Should I press charges?

CDTA

Remember how last week I made a joke about B/O's hitting people for taking pictures? Well, you'll never guess what happened to me today. The guy jumped the curb, came out of the bus, started cursing me out, and tried to take my camera, and knock it to the ground, but I maneuvered and he ended up slapping my hand/wrist. I already reported him to CDTA, (didn't mention the curb jumping tough), for assault of a minor. My question is, should I press charges? I mean, on one hand, he assaulted me, and I could've been a nut job, who had a knife on me, and I could've gotten an opportunity to stab him, and the passengers because of his stupidity, so he theoretically risked everybody on that bus lives. (<---- That sentence isn't proper, but i'm lacking sleep) But one hand, he could have a family to support and what not, and it was just a slap on the wrist. But yet again, he wouldn't of gotten out of the bus to begin with. (I'm pretty sure those buses were retrofitted with cameras) and he'll probably get fired/suspended for this, so I think this lawsuit might be overkill.

Thoughts?

Remember how last week I made a joke about B/O's hitting people for taking pictures? Well, you'll never guess what happened to me today. The guy jumped the curb, came out of the bus, started cursing me out, and tried to take my camera, and knock it to the ground, but I maneuvered and he ended up slapping my hand/wrist. I already reported him to CDTA, (didn't mention the curb jumping tough), for assault of a minor. My question is, should I press charges? I mean, on one hand, he assaulted me, and I could've been a nut job, who had a knife on me, and I could've gotten an opportunity to stab him, and the passengers because of his stupidity, so he theoretically risked everybody on that bus lives. (<---- That sentence isn't proper, but i'm lacking sleep) But one hand, he could have a family to support and what not, and it was just a slap on the wrist. But yet again, he wouldn't of gotten out of the bus to begin with. (I'm pretty sure those buses were retrofitted with cameras) and he'll probably get fired/suspended for this, so I think this lawsuit might be overkill.

Thoughts?

Short answer: Yes you should, without a doubt.

If story is true CDTA, then yes press charges. That B/O maybe his side of the story though. With that said, if the story is true then the Driver should be fired asap for that. Even if you not allowed to take pics on CDTA/Albany area buses (dont know their rules/laws as i been on it maybe 1-2x in my life)if you still taking pics after the driver asked and CDTA refused. Then he should called for the local police.

If story is true CDTA, then yes press charges. That B/O maybe his side of the story though. With that said, if the story is true then the Driver should be fired asap for that. Even if you not allowed to take pics on CDTA/Albany area buses (dont know their rules/laws as i been on it maybe 1-2x in my life)if you still taking pics after the driver asked and CDTA refused. Then he should called for the local police.

I would like to here the B/O's side of the story, because from my POV, he seemed needlessly aggressive Honestly, if he has a problem with it, then he should just say that. One of my regulars on the 13 hates it when I take pictures of his bus, so I stopped. I've never seen this B/O before except for I think once on the 18, because that guy cursed me out too about the pictures, and sounded a little threatening, but he didn't touch me, (or attempt to touch me) so I didn't have a problem. (That time he ran past the stop, which is why I didn't report the jumping the curb, because I think he reacts.. odd.. to the concept of a camera being there, and when I was on his bus on the 18, he drove fine, so it's not like he's just a real crappy driver)

Also just to clarify, technically, your'e allowed to take pics/vids of CDTA buses, but there is no official policy stating that. (But the supervisors, and the person who took down my complaint kind of hinted it was fine) But he said it was illegal, because I was taking pictures of him. (I mean, come on seriously? That's your excuse? First off, you're in a Gillig, which has tinted front windows, AND I only saw you ONCE, and how am I supposed to know it's you from three blocks away? (There weren't any red lights, so I took out the camera when he was three blocks away) And he doesn't even look like the person from the 18 as I remembered him. (They could still be two different people, but I doubt it.)

We should combine the two threads lol

That was an accident. My internet's been pretty bad since the hurricane, so when it took over a minute to load, I thought the internet went out entirely, so I made the thread, not realizing there was already another one.

See what CDTA does first, then if you feel that it isn't enough, then press charges. But make sure you keep your evidence and your story straight to get the most out of your case.

That's what I plan on doing, but I turned off the camera after he stepped out of the bus, because normally it's a personal reason, and besides my shot's already ruined anyways. If I had known he was going to be that aggressive I would've kept my camera on. IIRC (Haven't ridden an 08' hybrid in a while), those buses have security cams. But one big problem, (as I stated in the other thread) was that I don't think I can get updated on the situation, if I remained anonymous. I MIGHT be able to talk to the supervisor at my school (We have four school trippers, so we get a CDTA supervisor), and see if he's aware of what's going on.

EDIT: I would just like to say, i'm pretty confident that CDTA will do something, because of the fact that this is against a minor, and it's an assult case on top of that. (And the whole getting out of the seat, running the curb thing yada yada)

What do you want? Do you want the guy to get spoken to, and all drivers instructed that they are not to bother photographers? Then report what happened to the CDTA with details and let them investigate and take action. Not to make excuses for his behavior, but it is possible that he was having a bad day and overreacted.

Was this situation really so bad that you are willing to have someone fired and potentially charged with a crime? Think carefully before you go down this road. It doesn't sound like you filed a police report so who knows if the local DA will be willing or able to file charges. You could file a civil suit, but lawyers cost money. There's no guarantee that you will win this. At best you might have a grainy bus video with no sound available as evidence that might not even show much. If it's a civil suit, the CDTA may fight releasing the tape unless you go to court (again, more $$$). If the driver has a clean record and is otherwise a stand-up guy, it'll be his word against yours. It also may not be so much fun busfanning CDTA in the future either. You can expect your name and face to be remembered by many CDTA drivers since you tried to get one of them fired. No more friendly conversations, and don't be surprised if they call law enforcement and report you for loitering if you hang around a terminal too long watching buses. Just some things you should think about first.

What do you want? Do you want the guy to get spoken to, and all drivers instructed that they are not to bother photographers? Then report what happened to the CDTA with details and let them investigate and take action. Not to make excuses for his behavior, but it is possible that he was having a bad day and overreacted.

Was this situation really so bad that you are willing to have someone fired and potentially charged with a crime? Think carefully before you go down this road. It doesn't sound like you filed a police report so who knows if the local DA will be willing or able to file charges. You could file a civil suit, but lawyers cost money. There's no guarantee that you will win this. At best you might have a grainy bus video with no sound available as evidence that might not even show much. If it's a civil suit, the CDTA may fight releasing the tape unless you go to court (again, more $$$). If the driver has a clean record and is otherwise a stand-up guy, it'll be his word against yours. It also may not be so much fun busfanning CDTA in the future either. You can expect your name and face to be remembered by many CDTA drivers since you tried to get one of them fired. No more friendly conversations, and don't be surprised if they call law enforcement and report you for loitering if you hang around a terminal too long watching buses. Just some things you should think about first.

Interesting point. I understand the bad day part, which is why i'm a bit reluctant to press charges. But I am still filing a complaint with CDTA (actually I already did), because even if you have had a bad day, that's no excuse to do that. And I specifically specified in the report that I have no problems with B/O's hassling me, as long as you don't touch me or my property. Also sidewalks=public property. Also, in a worst case scenario, I do have a video of him jumping the curb, and then getting out of the bus and approaching me in an aggresive manner. And as I said, IIRC the hybrids have cameras on them too.

Interesting point. I understand the bad day part, which is why i'm a bit reluctant to press charges. But I am still filing a complaint with CDTA (actually I already did), because even if you have had a bad day, that's no excuse to do that. And I specifically specified in the report that I have no problems with B/O's hassling me, as long as you don't touch me or my property. Also sidewalks=public property. Also, in a worst case scenario, I do have a video of him jumping the curb, and then getting out of the bus and approaching me in an aggresive manner. And as I said, IIRC the hybrids have cameras on them too.

You should go with your gut... Seems like you're considering taking some sort of action if you're asking about it here... My opinion is if the B/O violated you then you have to do what you have to do. Screw the brotherhood BS. What he did was unnecessary and unjustified and quite frankly I get tired of hearing the excuses and the they should get a free pass. I don't condone B/Os being attacked by crazy passengers for no reason and I also don't condone B/Os going after passengers for simply taking photos. I find that generally with some folks it isn't just a one time incident and if they wanted to try that brotherhood B.S. I would be ready to deal with that. My uncle is a B/O and his philosophy is to give respect to those who respect him. He's been at it for over 25 years now and I think the main reason why he hasn't had any issues that I know of is because he doesn't overreact. He's very laid back and has patience which a job like this takes.

That was an accident. My internet's been pretty bad since the hurricane, so when it took over a minute to load, I thought the internet went out entirely, so I made the thread, not realizing there was already another one.

That's what I plan on doing, but I turned off the camera after he stepped out of the bus, because normally it's a personal reason, and besides my shot's already ruined anyways. If I had known he was going to be that aggressive I would've kept my camera on. IIRC (Haven't ridden an 08' hybrid in a while), those buses have security cams. But one big problem, (as I stated in the other thread) was that I don't think I can get updated on the situation, if I remained anonymous. I MIGHT be able to talk to the supervisor at my school (We have four school trippers, so we get a CDTA supervisor), and see if he's aware of what's going on.

EDIT: I would just like to say, i'm pretty confident that CDTA will do something, because of the fact that this is against a minor, and it's an assult case on top of that. (And the whole getting out of the seat, running the curb thing yada yada)

Depending on the seriousness of the situation (I don't know, I wasn't there), I might have considered pressing charges, especially if I felt threatened. However, when I have experienced altercations with a B/O, calling in seems to suffice, or I laugh in their face.

If you do feel threatned, you should continue with this, despite what others may say.

1. B.S. All of us have bad days, but to essentially take it out on someone, who wasn't even involved is ridiculous. That's behavior I'd expect of a little kid.

2. Hell yeah. If he is acting like a douche, then he should be fired, or at least a leave. Also, by the way, the way your phrasing your post, it is worded as if he did commit a crime. Not important, but had you legally been defending the driver, you F-ed up right there.

3. Not imtimidating at all.

You should go with your gut... Seems like you're considering taking some sort of action if you're asking about it here... My opinion is if the B/O violated you then you have to do what you have to do. Screw the brotherhood BS. What he did was unnecessary and unjustified and quite frankly I get tired of hearing the excuses and the they should get a free pass. I don't condone B/Os being attacked by crazy passengers for no reason and I also don't condone B/Os going after passengers for simply taking photos. I find that generally with some folks it isn't just a one time incident and if they wanted to try that brotherhood B.S. I would be ready to deal with that. My uncle is a B/O and his philosophy is to give respect to those who respect him. He's been at it for over 25 years now and I think the main reason why he hasn't had any issues that I know of is because he doesn't overreact. He's very laid back and has patience which a job like this takes.

Right? It's only fair.

Also, by the way, the way your phrasing your post, it is worded as if he did commit a crime. Not important, but had you legally been defending the driver, you F-ed up right there.

I'm not a lawyer, just a message-board poster, so who cares. Just offering another opinion and a few things to think about - the original poster can take it or leave it.

Archived