Why are the Metro-North & LIRR stations so much cleaner than the subways?

Via Garibaldi 8

It's a question that I thought about when I've used them... Same thing with most of the LIRR stations I've been to, although some of them look rundown... The only crappy looking MetroNorth station I've seen is the Grand Central one which could use a renovation. Quite depressing if I may say so myself...

It's a question that I thought about when I've used them... Same thing with most of the LIRR stations I've been to, although some of them look rundown... The only crappy looking MetroNorth station I've seen is the Grand Central one which could use a renovation. Quite depressing if I may say so myself...

theres a few craptastic Metro North stops, Melrose and Tremont come to mind, however University Heights and Morris Heights are clean and both are in the ghetto parts of the Bronx.

the LIRR has a few stops that are looking very run down lately, almost like they could pass for a subway station, Hicksville which has that subway style column rust/peeling paint, Murray Hill (odd cuz they cleaned it up a few years back), and Great Neck which is surprising since its in a nice area but the train station there looks decrepit.

Metro North is in the suburbs, so they tend to be more well kept

Apples to oranges, you can't compare a subway with commuter rail just because they're both on rails.

I don't see why you can't...

theres a few craptastic Metro North stops, Melrose and Tremont come to mind, however University Heights and Morris Heights are clean and both are in the ghetto parts of the Bronx.

the LIRR has a few stops that are looking very run down lately, almost like they could pass for a subway station, Hicksville which has that subway style column rust/peeling paint, Murray Hill (odd cuz they cleaned it up a few years back), and Great Neck which is surprising since its in a nice area but the train station there looks decrepit.

Metro North is in the suburbs, so they tend to be more well kept

So is the LIRR... I just wonder if it's because they clean the platforms more (as in power washing or what). Good point about University Heights and Morris Heights... Those two neighborhoods are like the poorest in the city. Then again those two stops are like ghost towns anyway so it would make sense that they would be clean. Could be also the type of folks riding... It's generally more affluent folks and they're not just slobs, though you get the coffee cup and newspaper...

I'm just thinking that maybe the (MTA) can use some tactics used on MetroNorth and the LIRR in terms of cleanliness... Most of the platforms are pretty simple.

I can help you with a non-Joel-style response. It is mainly because subway stations are heavily used. Take into consideration, Grand Central Terminal on the platform. Since, Grand Central is a heavily used station there is more of a likeliness for it to be dirty.

Suppose 1 out of 20 people litter daily. Take 14th Street-USQ on the (4)(5)(6) and Tarrytown-Hudson Line. If 1,000 people use Tarrytown in a day, there are 50 people littering. Although 1,000,000 people use Union Square (4)(5)(6), 50,000 people litter. Therefore, there are 1,000 times more people littering each day at Union Square and Park Avenue South than there are at Tarrytown on the Hudson Line.

I understand all of that and it's obvious but there clearly must be something that they do with the LIRR and MetroNorth that isn't done with the subways... I honestly don't see people littering on MetroNorth or the LIRR, but they must powerwash those platforms far more often than they do in the subways... That's one thing I'd like to know about. How often do they clean their platforms vs the subways??? Interestingly enough the MetroNorth Grand Central station is pretty dirty though I don't see people littering. It seems as if they don't powerwash the platform there too often...

I understand all of that and it's obvious but there clearly must be something that they do with the LIRR and MetroNorth that isn't done with the subways... I honestly don't see people littering on MetroNorth or the LIRR, but they must powerwash those platforms far more often than they do in the subways... That's one thing I'd like to know about. How often do they clean their platforms vs the subways??? Interestingly enough the MetroNorth Grand Central station is pretty dirty though I don't see people littering. It seems as if they don't powerwash the platform there too often...

Well, for one thing... there are less people on the platforms at night on commuter rail stations, and they also have less train traffic, so why wouldn't they wash the stations more often?

Come my point with Grand Central. Grand Central is always generally crowded...

Well, for one thing... there are less people on the platforms at night on commuter rail stations, and they also have less train traffic, so why wouldn't they wash the stations more often?

Come my point with Grand Central. Grand Central is always generally crowded...

It's best for someone who works with the MNRR or the LIRR to answer this... What I'm interested in is procedures in terms of cleaning... I also notice that they have recycle bins for newspapers which everyone uses... Subways don't have them and people just throw their trash everywhere... So it seems if there are a number of issues at play... Cleaning procedures, people's mentality and the general set up overall, but let's see what the workers say... Does money come into play as in political pressure to keep the stations up more as well or what's the deal...

While i dont work for MNRR/LIRR my brother did until recently. VG8 must have an agenda again on why this topic is created lol.

1)MNRR does not run between appx. 2-430am. In letters where i suggested running limited overnight service i.e every 90 minutes-2 hours like the LIRR, besides lack of $$$, the other reason is time to clean the stations. In the NYC subways, almost all of the 400-plus stations are open 365 days 24/7. Not to mention time to clean the trains as well. MNRR/LIRR overnight crews wash and clean the cars as well. I see the MNRR workers at Poughkeepsie at 4am as the last train from Grand Central arrives at Poughkeepsie.

2)Trains for many MNRR/LIRR stations run every hour or more and thus riders spending less time at the station.

3)Demographics. While it's true the very poor dont ride MNRR/LIRR often, at same time not everyone is a Millionarie living in Greenwich, Scarsdale or Bronxville.

4)This is also of many light rail/subways across America such as Bart (San Francisco area) Washington DC Metro(combo subway/high speed LIRR type commutter rail)and even the LA and San Diego light rails.

Hope it answers some of your question VG8. Where you going with this VG8, you dont want "riff raff" on MNRR lol?

Trust me the designs also play a part as well limiting the potential litter. Besides it's only a matter of time before MNRR becomes as dirty as the subways in a few decades when it's frequencies become subway like.

While i dont work for MNRR/LIRR my brother did until recently. VG8 must have an agenda again on why this topic is created lol.

1)MNRR does not run between appx. 2-430am. In letters where i suggested running limited overnight service i.e every 90 minutes-2 hours like the LIRR, besides lack of $$$, the other reason is time to clean the stations. In the NYC subways, almost all of the 400-plus stations are open 365 days 24/7. Not to mention time to clean the trains as well. MNRR/LIRR overnight crews wash and clean the cars as well. I see the MNRR workers at Poughkeepsie at 4am as the last train from Grand Central arrives at Poughkeepsie.

2)Trains for many MNRR/LIRR stations run every hour or more and thus riders spending less time at the station.

3)Demographics. While it's true the very poor dont ride MNRR/LIRR often, at same time not everyone is a Millionarie living in Greenwich, Scarsdale or Bronxville.

4)This is also of many light rail/subways across America such as Bart (San Francisco area) Washington DC Metro(combo subway/high speed LIRR type commutter rail)and even the LA and San Diego light rails.

Hope it answers some of your question VG8. Where you going with this VG8, you dont want "riff raff" on MNRR lol?

LA is a combo of commuter rail and subway for inner. and needs more service I had a feeling WMATA was like that but I never considered em to be commuter rail due to MARC and VRE doing that poorly I might add but still doing it.

I'm wondering because I want to see if they powerwash the stations more often as well as clean the trains more often or what the deal is and if some of what they do can be enacted on the subways to make them cleaner. I'm also wondering if the cleaner environment on MNRR and the LIRR encourages folks not to be such slobs like on the subway? I mean I think if folks see really clean stations like I see on the LIRR and MNRR they would be less inclined to litter. As for the stations being shut down that's only a few hours though so do the few hours they have to clean really make that big of a difference as oppose to the subway??

As for riff raff... As you said not many poor folks ride, but whenever I do see any they don't leave trash all over the place and I wonder if the environment has anything to do with it as in clean trains, clean stations and they feel sort of pressured into not littering if you will...

Some LIRR stations are quite filthy and vandalized.

valley stream is p--- literally. gives ENY run for it's money.

that one isnt too bad, it was renovated a year or two ago. Hicksville is looking very run down, probably down there in one of the most run down LIRR stations. They renovated many of the stops on the port jefferson branch, like New Hyde Park, Mineola, and Westbury but Hicksville is still looking very craptastic by comparison.

that one isnt too bad, it was renovated a year or two ago. Hicksville is looking very run down, probably down there in one of the most run down LIRR stations. They renovated many of the stops on the port jefferson branch, like New Hyde Park, Mineola, and Westbury but Hicksville is still looking very craptastic by comparison.

I agree... I actually got off at Hicksville to meet a few clients not too far away and I was thinking what in the hell... They could also use some better stores around there... Nothing really but that Dunkin Donuts which I'm obviously not too keen on. Car service there as decent though. Coming back the client I was meeting with dropped me off at the Mineola station which looks pretty decent.

I agree... I actually got off at Hicksville to meet a few clients not too far away and I was thinking what in the hell... They could also use some better stores around there... Nothing really but that Dunkin Donuts which I'm obviously not too keen on. Car service there as decent though. Coming back the client I was meeting with dropped me off at the Mineola station which looks pretty decent.

I know that dunkin donuts well, ive had many a coffee and bagel there in the morning to begin my train photo trips

Archived