Waterfront Bus Route Still on Track In Willamsburg

BM5 via Woodhaven

DNAinfo reports that the Williamsburg bus line proposed by the MTA this summer is actually on track. The route will connect the waterfront with Greenpoint and Long Island City, starting underneath the Williamsburg Bridge by the Marcy Avenue J train. According to DNAinfo, it will go “along Kent Avenue to Franklin Street in Greenpoint, and then on Green Street to McGuiness Boulevard before crossing the Pulaski Bridge and running up 11th Street in Long Island City. And to return from Queens, the bus would travel on 21st Street to Jackson Avenue and then cross the Pulaski Bridge back on McGuiness Boulevard, Freeman Street, Franklin Street and then Wythe Avenue.” MTA representatives will present plans to the community boards this winter, and because residents have long asked for service connecting Williamsburg to Queens it’ll likely move through the boards quickly.

For more info: http://www.brownstoner.com/blog/2012/12/waterfront-bus-route-still-on-track-in-williamsburg/

Don't know if I said this in the last discussion involving this route, but whenever this route comes to fruition, the B62 should revert back to its prior routing before it was made to directly serve Bridge plaza.... Also, the Q59 should be eliminated from serving kent & wythe (anything north of grand & west of bridge plaza really).... Both moves would save money, so that wouldn't be a problem....

As far as the B62 being enough, that's what I say, but you know how these "up & coming" areas are.....

Williamsburg & Hunterspoint/LIC falls in that description.....

From what I assume the B62 will get rerouted from Court Square on a more indirect path to Brooklyn.

Lets see how ridership tends out to be when the service starts.

Even if that's where this new route's supposed to terminate, Why do you think the 62 would get re-routed from court square?

Taking [11th st to 44th drive] is faster than taking [jackson av] (especially nowadays with what they did to jackson av) to get to court square from brooklyn...

In other words, the B62 is already / would end up being the slower option of the two routes....

Not sure what you're assuming they'd do to exacerbate the B62.....

Even if that's where this new route's supposed to terminate, Why do you think the 62 would get re-routed from court square?

Taking [11th st to 44th drive] is faster than taking [jackson av] (especially nowadays with what they did to jackson av) to get to court square from brooklyn...

In other words, the B62 is already / would end up being the slower option of the two routes....

Not sure what you're assuming they'd do to exacerbate the B62.....

That's the point, reroute it on 44 Drive and 11 st (more indirect but similar runtime) when this new service starts.

That's the point, reroute it on 44 Drive and 11 st (more indirect but similar runtime) when this new service starts.

What's the point? You think they're gonna have the B62 parallel this new waterfront route from court sq. towards Brooklyn?

I'm not getting what you're trying to say here.

Well It's entire route is already parallel, plus from the many times I've ridden the B62 , outside rush hours, the Jackson Avenue portion has no ridership, so you might want to serve some area that actually may benefit from the service.

Yeah, I've taken the thing on numerous occasions to get from queens to bridge plaza;

(as the current B62 as is & also back when it was the B61)....

Anyway, I don't think they're gonna have 62's follow (is what I meant by parallel) this new waterfront bus route to/from court square (via 11th av, via 44th dr).... Wouldn't make sense to leave jackson with no service b/w vernon-jackson subway & court square...... Saying that another way, there's no point in having both routes run along 11th to get to court sq....

Don't see where you'd garner anymore riders on the B62 along 11th, than you would keeping 62's on jackson av......

Routing these waterfront buses along 11th isn't for ridership purposes; it's to get w/e brooklynites that will end up taking those buses to the court sq. area quicker..... Why do you think that respective community board was making suggestions to where it would benefit Queens riders' needs as well? They realize that this new route is more for the benefit of Brooklyn patrons than Queens patrons in that area....

That's what I planned to do to te B62, especially if this B- Whatever gets extended to someplace or possibly gets combined with the Q103 somehow.

By the way does anyone know from what depot this route will be based of

LGA? GA?

The Q27 to Queens Plaza will really benefit riders lol

Don't know if I said this in the last discussion involving this route, but whenever this route comes to fruition, the B62 should revert back to its prior routing before it was made to directly serve Bridge plaza.... Also, the Q59 should be eliminated from serving kent & wythe (anything north of grand & west of bridge plaza really).... Both moves would save money, so that wouldn't be a problem....

As far as the B62 being enough, that's what I say, but you know how these "up & coming" areas are.....

Williamsburg & Hunterspoint/LIC falls in that description.....

Personally I would have this "willie b"/greenpoint route not run via proposed "B62"(not current old "B61" LIC-Greenpoint/Willie B-Downtown Brooklyn line)but after couple of stops in LIC area run at least rush hours to East Midtown area via Midtown Tunnel (soon to be Pepsi Cola tunnel joking about renaming all the major nyc bridges recently)

Or merge it with the Q103 to run to Astoria. It amazing there not yet a direct 1-seat ride between Astoria and Greenpoint/Williamsburg which IMO would do great.

This current plan by the (MTA) is nothing short of a short turn B62 (with exception of the East River Waterfront routing)along Kent/Franklin Street.

That's what I planned to do to te B62, especially if this B- Whatever gets extended to someplace or possibly gets combined with the Q103 somehow.

By the way does anyone know from what depot this route will be based of

LGA? GA?

The Q27 to Queens Plaza will really benefit riders lol

Well 99% chance that it'll be a TA route, so likely Grand Avenue will pick it up.

Personally I would have this "willie b"/greenpoint route not run via proposed "B62"(not current old "B61" LIC-Greenpoint/Willie B-Downtown Brooklyn line)but after couple of stops in LIC area run at least rush hours to East Midtown area via Midtown Tunnel (soon to be Pepsi Cola tunnel joking about renaming all the major nyc bridges recently)

Or merge it with the Q103 to run to Astoria. It amazing there not yet a direct 1-seat ride between Astoria and Greenpoint/Williamsburg which IMO would do great.

This current plan by the (MTA) is nothing short of a short turn B62 (with exception of the East River Waterfront routing)along Kent/Franklin Street.

First off, how you doing man? Haven't heard from you in the longest.

You do raise some interesting points I will say. Like I said, likely the route will operate out of Grand Avenue. This means that the route could possibly be interlined or merged with the B39 later down the line. But seriously, a route serving three boroughs? A little overkill in my opinion.

As for merging with the Q103, there is the MTAB issue to work around, and I personally don't feel that this proposed route can serve the entire Q103 route as an additional segment.

This bus route should be a part of a more comprehensive discussion about bus service in Northern Brooklyn and western Queens.

This is what I would do:

B24 - Greenpoint Avenue portion to the new route. Extend other portion via Queens Blvd, 43 St, Northern Blvd, 47 St(NB)/48 St (SB), 25 Ave, 49 St, Astoria Blvd, and Hazen St to 10 Ave. Redesignate this route as the Q90.

Q33 - Extend to Woodside LIRR Station.

Q53 - Cut back to Woodhaven Blvd-Queens Mall.

Q104 - Extend via Broadway to Woodhaven Blvd-Queens Mall.

The Q104 is dead except rush hours. The Q90 has to operate via 43 St instead of 48 St, because 48 St is not a through street along Queens Blvd. It would also put the Q90 near a public playground and, on Northern Blvd, a shopping mall.

BTW, for that reason, I would also have the Q66 operate via 36 Ave instead 35 Ave.

Discuss.

This bus route should be a part of a more comprehensive discussion about bus service in Northern Brooklyn and western Queens.

This is what I would do:

B24 - Greenpoint Avenue portion to the new route. Extend other portion via Queens Blvd, 43 St, Northern Blvd, 47 St(NB)/48 St (SB), 25 Ave, 49 St, Astoria Blvd, and Hazen St to 10 Ave. Redesignate this route as the Q90.

Q33 - Extend to Woodside LIRR Station.

Q53 - Cut back to Woodhaven Blvd-Queens Mall.

Q104 - Extend via Broadway to Woodhaven Blvd-Queens Mall.

The Q104 is dead except rush hours. The Q90 has to operate via 43 St instead of 48 St, because 48 St is not a through street along Queens Blvd. It would also put the Q90 near a public playground and, on Northern Blvd, a shopping mall.

BTW, for that reason, I would also have the Q66 operate via 36 Ave instead 35 Ave.

Discuss.

Q104 ridership is good anytime, trust me, I've taken it on Sundays at its bum headsets but you still see about 12 people. The Q53 SHOULD NOT! be cut to QCM due to the large amount of people that actually ride the Q53 past QCM from both points south of QCM and north, and nice versa. As for the Q104, IM fine with with the route taking 43 street, just make it serve the (7).

News flash: 12 people IS poor ridership. You have just proved that the current Q104 routing doesn't accurately reflect ridership patterns and trends.

The amount of people that use the Q53 north of the QCM would give my proposed Q104 the necessary boost in ridership that would make it a well-used route throughout the week! And that's a good thing.

News flash: 12 people IS poor ridership. You have just proved that the current Q104 routing doesn't accurately reflect ridership patterns and trends.

The amount of people that use the Q53 north of the QCM would give my proposed Q104 the necessary boost in ridership that would make it a well-used route throughout the week! And that's a good thing.

I just said it had 12 people on a sunday night at 60 minute headways (aka bum headways)

The Sunday ridership In the day is SRO, and worse probably even flagging during rush hours.

Archived