holders or regulars.

However since The LIRR stops a branch in front of the buliding, the Isles might still able to get maybe 20% from Nassau and 5% from Suffolk. However the demographics will change and that the both the Isles/Nets primary fan base will now be as much as 75% from NYC's (5) boros incuding Brooklyn.

VG8. As i told B35 in NBA thread, the Nets now that they are in Brooklyn will now only get maybe 5-10% tops of fans from their former "home" in New Jersey for their games now. Most of the Jersey Net fans will come from Bergen and Hudson Counties i.e Paramus, Hoboken, Jersey City that near the Path or NJ Transit fans. Fans from central and rest of NJ will basically be no longer be season ticket holders or regulars.

However since The LIRR stops a branch in front of the buliding, the Isles might still able to get maybe 20% from Nassau and 5% from Suffolk. However the demographics will change and that the both the Isles/Nets primary fan base will now be as much as 75% from NYC's (5) boros incuding Brooklyn.

Listening to Mike Francesa and as B35 calls him the "smart fat boy" lol reaction. Granted he may not be into hockey but sounded disappointed that the Islanders will soon be leaving Long Island. Francesa said LI no longer has a arena for more than sports. A place for concerts, the circus, etc. which he says now he must drive to either Manhattan or Brooklyn for that. With that said, I am sure as a borderline millionarie he a rarity and not the norm in NIMBYLAND of Long Island lol. reactions?

as an islander fan since the beginning, and a nassau county resident who pays a fortune in property taxes every year, i did not want the team to leave, but because of kate murray, and her cronies, especially the scumbags in garden city government circles, charles wang had no choice. i will continue to support the islanders and watch them in brooklyn.

Joe

as an islander fan since the beginning, and a nassau county resident who pays a fortune in property taxes every year, i did not want the team to leave, but because of kate murray, and her cronies, especially the scumbags in garden city government circles, charles wang had no choice. i will continue to support the islanders and watch them in brooklyn.

Joe

I will say the Colesium was a 'dump' and was becoming dangerous i.e asbestos and other issues for fans to attend. Wang claimed he was going to build a new arena in same LI location but ran into 'red tape."

I will say the Colesium was a 'dump' and was becoming dangerous i.e asbestos and other issues for fans to attend. Wang claimed he was going to build a new arena in same LI location but ran into 'red tape."

kate murray and her cronies , especially garden city, because they were afraid that new restaurants and stores at the coliseum site would take away from the franklin ave business strip, stonewalled the process for 7 years, making them do environmental and traffic studies which wang paid millions to do. She never ever wanted any proposal to pass, i went to every hearing, and spoke at a couple, and it was plain as day that she prayed if she could stall it long enough, she and her cronies would win. She is a disgrace

Joe

kate murray and her cronies , especially garden city, because they were afraid that new restaurants and stores at the coliseum site would take away from the franklin ave business strip, stonewalled the process for 7 years, making them do environmental and traffic studies which wang paid millions to do. She never ever wanted any proposal to pass, i went to every hearing, and spoke at a couple, and it was plain as day that she prayed if she could stall it long enough, she and her cronies would win. She is a disgrace

Joe

I will say the people i feel bad the most are arena workers such as hot dog vendors who be out of a job in a couple of years. Other negative of no major LI arena in either Nassau or Suffolk is now 2-3 million people who live in LI now must drive or take the LIRR to Manhattan or Brooklyn for NHL, NBA or other entertainment such as concerts, etc. And thus make the bus LIRR and LIE/Northern & southern state more crowded.

For Brooklyn, it's now almost like hitting the lottery as a sports team brings national/international attention to your boro.

Not really, the Nets and Islanders are the bottom dwellers of their leagues. They'll need to both get at least .500 to be taken seriously. The 1st years for each of them respectively will be because of the curiosity factor, but if they still suck, expect more empty seats as they both have in their former homes*.

*yes i know the islanders haven't moved yet.

Listening to Mike Francesa and as B35 calls him the "smart fat boy" lol reaction. Granted he may not be into hockey but sounded disappointed that the Islanders will soon be leaving Long Island. Francesa said LI no longer has a arena for more than sports. A place for concerts, the circus, etc. which he says now he must drive to either Manhattan or Brooklyn for that. With that said, I am sure as a borderline millionarie he a rarity and not the norm in NIMBYLAND of Long Island lol. reactions?

I just call him "fat boy"....

Borderline? The guy makes about 3-5 million/year IINM, which is absolutely ridiculous.....

Not really, the Nets and Islanders are the bottom dwellers of their leagues. They'll need to both get at least .500 to be taken seriously. The 1st years for each of them respectively will be because of the curiosity factor, but if they still suck, expect more empty seats as they both have in their former homes.

This.

I get that there are certain folks in our borough that are excited that we finally have a professional sports team in this borough, but I'm not getting euphoric over no nets & islanders, I'm sorry.....

I dunno what the prices will be, but I'd be willing to bet it'd be far cheaper at Barclays than the Garden. So if a person just wants to watch a game in person, Barclays would be perfect. Ftr, I'm indifferent to the Nets and Islanders. The only thing about this move that I like is that now you have an arena that will be used for at least 164 games total and means more profit (depending on how well each team does). Nassau's loss, Brooklyn's gain, that basically sums it up. Also if the Islanders don't have to worry about funding the arena other than pay their 'rent', then perhaps that's money they can use for better players. How often do teams short change the total salary just so they can afford to build a new arena/stadium?

• 2 weeks later...

What was lost in the news of Hurricane Sandy and the last couple of days of the US elections is the first big cancelled event of the NHL. The 2013 NHL Winter Classic between the Leafs and Red Wings has been cancelled. It tenative planned to be played instead on January 1, 2014. There was rumor if a partially restored season was played, the '13 Winter Classic would been among the first games played.

http://www.nhl.com/i...4824&print=true

Archived