New B84 Route Being Proposed

Metro CSW

If the B83 strictly served Pennsylvania Ave between New Lots and Vandalia Aves, It would only serve the Linden Houses.  Operating via Van Siclen Ave, it serves the Linden Houses AND the Boulevard Houses.  In other words, the current routing of the B83 accurately reflects current ridership patterns and trends.

The only logical solution would be to have the B20 to operate via Flatlands Ave between Pennsylvania and Fountain Aves, a new Linden Blvd bus route, and have the B6 operate east of Pennsylvania Ave in one direction via Wortman Ave and the other via Cozine Ave.

Although a Linden Blvd bus route would fill major service gaps in East New York, and attract a whole lot of riders, the service planners, if it's up to them, will not let this happen.  They will easily dismiss this Linden Blvd route as too costly, that the B20 would duplicate the B84, though they would serve different markets, and that a new B6 route pattern would confuse current riders.

Like I said, my proposal is DOA, but I will say it anyway at the public hearing.

At least I will give them my two cents.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the B83 strictly served Pennsylvania Ave between New Lots and Vandalia Aves, It would only serve the Linden Houses.  Operating via Van Siclen Ave, it serves the Linden Houses AND the Boulevard Houses.  In other words, the current routing of the B83 accurately reflects current ridership patterns and trends.

The only logical solution would be to have the B20 to operate via Flatlands Ave between Pennsylvania and Fountain Aves, a new Linden Blvd bus route, and have the B6 operate east of Pennsylvania Ave in one direction via Wortman Ave and the other via Cozine Ave.

Although a Linden Blvd bus route would fill major service gaps in East New York, and attract a whole lot of riders, the service planners, if it's up to them, will not let this happen.  They will easily dismiss this Linden Blvd route as too costly, that the B20 would duplicate the B84, though they would serve different markets, and that a new B6 route pattern would confuse current riders.

Like I said, my proposal is DOA, but I will say it anyway at the public hearing.

At least I will give them my two cents.

really I have a friend who works at MTA planning maybe I can discuss some things to know how it works. Flatlands has speed bumps which is why no bus runs on it.

Extend the B13 to New Lots Avenue via the proposed B84 routing or with some modifications along Vandalia Avenue between Erskine Street and Elton Street.  With regard to the one way Bklyn. Dev Center/Gateway Center Mall loop the B13 bus toward Ridgewood would stop at Erskine Street and the B13 toward New Lots Avenue would stop at Seaview Avenue and two B13 bus stops would be placed along Fountain Avenue in front of the Brooklyn Developmental Center.  They could also extend the Q8 to Elton Street/Flatlands Avenue as well using the same methodology with regard to the bus stops around the Bklyn. Dev Center/Gateway Center Mall Loop. 

Just a though.

B20 Ridgewood To East New York

VIA Penn ave, New lots ave, Van siclen ave, Wortman then regular route to east new york

B83 Broadway Junction To Spring Creek

VIA Penn ave

B84 New lots Station To Gateway Mall

VIA Ashford St, Wortman ave, Penn ave, Flatlands ave, Fountain Ave, Seaveiw ave, eskine st, Vandala ave

Just a though.

VIA Penn ave, New lots ave, Van siclen ave, Wortman then regular route to east new york

VIA Penn ave

VIA Ashford St, Wortman ave, Penn ave, Flatlands ave, Fountain Ave, Seaveiw ave, eskine st, Vandala ave

Too much meandering. Your adding travel time for no reason. And ruining the B20/84 for no reason. And whatever reason it can't be justified anyway. B83 doesn't need to move right now. That is like why people hate some SCT routes. But then again it's just a thought but not a good idea.

Just a though.

VIA Penn ave

- If they'd have the B83 run along penn, that's exactly what I think the MTA would do with the B20....

- As for your B84 suggestion, I partially agree w/ QJT....

I see what you're trying to do, but problem is the difference b/w wortman & flatlands is only 2 blocks (albeit long blocks, but still)....

To have the route double back to that extent wouldn't be worth it IMO....

Extend the B13 to New Lots Avenue via the proposed B84 routing or with some modifications along Vandalia Avenue between Erskine Street and Elton Street.  With regard to the one way Bklyn. Dev Center/Gateway Center Mall loop the B13 bus toward Ridgewood would stop at Erskine Street and the B13 toward New Lots Avenue would stop at Seaview Avenue and two B13 bus stops would be placed along Fountain Avenue in front of the Brooklyn Developmental Center.  They could also extend the Q8 to Elton Street/Flatlands Avenue as well using the same methodology with regard to the bus stops around the Bklyn. Dev Center/Gateway Center Mall Loop.

My idea consists of extending the B84 to city line (linden plaza apts.) over sending the B13 to new lots (3) via the proposed 84 routing..... B13 is long & meandering enough a route - even with it no longer running up to Williamsburg.....

The last thing the Q8 needs is an extension; even if the B13 were to be extended to the (3), there wouldn't be much of a point having the B13 & the Q8 serving the mall from both sides.... 1 route accomplishing that is good enough, and IMO, it need not be a route coming from Queens.......

But I will agree with you on one thing, there should be a route that serves gateway mall from both sides....

- If they'd have the B83 run along penn, that's exactly what I think the MTA would do with the B20....

I see what you're trying to do, but problem is the difference b/w wortman & flatlands is only 2 blocks (albeit long blocks, but still)....

My idea consists of extending the B84 to city line (linden plaza apts.) over sending the B13 to new lots (3) via the proposed 84 routing..... B13 is long & meandering enough a route - even with it no longer running up to Williamsburg.....

The last thing the Q8 needs is an extension; even if the B13 were to be extended to the (3), there wouldn't be much of a point having the B13 & the Q8 serving the mall from both sides.... 1 route accomplishing that is good enough, and IMO, it need not be a route coming from Queens.......

But I will agree with you on one thing, there should be a route that serves gateway mall from both sides....

You can cut the B84 back to van siclen. That adds run time to a already slow route leave the B13.

My reception of the route is lukewarm.....

It will definitely be used, and I wish the route had been in existence when I was in the area years ago.  It will give residents more shopping options.

My only objection is the lack of North-South routes in ENY...you have some along Pennsylvania Av (the 20 and 83) and the next North-South route is about 2 miles away (B13). I really would like this route to connect to either the Van Siclen Av or Shephard av local stations on the (C).

Taking it a step further, I would extend it to Jamaica Av or Fulton st.

Trust me, people would definitely use a service like that. There are lots of factory workers (Flatlands av) who need to get to the subway. The walk to Van Siclen Av or Shephard Av on the (C) is very long-- about 15-20 mins, depending on your speed. Not to mention you have schools in the area. Also, people might want to go to Fulton st (Cypress Hills)--there's decent shopping there too.

To summarize, the B84 is a good idea, but I would have taken it a step further and extended it to Fulton st or jamaica Av, making connections with the (C) train and the (J).

ENY needs another north-south route.

You can cut the B84 back to van siclen. That adds run time to a already slow route leave the B13.

......Except I'm not suggesting anything be done to the B13 - that was Transit222's idea.....

My reception of the route is lukewarm.....

It will definitely be used, and I wish the route had been in existence when I was in the area years ago.  It will give residents more shopping options.

My only objection is the lack of North-South routes in ENY...you have some along Pennsylvania Av (the 20 and 83) and the next North-South route is about 2 miles away (B13). I really would like this route to connect to either the Van Siclen Av or Shephard av local stations on the (C).

Taking it a step further, I would extend it to Jamaica Av or Fulton st.

Trust me, people would definitely use a service like that. There are lots of factory workers (Flatlands av) who need to get to the subway. The walk to Van Siclen Av or Shephard Av on the (C) is very long-- about 15-20 mins, depending on your speed. Not to mention you have schools in the area. Also, people might want to go to Fulton st (Cypress Hills)--there's decent shopping there too.

To summarize, the B84 is a good idea, but I would have taken it a step further and extended it to Fulton st or jamaica Av, making connections with the (C) train and the (J).

ENY needs another north-south route.

err people prefer the (A) over the (C) sorry not good enough.

I don't understand your comment. The Express stations are Broadway junction and Euclid Av. There are buses serving those stations.

You missed the crux of my argument.

I clearly stated that there was no north-south bus route for nearly 2 miles from Pennsylvania av to Fountain av (actually Crescent st). I said that I think there should be a service filling that gap. The stations would be along the way of that route, and also serve to shuttle teachers and workers to the subway as well as give ENY residents more shopping options--either at Gateway Mall or Fulton st. 

Trust me, I know East New York extremely well. Going north--south is a pain in the behind. If you're not near Pennsylvania av or Euclid av (and Cypress Hills projects), you pretty much have to call a cab service to go north and south. The B13 is very slow too.

East New York is a HUGE area (land area) and bigger than most people think. It is actually 3 miles from Jamaica Av to Gateway Mall....and you haven't left the neighborhood, and yes, I consider "Cypress Hills" East New York.

When I was out there, it was a 15 minute walk to get to the (C). There are many people who take that walk, trust me.

A bus would be very helpful and I am almost certain it would get decent ridership.

I will draw a map to show what i think the route should look like.

I am getting frustrated here....how do I upload a map i just drew?

I see no options to upload something from my laptop....

If it's a PDF, just upload it to this site: http://pdfuploader.com/ and post the link.

If it's an image file, upload it to an image hosting site, click on the photo when you post, then place the URL. Make sure that url ends in the image extension. (Such as .jpg, .png, .gif)

After I uploaded my images on flickr or any other hosting site, I right-click and 'copy-image' and then paste it in my posts. The image shows up full-length when I paste it, Just be simply Ctrl+P. I never really use the IMG/URL/IMG code thing, it screwed me up. As threxx said, make sure it's the following formats he said.

but mostly when connecting from the bus.

By default....

In other words, it's easy to say that when there's no bus route that connects to the (C) at Van siclen & Shepherd......

I don't understand your comment. The Express stations are Broadway junction and Euclid Av. There are buses serving those stations.

You missed the crux of my argument.

I clearly stated that there was no north-south bus route for nearly 2 miles from Pennsylvania av to Fountain av (actually Crescent st). I said that I think there should be a service filling that gap. The stations would be along the way of that route, and also serve to shuttle teachers and workers to the subway as well as give ENY residents more shopping options--either at Gateway Mall or Fulton st. 

Trust me, I know East New York extremely well. Going north--south is a pain in the behind. If you're not near Pennsylvania av or Euclid av (and Cypress Hills projects), you pretty much have to call a cab service to go north and south. The B13 is very slow too.

East New York is a HUGE area (land area) and bigger than most people think. It is actually 3 miles from Jamaica Av to Gateway Mall....and you haven't left the neighborhood, and yes, I consider "Cypress Hills" East New York.

When I was out there, it was a 15 minute walk to get to the (C). There are many people who take that walk, trust me.

A bus would be very helpful and I am almost certain it would get decent ridership.

I will draw a map to show what i think the route should look like.

Most of us think there should be *some* bus service b/w those two points.... Problem is 1) the streets don't really allow for it, and 2) the MTA isn't gonna force the issue knowing they have the B13 in their hip pocket (so to speak)... I'm not defending the MTA here, but it is what it is..... This is a large reason why the B13 is as heavily utilized the way it is in City Line.... You'll get those that don't know any better to say "well what about the B20" - problem w/ that route for those particular folks is, it takes a detour southward (which is a backtrack) to serve the penn-wortman, linden, and boulevard houses; nevermind the time it takes to get to the (J) (for example) from that area....

If there was a sutter av service that turned up penn towards Broadway junction, that would help (somewhat), but the MTA isn't gonna do that either because of course they'll claim redundancy.... Sucks, but they're not in it to better serve its customers.....

Archived