IRT cars

Subwayfan12

Why aren't IRT cars wider and longer as BMT/IND cars. Have you seen uptown bound (4) trains during 1pm-7pm. Sometimes I have to let two trains pass before I can get on a half-packed train.

Will the MTA order wider and longer trains when the r62/A's retire? I only hope so

Yes I know the Mta has kept the IRT tradition by having smaller cars, but they should break tradition.

No, sorry I'll have to disagree. Here's why: The A Division and B Division trains operate only in their own division; operating in the other division is not allowed. This is mainly because the IRT sections have narrower tunnel segments, tighter curves, and tighter platform clearances than the BMT/IND sections. Plus, the trains are lighter..... sooooo......

This is right, we gain more capacity by running more train than having longer train.

By example with a train every 2 minutes instead of a train every 3 minutes, we increase the capacity by 50%.

That would only cause more delays than there is. Some trains come every 5-8mins and there are still delays

That would only cause more delays than there is. Some trains come every 5-8mins and there are still delays

No. It won't. The more often trains arrive, the less amount of people getting on at each station, which means that trains spend less time at each station, speeding up service.

No. It won't. The more often trains arrive, the less amount of people getting on at each station, which means that trains spend less time at each station, speeding up service.

More trains causes more merging which causes more delays.

That would only work on lines that don't share tracks with any other line, like the (1)(6)(7)(L), but I'm pretty sure those lines are at full capacity already.

More trains causes more merging which causes more delays.

That would only work on lines that don't share tracks with any other line, like the (1)(6)(7)(L), but I'm pretty sure those lines are at full capacity already.

The point is, with CBTC coming, these sorts of operations involving merging will become more efficient, resulting in less delays with more trains.

Why aren't IRT cars wider and longer as BMT/IND cars. Have you seen uptown bound (4) trains during 1pm-7pm. Sometimes I have to let two trains pass before I can get on a half-packed train.

Will the MTA order wider and longer trains when the r62/A's retire? I only hope so

Yes I know the Mta has kept the IRT tradition by having smaller cars, but they should break tradition.

Mike, Tony & Angela just read this and ordering wider trains just for you.

Archived