The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got a 97 on my midterm. It wasn't too bad. Just study everything that you've learned from day 1. As far as the practical goes make sure you don't forget to check all of your angles, ebv's, and make sure all of your mdc's are in run. As long as you do all of those things you should be ok.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would like to thank everyone on this forum who has helped me make it through school car, and beyond. As of a couple days ago, I am officially off of probation. It has been a tough ride, but WELL worth it.

I especially would like to thank mediccjh, for starting this thread. I resorted back to this thread many times, to get a better understanding of where I'm headed, as I progressed through school car.

I now understand why school car is so damn tough! It's to prepare you for the road... 

Thanks!!!! :)

PS: About to get dress.. My induction group is celebrating in Manhattan tonight. :rock:

How long does it take to get a steady shift?

With the way people are moving around I'd say C/R's especially can expect to see something after two full picks on the job, especially if you make it to Schoolcar before 8094 ends. For T/O's it'll probably take much longer but it's difficult to know. Platform C/R's seem to be working out, that may expand and it should. The W is making a comeback, the Second avenue line is coming, people still hanging it up all over the place. Transit is gonna need quite a few more employees and that's good for all of us beginning careers in Transit. I personally was able to pick a job while still having about 6 weeks left in probation. The same goes for several other people.

I got a 97 on my midterm. It wasn't too bad. Just study everything that you've learned from day 1. As far as the practical goes make sure you don't forget to check all of your angles, ebv's, and make sure all of your mdc's are in run. As long as you do all of those things you should be ok.

Don't forget the two maps, the breakers, the safety chains, PA's IC's. Output arm must touch the bumper stop when cutting a door then snap check it, take car number and door number. All that was on my practical

Edited by Xentor

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on this forum over a year my brother introduced me to it we also took the exam together this threa helped me out tremendously gave me allot of info, answered questions as officially as Thursday I got the probationary removed from my name the year flew by especially when I started pounding the road. Guys it's out there for you, you just gotta want it & take it with everything it's what you put in GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

I've been on this forum over a year my brother introduced me to it we also took the exam together this threa helped me out tremendously gave me allot of info, answered questions as officially as Thursday I got the probationary removed from my name the year flew by especially when I started pounding the road. Guys it's out there for you, you just gotta want it & take it with everything it's what you put in GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE

Congrats!

I got A division so I'm happier now. And as we've all encountered, there's that ONE person in the class I gotta just SMH at.

The paperwork just doesn't seem to end!! LOL!

363 days to go.

Yes I'm in the A division also

Cool. Hopefully we'll cross paths whenever I hit the road.

Today we met with the heads of training at PS 248 during the morning and a couple of TSS's. The infamous Alesso was one of them (he really knows his stuff). We watched videos, ate at John's for lunch and will be getting boots, tools and the like tomorrow. We also have to work Monday with NO OT. Oh well...we'll get a taste of OT tomorrow (4 hours) for extended training.

361 days to go.

Yes, TSS Garrett recommended packing snacks in your bag like almonds/granola bars/apples/oranges and bottled water because you're going to be hungry/thirsty at unexpected times, you never know when you'll get to a store and you can wind up spending a lot of money on crappy food.

The area near Jamaica Yard is actually very nice but it is a long trek up and down the hill, and they don't want to hear any excuses about why you're late reporting back to work.

Wow extended training. That's new. 8+4 I guessAlesso is a good instructor. He has 28 years in the job. I can't stand his voice though.

It was some terrorist defense type training.

I always keep snacks with me. Always have. I stay away from the junk now. Fruits and stuff. I'm trying to stay healthy.

On a crazy side, the safety TSS supervisors spoke to us today. They fired a c/r for using a tablet as a phone while in service last night. He HAD 15 years on the job. SMH......

Oh and WTF with these books and tools?!?!?!!!?!!?? LOL! I weighed my bag and its 25lbs!!

360 left.

Edited by L Bo

I always keep snacks with me. Always have. I stay away from the junk now. Fruits and stuff. I'm trying to stay healthy.

On a crazy side, the safety TSS supervisors spoke to us today. They fired a c/r for using a tablet as a phone while in service last night. He HAD 15 years on the job. SMH......

Oh and WTF with these books and tools?!?!?!!!?!!?? LOL! I weighed my bag and its 25lbs!!

360 left.

The quickest way to lose this job is to get caught with that phone while in service.

Quicker than hitting not one but two home signals.

Quicker than running out of not two but three stations.

Quicker than cutting a train when you forgot to take down the safety chains.

Quicker than splitting a switch.

Seriously. They are not playing with the phone violations. Read the bulletin on distractions. Penalty can be termination for a first offense.

Edited by SubwayGuy

Scary. Hopefully this is a lesson to all of us who enjoy using our smartphones for so many things.

I'm thinking the best tactic is to turn off the phone (not put it on silent mode, shut the damn thing off) whenever going into the yard or on the train. And have it zipped into your bag, not your pocket.

Question - is phone use acceptable while waiting for an assignment? Can you be on your phone while other people are watching TV or socializing?

Or is it better to just have the phone off whenever you're on the clock?

Scary. Hopefully this is a lesson to all of us who enjoy using our smartphones for so many things.

I'm thinking the best tactic is to turn off the phone (not put it on silent mode, shut the damn thing off) whenever going into the yard or on the train. And have it zipped into your bag, not your pocket.

Question - is phone use acceptable while waiting for an assignment? Can you be on your phone while other people are watching TV or socializing?

Or is it better to just have the phone off whenever you're on the clock?

Speaking as someone whose a tech geek, I've gone cold turkey while in Schoolcar. It's not easy, but necessary.

I believe in the crew room it's allowed, but once you leave, it better not be in your hands. This goes for the watches as well. The bulletin is VERY clear on this topic. What I am wondering is if it applies to fitbits also. If the phone is off, then there is no information going TO the watch.

I don't wanna miss out on all the steps, but if I have to I will.

360 left.

L Bo what's up we are in the same class