The Schoolcar Experience

mediccjh

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a train operator who said that the crew office does not grant more than 3 days off in a row. Is that true? That would certainly suck if true...

For AVA/OTO/PLD and non-picked vacation days...that is true. They will not grant you more than 3 days in a row.

The only way to get more than 3 days off in a row is to pick vacation.

You can, however, get more than 3 days if you bookend your day off requests around your RDO's, if you have picked RDO's. You can also try this when you are new if the crew office has been giving you steady RDO's, it can't hurt.

Edited by SubwayGuy

For AVA/OTO/PLD and non-picked vacation days...that is true. They will not grant you more than 3 days in a row.

The only way to get more than 3 days off in a row is to pick vacation.

You can, however, get more than 3 days if you bookend your day off requests around your RDO's, if you have picked RDO's. You can also try this when you are new if the crew office has been giving you steady RDO's, it can't hurt.

So, for example, if my days off are Monday/Tuesday, I can only request Sunday and Wednesday off and NOT Wednesday/Thursday or Saturday/Sunday? Essentially, I can only have 4 days off at most with regards to my days off. That said, I can request 3 days off in a row that's not pertaining to my days off (ie in the same example, I would be able to request Thurs, Fri, Sat off?)

Another question. I've found that the day after my requested day off, IVR doesn't have a job listed for me. I'd have to call the crew office to get my job. This has happened to me 3 times. Is that normal? Or is it related to requesting the 2nd day off in a row after my rdo's (thus attempting to get 4 days off in a row)?

So, for example, if my days off are Monday/Tuesday, I can only request Sunday and Wednesday off and NOT Wednesday/Thursday or Saturday/Sunday? Essentially, I can only have 4 days off at most with regards to my days off. That said, I can request 3 days off in a row that's not pertaining to my days off (ie in the same example, I would be able to request Thurs, Fri, Sat off?)

Another question. I've found that the day after my requested day off, IVR doesn't have a job listed for me. I'd have to call the crew office to get my job. This has happened to me 3 times. Is that normal? Or is it related to requesting the 2nd day off in a row after my rdo's (thus attempting to get 4 days off in a row)?

You can request: Saturday/Sunday/Wednesday or Sunday/Wednesday/Thursday. You will not get approved for Thursday if you request Saturday/Sunday/Wednesday/Thursday.

If the IVR doesn't have a job listed for you, you will need to call the crew office, or if you live near a terminal in your subdivision, pop in and check the sheets. You can also ask someone you trust at work to check the sheets for you.

• 2 months later...

Finished schoolcar. On the road now. Totally different experience. Nervous as hell. But so glad i made it.

Congratulations dude glad you made it.  Be safe out there, take your time

and best of luck to you.   

• 2 weeks later...

If your rdo are m/t, you can request Friday, Saturday and Sunday off...or Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, thus giving you 5 days off. I've done it 3 or 4 times since being down here without issue.

If your rdo are m/t, you can request Friday, Saturday and Sunday off...or Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, thus giving you 5 days off. I've done it 3 or 4 times since being down here without issue.

Btw, I didn't realize how late I was in this response...lol. I'm sure you know by now

Just a question: From the time when Medic started this topic until now, has anyone noted a change in RTO? Those who were hired from this list around that time have at least 2 years in Motors. Good, bad, indifferent? Move this over to the Crew if need be please. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question for the TOs around here - out of curiosity, if you tripped a signal, did you have to actually physically get out of the train in order to reset the trip arm (I'm not sure if that's what they're known as in New York as well)? I know that in Toronto, on the older trains you had to do that, while on the newer ones you can push a button in the cab to reset the trip. Is something like that done in New York?

Thanks.

Edited by ttcsubwayfan

Holy crap time flies. On the road & am now OPTO qualified. Time goes by so fast in the TA. I hope everyone who is in school car now is listening to their instructors. School car teachings and experiences are totally different than real world experiences. Be safe everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys/Gals,

I started school car last week Monday, and we finally finished up all the orientation and paperwork as of today. Of course, the orientation had me all pumped at times, and nervous as well. The thought of not making it through this, is kind of overwhelming at times. We met with a Superintendent, and Various Senior Director throughout the week, whom most of them gave some positive speeches.

Tomorrow will be our my first day breaking up into groups, I will be at PS 248 tomorrow for the "Right To know and Bio Hearing class", then the following days we will be visiting all the different yards. I'm in the "A" division, which is great, and my TSSI's are Albanese and James. I'm highly anxious to be feed a lot of information, of course expecting that I keep up. Everyone in my group (including myself) are worried about the signal test, but we will do our part by studying at home.

I will keep everyone updated, and ask questions from time to time. Pleased wish me well.  :)

@ErikNYC, I'm sorry to hear about your TSS's. James is a tough ass, that you can't joke with. She's going to expect alot of you. Make sure you know your stuff. If you don't, she'll make sure you hear about it & won't hesitate to out you in front of the class. Good luck

Edited by WestEndMan

Hello Guys/Gals,

I started school car last week Monday, and we finally finished up all the orientation and paperwork as of today. Of course, the orientation had me all pumped at times, and nervous as well. The thought of not making it through this, is kind of overwhelming at times. We met with a Superintendent, and Various Senior Director throughout the week, whom most of them gave some positive speeches.

Tomorrow will be our my first day breaking up into groups, I will be at PS 248 tomorrow for the "Right To know and Bio Hearing class", then the following days we will be visiting all the different yards. I'm in the "A" division, which is great, and my TSSI's are Albanese and James. I'm highly anxious to be feed a lot of information, of course expecting that I keep up. Everyone in my group (including myself) are worried about the signal test, but we will do our part by studying at home.

I will keep everyone updated, and ask questions from time to time. Pleased wish me well.  :)

OK.Erik...We are in the SAME group...

Yup Albanese is very knowledgeable. As long as you do the reading, he will answer all your questions, but if you don't do the reading and ask questions he will see right through it and be rough with you. But facts - you should be doing the reading anyway. His personality is a certain way but you'll realize he doesn't mean anything by it - His tone puts some people off but again he really doesn't mean anything by it. Some people look for an excuse to take everything personally. Don't. Here's there to help you, and he's been doing this for a very long time, so he knows what he's talking about, and he's good at what he does.

Once you start moving trains, he also will hold you to a high standard of train operation that will make you better in the end. Come in fast (not timid), make smooth stops, have full control of the train, and respect the timers. If you learn to make proper station stops (and not crappy slow ones where you take and release brake 5 times before finally coming to a stop), it will be easier to keep schedule, avoid sick passengers (yes, passengers will actually get sick on your train if you jerk them around too much) and complaints, and hit the mark at every station...especially where you have to punch. You are not going to get a silver star from him just for not putting a door panel out of a station, or being +/- 3 feet from the stop marker. And that's a good thing. Because once you are out on your own, when it comes to making station stops, Transit is going to expect you to be perfect. 100% of the time. No overruns, no short stops. No missing a punch (especially if it is for a tower controlled automatically). So it's better to start working towards that early.

Just because of people's personalities, you may meet some jokers in your class or another that don't take the training seriously, don't read, and don't study. IGNORE THEM. Do the work. There are two parts to this job, one is book (know the rules, know your job, as TSS Alesso would say), the other is operational (learn to really control that train and operate safely and efficiently). You need BOTH to make it down here. This is your career, you waited a long time for this opportunity, don't piss it away by being lazy. It's a good job with security in a world that doesn't offer that anymore. Remember that, put in the work, and you should do fine.

As for TSS James, I don't know enough about them to comment, the only James I know in schoolcar is a Superintendent. Last I remember he was at the simulator. Cool dude though. If he's still there you'll meet him on your simulator days.

Hello Guys/Gals,

Hah. Have fun with the mullet lady. It's a TA rite of passage.

Edited by SubwayGuy

@ErikNYC, I'm sorry to hear about your TSS's. James is a tough ass, that you can't joke with. She's going to expect alot of you. Make sure you know your stuff. If you don't, she'll make sure you hear about it & won't hesitate to out you in front of the class. Good luck

Yea, James seems more direct. I need that at times.

I've know Albanese for years, he will make sure you know what you need to know.

Albanese is funny at times. Everyone is so worried about the signal test, that Albanese stated "Can I please teach the class first?". Today made our first day of class, as well as breaking up into groups. Surprisingly, there are two members of this forum in my class. :D

Thanks for your for feedback guys. I'm plan to work hard to do my part of the bargain. :)

Yup Albanese is very knowledgeable. As long as you do the reading, he will answer all your questions, but if you don't do the reading and ask questions he will see right through it and be rough with you. But facts - you should be doing the reading anyway. His personality is a certain way but you'll realize he doesn't mean anything by it - His tone puts some people off but again he really doesn't mean anything by it. Some people look for an excuse to take everything personally. Don't. Here's there to help you, and he's been doing this for a very long time, so he knows what he's talking about, and he's good at what he does.

Once you start moving trains, he also will hold you to a high standard of train operation that will make you better in the end. Come in fast (not timid), make smooth stops, have full control of the train, and respect the timers. If you learn to make proper station stops (and not crappy slow ones where you take and release brake 5 times before finally coming to a stop), it will be easier to keep schedule, avoid sick passengers (yes, passengers will actually get sick on your train if you jerk them around too much) and complaints, and hit the mark at every station...especially where you have to punch. You are not going to get a silver star from him just for not putting a door panel out of a station, or being +/- 3 feet from the stop marker. And that's a good thing. Because once you are out on your own, when it comes to making station stops, Transit is going to expect you to be perfect. 100% of the time. No overruns, no short stops. No missing a punch (especially if it is for a tower controlled automatically). So it's better to start working towards that early.

Just because of people's personalities, you may meet some jokers in your class or another that don't take the training seriously, don't read, and don't study. IGNORE THEM. Do the work. There are two parts to this job, one is book (know the rules, know your job, as TSS Alesso would say), the other is operational (learn to really control that train and operate safely and efficiently). You need BOTH to make it down here. This is your career, you waited a long time for this opportunity, don't piss it away by being lazy. It's a good job with security in a world that doesn't offer that anymore. Remember that, put in the work, and you should do fine.

As for TSS James, I don't know enough about them to comment, the only James I know in schoolcar is a Superintendent. Last I remember he was at the simulator. Cool dude though. If he's still there you'll meet him on your simulator days.

Thank you.

Thanks for the heads-up. I know how instructors, and people in general can be. I'm here to learn and be good at what I do. Albanese has years of instructor experience, which I highly appreciate. Tomorrow we will be at the West YD. :)

The last thing Albanese told me was "Don't worry were going to go over signals, they are going to smack you in your face". I said okay, and went back to my seat smiling. :)

TSS James seems very stern when it comes to knowing the rules.

Hello Guys/Gals,

Albanese is definitely one of the best Schoolcar Motor Instructors. Yes, he has a personality that takes getting used to, but what everyone here says is the truth. He will teach you as long as you are willing to learn. And you will learn what Junkboxes are.

My first time taking a train down the road, I brought an R68 into Bay Parkway S/B on the West End fast, took a nice brake, and stopped smoothly. He turned to me, smiled, and said, "Not bad." 

One day, he told me to walk around CI Yard barefoot. I started taking off my boots. He asks, "What the hell are you doing??" My reply: "Well, you told me to walk around the yard barefoot, and I actually like being barefoot." He just gives me a look before telling me to get the hell outta there (jokingly, of course). 

Take things one day at a time. Search for the Schoolcar Survival Guide thread and read it. 

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions. When it's time for Road Posting, I always take students.