Question about Student Pass

B3 Via Av U

You asked this question in the chat yesterday. Dip your Student Metrocard and then add the difference in coins. They may even program the fare boxes to allow you to dip a Metrocard for the difference, but Student Metrocards cannot be loaded with money.

When I worked for the (MTA) back in high school, I had a so called "Unlimited" Metrocard (good on local buses and subways), but only valid Monday through Friday and I believe it was only from 07:00 until 19:00 roughly so I would have to have a Metrocard or the change if my pass couldn't be used.

Okay yes I admit I asked this yesterday. I just wanted to clarfiy so that if on the rare chance I take the (MTA) /NYCT bus home, I wouldn't embarass myself in front of an Orion VII NG full of people because I didn't have fare.

EDIT: Please have this moved to the bus forum, please.

Not sure I understand your reasoning, but okay... I also had a half fare student pass and my mom just gave me the difference of .75 cents at the time. In your case with the odd amount of $1.10 I would check with the school as to whether or not you can just buy a regular Metrocard that takes off the difference of $1.10 each time you dip your Student Metrocard.

Procedure for Half Fare Bus Metrocard:

1. Dip Metrocard into the farebox

2. Insert coins

3. Bus only free transfer will be added onto your metrocard. Same transfer rules apply (must be done within 2 hours on a different bus route), except you cannot enter the subway. Your metrocard will not work in the subway. (the turnstile will say SEE AGENT)

You get a student metrocard based on how far you live from the school. Whether you choose to use it or not is up to you.

Procedure for Half Fare Bus Metrocard:

1. Dip Metrocard into the farebox

2. Insert coins

3. Bus only free transfer will be added onto your metrocard. Same transfer rules apply (must be done within 2 hours on a different bus route), except you cannot enter the subway. Your metrocard will not work in the subway. (the turnstile will say SEE AGENT)

You get a student metrocard based on how far you live from the school. Whether you choose to use it or not is up to you.

Yeah I know about the whole distance nonsense, but how can he get yellow bus service AND a half fare Metrocard? I'm surprised they haven't updated it so that a Metrocard can just be dipped with the Student Metrocard instead of dropping in coins.

So then why do you get a Student Metrocard too????

Teacher said that regardless of if I use yellow bus or not I get one...Maybe it's in case I go to after-school...

Then that's why you have a half fare. I sometimes walked home as well instead of taking the B36, but when the weather sucked, the bus was a better option, so just keep it in case you need it and keep a spare regular Metrocard handy.

I'll keep 4 quarters and a dime in my bookbag just in case.

Kids these days are pampered. There. I said it. I sound like a bitter old man at the age of 26

Given a bus service for school isn't much pampered. Seeing kids with high tech phones at their age is pampering. When I was that age, I had the house phone or the quarter for the payphone.

Given a bus service for school isn't much pampered. Seeing kids with high tech phones at their age is pampering. When I was that age, I had the house phone or the quarter for the payphone.

It is pampered... Either they should get one or the other but not both. This is a perfect example of the (MTA) WASTING money.

Doesn't the School System pay for the Student Metro's?

The (MTA) does... Where you have you been?? Without the (MTA) paying the majority of the cost, the program would be dead. The state contributes about $25 million and city gives about $45 million. The (MTA) pays $144 million and thus pay the majority of the cost...

Source: http://www.streetsblog.org/2010/06/18/student-metrocards-albany-offers-nothing-mta-folds-riders-lose/

Then that's why you have a half fare. I sometimes walked home as well instead of taking the B36, but when the weather sucked, the bus was a better option, so just keep it in case you need it and keep a spare regular Metrocard handy.

When I went to Lincoln High School for freshman year, I usually walked even though I was given a half-fare MetroCard. It was not worth paying the extra $1.00 for a short ride on the B36 unless as you said the weather was bad or I was late. Sometimes, riding the bus actually took longer than walking due to the time it took for all students to board (everyone got out at roughly the same time of the day)

Screw that, my J.H.S. didn't have yellow bus service either. It was either suck it up with MTA, walk or have your parents drive you.

Yes, in fact, parents still drive their high school children to/from school. I walked to junior high school because it was so close.

Kids these days are pampered. There. I said it. I sound like a bitter old man at the age of 26

Yep they are and the student cards are a bad influence to them, making them think they can ride mass transit for free. I see them frequently jumping turnstiles, boarding at the back of the bus, or sneakingly using the cards when they do not have school (though that is the MTA's fault for not programming turnstiles to not accept student cards on days when they are off). That is why the MTA should have eliminated student cards completely, particularly for the orange ones for Kindergarten-6th Grade. Seriously, any parent who lets a 5 to 11-year-old ride mass transit alone is a big fat idiot.

When I used to get half fare Metrocards, the B/O's told me not to pay the $1.10 fee simply because they felt it was unreasonable for someone to have to pay a fee in order to get to school. This was not only one operator, this way just about ever operator that I paid the fee on.

When I was at Lincoln, B/Os often let me ride the bus for free even though they knew I had a half-fare card because they were so many students boarding at once, they did not want to waste time waiting for me to insert coins. Some B/Os, if they recognize you as a student, would just let you board without even having to show you card,

High tech cell phones are more expensive than pay phones and house phones. Parents need to teach some kids responsibility for that.

It is pampered... Either they should get one or the other but not both. This is a perfect example of the (MTA) WASTING money.

Yep, that is why the MTA should get rid of student cards completely. Many riders, B/Os, and train crews agree that school students are the most disruptive customers, especially if they are traveling in large groups. If parents complain about costs, then only allow student cards to public school students. If parents can afford to pay thousands of dollars to send their kids to private schools, they can afford the extra $100 a month for MetroCards.

Doesn't the School System pay for the Student Metro's?

The DOE should be responsible for transporting students to/from school, not the MTA. They need to provide more cheese bus service and let regular commuters use mass transit without disruption from annoying students.

When I went to Lincoln High School for freshman year, I usually walked even though I was given a half-fare MetroCard. It was not worth paying the extra $1.00 for a short ride on the B36 unless as you said the weather was bad or I was late. Sometimes, riding the bus actually took longer than walking due to the time it took for all students to board (everyone got out at roughly the same time of the day)

Yes, in fact, parents still drive their high school children to/from school. I walked to junior high school because it was so close.

Yep they are and the student cards are a bad influence to them, making them think they can ride mass transit for free. I see them frequently jumping turnstiles, boarding at the back of the bus, or sneakingly using the cards when they do not have school (though that is the MTA's fault for not programming turnstiles to not accept student cards on days when they are off). That is why the MTA should have eliminated student cards completely, particularly for the orange ones for Kindergarten-6th Grade. Seriously, any parent who lets a 5 to 11-year-old ride mass transit alone is a big fat idiot.

When I was at Lincoln, B/Os often let me ride the bus for free even though they knew I had a half-fare card because they were so many students boarding at once, they did not want to waste time waiting for me to insert coins. Some B/Os, if they recognize you as a student, would just let you board without even having to show you card,

High tech cell phones are more expensive than pay phones and house phones. Parents need to teach some kids responsibility for that.

Yep, that is why the MTA should get rid of student cards completely. Many riders, B/Os, and train crews agree that school students are the most disruptive customers, especially if they are traveling in large groups. If parents complain about costs, then only allow student cards to public school students. If parents can afford to pay thousands of dollars to send their kids to private schools, they can afford the extra $100 a month for MetroCards.

The DOE should be responsible for transporting students to/from school, not the MTA. They need to provide more cheese bus service and let regular commuters use mass transit without disruption from annoying students.

Lincoln huh? Well I'll be damned... I was zoned to Sheepshead Bay H.S. by a near few blocks... Otherwise I would've went to Lincoln...

As for your other comments, good to see I'm not the only one with that sentiment... If you're in Flushing I'm sure you could use the QM3 to have a peaceful ride...

Well, I'm guessing ether the (MTA) would be too lazy to have the MetroCards disabled during a No School day during the week (especially since no school during the week varies), or rather not do anything and let the childrens and teens illegally use the card, so when caught, they get fined. But even that lot of times they don't get caught.

Also, by eliminated MetroCard, it won't do anything to stop farebeating, your making it a lot worst. Not everyone farebeats. Enforcement must increase to lower evasion.

Archived