JFK Express

King Of RedBirds

I agree with that statement when you say the AIRTRAIN is the real train to the plane, but I really wouldnt think that the (E) would be affected since it is local on the 8th Avenue line and the (JFK) was express so it really wouldnt be express and a super express (A) would be just like the (JFK) so it would cause too much congestion along Fulton Street and it would soon go out off service too, we're fine with the JFK setup as it is now.

Actually the (E) would've been affected.

After leaving the 63 St branch (back when it was new), it went via 6 Av local (skipping 23 & 14 Sts) to West 4 St, then switching to 8 Av local (skipping Spring St).

I read somewhere (forgot where at) that the (JFK) got priority over everything, so if there was an (E) at West 4 St or at Canal St, it would have to wait for the (JFK) to go by first

After leaving the 63 St branch (back when it was new), it went via 6 Av local (skipping 23 & 14 Sts) to West 4 St, then switching to 8 Av local (skipping Spring St).

I read somewhere (forgot where at) that the (JFK) got priority over everything, so if there was an (E) at West 4 St or at Canal St, it would have to wait for the (JFK) to go by first

I thought the (JFK) was express via 6th Avenue and on 8th Avenue below West 4th Street - Washington Square, I guess I read something wrong.

Tri-State Area Regional Rail Ideas

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=215312482559953359515.000496c9cdea77cff2ae1&msa=0&ll=40.731389,-73.919106&spn=0.175609,0.41851

The Downtown Access from Long Island & New Jersey was proposed back in the late 90s and was shelved back into 2007 due to rising costs but it would have added an estimated 400,000 new riders to both the LIRR and NJT... Hopefully both the Downtown Access and the New Idea Metro North Access to Lower Manhattan & Staten Island can be talked about and built sometime over the next 15-20 years. This region is starting to suffer from a broken and over stressed Rail Network and bad / slow connections to the Airports...

Its route complexity is what overall harmed the line, the (JFK) constantly got stuck behind normal (A) trains, which played a big role in why it was axed, it sometimes took just as long or longer to get to Howard Beach as the regular (A). Plus it's ridership wasn't that great, A large percentage of it's riders were Howard Beach commuters who wanted to avoid a certain "type of people" from East NY and Brownsville, one speaker at a discontinuation hearing actually complained on record about having to take the "African Queen" to work, unfortunately there is no cure for ignorance.

Its route complexity is what overall harmed the line, the (JFK) constantly got stuck behind normal (A) trains, which played a big role in why it was axed, it sometimes took just as long or longer to get to Howard Beach as the regular (A). Plus it's ridership wasn't that great, A large percentage of it's riders were Howard Beach commuters who wanted to avoid a certain "type of people" from East NY and Brownsville, one speaker at a discontinuation hearing actually complained on record about having to take the "African Queen" to work, unfortunately there is no cure for ignorance.

I can remember the (A) from Far Rock being called the "African Express" even by people who lived in Cypress Hills, ENY, and Brownsville. I never took it seriously until one of my classmates in schoolcar told me that even B division train crews called it by that name although the name was frowned upon officially. As you pointed out the (JFK) was used by many people to bypass many stops like Broadway-ENY and Euclid Avenue as well as Nostrand Avenue@ Fulton Street. I used to laugh at the ignorance of prople who would pay a premium fare to follow an (A) train that used the same tracks and one that would never pass that same (A) no matter how many stops were bypassed. Sheer stupidity IMO. Carry on.

I tought the (A) was forced to run local when the (JFK) ran? But I do agree otherwise that it was stupid to pay more to ride a train that followed the train in front. Also weren't the R46s 'exclusive' to the (JFK) and the older cars on the (A)?

Well outside of Rush Hours, the (A) was local in Brooklyn anyway, as the (C) was a rush hour only service back then. However, the ONLY stop in Brooklyn the JFK express made was Jay Street, which means it still had to share the double track section of the Fulton Street line with the (A) anyway and also the (C) during Rush Hours. Outside of Rush Hours it would be able to make up for lost time on open express tracks between Hoyt and Euclid since the (A) would be running local at that time, but then it would just end up merging with the (A) again, once it got to Queens, not to mention its merging/diverging in Manhattan with the (E) and (F) at W4th Junction, lets just say to run this train was an operational nightmare and as said before, many of it's riders were Howard Beach commuter traveling during Peak Hours, which was the same time the (A) was operating express in Brooklyn..thus rendering the service from a service planning point of view a headache, slightly reptetitive and pointless. In addition to the fact that during service disruptions they sometime made it make normal stops and accept regular passengers. As for the R46 question, yes the JFK Express was always "CLEAN" graffiti free R46 sets, during the 80's the (A) was a mix of R32's,R40's and R44's and while the (C) was mostly R10's and R44's.

Archived