Ex-Fairfax Orion V for sale: CBOA guys might want to take a look at this

engineerboy6561

For those of you guys who are interested in buying and/or preserving classic buses, there's a 1999 ex-Fairfax Connector Orion V for sale for a ridiculously low price on eBay ($1200 current bid, $1225 new minimum bid, and you could probably call the number in the ad and snatch it for $1225-$1300 right now). It's apparently in decent condition, although the ad says it might need a new battery and/or alternator. The auction closes in 5 1/2 days, and there's no reserve auction on it. I figure this is especially a big deal since Orion is officially winding down and the Orion V has been discontinued. Here's the link to the listing: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-Orion-V-Commuter-Bus-/230866464399?pt=Buses&hash=item35c0b6ae8f

They've been selling those like crazy I believe. There's a private Jewish bus company in Brooklyn that has them, I think a few of them actually including Private Transportation (the B110).

I wouldnt be shocked if that owner who has that Jewish bus company doesnt bid on this one!

I wouldnt be shocked if that owner who has that Jewish bus company doesnt bid on this one!

He may have already; there are 26 bids on this thing and the price is still ridiculously low. I actually floated the idea of having 42 of us at my dorm pitch in $35 or so apiece and buying the damn thing for us to take care of and refurbish; it didn't actually work out due to lack of insurance, registration, people with CDL-Bs, parking, and so on (and I was only halfway serious when I floated it), but I feel like this bus needs a good home and a makeover (hence the reason I suggested having the CBOA guys jump on this).

If anyone has been watching publicsurplus.com that's where they were initially listed like crazy up to 20 buses at a time buds starting at 500

If I had the money and license I would buy one, they were in really good shape.

Its a lot that goes into buying a bus. You can't just go there all willy nilly, drop a few stacks, and leave with it. These are the things you gotta consider...

-License...you need a CDL

-Fuel...diesel ain't cheap

-The condition its in...most people sell them as-is and often the bus can't be driven out on its own.

-Price of towing (see above)

-Tolls

-Registration papers are in order

-Maintenance for it

-Parking...you just can't park a big ass bus in the street and leave it there lol

-Insurance...that ain't cheap either

-Road tires if needed...Metro Milers are good only up to 55mph and tires will run you at least $300 a pop of you're lucky

There's a lot you gotta do and sometimes it isn't worth it

Its a lot that goes into buying a bus. You can't just go there all willy nilly, drop a few stacks, and leave with it. These are the things you gotta consider...

-License...you need a CDL

-Fuel...diesel ain't cheap

-The condition its in...most people sell them as-is and often the bus can't be driven out on its own.

-Price of towing (see above)

-Tolls

-Registration papers are in order

-Maintenance for it

-Parking...you just can't park a big ass bus in the street and leave it there lol

-Insurance...that ain't cheap either

-Road tires if needed...Metro Milers are good only up to 55mph and tires will run you at least $300 a pop of you're lucky

There's a lot you gotta do and sometimes it isn't worth it

Lol...I kind of wonder what would happen if you just parked a bus on the street (in a legal spot) and left it there. I can picture one of those meter maids scratching his head. I remember some B/O used to park a Command RTS CNG in Queens near my house during the day. I have no godly idea why that bus was there or what the B/O was doing in QUeens, but it was funny to see.

Lol...I kind of wonder what would happen if you just parked a bus on the street (in a legal spot) and left it there. I can picture one of those meter maids scratching his head. I remember some B/O used to park a Command RTS CNG in Queens near my house during the day. I have no godly idea why that bus was there or what the B/O was doing in QUeens, but it was funny to see.

I've always wanted to park a bus on my block, because it's only three lanes (including parking) and it's a two-way, so I always thought it's be fun to see it take up like half the road.

Archived